Start by marking “The Demon Always Wins (Touched by a Demon #1)” as Want to Read:
The Demon Always Wins (Touched by a Demon #1)

The Demon Always Wins (Touched by a Demon #1)

Sometimes you have to go through Hell to claim your heaven…

Fallen angel Belial has seven short weeks to corrupt God’s favorite or wind up doing the backstroke in the Lake of Fire. In ten thousand years no woman has ever successfully resisted his allure but when he arrives at Dara’s clinic, she runs his application through the shredder and kicks him out the door. Has Hell’s
Kindle Edition
Published September 1st 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Demon Always Wins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Demon Always Wins

Start your review of The Demon Always Wins (Touched by a Demon #1)
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Untitled design-High-Quality
My Review

This one was a pleasant surprise a very enjoyable experience also my first foray with this author.
It’s an enemy to lovers paranormal romance that had a unique premise at the centre.

Events are set into motion here by the demon Belial to distract his boss from his own shortcomings.
A bet between God and Satan on an even playing field where god picks his player and then it’s Belial’s job to turn them to the dark side with his own brand of charisma and sweet corruption.

A battle for a soul but with fr
J.E.
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this quirky, well-written paranormal romance that centers around a demon sent to earth to tempt a woman in order to win a wager with the Enemy (i.e. God). A clever and refreshing twist on the genre. Jeanne Oates Estridge has a tale to tell that should appeal to all lovers of stories with strong female leads, serious bad boys, and the attraction that leads them both to change.
Brenda Lowder
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! I read an advanced reader’s copy, and after finishing it, I’m so glad I got the chance to read it right away. The heat between Dara and Belial is immediate and consuming and I was instantly pulled in. When she licked his neck, I knew I was all in! I felt immersed in their lives and the rich, well-conceived world in which the story takes place. And I was so invested in what was going to happen to them and between them that they felt like people I really knew. The story kept me ...more
Shari Heinrich
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Estridge opens the book with a creatively cuss-laden poker game in Hell, where Satan, a few other gods from mythology, the demon Belial, and the Enemy (aka, God) call, raise, and bluff. The scene sets the tone for the novel, where humor and religion mix. I give it a 4.5, but I’m always limited on that 5-point scale and I round down. Page 3 in the poker scene almost lost me, laden with some of my pet peeves—lots of “was” verbs, and it’s a crass game (even though it’s fun). I’m a more sensitive re ...more
Smut Report
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review available at The Smut Report.

Heat Factor: Holy Blue Balls, Batman!

Character Chemistry: “I know I should resist you since you’re an agent of Hell, but I just can’t!”

Plot: God and Satan make a bet

Overall: Fun, interesting, AND with a believable enemies-to-lovers storyline. We have a winner!

I voluntarily read and reviewed a complimentary copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. We disclose this in accordance with 16 CFR §255.

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Barbra Campbell
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The eternal business decision...let the boss win? A fun opening that continued to offer surprises to the absolute end with each twist.
Estridge tortured me with the realization I was going to root for a demon, since it's a romance, but with her funny dialogue and ever-escalating conflicts, I happily ended up on board. The story had many laugh out loud moments among the dark setting of good versus evil.
I couldn't wait to hear more about Dara and Belieal, so I took my computer along every time I ha
Arlene McFarlane
Irresistible charm is what this book has. A strong heroine who is nobody’s fool takes on a demon—and as demons go, he is quite likable!

Jeanne Oates Estridge is a talented, thorough writer who keeps the reader spellbound with her words. Don’t miss the chance to read this romantic paranormal. It will leave you hungry for more!

I’m grateful I had the opportunity to read an advanced reader copy.
Alexa Rowan
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this quirky enemies-to-lovers romance! It was a delight from start to finish. I read a lot of romance (and I mean, A LOT) and have never come across anything quite like this one. If you're in the mood to try something new and unexpected, this award-winning paranormal romance between a demon and a human is a treat. It's fun, funny, and full of delicious plot twists! ...more
Ellen Lindseth
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Humor, romance, suspense w/ a sexy demon

I wasn’t sure what to expect but this story really delivered! Funny, sexy, suspenseful, the plot kept me hooked until the final page. I loved how the hero, Belial, redeemed himself by the end. Highly recommended!
Deana The  Queen

I received a free copy of this book and am leaving a review voluntarily.

All work and no play makes Hell a very dull place.

