Start by marking “Silver” as Want to Read:

(Martin Scarsden #2)

For half a lifetime, journalist Martin Scarsden has run from his past. But now there is no escaping. He'd vowed never to return to his hometown, Port Silver, and its traumatic memories. But now his new partner, Mandy Blonde, has inherited an old house in the seaside town and Martin knows their chance of a new life together won't come again. Martin arrives to find his best ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Silver, please sign up.
Jodi Chris Hammer's Facebook post indicates there's still no ETA on the Canada/US release. Hopefully soon!

Start your review of Silver
Paromjit
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Chris Hammer's follow up to his stellar award winning Aussie crime fiction debut, Scrublands, and it confirms his talent as the location shifts to Port Silver in New South Wales, a coastal town, the town the now ex-journalist Martin Scarsden grew up in and couldn't leave fast enough after his traumatic childhood. At 8 years old he lost his mother and his sisters in a nightmare accident. He has never looked back, burying his memories and past deep inside him. After an emotional desert whe ...more
Kylie D
I must admit I put off reading this novel, it's been sitting on my shelf for months, probably because of the size of it, at well over 500 pages. Now I'm kicking myself! Chris Hammer has woven an intricate tale, with offshoots going off everywhere. Fast paced and gripping, you'll find yourself glued to the pages, until it comes to it's power packed ending, where all the offshoots combine.

Martin Scarsden has returned to his hometown, with his partner Mandy and her son Liam, only to find his childh
Carolyn
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The atmospheric Scrublands, by Chris Hammer, was one of my favourite thrillers with a stunning sense of place, intrigue, and compelling characters. In Silver, the author continues the next stage in the life of a disgraced journalist, Martin Scarsdale. Martin relocated from the heat, drought, and isolation of the outback town of Riversend to Sydney. There he wrote a successful true- crime book about the events in the scrublands.

Now Martin is moving to Port Silver in hopes of enjoying
PattyMacDotComma
“Martin can feel himself starting to blush, the hardened foreign correspondent reverting to teenagerdom.”

He's gone home, back to Port Silver with his new partner, Mandy, and her infant son, Liam. She’s inherited property there and is excited to move north and leave the trauma of the past behind. What she doesn’t know is that Port Silver was Martin’s hometown, filled with the trauma of his past, which he thought he had escaped. A lot of the town has changed.

“He walks into a town transforming, n
Mandy White
It is no secret that Scrublands by Chris Hammer was one of my favourite books from 2018. So when I found out that Martin Scarsden was coming back in a follow up book I was desperate to read it. There was a little bit of trepidation, hoping that it was not going to disappoint. And am very pleased to report that Silver is just as addictive and binge worthy as Scrublands.

Martin has been finishing his book on the events that went on in Riversend. Now the book is complete and he heads to his childhoo
Liz Barnsley
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Anyone who follows my reviews at all will probably be aware that I was a massive fan of Scrublands, the first novel to feature disgraced journalist Martin Scarsden, so it was with some trepidation that I started Silver because you just never know if it will be a one off moment…

Well no. Silver is truly excellent, if anything even better now you have a real feeling for some of the players. The heat and drought of Scrublands has changed to more refreshing yet equally involving coastline as Martin m
Dale Harcombe
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
For many years Martin Scarsden has run from his past, but this time there is no escape. Despite his vow never to return to his home town of Port Silver, Martin finds circumstances change his view. When his partner Mandy Blonde inherits an old house there, Martin knows he has to return if he wants to keep their relationship intact. Even so he delays till he finishes the true crime book he is writing. Nothing prepares him for what he finds when he arrives in Port Silver. Jasper, his best friend fr ...more
Andrew Smith
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aussie crime fiction has a flavour and an atmosphere of it’s own, I think. It’s down to the people and the place: the characters tend to be down to earth and upfront, forthright in a way that’s different to the way people are portrayed in English and American books and the settings are big landscapes, dramatic coasts and small dusty towns. In Hammer’s last book Scrublands we met ex-journalist Martin Scarsden who had spent years in foreign war zones before returning to his native land only to ru ...more
Rob
Book 2 in the Martin Scarsden series published 2019.
4.5 stars.
There’s no getting away from it ‘Chris Hammer’ knows how to write, grab you by the throat, thrillers.

After the traumatic events of the last book it’s time for Martin and his girlfriend ‘Mandy’ to have a bit of a sea change. Mandy has inherited a much run down property just outside Port Silver, the very place where Martin grew up. So the decision is made to give Port Silver a go.

