Start by marking “The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)

The Book of Koli

(Rampart Trilogy #1)

Beyond the walls of the small village of Mythen Rood lies an unrecognizable world. A world where overgrown forests are filled with choker trees and deadly vines and seeds that will kill you where you stand. And if they don't get you, one of the dangerous shunned men will.

Koli has lived in Mythen Rood his entire life. He knows the first rule of survival is that you don't
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Orbit

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Book of Koli by M.R. Carey
    The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)
    Release date: Apr 13, 2020
    "A captivating start to what promises to be an epic post-apocalyptic fable" (Kirkus), The Book of Koli is the unforgettable story of a young boy ...more

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 1165 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 29 - Apr 06, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Koli, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Koli

Start your review of The Book of Koli (Rampart Trilogy, #1)
    Bradley
    Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: sci-fi, ya, 2020-shelf
    I've been enjoying M.R. Cary for quite some time now and I jumped on the chance to review his new series through Netgalley.

So was it everything I might have hoped? Yes! And maybe.

At first, I realized, belatedly, that this had all the hallmarks of a YA novel. He's done some good YA in the past, so I settled into life in a dystopian future with ancient advanced tech, trees that like to hunt us, and provincial life that takes a major turn for the worse.

Standard fare, mostly, with some really fun
    Miranda
    Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I received an eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Prior to receiving an eARC of The Book of Koli by M.R. Carey, I had not read any of the authors work. While I know of The Girl with All the Gifts, I think The Book of Koli was a great introduction into Careys work. I was sold on this book as soon as I saw that it was recommended for those who enjoyed Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer.

The Book of Koli is told from the point of view of the main character Koli who lives in a small
    Nils | nilsreviewsit
    Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it

I seen now that dying wasnt just one single thing that happens one single time. A little of it comes with every ending, collecting in the heart of you like rainwater in a barrel.
    ~
    The Book of Koli is the first book in the Rampart trilogy, by M. R. Carey. I have previously read two novels by Carey; The Girl with all the Gifts and Someone Like Me, which were both highly entertaining reads. So when I heard about this upcoming trilogy, my interest was immediately peaked. Especially once I
    Pauline
    Mar 19, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    This is the first book in the Rampart Trilogy.
    The story is set in a dystopian world where a young boy Koli is growing up.
    This new world is scary and deadly and he will need all his strength to stay alive.
    I found this book hard to read because the strange dialog was hard to follow at times.
    Thank you to NetGalley and Little, Brown Book Group UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
    Tammie
    Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: sci-fi
    The Book of Koli, a science fiction book, was a solid 4.5 stars. The book centers around main character Koli-a young boy living in a post-apocalyptic world. The story is told through Koli himself, a country boy living in the tiny village of Mythen Rood, who is suddenly forced out of the village due to uncovering some truths involving technology.
    The book of Koli is filled with a large cast of colorful characters and is highly entertaining. I especially enjoyed the first half of the book that
    Liz Barnsley
    Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Blinking brilliant. So happy it's a trilogy. Review to follow for the tour.
    Dyrk Ashton
    Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I have loved everything I've read from Mike (M.R.) Carey, and this is no different. The Book of Koli is a terrific and terrifying vision of a future world where everything from archaic rogue drones, genetically altered forest creatures, and even the trees themselves want to kill you - and eat you. Humankind has been reduced to isolated enclaves of primitive existence where the ability to control the few relics of technology can mean the difference between survival and extinction.

I've mentioned
    Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Truly fantastic. Brilliantly written. Excellent world-building. Wonderful characters.

Come on book two.
    Baba
    Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: scifi, young-adult
    Koli lives in a town surrounded by distance, derelict land, guards, watch towers and other defensive measures. Defence against the weather, against the Sun, against animals in the air, on land and underground(!), against animated vegetation and against... the Shunned! This is the United Kingdom, the world, centuries after mankind's fall... where the main prey is... man!

