Start by marking “Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch” as Want to Read:
Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch

Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch

(Eva Evergreen #1)

A charming new middle-grade fantasy adventure, about a young witch whose pinch of magic just might be more than enough, perfect for fans of Kiki's Delivery Service and Aru Shah and the End of Time.

Sometimes all you need is a pinch of magic...

Eva Evergreen is determined to earn the rank of Novice Witch before she turns thirteen years old. If she doesn't, she'll lose her mag
Published August 4th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch
Melanie

Finished copy provided by the author (thank you so much)!

ownvoices japanese influences + kiki's delivery service inspirations + the power of friendship and having people who will unconditionally love and support you = perfection! <3

Blog | Instagram | Youtube | Ko-fi | Spotify | Twitch

Buddy read with Maëlys! ❤
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
this! was! so! cute!

This book was an absolute ray of sunshine. It took me a little while to get through because of life but everytime I sat down to read it was a delight. It showcases the power of friendship, how much willpower and support can do and that we all have self-doubt that we sometimes need help to overcome.
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Wow, what a spectacular debut! Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch is a wholesome witchy middle-grade and I adored it!

- Follows Evalithimus "Eva" Evergreen, a young witch who only has a pinch of magic. To earn her rank as a 'Novice Witch', Eva must travel to a distant town, help its townpeople, and 'do good'.
- The world of this book is wonderfully realised and has a hint of Japanese influence. Readers will delight in how imaginative, charming, and visual the storytelling is.
- Eva Evergreen is su
Maëlys
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
☆ 4 / 5 ☆

This book is a pure boost of serotonin.This whole story was such a happy experience and everything was so wholesome and sweet, but never faltered from approaching deeper emotional depth with nuance.

Eva Evergreen is the daughter of a very powerful and renowned witch but she herself “only” holds a pinch of magic. Spells don’t come to her as easily as they do to other witches and wizards, they sometimes go awry, and using her magic makes her fall asleep. However, she is determined to go o
Ian
Harry Potter meets Kiki's Delivery Service in this magical debut novel for young readers.

I imagine the folks who grew up on a diet of Harry Potter probably have young readers tearing around their home now. This is one of the books you should be buying for them.
Alexa
Jan 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to pick up and read EVA EVERGREEN, SEMI-MAGICAL WITCH, and it was wonderful to have this middle grade fantasy be just as excellent as I’d hoped! With hallmarks that brought to mind its comp title Kiki’s Delivery Service, Julie Abe has truly written a charming story about a semi-magical witch trying to make a way for herself and falling in love with a small town and its residents (and a flamefox) along the way! Cannot wait for the sequel.
Celia McMahon
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
For such a long time I wished that someone would write a book sorta like Kiki's Delivery Service; a book similar to the magic I felt watching it for the first time, but not so close as to be a carbon copy. THIS IS THE BOOK, EVERYONE!!!

Eva is semi-magical which causes a ton of problems. She's almost not even let in the Novice Witch trial and to top it off, she ends up in a town she may not even know is hers. Because you see, to complete her quest to become a Novice, she ust stay in a town for one
USOM
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot get over how charming and precious Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch is. Full of strong "Kiki's Delivery Service" vibes, if you love that movie, you are going to need to buy yourself a copy of this whimsical middle grade. Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch is whimsical and detailed. The setting comes alive before your very eyes and I could practically smell the sea breeze. While I adored the world building - Flamefoxes meets the concept of making up original rhyming spells - the characte ...more
Enne
4 stars

Books like Eva Evergreen remind me why I love reading middle grade so much. In this book, we follow Eva Evergreen, who is about to go on her Novice Witch quest, but unlike most other witches, she only has a pinch of magic, so she has to come up with clever solutions in order to pass her evaluations.