When smoldering demon Belial beats Satan at a poker game with the Almighty, Loki, and Zeus, Belial needs to think quickly to distract his boss from tossing him in the Lake of Fire as punishment. Betting he can corrupt a woman of the Almighty’s choice in just a few weeks, all parties accept.

Belial’s target is widowed nurse Dara Strong, granddaughter of famous demon hunters.
Keyrsten
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dara has suffered much loss in her life, but has used that as the fuel to drive her forward in her mission to make the world a better place for those who are less fortunate. Her compassion is her motivation, what moves her to get up every day. No matter what challenges arise she continues to stay true to who she is and fights with everything she has. She has descended from a long line of demon fighters, and is able to recognize Belial for what he is from the get go. Even though he is more powerf ...more
Tracy
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Going into The Demon Always Wins I wasn't entirely sure what to expect but what I found was a fantastic read that I loved!

Jeanne Estridge wove an interesting, engaging, amusing story that had me hooked from the first chapter. Who'd have thought that I was gonna be keeping my fingers crossed for a demon??

Belial and Dana were a well matched pair.
On first meeting, the demon's well known charms seemed to be working on his 'target' but it didn't take Dana long to catch on to exactly what he was and
Elizabeth
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It all starts with a bet between Satan and the Enemy.

The ensuing battle between good and evil takes place in Florida, with various side-trips to Hell, and features Belial - a demon who expects to get a promotion after successfully winning the bet for Satan - and Dara Strong - a nurse who runs a free clinic.

I loved the description of Hell and it’s inhabitants, with everything from the various eternal tortures to the demons trying to make their way into the top positions in management. Certain of
Kimmie
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Omg what a totally amazing book! This is an extraordinary well written story and it is thought it and thought through. I could not put it down.

This is Daria and Bailel's story. He is a demon and she is gods chosen. And there is a bet between God and Satan to get her to do something in a time frame. But he is in for a shock when she is able to tell he is a demon. But that dose not discourage him he finds a way to be near her. But sometimes things do not go as we planed. Even for demons it seems.
Tracy Brody
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely love a book enough to give it 5 Stars. But I did this one and I even found myself rooting for a demon - kind of. ;) No spoilers.

THE DEMON ALWAYS WINS is original. It's entertaining. It's intellectual. It's engaging. It's funny - without being over the top or unbelievable. The author has a great voice. There are characters you can root for - and some you root against. It's also very well written and edited.

Author consistently upped the stakes and kept me engaged and thinking (incorrectly
Dan Melson
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good interplay between characters

The characters are the star of this book, the plot of which could almost be lifted from a twelfth century passion play. They are all well defined characters who do the things they do for reasons which are or become apparent over the course of the book. Nobody steps out of the character they really are in order to advance the plot. The research into the infernal is mostly good, although there are a couple of surprising holes.

The reader should be aware there are so
Kimberly Beckett
It took me a while to warm up (no pun intended) to Belial, but the story line drew me in, and once I had to chance to meet Dara, her grandmother, and the other characters that make this story so enjoyable to read, I was glad I kept reading. Jeanne has drawn believable, three dimensional characters and has provided us with a plot that keeps the reader turning the pages to find out what happens next. A truly enjoyable read. Highly recommend!
Julie Timmer
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It's very cleverly written, and the plot/setup is certainly not standard. I loved the wry take on the Underworld, and the interplay between and mortal and immortal. It's also a terrific page turner - I gobbled it up in 2 sittings. Jeanne Estridge is a master at creating tension, both in terms of plot and romance. Already can't wait for the next in the series. HIGHLY recommend. ...more
Christina
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The premise of THE DEMON ALWAYS WINS is fantastic and original and Estridge does a wonderful job with its the execution. The book is well-written and engaging from page one, and I enjoyed the complexity and strength of the characters, especially Dara. If you're looking for a read with humor, tension, and some romance, this is the right book for you. Great read! ...more
Joanna
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A poker game in hell. Belial the demon, Satan, Loki, Zeus, and the Enemy. A wager that is unlike any in the last 4000 years.
Enter Dara Strong.
This book was so much fun to read, I didn’t want to put it down! Lots of great tension between the main characters. Lots of fun tidbits based on religious stories. Lots of demon humor. I would definitely recommend!!
Sarah Andre
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic debut!