[A free proof copy of this book was sent to me in exchange for an honest review*]
    The Book of Koli is, at face-value, a coming of
    Mel (Epic Reading)
    Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: arc-netgalley
    I love the folks at Orbit who have been generously approving me for eARCs!! This one is exciting! In fact all of Orbits lasted publications look so good! 😍
    Read and review closer to publication date.
    Mike
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    MR Carey, aka Mike Carey, has been one of my favorite writers for years. His Lucifer spinoff from Gaimans Sandman is incredible. His time writing Hellblazer was great. I consider the Felix Castor urban fantasy series to be every bit as good as Dresden, and The Girl with all the Gifts deserves all the praise it gets. Getting an ARC of Careys forthcoming book is without doubt the highlight of my book reviewing career. So a huge thank-you to Orbit for this book.

So, does this book live up to my
    Shalini
    Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
    Quite a different read which entertained me with its dystopian world where the boy Koli lived his entire life in the village of Mythen Rood and was suddenly thrust out onto the unknown world for discovering a few truths, where danger lurked under every tree. Yes, trees ate people. It was a scary world out.

My first book by author MR Carey, I was quite immersed into the world created. The writing was quite detailed with the breathing trees and the deadly vines. Koli was an intriguing main
    Obsidian
    Apr 03, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Sorry, not sorry, DNFed this at 17 percent. My brain got mad at me and then I heard a buzzing noise and that's it. This is too painful to continue. I hope it gets better for those who continue with it. Since I loved "The Girl With All the Gifts" and was meh to annoyed with "The Boy on the Bridge I hoped this one would land on the side of me loving it. Too bad. The writing is what killed this book for me. I get what the author was going for, but you have to think through doing "gimmicky" things ...more
    Jordan
    Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020
    *3.75-4? This was not what I was expecting at all and I'm a little on the fence. Overall, it's a really fascinating premise and I will be reading the sequel, but I struggled getting into the story.
    Wendy
    Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    It all begins in a relatively unassuming way, but every chapter is stealthily setting the scene for something very, very clever.

While I warmed to Kolis character, and others, I found their speech awkward to understand, at least at first. But they do reside in a back-to-basics kind of world and its one I was hugely intrigued by.

He and his fellow villagers operate a little like sheep accepting what theyre told, labouring in traditional professions, and honouring the law of the Ramparts.
    Amie's Book Reviews
    M.R. Carey has done it again.
    I LOVED this book. I can't wait to read a sequel. Hopefully he will write a sequel and turn this into either a Duology or a Trilogy.

FULL REVIEW COMING SOON AND WILL BE POSTED ON MY BLOG at http://Amiesbookreviews.wordpress.com
    And On Instagram
    On Twitter
    Justine
    Mar 18, 2020 marked it as dnf
    I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

DNFed at 116 pages

This one just didn't click with me. It is quite slow to start, though I imagine it will pick up in the second half of the book, However, I just was completely unable to get into the world or relate to the main character. I gave it a good shot, but it was obvious pretty quickly that this book just wasn't for me.
    Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
    I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley from the publishers at Orbit Books. Koli has been raised in the small village of Mythen Rood, well after the collapse of society due to rapidly evolving plantlife that has turned against humans. In his world, the wildlife is deadly, and trees even more so, but theyre protected by the Ramparts, a small group of special villagers who can control the technology of the old world. Koli longs to be a Rampart, but when he discovers some of their secrets, he ...more
    Sarahi Flores
    Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Ive not read anything from this author before this. So many great reviews from his series, The Girl With All The Gifts, and now I wanna get a hold of that series. Ok so The Book of Koli is a science fiction story of how anything tech/ weapon is something to be controlled. However not everyone can control it. Ill stop there.

This is a pretty good tale of how the world looks like after so much has happened. Its almost like having to start over. Koli is the protagonist in the story. He is the one
    Harmony Kent
    Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Many thanks to NetGalley and the publishers, Little, Brown Group UK--Orbit-- for a free ARC of this book.

The cover intrigued me, mostly due to the lack of anything much other than creeping vegetation. And the title made me wonder, what's this going to be about? So, I gave the description a once over ... EVERYTHING THAT LIVES HATES US ... ooh, now, I liked the sound of that. And I adore post-apocalyptic fiction. So, I requested The Book of Koli and duly received an advanced copy. I've never read
    Kelly
    Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
    M Carey is a new author to me and this is a book with an interesting storyline with a dystopian twist and vivid descriptions.