When Martin arrives, a few weeks after Mandy, he finds M
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

Silver by Chris Hammer. (2019).
(Martin Scarsden #2)

For half a lifetime, journalist Martin has run from his past. He'd vowed never to return to his hometown, Port Silver, and its traumatic memories. But now his new partner, Mandy, has inherited an old house in the seaside town and Martin knows their chance of a new life together won't come again. Martin arrives to find his best friend from school days brutally murdered, and Mandy the ch
Pauline
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed Scrublands by Chris Hammer and was delighted to receive a copy of his new book Silver.
This is the second book featuring Martin Scarsden and his girlfriend Mandalay Blond. They move back to his home town Port Silver after Mandalay inherits a house.
From the moment he arrives everything goes wrong, starting with the murder of his old school friend.
Although Martin is not working as a reporter he had been asked by his friend's mother to investigate her son's death.
This book was slow
Gloria Arthur
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-bookshelf
⭐️4.5 Stars⭐️
Silver by Chris Hammer

Silver is the sequel to Scrublands but can be read as a standalone.

Martin Scarsden is a journalist, he’s run from his past and now he is about to return to his hometown Port Silver. His partner Mandalay (Mandy) Blonde has inherited an old house and it’s a great opportunity for them to start a new life together. Martin hasn’t mentioned to Mandy that Port Silver is his hometown or anything about his horrific past there.

On the day Martin arrives to join his partne
Marianne
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Somewhere in all of this, there is a terrific story, one that’s screaming to be told. It’s not the staggering criminality of Riversend, but it’s certainly something to capture the imagination: murder and mystery, drugs and sex, celebrity and religion, all unfolding against a backdrop of real estate speculation, small-town ambitions and big-time money.”

Silver is the sequel to award-winning Australian author Chris Hammer’s first Martin Scarsden novel, Scrublands. Having just finished writing a tr
Kylie H
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Silver is the sequel to Scrublands which is a book that was an absolute favourite, 5 star read for me. While I really enjoyed this book, it didn't quite do it for me like its predecessor.
Martin Scarsden is returning to Point Silver, the place he was born, but also the place he fled from as a troubled teen. Not only does he arrive carrying a lot personal baggage, but he soon finds his girlfriend Mandy (from Riversend) has got herself into some deep trouble.
Once again Martin does himself no favour
Lin Roberts
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
A bit too long. I ran out of patience half way through and I didn't feel strongly enough about any of the characters to keep reading. DNF
Louise
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Bruce Hatton
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australian
In the follow up to the excellent "Scrublands", journalist Martin Scarsden returns to his hometown of Port Silver, intending to settle down to a quiet life with his partner Mandy and their son Liam. However, the quiet intentions are immediately shattered when Martin discovers the dead body of a childhood friend in Mandy's house. She also soon becomes the main suspect to his murder.
In his attempts to clear Mandy's name, Martin soon discovers a whole network of corruptions involving land grabs, in
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Bursting onto the scene in August 2018, Scrublands by Australian author Chris Hammer was a bestseller. I predicted it would go on to win awards and I was right. Now, seasoned journalist Martin Scarsden is back in the much hyped sequel Silver.

Martin has finished writing his book about the dramatic events at Riversend and moves with his girlfriend back to his hometown of Port Silver. No sooner does he arrive than his girlfriend is a suspect in the murder of an old school mate and the story begins.
Amber
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved Scrublands but this one took a lot longer to get into and it didn't have the same romance element with martin and mandy...
Andrea
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5★

It's still only a short time since events in Riversend (see Scrublands) unfolded. Former journo Martin Scarsden has just had time to quickly write the book that will become the definitive account, when he travels to Port Silver, his former hometown, to join Mandy and Liam to begin their new life together in the old homestead that she has inherited. But within minutes of his arrival, Martin stumbles upon a scene that will mark the beginning of a new nightmare for this seemingly doomed couple.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

The lighthouse sits atop Nobb Hill, catching the afternoon sun, a beacon of glowing white, almost silver against the clarity of the sky. Silver.’

The much praised author of last year’s smash hit, Scrublands, returns with Silver. Chris Hammer brings back dogged journalist Martin Scarsden for another round of crime. This time Martin is confronted with a brutal and complicated crime, striking at the heart of his life, as well as his painful past.