Reading this book brought me so much joy. It’s really focused on the magic of family and friendship and finding smart semi-magical solutions for problems and I loved every second of it. I love
Sara
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very cute witchy adventure story!! Felt fairly original whilst also being comfortably nostalgic of other witchy fantasy stories. Ember the fire fox was so freaking cute!
Lemonbun
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
I got the book because I saw really great reviews from people I follow. However I just didn't really like it.
I did like the images created of the sceneries. I also appreciate what the author wanted to do and what emotions they wanted to invoke. Unfortunately it just felt quite forced and the writing in general came across as amateur. I noticed it early on in the book and figured I would just ignore it and have fun with the story, but I felt like I was breaking immersion all the time.
I think this
Lata
This was delightful!
Though this hits some of the same beats as Kiki's Delivery Service, this story is different. Eva has only a little bit of magic in her, unlike her Grandmaster witch mother, Nelalithimus Evergreen. The story opens with Eva getting ready to start her trial, which, if she passes, will allow her to call herself a Novice Witch.
Hayato Grottel, Head of the Council, sees her pinch of magic as insignificant. Every witch in the land is necessary to deal with the Culling, an event that
Travel.with.a.book
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this one in one sitting, it has a vibrant story that merges topics of true friendships, self love in a delighted story that is quite unique, imaginative, charming and really inspiring. Eva is one of my favourite character I have ever read in a grade book, she is so fierce and a great person.
The journey while reading will make you happy about it, gushing in tears and laughs, Julia is an amazing writer to put a lot of details and melt mixed emotions in them. The twists in every page we
ash ♡
this was so, so heartwarming to read, and i loved the themes of friendship!! julia abe's prose is also gorgeous, and i can't wait to read the sequel. <3

★★★★☆ (4 stars)
Nicole M. Hewitt
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

An utterly adorable fantasy adventure about finding and playing to your strengths. This reminded me a lot of The Worst Witch (a series that my daughter really enjoys) because Eva’s magic often goes a bit awry. Except this book is set in a fantasy world with hints of Japanese culture (rather than having witches who live in the regular world like in TWW). Eva only has a pinch of magic, but she’s bound and determined to f
Anandi Puritipati
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

THIS WAS SUCH A WONDERFUL, WARM READ!!

Perfect for the fans of middlegrade fiction in general, and Kiki's delivery service in specific, Eva Evergreen simple stole my little, beating heart and I love her and her semi-magical world so much!

This book is just a seretonin inducing story about a spunky little semi-magical witch and her quest to becoming someone more formidable! It's filled with the most loveable characters and has the cutest imagery ever! More than anything else, it is a c
Dakota Morgan
Jan 08, 2021 rated it liked it
I read the majority of Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch while also doomscrolling an attempted coup and listening to carpet installers tear, hammer, and scrape my house apart. You'd think that the gentle, lyrical tale of a young witch-in-training would provide some comfort during dark times and loud noises, but my primary reaction to the book was that it was too tame.

Eva Evergreen is the daughter of one of the Rivelle realm's two most powerful witches. As such, she expects a lot of herself and i
Nicole
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author, Julie Abe, for this finished copy of Eva Evergreen. All thoughts are my own.

This is such an adorable middle grade debut novel from Julie Abe. It has own voices elements and takes some inspiration from the wonderful, Kiki’s Delivery Service. I was in a reading slump (might still be, we’ll see) and this one was just so enjoyable.

Eva Evergreen is ready to become a novice witch. This is the first step to joining the ranks of the best witches and wizards. She must venture to
Stephanie
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks-2020
This gave me strong Kiki’s Delivery Service vibes when I saw a Instagram post featuring this book and, because of that, it played a big role in being added to my tbr. While I still am waiting for my hold of Kiki’s Delivery Service by Eiko Kadono, I saw this audiobook was available to checkout and went for it.

The audiobook was well done and the story overall was cute with a pinch of charm to it. (Or should I say “with a pinch of magic?” ;) Alright, alright, back to the review.) I enjoyed this sto
Tatyana
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eva Evergreen is on a journey to prove herself. She is known for being a subpar witch. Her magic manifested late, her spells tend to make messes out of situations, and she falls asleep after casting a spell. But she’s off on a quest to become a Novice Witch to a town that doesn’t know her reputation and desperately needs a witch to protect them from the Culling. Eva has to do good for the town or lose her magic forever.
Julie Abe does a beautiful job of setting the scene. The town of Auteri is fu
Brooks Benjamin
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was so phenomenal! I can’t wait for the next book. I need more Eva and Ember in my life. 😄
Cori // ghostlightbooks
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Eva Evergreen is the daughter of one of the most powerful witches in the Realm and, as a late-blooming witch, that's a lot to live up to. All Eva wants is to use her bit of magic to uphold the council's number one rule: Do Good. But that might be easier said than done when Eva takes on her Novice quest while also trying to figure out how to save her new home, Auteri, from the yearly Culling, a powerful storm system no one seems to be able to scry the location of, all while chasing around a rambu ...more
Kathie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author and publisher for sending an ARC of this book to #bookportage.

