Start by marking “Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch” as Want to Read:
Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch

Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch

(Eva Evergreen #1)

A charming new middle-grade fantasy adventure, about a young witch whose pinch of magic just might be more than enough, perfect for fans of Kiki's Delivery Service and Aru Shah and the End of Time.

Sometimes all you need is a pinch of magic...

Eva Evergreen is determined to earn the rank of Novice Witch before she turns thirteen years old. If she doesn't, she'll lose her mag
Expected publication: August 4th 2020 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch

Start your review of Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Wow, what a spectacular debut! Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch is a wholesome witchy middle-grade and I adored it!

- Follows Evalithimus "Eva" Evergreen, a young witch who only has a pinch of magic. To earn her rank as a 'Novice Witch', Eva must travel to a distant town, help its townpeople, and 'do good'.
- The world of this book is wonderfully realised and has a hint of Japanese influence. Readers will delight in how imaginative, charming, and visual the storytelling is.
- Eva Evergreen is su
Celia McMahon
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
For such a long time I wished that someone would write a book sorta like Kiki's Delivery Service; a book similar to the magic I felt watching it for the first time, but not so close as to be a carbon copy. THIS IS THE BOOK, EVERYONE!!!

Eva is semi-magical which causes a ton of problems. She's almost not even let in the Novice Witch trial and to top it off, she ends up in a town she may not even know is hers. Because you see, to complete her quest to become a Novice, she ust stay in a town for one
Tatyana
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eva Evergreen is on a journey to prove herself. She is known for being a subpar witch. Her magic manifested late, her spells tend to make messes out of situations, and she falls asleep after casting a spell. But she’s off on a quest to become a Novice Witch to a town that doesn’t know her reputation and desperately needs a witch to protect them from the Culling. Eva has to do good for the town or lose her magic forever.
Julie Abe does a beautiful job of setting the scene. The town of Auteri is fu
Kathie
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author and publisher for sending an ARC of this book to #bookportage.

Eva was late to get her magical gift, and when it showed up, she got just a touch of magic. Many around her don't believe she's worthy of being called a witch, but she's determined to fight to keep what magic she does have, and gain her status as a Novice witch. When she arrives in the coastal town of Auteri, the townspeople are disappointed that she's not an experienced witch that's come to help them prepare f
Miranda
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch by Julie Abe

Summary

Eva Evergreen is ready to set out on her novice quest. There is only one problem, her magic is exhausting. Eva has trouble performing any kind of magic without immediately falling into a deep slumber. Luckily her determination outweighs her exhaustion. Eva fights for her right to go on a novice quest even the whole council seems to be against her.

Eva inadvertently winds up in the town of Auteri where she immediately feels like she isn’t wanted
Andrew
4.5 stars. When I first saw the beautiful cover for this book, I gasped in delight, and I was just as enchanted with the story! Twelve year old Eva Evergreen is the daughter of a renowned Grand Master witch, but Eva herself only has a little bit of magic know-how under her belt when she sets off on her quest to earn the rank of a Novice Witch. At first the residents of Auteri, her new seaside home, are skeptical of her and her abilities. Will she be able to hone her powers and prosper in a new t ...more
Becky
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quarantine Brain means this one took me a lot longer than it should have, but oh my goodness it was exactly the heartwarming middle grade witch story I needed. Definitely got some of the Ghibli vibes the cover promised, but also a warm-fuzzies exploration of friendship, self-confidence, and finding your own way to succeed. I loved it. BUT BE WARNED there is a heck of a sequel hook! More please!
Ashley
Jun 23, 2020 marked it as to-read
YOU HAD ME AT KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE & ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME ! ...more
Annie
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5. When the synopsis for the book mentioned Kiki, who is one of my all-time favorite characters, I knew that I had to pick this up. This whole story is incredibly adorable. Eva shows great strength of character in pursuing her dreams of being a witch, even when she only has a pinch of magic. I felt happy the whole time I read this and am excited that it sets up the story for a series. Looking forward to reading more about Eva and Ember in the future.
delph ✨
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full review on my blog: here

EVA EVERGREEN is the story of this girl, EVA, who only has a pinch of magic. She departs from her town, to carry out a quest and become a novice witch. But even if Eva has the best intentions, she discovers that she’s not welcomed in the town she’s supposed to help and on top of that, the Culling (a magical storm) is coming and she has to do something about it.