Debbie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Martin Scarsden is a journalist and a writer, who has been avoiding his past in his hometown of Port Silver most of his adult life. But when he meets a woman, Mandy Blonde, who has inherited a home in Port Silver, he makes the decision to return there with her.

But when Martin arrives home to meet Mandy, his childhood friend has been murdered and it seems that Mandy is a prime suspect. Though Martin has hung up his boots on journalism, he becomes involved in the case and his reporting skills com
Tim
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A slow-burn thriller that sets alight into a bonfire halfway through, Silver is a worthy follow up to Scrublands.

I have to admit that I was a little tepid at first with the lengthy set up of this book, but there were just enough unanswered questions laid as bait to keep tugging me along. I'm glad it did. The ending is fantastic with enough twists that if you guessed one, you didn't guess the others.

A note to prospective readers that if you think you need to read Scrublands before Silver, it's no
M - The long hot spell
Nov 01, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
NOT A REVIEW

It's a few notes on what I did read of this copy (provided, thank you, by Allen & Unwin).

I believe this book will appeal to many people but the novel simply wasn’t for me. No, seriously.

This is why:

I found it hard to connect with Martin, the main protagonist. He’s just not my kinda guy.

In fact, by almost a third of the way through, I still didn’t have any connection with Mandalay, Martin’s partner, either. There was little about their relationship that grabbed me.

There seemed to be a
TMR
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommended to TMR by: Silver Fans
Note: This is a sequel to Scrublands, therefore should be read in order to understand main character's life.

And that's exactly what I didn't follow through. Silly me. So I didn't really enjoy this novel as I didn't even have a clear understanding of the characters, and didn't know the whole story so well. Hence why I had to DNF earlier.

So until I read the first novel, I am going to have to stick to this rating.

Until the next read,

TMR
Kim
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
Setting: Northern NSW coast, Australia. Martin Scarsden has survived the traumas of Riversend (as detailed in Scrublands), written a true crime book about the events and is now joining his new girlfriend Mandalay Blonde (also from the previous book) in the town of Port Silver, where Mandalay is about to inherit a house. Port Silver is in fact Martin's hometown where family delight at a massive lottery win turned to tragedy on the same day with the death of his mother and twin sisters - a tragedy ...more
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up to 4. This was another solid mystery by the author of last year's bestseller Scrublands, but I'm not convinced that it would fit the "Thriller" category as his earlier book did. As commented previously, it's definitely a slower burn and at 566 pages, I'm not convinced that it couldn't have done with some tighter editing. That said, I enjoyed the opportunity to learn more about Martin Scarsden's past, and see his relationship with Mandalay develop further. The setting in the ...more
Ben Hobson
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bloody fantastic. Chris spends a great deal of time investing in character - so much so the churning plot feels all the more tense. Other authors might rush through character stuff to get to the plot but Chris doesn’t - he knows the more we care about the people in the story, the richer the stakes. Awesome writing.
Lee
I received this advance copy of Silver from the publishers (Allen and Unwin) and I really need to apologise to them that it has taken this long for me to read and submit a review. The problem was not that I didn’t want to read the book (I was thrilled to receive it and had thoroughly enjoyed book one, Scrublands) but the fact I was daunted by the sheer size of this book. At 583 pages, it's huge but, as it happened, I needn’t have worried.

I finished the book in a few days. Like Scrublands, I bec
The Nerd Daily
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Tasha Leigh

Last year when journalist Chris Hammer’s debut novel, Scrublands, hit shelves, there was a mass rush by Australian readers of crime to get their hands on it who then shout its praises from the rooftops. While not usually into the genre, I was one of these people thanks to my local bookstore and holy wow, I loved it with all my being. So much so I eagerly thrust it into the hands of my mother, who proceeded to look at me like I had thr

• Peace
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • The Survivors
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Bruny
  • Where the Dead Go
  • Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic, #3)
  • The Weekend
  • The Bluffs
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Hell to Pay
  • The Dictionary of Lost Words
  • A Room Made of Leaves
  • When She Was Good (Cyrus Haven, #2)
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)
  • Sheerwater
  • Gathering Dark
  • In Darkness Visible
Chris Hammer
Chris Hammer was a journalist for more than thirty years, dividing his career between covering Australian federal politics and international affairs. For many years he was a roving foreign correspondent for SBS TV's flagship current affairs program Dateline. He has reported from more than 30 countries on six continents. In Canberra, roles included chief political correspondent for The

Martin Scarsden (3 books)
  • Scrublands