Start by marking “Wolverine: Weapon X” as Want to Read:
Wolverine: Weapon X

Wolverine: Weapon X

(Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #72-84)

Wolverine's a lot of things to a lot of people, but to one infamous enclave he was nothing but a weapon. And weapons kill people. They found that out well enough. Find out for yourself in this prequel to recent revelations of the murderous mysteries that have mesmerized our favorite mutant! COLLECTING: MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS 72-84
Published May 12th 2020 by Marvel (first published 1993)

Start your review of Wolverine: Weapon X
Ronyell
5.5 stars!

Brief history:

Ever since I heard so much about Wolverines past in the Weapon X program and how much that played a huge role in the character he has become, I wanted to try and read more on his back story of being apart of Weapon X. To be honest, Wolverine: Weapon X was the first story I have read that details the horrors that Wolverine has to go through when he was apart of the Weapon X program and I must say that I really enjoyed this book much more than I expected!

What is the
Lindsay
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wolverine fans, completists
The original telling of how Wolverine got his adamantium skeleton, first serialized in Marvel Comics Presents #72-84. Very confusing, nonlinear storyline, chaotic art/panel arrangments, dialogue mostly medical technobabble (from the doctors/nurses operating on Wolverine) or inarticulate grunts, yells and roars (from Wolverine). For most of the story, Wolverine is either anesthetized or freaking out and going into berserk rages, so there's not a lot of focus on his character. Instead, the ...more
Donovan

"A creature of such power--shaken by his own shadow! Driven by fear--of himself!"

YES. Part Wolverine's diary, part medical procedural, part horror and psychological thriller. If you've ever wondered what happened to Wolverine at Weapon X, this is the book.

There are obvious ties to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and themes of human versus monster and dehumanization. This is as much a soulful biography as prototypical Wolverine slasher.

In addition to his fantastic and fast paced writing, Barry
Stephen
3.5 stars. This is an excellent Wolverine story that was originally published in Marvel Comics Presents #72 through #84. Introduced Cyber, one of my favorite Wolverine villains.
Sam Quixote
This book explains how Wolverine came to have adamantium claws/skeleton. Thats it. Hes abducted, taken to a lab (where the entire book takes place), hes mostly unconscious speaking very little, the adamantium bonds with his bones and his healing factor prevents him from dying, the scientist tries to control him, fails, Wolverines memory is wiped in the process, Wolverine kills everyone and escapes into the wilderness.

If youve read a load of Wolverine books or even seen the first 2 X-Men movies
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Wolverine fans from the movie and tv shows
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) by: Mike
My friend is the biggest Wolverine fan in the Milky Way solar system. He loaned me his Weapon X comics to read and to share the 'Wolverine' love. It was very good. I admit that Wolverine isn't my favorite X-Men (that's Gambit), but he's a very intriguing character with a dark side that I find appealing mixed with this desire for justice. What can I say? I love my antiheroes. The man has had his share of tragedy, and seeing how he gained the adamantium helped me to see him in a deeper light.

