Start by marking “Baloney and Friends” as Want to Read:
Baloney and Friends

Baloney and Friends

Three-time Theodor Seuss Geisel Award recipient Greg Pizzoli launches a full-color graphic novel series about four funny friends that Dav Pilkey declares "will inspire young readers to write and draw their own stories"!
Meet Baloney! He's the star of this book, along with his best buddies: empathetic Peanut the horse, sensible Bizz the bumblebee, and grumpy Krabbit -- h
Published April 14th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Baloney and Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baloney and Friends

Start your review of Baloney and Friends
Lisa Boyd
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-challenge
Wonderful intro to these new buds. This will be an instant hit for those who love Elephant and piggie and Narwal and Jelly. I received this book as an E-galley through Netgalley.
Meghan
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Disney Book Group - Disney-Hyperion in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was smiling from ear to ear throughout the book and I was so fascinated by the hysterical stories including the magic show and the reactions to all of the characters that I could not stop laughing and wanting to read more and more. I also love the drawings and illustrations here in the book that they totally relate to t
Liz Todd
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love Greg Pizzoli and love this new book!
Peacegal
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a cute beginner comic for young readers. In both art style and presentation, it recalls the ELEPHANT & PIGGIE series. A section in the back gives instructions for drawing the simple characters, so kids can create their own comics, which is a nice touch.

Veg*n parents note: While there are no direct references to eating animals, there are character "joke" names such as Baloney (a pig) and Captain Skypork (a superhero alter ego for Baloney the pig). Veg*n parents will have to decide for th
Katie Lawrence
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a cute, charming beginning graphic novel! I love that Baloney and his friends are pretty easy to draw, and that Pizzoli includes drawing instructions for all four characters in the back. Stylistically this reminded me of Elephant and Piggie, which I also love. Great, funny short stories. The colored word bubbles that match the color of the speaking character will be a great help to readers who are new to comic book reading. Just a great addition to our library collection!
Angela
Jun 04, 2020 added it
Shelves: humor, beginner, friends
Everything Pizzoli creates is pure gold.
Lupe
Jul 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
My younger students will love this! We need more graphic novels without violence and difficult words to introduce graphic novels to our younger children. I love the friendship that is shown in this book. Thanks, Greg!
Jacki
One of those cute "I graduated from Elephant and Piggy" transitional series. I would recommend Narwhal and Jelly over this, but would recommend this to readers who are waiting on the next Narwhal book (like me!) ...more
DaNae
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Not every vinette worked as well as the first, but I would read a second installment.
Pam
Graphic Novel
I received an electronic ARC from Disney Book Group through NetGalley.
Baloney and his three friends have several adventures in this first book of a new series. The humor will appeal to mid-elementary students. The simple to follow text and brightly colored illustrations put the emphasis on friendship and fun. This is a next step book for those who love Willem's Elephant & Piggie series. This pig, horse, bee and rabbit entertain us for years. Looking forward to more in the series.
Roben
Meet Baloney! Baloney is a pig. Who is a little bit afraid of swimming, sometimes feels sad, and LOVES to do magic tricks. Also -- friends! Peanut the horse, Bizz the bee, and Krabbit the rabbit. The friends all have wonderfully unique personalities that create a lovely balance. I think this is a great addition to early elementary graphic novel collections.
Margie
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Regardless of your age, laughter can lift you up. It can take an upside-down day, turning it right side up. If you can share this laughter, the happiness it creates escalates. Presently, it's a bit difficult to spread this form of joy with anyone other than those with whom you are sheltering or virtually, BUT . . .

When you think of authors and illustrators who make books filled with playful plots and comical characters, let us imagine they are there with us when we open the covers of their books
Jessica
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think students getting into graphic novels will find this graphic novel hilarious. It is definitely 1, 2nd and 3rd grade level humor! (ex. Wanna see this carrot disappear? Then he eats it.) Introducing the 4 characters was funny in itself. The how to draw the 4 characters at the end was great. I have so many students who love that part of it.

I loved the idea of rereading it at the end of the book.

