Start by marking “The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #10)

The Resurrection Man

(Kelling & Bittersohn #10)

Boston-based art detectives Sarah Kelling and husband Max Bittersohn were hoping for some time off after their last case, especially since Max is still recovering from a broken leg he suffered during the investigation. That hope dies quickly, though, when they run into Countess Lydia Ouspenska.

The Countess, an expert forger of Byzantine icons, tells them that an old
Published August 1st 2001 by iBooks (first published April 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Resurrection Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Resurrection Man

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskeyMystic River by Dennis LehaneThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodJohnny Tremain by Esther Forbes1776 by David McCullough
Boston Books
298 books — 241 voters
The Secret History by Donna TarttThe English Patient by Michael OndaatjeDoomsday Book by Connie WillisThe Pelican Brief by John GrishamSmall Gods by Terry Pratchett
Best Books of 1992
379 books — 145 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #10)
Tracey
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I've read Charlotte MacLeod. I know I have a shelf full of her proto-cozy mysteries, the slightly goofy series or three about unusual people who happen to be capable detectives… I don't seem to have ever had this particular book. It's been a very long time, so I don't remember if the things that bothered me here are endemic in her writing or specific to this outing. I don't remember being bothered in the past, but I was less tetchy then.

Run-on sentences were
Johnny
Jun 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
As a regular mystery reader, it seems rare when yours truly falls for every “red herring” in the book. The Resurrection Man is one of those books that took me on exactly that wild ride. Generally, when I read Charlotte MacLeod’s work, I have a vague sense of where it is going. In this case, I locked onto the wrong suspect from the beginning and pegged another incorrect suspect as that suspect’s accomplice. I haven’t been so off-base since arguing with my father as a teenager.
Normally, MacLeod’s
Susan in NC
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun revisiting Boston with Max and Sarah Bittersohn and Cousin Brooks and Theonia. This is the Sarah Kelling Bittersohn I first fell in love with, she of the Boston brownstone on Tulip Street surrounded by crazy, cheap, pushy Kelling relatives; the snarky humor, witty dialogue and clever, twisted puzzles are back, keeping readers entertained right up to the end!
Betty
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, e-books
It has been a long time that I had forgotten how much I enjoy Charlotte MacLeod books. This one did not disappoint me. Max Bittersohn is recovering from an injury so they are staying at Sarah home in Boston. Max met a master restorer of art pieces. He has set up a home for his technicians. Short!y after the pieces are restored and return to their owners, they are stolen. An old family friend is found murdered in a gruesome fashion. There is a strange Indian dressed in a baggy red dress jumping ...more
Robyn
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mystery
Early Bird Book Deal | Astonishingly bad | This was beyond boring for the first 75% of the book, and then went completely off the rails for the final quarter. I had to force myself to keep reading, because it was so dull, which was strange because I've been reading this series all week with no issues. The culprit was obvious before any crimes had taken place, and totally ridiculous things kept happening (awful exposition with no justification, long unnecessary passages with far too much detail, ...more
Susan
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A little slower moving than some of its predecessors, but still a good read. Max is still laid up but has graduated to a cane instead of a crutch. The title refers to a restorer, Arbalest, who has set up a 'guild' of specialists in restoring paintings, broken china, etc., one of whom is Max's old friend Lydia Ouspenska. Max is curious because Aralest's patrons all seem to suffer robberies after using his services. When Aunt Anora Protheroe's maid calls Sarah in a panic, Sarah goes to the rescue ...more
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies-mysteries
This wasn't the book I thought I was getting (I totally missed the zero and thought it was book one in the series, haha), but once I started reading I realized I hadn't read this one before. Strange, because Charlotte MacLeod, Sarah and Max are some of the folks that started me down the cozy road!

While not my favorite of the series, I enjoyed getting to see Max and Sarah again and I am absolutely thrilled to have found this on NetGalley. I'm going to have to go back and track down the earlier
Kris
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
A quick easy read, the villian reveal wasn't much of a surprise, at that point it was the only person left. The book has an interesting twist at the three quarter point, that pushes forward into the conclusion. A newish Kelling is added to the main cast adding a nice mixture of youth and cockiness.

The book is a bit wince worthy as it was wrtten nearly 30 years ago and some of the language, particularly the repeated use of Oriental, is considered racist these days. But if you can give it a pass
Kyrie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another mystery that involves Sarah Kelling Bittersohn's incredibly large and wealthy Bostonian family. I didn't figure it all out, which made it a bit more exciting than usual. I get a kick out of the insane social mores, and the equally insane acceptance of eccentricities.

(for my own reference, this one involves a Tamil man in a red jogging suit.)
Clarissa
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Sandra OKey
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a re-read for me. Now I remember why I loved her books so much!
Michele
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great installment in the series, learned a bit about India along the way!
Dogsandbooks
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Pretty good reliable fun in the classic style. Dpl e book via total boox
Kathy
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobooks
I enjoy being read to. This isn’t MacLeod’s funniest, but it was a good listen while driving to and from errands and appointments.
FangirlNation
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Max runs into his old friend, the former forger of Byzantine icons, the Countess Lydia Ospenska, and begins another adventure of murder and mayhem in the art world in Charlotte MacLeod's The Resurrection Man, the tenth book in the Sarah Kelling/ Max Bittersohn series. Already curious about the art restorer who runs an atelier after the style of a medieval guild, complete with velvet costumes and live-in facilities, Max begins to take further notice of Bartolo Arbolest when several of Arbolest's ...more
Jessi
When I saw this book was available as an ARC, I sort of recognized the author's name. I had read the previous book in this series last year and had had little problem jumping into the story. That was not so with this book. There are a lot of characters. A LOT. And while there is some background given for each, knowing the characters ahead of time would have been very beneficial.
Unlike the previous book, this book actually focuses on the titular series characters. Max is somewhat restricted
Ed
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
#10 in the Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn mystery series.