Stephen
Barry Windsor-Smith remains one of my all-time favorite comic artists. Completely unique. Smith's writing on the other hand is often poor and this collection is no exception. A weak build-up; jumpy narrative. The "scientists" and security are all doofuses. Enjoy the art, skip the story.
Arpad Okay
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pulp fans, pkd fans
Recommended to Arpad by: peter lep
Shelves: comics
they don't write 'em like they used to. bloody dehumanizing horror more fit for a jim thompson cyberpunk novel than the pages of marvel comics presents. a childhood favorite of mine, it stands the test of time. i guess my dad knew BWS from his conan days, which is why he would buy possibly the bloodiest comic i've ever seen (worse than JTHM? possibly!) for his eager grade school-aged son. it's not all exposed ribs and bloody snrkt's, it's got a surreal cronenberg like i said cyberpunkness to it. ...more
Sans
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes. Great origin story but I dont recommend reading it when you have insomnia. I ended up with weird/bad dreams when I finally dropped off. ...more
Himanshu Karmacharya
Weapon X is drawn so beautifully that it leaves some unforgettable images in the mind of the readers. The writing was decent but I wasn't a huge fan of the narrative bubbles. They appeared so jumbled up and convoluted.
Despite the faults, this book is an essential add to the Wolverine mythos.
Amy Rae
One of those books that I think is a classic for a reason. It's unsettling as hell and pretty creative in the way it tells the story of where all that adamantium came from. After a brief look at Logan before he's captured for the Weapon X program, Windsor-Smith builds the narrative around the scientists and security keeping Logan under lock and key. For them, Logan's an animal to be controlled and tested, not a person; their dry observations contrast sharply with the pain he's clearly suffering ...more
Logan
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book! So this is the story of how wolverine gets his animatum claws (not X-Men origins wolverine, don't even mention it!) I was surprised this book doesn't have any dialogue from Wolverine himself, its basically the scientists and them installing and testing Wolverines claws till the bloody confrontation at the end! In the end not bad!
Ann D-Vine
Before reading Weapon X, I didn't have a fear of being jammed with cables and needles and wires and mechanical horrors from beyond the imagination of even the folks who made anime like Akira or Ghost in the Shell or Neon Genesis Evangelion. I... I really wasn't anticipating that Weapon X could be horrifying? Maybe it's because I know (who doesn't?) the story of Wolverine in the Weapon X program. It's simple! Wolverine is taken into a secret underground research complex, he has Adamantium bonded ...more
Izzy
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me think about how your fears can stop you from accomplishing things when Wolverine was fighting skeletons on a boat. He'd said his greatest fear was the ocean, as his bones were scientifically replaced with Adamantuim - a very heavy metal like solid - which made him really heavy.
"People wouldn't think I had any fears. Well, I don't - it's more of a phobia. But have you ever tried to swim with several tonnes worth of metal inside your body? It sucks." He'd once thought. But his
Becky
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I'm not sure I like the false ending thing. It went along and I thought things were really happening, and then it turned out Logan had been set up or something (I'm still not sure) so then he had to go back and do it for real. I don't really know what it added. I suppose good for Logan for seeing through it?
If it wasn't for that I would have rated it higher. It was gruesome and awful, as it should have been.
Dimitra
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw the illustrations I thought that they were "too much"...
But after reading it, I think that they were perfect! Very powerful and strong!
The story is heartbreaking...
No more words can describe Logan's story...
Jesús
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was not expecting this to hit me as hard as it did. I mean, its just a campy, B-movie-style retelling of Wolverines (from Marvels X-Men) origin story. But its somehow much, much more than that.

Most of the action takes place in the claustrophobic confines of a few laboratory cells. But to call what happens in the book action is to give more momentum to the books plot than there actually is. Its both an intensely psychological and a disturbingly bodily book. Its visual storytelling told in the
Robert
Sep 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Wolverine origin story in the style of the 1990s. Not a huge insight into the character within this plot but a good grounding that will make up some of Logans foundational attitudes and approaches as his story continues. ...more
Tom Ewing
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the classic Marvel projects Id never actually read, maybe because even at the time Wolverine felt so over-exposed - how little we knew - that the idea of finding out his origin felt like a chore.

Of course Weapon X isnt really about Wolverine or his origin; Logan here is the monster in a horror film, and the comic is a late bloom in that post-Dark Knight flowering of superhero comics. Windsor-Smith is the perfect auteur for a story thats half barbarian, half cyberpunk, so of course it all
Jedhua
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
ESTIMATED DNF RATING: {1/5 star to 1.5+/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <1/5 stars>
Koen
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

Seeing Logan suffer (of course not why this is great) after being attacked by Magneto, was hard to imagine, seeing his immaculate regeneration time after time .. But this was something else ...