The grouchy rabbits name is Krabbit. The rabbit is very " crabby " in his attitude. Even in the dr
Raven Black
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Some assistance with some words might be needed (ex: buyoant) but overall easy to read. An Elephant & Piggie/ Narwhal & Jellyfish like stories. Adults might get a few jokes kids might miss, but very kid-aimed for humor, style and characters. Modern sensibilities that can boarder on crude/lowbrow. Most kids K (high) to 3 (low) grades will like. The story/chapter breaks allow for natural pauses so does not need to be read all at once.
Dina
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Baloney and Friends is an interesting read, but one I predict my students at school will love. It is endearing in the fact that it has video games, friends, is a graphic novel, contains mini-lessons on how to draw the characters and simple text--which will create an automatic interest for many youngsters. It is funny and has great illustrations as well. I will definitely be recommending this book to my students when we return in the fall.
Barbara
Jun 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Baloney the pig can do magic! Well....sort of...not really. But, he and his four silly friends will get those beginning readers giggling in Baloney and Friends, by Greg Pizzoli! This lively book is geared toward early readers transitioning into chapter books with short chapters that can be read in stand alone sessions. An easy lesson in in the back of the book will teach readers how to draw the characters. For ages 5 -8.
Marissa Grossman
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Opening this graphic novel opens the reader to four new literary friends, Baloney, Peanut, Bizz, and Krabbit. While these characters live on the page, this graphic novel helps them spring off the page with emotions and realism. This is an excellent option for young readers interested in graphic novels but are still in the early chapter book phase. Young artists will also enjoy the drawing instructions at the back of the book to create their own adventures for these four friends.
Julia
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hilarious and cute and sweet and fun, the perfect graphic novel for younger kids by a Geisel-award-winning writer who knows how to write for beginning readers. It's just so fun. Including the drawing instructions is a great move, along with the side-comment about how graphic novels take a long time to make, despite demands to have more NOW. Hopefully this will help kids with the wait.

I am still laughing over the comedic timing of "And I'm Peanut!" on page 9. Master stroke.
Abby Johnson
Hand this to fans of Elephant and Piggie who are ready for a longer story and readers of Narwhal and Jelly. Baloney and his cast of friends are full of personality in this short graphic novel chapter book. I find it a little disturbing that the protagonist is a pig named Baloney, but THAT ASIDE, I really enjoyed these characters and the simple, humorous stories. I hope for more Baloney!
Ann Haefele
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great intro to some new characters who I hope will appear in future books. Readers who like Elephant and Piggie will enjoy these graphic cartoon creatures who made me smile throughout. A bonus is the section at the end showing readers how to draw the characters of Baloney, Peanut, BIzz and Krabbit.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
As other readers have previously stated, this a good book to read if you're a fan of Mo Willem's Elephant & Piggie. It's longer than E & P and is set up as an easy graphic novel. It's about friendship that has meaning and silliness interwoven in the short stories. I am looking forward to more Baloney and Friends adventures.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Westerville
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I seriously laughed out loud reading this. It's a simple, cute graphic novel for beginning readers. It reminded me of the Elephant and Piggie series by Mo Willems." - Lisa, Youth Services

Reserve a library copy
Amber
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
So adorable.  Fans of Elephant and Piggie will love Baloney and Friends. A perfect early reader, joyfully nestled between picture book and chapter book.  The how to draw instructions in the back provided a great activity for kids as well. Can't wait to see what other adventures Baloney and Friends get into next! ...more
Destinee Sutton
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
My kid likes Hi, Jack! so I knew she'd like this. It's definitely sweet than the Jack books, but her favorite character is Krabbit (the grouch). ...more
Laela
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is all fine and dandy, until the last chapter and then it turns into a super star.

In the last chapter the blue horse helps the orange pig work through his feelings by just listening. Such a good message for little people. I wish there were more stories like this.
Krissy Neddo
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Not a first purchase, but good general purchase for beginning readers in a graphic novel format. Covers are the bases with speech bubbles, friendship up and downs, video game mini chapters, and how to draw the characters on final pages.
Rebecca
Oct 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Charming, but meant for younger readers than even my beginning-reader seven-year-old. Chapters are a bit brief, and though funny in places, each story lacks the climactic tension necessary for a fully satisfying little kid book.
Kathy
Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
A step up from Willems' "Elephant and Piggie" books, and a read-alike to Blabey's "Bad Guys" or Dog Man. Simple art, simple words, silly situations. For instance, one of Baloney's "magic tricks" is to eat the carrot to make it disappear. ...more
S
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This reads at a Narwahl & Jelly level. Great for that crowd. The sort of disjointed storytelling is very Captain Underpants-y so ...this has an audience FOR sure. I love the drawing tutorial at the end.
Liv
Apr 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Age rating: 6-8

This was a wholesome episodic comic book about some animal friends hanging out. It had several jokes that little ones might find funny. The panels are very easy to follow and easy to read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Pizza and Taco: Who's the Best?
  • Stuck Together (Pea, Bee, & Jay #1)
  • Fox & Rabbit
  • King of the Birds (Arlo & Pips #1)
  • Donut Feed the Squirrels
  • See the Cat: Three Stories About a Dog
  • A Polar Bear in the Snow
  • Our Favorite Day of the Year
  • Happy Narwhalidays (Narwhal and Jelly #5)
  • Our Friend Hedgehog: The Story of Us
  • Yorick and Bones
  • What About Worms!? (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #7)
  • Your Place in the Universe
  • Magnificent Homespun Brown: A Celebration
  • Doodleville (Doodleville, #1)
  • Nana Akua Goes to School
  • Sun Flower Lion
  • I Am Every Good Thing
Greg Pizzoli is the author and illustrator of The Watermelon Seed, winner of the Theodor Seuss Geisel Award, Number One Sam, Templeton Gets His Wish, Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower, and coming in April 2016, Good Night Owl. He lives in Philadelphia.