My eyes are burning from the hours of not being able to put this book down- what a terrific series this will be! Fantastic conflict that never lets up, unique twists, loved the characters and thoroughly enjoyed being immersed in this bet for a mortal soul! Highly recommend this and looking forward to her next one.
Deborah  Cleaves
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the strongly religious theme, I.e., Job without all the deaths, this was an engrossing and original plot with intriguing character changes. Well told and involving transformative nature of love. A true romance in that sense.
R.C. Matthews
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very few books make me laugh out loud AND cry, but this was one of them. I adored this story from beginning to end. Could not put it down. Stayed up way too late reading. That's all, folks. Pick it up. I don't want to ruin anything in the story line. So, so, good. ...more
Janna
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
God and Satan play poker together. They also bet against each other for souls. Belial is the demon chosen to corrupt one of the good humans. Not everything goes according to plan. That’s the brief of this great story.

At first, I was not too sure about this book. The start was a bit slow and I did not fancy Dara’s character but I learned to like her.
The story plot is good and it gets better and better the further along the story you go. It made me feel things which is always a good thing and I
S
Jan 06, 2021 rated it liked it
I read a variety of books and some hook me in immediately so that I will stay up all night to finish it. When I put a book down and months go by without me picking it back up and the only reason I did was to complete an obligation because it was an advanced reader copy tells me a lot.

Maybe it was the beginning with the slow start and all of the male posturing that made me lose interest rather quickly. When I did pick it back up there were some areas that tugged at my heartstrings, a few made me
Erin Ramsey
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. I started this book this MORNING and just could not put it DOWN! I read ALL 48 chapters in one sitting, it was just so good! Why is there not more books on angels vs. demons?! Literally every one I’ve ever read has been A M A Z I N G! Belial aka Dr. Ben or aka Dr Demon(my favorite name 😉) is as evil as they come, he’s a fallen Angel who’s lived thousands of years in hell. He’s also up for the biggest promotion ...more
Romance Rehab
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Romance Rehab: book recs, author services, general badassery: https://www.romancerehab.com/

Paranormal has been really hit or miss for me lately. It can all go so horribly wrong so fast--which makes me super leery of new-to-me authors. But I’m SO glad I set my fears aside and picked this little gem up.

Plot overview: Demon Belial bets God that he can corrupt Dara Strong. If he wins, Satan will promote him to a high-level managerial position in Hell. But Dara proves to be a tough nut to crack.

So, t
LizJ.
Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story’s premise is not original but the authors take on it is. I liked the creativeness of the world the author built, the descriptive quality you almost feel as if you are there whether in hell, heaven or Florida. The story has a great build up and excellent ending but is a little run on and on, it could use an edit to cut out some of the redundancy. All in all a good read.

Esmeralda Silva
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh Belial... The sexy doctor from hell! He is so much trouble but so much fun. Dara doesn't stand a chance. Or does She? Belial never Saw it comming, She just rocked his world. He's job isn't as easy as he thinks. I loved reading their story. ...more
Katja
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When Satan and God play poker it's hard to tell how the chips will fall. The supernatural gamesters make a bet that involves healthcare worker Dara Strong's eternal soul. If Dara can be forced to curse her creator Satan wins the bet. Dara gets chosen because she has a tragic past, a strong will, and demonhunter relatives. The demon Belial gets sent on earth to seduce her as Dr. Ben Lyle. She attempts to resist him but he is kind of hot. When other demons get involved she gets visited by the plag ...more

• Claw (Coven of Desire, #1)
  • Wildest (Demon Hunter Romance #2)
  • Ten Things I Hate About the Duke (Difficult Dukes, #2)
  • Neve (Silver Skates, #3)
  • Cowboy's Christmas Rodeo
  • Tempting the Scoundrel (House of Devon, #3)
  • Tempted: An Enemies-to-Lovers Mafia Romance
  • Christmas at the Coffee Shoppe
  • The Dugout (The Brentwood Boys, #2)
  • Edge of Eon (Eon Warriors, #1)
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • Short Horror Stories Vol.3 (World Creepy Tales, #3)
  • Point of Knives (Astreiant, #2)
  • The Earl and the Mud-Covered Maiden (House of Hale #1)
  • Calypso's Heart (Orion's Order #1)
  • Devotion: Isn't What it Seems (Love Isn't What It Seems #1)
  • A Protector For Phoebe (Love will OUT, #2)
  • Christmas in the City
Jeanne Oates Estridge:
• Has a Master's Certificate in Writing the Romance Novel from McDaniel College in Baltimorem where she studied with Jenny Crusie.
• Has her fingerprints on file at the FBI.
• Used her electives in her Bachelor's program in MIS to study Children's Fantasy Literature, Wildflowers and Anthropology of Religion.
• Is phobic about purchasing underwear.
• Won the 2015 RWA® Golden Heart