If she weren't so fabulous, the Countess Lydia Ouspenska might be considered a gangster's moll. The last time she met Max Bittersohn, Boston's famed art-fraud investigator, she was forging minute Byzantine masterpieces to make ends meet. But when Max bumps into her on the Common, the Countess is back on her feet. She has taken up with Bartolo Arbalest, a master forger currently masquerading as an art restorer. And as Bittersohn knows all
Linda Brue
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Sarah Kelling and her husband Max Bittersohn are spending the summer staying in Sarah's Beacon Hill house in Boston while Max recovers from a broken leg suffered in their previous case. The two are private investigators, specializing in stolen or missing art and antiques. Sarah's hopes that a new case won't come their way until Max's leg mends are shattered when her aged old friend George Protheroe is found stabbed to death in the mansion he shared with wife Anora.

This book isn't quite up to
Judy Schultze
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
10th book in one of my favorite cozy mystery series. These are books I keep on my bookshelf to reread again & again. The plots are always well thought out, but it's the writing and the characters that make the books. Sarah Kelling & Max Bittersohn and especially their family & friends are quirky, but lovable. There are touches of comedy & romance throughout the stories of a detective(s) with ties to Boston Society & the genteel life. In Resurrection Man the story revolves ...more
Margaret
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
On parentage: "...the (her) shy young mother had not been bold enough to ask her father what his last name was during their brief but fruitful relationship." What a delightful circumlocution in this romp of a happy-endings mystery. I probably miss half the references--or more. I also get exposure to words I am not familiar with. Such as Stymphalian.
Highly recommended. If you like that sort of thing.
Maria
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sarah and Max are back and investigating a murder and theft. There are a host of new characters as well as a return of many of the old characters. We see a new side to Jesse Kelling, Lionel's oldest son, now 16. I have to admit he has a very strange mother. It's a shame there are no more books in this series. I'm still wondering what happened to the Count from the last book, but was very pleased to see Lydia Ouspenska back again.
Teri-K
I remembered that the later books in this series weren't that good, but I really enjoyed this one, #10. It had an interesting set-up and enough action to keep the plot moving. I also appreciated that it focused on Max and Sarah and didn't get too caught up in other people. Now I look forward to rereading more of this series.
Shannon
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
It held my interest enough to finish, but the writing style wasn't great. The characters were hard to keep track of, there were comma splices on nearly every page, and MacLeod often chose big words where small ones would do. (I had a really hard time believing people -- even Boston blue bloods -- would use some of those words in everyday conversation.)
Michele
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it
It seems there are a lot of books called "Resurrection Man." It certainly is a compelling title. Anyway, this is the murder mystery one. It might not be the best Kelling/Bittersohn mystery, but it was entertaining, especially the last few chapters which are quite funny.
Lexi
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A bit darker than most of the MacLeod books thus far, but Sarah and Max Bittersohn, her detective couple, are back with a vengeance in this one. The ending is a bit convoluted and not quite plausible, but creative and fun characters make it worthwhile. Enjoyable read.
Elaine
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Charming, a pleasant, gentle read.
Jody Hamilton
Not my favorite in the Bittersohn/Kelling series. Only two more to go, though, and I'm finished with the series. Darn, I miss the Peter Shandy series by the same author.
Cindy
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a bit hard to get into and to follow. some of the terminology is set at another era and I didn't really see the point of things until the last 20 pages. Long, slow and painful.
Paula
Dec 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: z2013-reads
Just cant read this series anymore. I enjoy listening to them but find it difficult to find them on audio. Have decided to just skip them. too many other books on my "to read" shelf.
Phyllis
Mar 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a very light hearted mystery. I like it for the fact that she
is so whimsical and easy to read. Some authors telescope whodunit but Charlotte McCleod does not.

• The Wrong Rite
  • Trouble in the Brasses
  • A Dismal Thing to Do
  • A Pint of Murder (Madoc Rhys #1)
  • Murder Goes Mumming
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Move a Mountain (Grub-and-Stakers Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on the Rocks (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #1)
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • The White Shepherd (Oxford Dogwalkers Mystery, #1)
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Pinch a Poke (Grub-And-Stakers #3)
  • Murder Out of Turn (Mr. & Mrs. North #2)
  • The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #3)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery, #6)
  • I.O.U. (Jenny Cain, #7)
  • The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • Sin Killer (The Berrybender Narratives #1)
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2)
Naturalized US Citizen

Also wrote as Alisa Craig

Charlotte MacLeod, born in New Brunswick, Canada, and a naturalized U.S. citizen, was the multi-award-winning author of over thirty acclaimed novels. Her series featuring detective Professor Peter Shandy, America's homegrown Hercule Poirot, delivers "generous dollops of...warmth, wit, and whimsy" (San Francisco Sunday Examiner and Chronicle). But

Kelling & Bittersohn (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Family Vault (Kelling & Bittersohn, #1)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn, #3)
  • The Bilbao Looking Glass (Kelling & Bittersohn, #4)
  • The Convivial Codfish (Kelling & Bittersohn, #5)
  • The Plain Old Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #6)
  • The Recycled Citizen (Kelling & Bittersohn, #7)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • The Gladstone Bag (Kelling & Bittersohn, #9)
  • The Odd Job (Kelling & Bittersohn, #11)