I initially found this book hard to connect with as I struggled to find a reading pace as the terminology and words used aren't how we would use them and it kept making me question and double back. However I am pleased I stuck with it as the story as it started to unfold captured my imagination.

Koli is set in a post apolyptic world where life is a constant struggle for
    Brenda
    Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: giveaways, ebook
    I received a copy of this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

I'm not always good at writing a review but I will give it a shot. I believe this is the first book in a trilogy so don't expect answers by the end. I would read the rest of the series.

This is a book set in the future after humans do something stupid (not explicitly indicated but isn't it usually the case?) that causes massive destruction of the world and leaves pockets of "civilization". Since it is the first book of a trilogy, we
    Steve Stred
    just not for me. couldn't get my head in the right mind frame right now to get involved. thanks to the author and publisher for the opportunity. I can see a lot of promise moving forward but I need to put this one aside for another time.
    Georgina Kamsika
    I must open by saying I do tend to enjoy M.R. Careys novels, and The Book of Koli is no exception.

Koli lives in a typical dystopian world where humanity has devolved into technology-less pockets scattered across a much more hostile England. When trees can and will kill you, a forest spanning the country is a dangerous thing.

Koli is far too inquisitive and ambitious for his village and its his voice that helped pull me past any initial resistance to the odd dialogue. I dont want to say too much
    Tammy
    Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: A stellar start to a new series, The Book of Koli surprised me in just about every possible way.

Ive read every one of M.R. Careys booksor at least the books hes written under the name M.R. Carey (he has an urban fantasy series written as Mike Carey that Im dying to read!)and I couldn't wait to read his latest, the first in
    Kopratic
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    (This review might contain minor spoilers.)

Koli lives in Mythen Rood, a tiny village with people just surviving. However, after uncovering one of the villages biggest secrets, Koli is forced to go outside the wallssomething they are told never to do. Now he must learn the truth of the world, if he can only survive. Oh, and the trees will kill you.

There are two major sections in The Book of Koli: inside Mythen Rood and outside Mythen Rood. The first part focuses more on slice of life elements. We
    Effy
    Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Taking place in a post-apocalyptic world where nature has evolved to take its revenge on humanity and almost all of technology has been lost, The Book of Koli is the first book in a new trilogy from M. R. Carey.

This is the fourth book from M. R. Carey that I have read and, unfortunately, it really wasn't my cup of tea. I found the language very jarring as it is reminiscent of what we would see as poor grammar; I could appreciate that it was a deliberate choice for world-building however it made
    Emily
    Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Advance copy provided by NetGalley

I dont know if dystopian fiction is the best thing to read when theres a pandemic on, but I still really enjoyed this. Carey has a real talent in this genre, which was evident in The Girl with all the Gifts and The Boy on the Bridge. There are no child zombies in this oneits the trees you have to watch out for.
    The book rolls along at a leisurely pace at the beginning, with Koli drawing the reader into his tale and painting a picture of a future far enough away
    Megan C.
    Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
    2.5 - Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. I LOVED The Girl With All the Gifts and was so excited to dive into another series from that author. However, both the plot and the characters fell flat for me. The story had definite potential, and I can't exactly put my finger on why it didn't click, other than it felt emotionally disconnected. I couldn't get attached enough to the characters to really care about them. It felt a little like another try at a Hunger Games/Maze Runner/Divergent type ...more
    « previous 1 3 next »

• Imaginary Friend
    • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
    • The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1)
    • The Wright Brothers
    • Camelot (The Arthurian Tales, #2)
    • Smoke & Summons (Numina #1)
    • The Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
    • Hex
    • The Age of Witches
    • The Jungle Book
    • The Chaos
    • Beyond the Shadowed Earth
    • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
    • A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
    • City of Miracles (The Divine Cities, #3)
    • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    • Nothing Left to Lose (John Cleaver, #6)
    • The Buried Life (Recoletta, #1)
    Mike Carey is the acclaimed writer of Lucifer and Hellblazer (now filmed as Constantine). He has recently completed a comics adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and is the current writer on Marvel's X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four. He has also written the screenplay for a movie, Frost Flowers, which is soon to be produced by Hadaly Films and Bluestar Pictures.

Also writes as Mike Carey