Eva was late to get her magical gift, and when it showed up, she got just a touch of magic. Many around her don't believe she's worthy of being called a witch, but she's determined to fight to keep what magic she does have, and gain her status as a Novice witch. When she arrives in the coastal town of Auteri, the townspeople are disappointed that she's not an experienced witch that's come to help them prepare f
Ali (readbyali)
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story is such a fun middle grade fantasy adventure! As the blurb mentions, I think it is a good fit for fans of Kiki's Delivery Service. Eva is a young witch with little magic. Her mother is a powerful witch, and magic seems to be dying out within this world, so she needs to work even harder to test her limited magical abilities. She must prove herself by going on her Novice Witch quest, or risk having her magic taken away forever. Eva is determined to help her new town and new friends that ...more
delph ✨
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review on my blog: here

EVA EVERGREEN is the story of this girl, EVA, who only has a pinch of magic. She departs from her town, to carry out a quest and become a novice witch. But even if Eva has the best intentions, she discovers that she’s not welcomed in the town she’s supposed to help and on top of that, the Culling (a magical storm) is coming and she has to do something about it.

Julie Abe wrote an enchanting and whimsical story. She has such a way with words it made me wish I could jump
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Eva Evergreen: Semi-Magical Witch by Julie Abe, 382 pages. Little Brown, AUGUST 2020. $17

Content: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL – ESSENTIAL, MS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Eva Evergreen has just one month to prove that she is worthy of becoming a Novice Witch. Her powers are small and using them exhausts her. The town she arrives at, Auteri, doesn’t seem to want her – the Mayor’s reception is much more than cool. And her apprentice challenge seems to be unsurpassable – prepare the town to weather
Bridgette
I am biased as I was an early reader for this book, but my opinion stands: go read this charming, character driving MG fantasy, perfect for fans of Morrigan Crow.

Eva Evergreen wants nothing more than to go on her Novice Witch quest and become an official Novice Witch. The daughter of a Grand Master witch, this shouldn't be a problem for her, but there is a catch: whenever Eva uses too much magic she falls asleep. With only a pinch of magic, Eva is unsure if she'll really be able to do good in th
Toni
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owls-readathon

This is the first book in the Eva Evergreen series by Julie Abe.

Wow, how fun was this middle grade book. Loving this new series featuring a witch with only a pinch of magic. This reminds me a lot of Harry Potter. Oh, not in the storyline or anything but the type of person Harry is at his core. Eva is like that too. She has been looked down upon for her whole life. No one ever had her back. And now while on her novel quest, which she had to fight to receive, she learns to trust herself
Miranda
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch by Julie Abe

Summary

Eva Evergreen is ready to set out on her novice quest. There is only one problem, her magic is exhausting. Eva has trouble performing any kind of magic without immediately falling into a deep slumber. Luckily her determination outweighs her exhaustion. Eva fights for her right to go on a novice quest even the whole council seems to be against her.

Eva inadvertently winds up in the town of Auteri where she immediately feels like she isn’t wanted
hallie bertling
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
this was cute and would probably be a great read-aloud at bedtime/storytime!

eva is on her novice witch quest... but kinda falls asleep after every spell. and if she doesn't help the town in a month (if she even got off the boat in the right harbor), the council shall take ALL her magic from her. touches on topics of friendship, loss, having a famous mom, and getting better at what you were born to do. plus, you know, magic and innovation, and a seaside town full of eccentric characters and shops
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Girl and the Witch's Garden
  • Kiki's Delivery Service
  • The Total Eclipse of Nestor Lopez
  • Hide and Seeker
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • Scritch Scratch
  • Dragon Hoops
  • The Girl and the Ghost
  • Thirteens
  • Beetle & the Hollowbones
  • Cinders and Sparrows
  • Maya and the Rising Dark
  • Séance Tea Party
  • Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones, #1)
  • On the Horizon
  • Cattywampus
  • The Stitchers (Fright Watch #1)
  • Ghost Squad
Julie Abe is the author of EVA EVERGREEN, SEMI-MAGICAL WITCH and EVA EVERGREEN AND THE CURSED WITCH. She has lived in Silicon Valley, spent many humid summers in Japan, and currently basks in the sunshine of Southern California with never enough books or tea, where she creates stories about magical adventures.

Eva Evergreen (2 books)
  • Eva Evergreen and the Cursed Witch (Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch #2)

News & Interviews