Julie Abe wrote an enchanting and whimsical story. She has such a way with words it made me wish I could jump
Brianna
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With an ominous storm brewing that may destroy the entire realm, Eva Evergreen sets out to save a town and pass her Novice Quest! The only problem this new witch has is that she's only semi-magical, but she may discover that finding your inner strength is more important than any magic! I can't wait to introduce my middle school to this clever, sweet, and inspiring book!
Debbi Florence
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a magical read! I loved Eva Evergreen and cheered her on as she embarked on her quest. I'm definitely buying a copy when this book releases in 2020!
Kate Waggoner
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
@KidLitExchange

Thank you to @LittleBrownYR for sharing an advance copy of Eva Evergreen, Semi-Magical Witch by Julie Abe with the #KidLitExchange Network. This book will be released in August 2020. All opinions are my own.

Eva is determined to pass her novice quest and receive her Novice Witch license. If she fails her quest, she will lose her magic forever. For most young wizards and witches, this would be a simple task, but Eva seems to only have a pinch of magic. While Eva is magical, each use
Ms. Yingling
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Netgalley

Evalithimus Evergreen is eager to pass her novice quest, but her powers aren't strong and she is worried that she won't live up to her mother's expectations. Along with her companion, a flamefox named Ember, she ends up in the town of Auteri to prove herself, and she sets up a magical repair shop to hone her skills and find a way to help out the town. She meets Yuri, who has the Seafoam Sweets shop, Davy and his father, who are struggling after the disappearance of Dav
Liz Leiby
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really hate to rate this so low. I received an ARC from LBR and I’m so grateful to have been able to read this before its pub date, but I can’t recommend this to anyone.

My first issue with the novel was pacing. The plot pacing was odd. Things would be slow, then happen all of a sudden, and then draw out again and then BOOM something Big. The character development pacing was also odd. Eva’s transformation from doubting herself to believing in herself felt unnatural and stilted. Eva’s friendshi
Ali (readbyali)
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This story is such a fun middle grade fantasy adventure! As the blurb mentions, I think it is a good fit for fans of Kiki's Delivery Service. Eva is a young witch with little magic. Her mother is a powerful witch, and magic seems to be dying out within this world, so she needs to work even harder to test her limited magical abilities. She must prove herself by going on her Novice Witch quest, or risk having her magic taken away forever. Eva is determined to help her new town and new friends that ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Eva Evergreen: Semi-Magical Witch by Julie Abe, 382 pages. Little Brown, AUGUST 2020. $17

Content: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL – ESSENTIAL, MS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Eva Evergreen has just one month to prove that she is worthy of becoming a Novice Witch. Her powers are small and using them exhausts her. The town she arrives at, Auteri, doesn’t seem to want her – the Mayor’s reception is much more than cool. And her apprentice challenge seems to be unsurpassable – prepare the town to weather
Gabriela Rovi
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley for giving me access to an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for an honesr review.

This is the story of Evalitimus Evergreen and her journey to becoming a novice witch. This book follows her at her time of her Novice quest, at the age of 12 she is to go out and "Do Good" for her town in order to keep her magic.

This was exactly the book I was looking for when I started reading it last night. Eva is a little insecure about her magical abilities but a lot stubborn. And she ha
Laura Gardner
Jun 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5⭐️ for this delightful MG fantasy by @julieabebooks; Thx to the author for sharing w @kidlitexchange !
I’m pretty picky when it comes to fantasy, but this one was really fun! Eva is really only a semi-magical witch who has to discover her own gifts and self confidence in her quest to become a novice witch. Along the way she creates lifelong friendships in the town of Auteri. .
Small Japanese influences throughout give the story a bit more depth. Also—I was enchanted by her pet flamefox, Embe
Linda
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, middle-grade
This is a surprising book. I loved reading this book and couldn't put it down. All of her life Eva Evergreen wanted to be like her mother, a strong and powerful witch. However her magic is just not as strong, and she starts on her journey on becoming a witch.