But in the aftermath we get a story seeing his vulnerability and also his determination, which makes this one hell of a story arc..

Won't go to much into detail of course, you know me ;)
Just pick it up when you get the chance, you'll be wowed for sure!

Sandy
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Oh this.... is... lovely!!
Brutal, raw and heart breaking.
Amazing illustrations.
Matty Dub
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3rd reading, as always its surprising to see this first time author write as well as he draws.

5/5
Thomas
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a masterpiece. This story delves into Wolverine's past, and how he went from being Logan to becoming The Wolverine. It's not pretty. It's not humane. It's brutal. It's violent. It's dehumanizing. It is glorious. Barry Windsor-Smith is a master at his craft, and we are delving into the depths of human depravity, where we believe others are less than we are, and we brutally set them to tasks as if they were not human. It is gritty. It is gory. When a couple of critics said that Barry ...more
Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson
4.6/5

After watching the amazing send-off that is Logan in theaters, I went on a bit of an X-Men binge. I watched the first five movies right after and then bought a couple of Wolverine graphic novels. This is one of them.

Weapon X is a story I've wanted to read for ages. Now that I've finally read it, I'm not disappointed. Matter of fact, my expectations have been exceeded, somewhat.

The horrors Logan went through during the process of the Experiment X program were nothing to scoff at. The story
Paul
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1993, that was the time that Wolverine was still an interesting and enigmatic character for me. A time when he still wasn't making guest appearances in every second marvel comic. A time where, sure he was a force to be reckoned with, but still wasn't as indestructible as he'd later be showned to be.
There was still alot of mystery to the character back then. Just how old was he? What exactly was the Weapon X thing? Why would he even want to join a team like the X-Men being such a loner?
Is he
Steve Dilks
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I put off reading this for years. I have no idea why, I just never got round to it. Even at the height of my THE UNCANNY X-MEN buying days in the late '80's/early '90's, I always seemed to pass it up. Well, watching the excellent LOGAN movie changed all that and reignited my interest in the character.
Barry Windsor-Smith's WEAPON X is a hellishly thrilling ride. Full of science fiction medical horror and visceral carnage. The second half of the story plays like a tense horror movie with the
JB
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a gruesome story. What terrible things were done to Logan.

My favorite part of the book is when Logan is hanging over the professor and the professor says to Logan: "You are an animal!" to which Logan responds: "I am Logan! Logan! I am a man! And you are the animal!"

That says it al. This story shows who the real animal is. Not Logan, but the people in the Weapon X program.

Wolverine is my favorite Marvel character, always has been. It was heartwrenching how these "people" or should I say
Rick
Windsor-Smith's depiction of Logan's transformation into Wolverine still works. This 'origin story' is a magnificent piece of narrative illustration that truely exemplifies the potential of what graphic novels, or more accurately the drawn novel, can and should aspire to be. Windsor-Smith melds words and pictures into a single form in which the letters on the page and where they are placed are as meaningful to the entire narrative as what they are saying. This unification of all the elements of ...more
Drown Hollum
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhero
Weapon X is a fine bit of Marvel history that I'm proud to own. The aesthetic of Windsor-Smith's tale is unique, and integral to Wolverine's mythology. The art work is iconic, and the genesis story is one that is uniquely Logan. Other aspects don't hold up to the test of time though, including confused and jumbled lettering that made the already chaotic plot more difficult to follow. This collection is unfortunately just tough to read, between the scatterbrained lettering patterns and the chosen ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Wolverine: Origin II
  • Wolverine: Old Man Logan
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • X-Men: Days of Future Past
Barry Windsor-Smith (born Barry Smith) is a British comic book illustrator and painter whose best known work has been produced in the United States. He is known for his work on Marvel Comics' Conan the Barbarian from 1970 to 1973, and for his work on Wolverine particularly the original Weapon X story arc. ...more

Marvel Comics Presents (1988) (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Marvel Comics Presents #26