Fans of Kiki's Delivery Service will enjoy this book, since there is similar themes and this is a coming of age book for a witch. But that is where the similarities ends. Julie Abe creates a wonderful magical imaginative world, and with it
Pam
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an electronic ARC from Little, Brown Books for Young Readers through NetGalley.
Eva has struggled with her magic. She was almost too old when it first sparked and has never had full magical abilities. She does qualify to test and advance to the Novice Witch level by serving a town for a month. Plenty of adventure and misadventures happen as she tries to save the town from the next Culling.
The main themes of believing in yourself and pushing your boundaries come through clearly. Eva is
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eva's mother may be one of the two most powerful magicians in the land, but Eva herself barely has enough magic in her blood to fill a thimble. Still, her power manifested in the nick of time for her to complete the traditional quest to become a licensed Novice Witch. All she has to do is spend a month in a town doing good deeds then fly home. Nearly everyone in Auteri (especially the mayor) is downright hostile, but Eva perseveres, fixing problems with a little cleverness and a pinch of magic. ...more
Sharon
Jul 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars! 3rd grade & up

What a super cute story!
A mess of a barely magical witch puts her heart and soul into helping her new town, winning over the townspeople, and saving the entire area from catastrophe!

I'm so excited that there seems to be more Eva coming! Anyone who loves Kiki’s Delivery Service or The Worst Witch series should grab a copy of this book immediately!
(I know that's a lot of exclamation points, but I can't help it- this book was adorable!)

This ARC was provided by Little, Bro
Davids
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lot of pressure comes with being the daughter of one of the most powerful witches in the land. It will take more than just a little magic for Eva to complete her quest to become a Novice witch. With a little ingenuity and the help of some friends, she just might get there...or if not it could end in disaster for her and her new adopted town. An enchanting adventure of a young girl figuring out who she is in the world.
Soup
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun, multicultural fantasy set in a vaguely-Japanese fantasy universe. Themes focus on friendship, belief in one's self, and acknowledging people's gifts/passions. At times both the text and the art work didn't match what I would expect of a 12 year old protagonist, but it seemed to work within the book's world. The work concludes with a clear lead in to an additional book or books. I know I will be excited to read the next novel in the series when it becomes available.
Courtney
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a magical story reminiscent of Kiki's Delivery Service. Eva is the daughter of a famous, powerful witch but she only has a pinch of magic. For her novice year, she finds her way to a town in need. She finds a magical companion, which is probably my favorite part of the book. The side characters and setting are close seconds. I like the idea of this independent young woman finding her own brand of magic. I would suggest this book for middle grade readers of fantasy.
Chelsey
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eva Evergreen was such a sweet and adventure filled book! If you enjoy My Neighbor Totoro or KiKi's Delivery Service, you will not be disappointed by this novel. Eva has the tough job of proving herself as a witch, making friends, figuring out who she wants to be, and that's all before the biggest storm in history is about to hit! This was a wonderful book that I hope becomes a series.
Liz H {Redd's Reads}
This was an amazing read about overcoming personal doubt and what others see as detriments of character or strength. Perfect read for right now! I'll post my full review on Redd's Reads closer to the August release, but know that this book is amazing and everyone should read it!
Jessica
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Will add a review closer to release date...
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing an early galley copy.
Kelly
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Harry Potter but with a female protagonist. This could be a really good little series for young readers!

• The Blackbird Girls
  • The Inside Battle
  • Bloom
  • Tornado Brain
  • What Lane?
  • Paola Santiago and the River of Tears (Paola Santiago #1)
  • Tune It Out
  • The Incredibly Dead Pets of Rex Dexter
Julie Abe is the author of EVA EVERGREEN, SEMI-MAGICAL WITCH, releasing in 2020 (Little, Brown Young Readers) and the second book in the series, releasing 2021. She has lived in Silicon Valley, spent many humid summers in Japan, and currently basks in the sunshine of Southern California with never enough books or tea, where she creates stories about magical adventures.