Start by marking “The Hidden King (The Coming of Áed #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden King (The Coming of Áed #1)

The Hidden King

(The Coming of Áed #1)

Hidden truths. Hidden power. Hidden destiny.

On the shores of a rusty sea, in the streets of a starving city, a young man named Áed scraps to build a life for himself and the makeshift family he loves. Scarred by a trauma he cannot remember, and haunted by the brutal damage it left behind, he has no idea of the courage his future will demand.

When tragedy strikes, a d
Published July 12th 2019 by Mythic Prairie Books

Start your review of The Hidden King (The Coming of Áed #1)
Alaina
The Hidden King sounded like a pretty good book. Then once I dove into it, I was liking everything that I was reading. Yet, the pace was kind of a hot mess for me because it would go from fast to slow throughout the book. At least for me.. but I did still enjoy everything that was happening.

I'm also kind of jealous of all the pretty eye colors within this world. Not sure if they mean something or not but I would be a-okay with violet eyes. Maybe even pink? Just saying. Other than that, you do ge
Lukasz
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hidden King is about, yes, you've guessed it, the hidden king. Shocking, I know.

Áed, a poor and illiterate boy from the Maze, lives with his partner and their adopted (sort of) son. An unexpected tragedy forces him to leave the place and seek refuge in the legendary White City, where he makes friends and enemies and discovers his secret origin. And powers. Although it sounds incredibly cliche, Radcliff's writing impressed me. I found the book polished, immersive, and engaging.

Radcliff's be
Yogaa Lakshmi
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
This book is a really well written book. It's adventurous, action-packed and the write influenced me in such a way that I was able to imagine myself from the main protagonist's shoes. The story revolves around a seventeen year old boy, Áed, who lives with his partner, Ninian and an orphaned boy, Ronan. The story is really well-written and is able to convey the right amount of feelings that the author wanted to convey. In short, this book is a fast-paced thrilling, coming-of-age adventure. I woul ...more
Maggie
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High fantasy, gritty danger, a promising city with a darker truth, a mad king, a heart-wrenching romance, and a spark of magic: it’s everything any fantasy reader could want.

The Hidden King is a one-night book: the kind I stay up way too late to finish because I simply must know what happens next. I found it impossible to put this book down; the plot is full of invigorating twists that kept the pages turning and my mind reeling.

There’s so much to love about this book, but my favorite aspect of
Tina
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher for allowing me an advanced copy of The Hidden King for an honest review!
I really enjoyed The Hidden King. I can't say it was a totally original story but that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it. It's a true rag to riches story that has themes from some of my favorite stories. Part Count Of Monti Cristo part Joseph from the bible, part Alladin. Aed is a street rat from the poor part of the world. Tragic circumstances send him on a journey with an end he could never im
Angela
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this as an ARC to read for free via Booksprout in exchange for my honest review.

From the time that I started The Hidden King, to the time that I finished, I was enthralled. E.G. Radcliff does a wonderful job at pulling you into the story and I found myself not wanting to put it down or wanting it to end.

This is a must read for any fan of high fantasy reads, YA or not. I cannot wait for the second book which will take us before the events of The Hidden King.
Jesse Bailey
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hidden King was a wonderful read to end my summer with. It's greatest strengths are its characters and prose, and goodness did I fall in love with the main character, Aed. The relationships in this book are where the author excels, bringing out relatable emotions between the characters, both heartwarming and heartwrenching.

I also applaud the author's choice for the queer romantic relationship featured. It's not super prominent, but at the same time, it's an important aspect of the story and
Buttercupp77
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this novel. I think it's fantastic start to the series and opens a lot of avenues for development while still being a cohesive story unto itself.

The world-building is excellent, despite being centered in a relatively small geographical area. While we don't learn anything about the wider universe, this, at first glance, makes sense as no events involving outside forces have bearing on the narrative. Furthermore, the author retains the freedom to create those plotlines at
Halo Scot
Feb 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An extraordinarily addictive fantasy infused with beloved characters and Celtic mystique.

I LOVE THIS BOOK. THIS IS ME SHOUTING ABOUT IT FROM THE VIRTUAL ROOFTOPS.

E.G. Radcliff has a new superfan in me. I heard about THE COMING OF ÁED on the Writing Community Chat Show (@writing_show), and the concept immediately enchanted me. It’s a Celtic-inspired dark fantasy with fae mythos and Leigh Bardugo, Holly Black, and V.E. Schwab vibes. I’ve visited Ireland and lived in Scotland, and Radcliff perfectl
KitKat The #BookNerd KBbookreviews
The Hidden King, by E.G Radcliff is a magnificent, Celtic inspired fantasy full of faeries, magic and danger. https://kbbookreviews867789450.wordpr...

Synopsis: Aed has built himself a life, a family, in a run-down city full of starving and violent people. He has very little memory of his past, but the trauma is forever with him buried in the physical damage it has caused.

But, when terror and tragedy strikes, Aed must risk everything to save the family he still has. Desperate for a better, safer
Ellie (ArianaKatnissGranger)
Jan 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr
I was very excited for this book after reading The Last Prince. I do think it helps immensely to read The Last Prince first as you understand who Áed, Ronan and Ninian are.

I did enjoy this book and look forward to the next in the series.

I would say my only issue if you could call it an issue is the pacing of the book for me, I feel like it's a little slow in areas but that's pretty standard when trying to introduce people to a new series so I can't be mad at it.

I will admit that this went in a
Estelle Tudor
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A blazing, captivating tale! I was pulled into Aed's story from the first page. I rooted for him and could sense something 'other' about him, the character being so well written.

The world building was full and rich, I especially loved the marketplace description. I felt as if I were seeing it through Aed's dazzled eyes. This rags to riches adventure is a satisfying read and the ending leaves you wanting more in a good way.

I cannot wait to read more from E G Radcliff, she has a way of drawing you
Caesara
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, I finished the book the same way I started it, in tears, thanks to an excerpt from the next book.
The stories about Aed and Ninian always made me cry.
I cried a lot during this book. The way Radcliff writes made me feel so vividly what Aed experienced: the loss of his love, the torture, the pain of not knowing what happened to Ronan, his interior turmoil, etc.
There were also funny moments with Ronan and Boudicca :) She is so funny when drunk :))) And Ronan is a sweet little boy who melts your
Cass™
Mar 31, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2020
1.5 out of 5

DNF-ed at 50%. I tried really hard to push through the book. I really, really did, but no matter how far I got I could just not click with book. There’s three main reasons I chose to DFN it. One: the premise was promising, but after a couple of chapter in and the very spoilery title, you sort of figure out the main conflict. Two: one main reason I chose to pick this up is because of my love for fae, and I had read through other reviews that they were featured here. But at 50% and fae
Sue Bavey
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
The title of this book meant that right from the beginning I found myself wondering which of the characters would turn out to be the king.  We meet the main character, Áed and his found family, Ninian and their eight year old ward, Ronan, in the dangerous, filthy streets of the gang-infested Maze, a part of the land known as The Gut.

Áed’s beloved Ninian dies after a prize fight near the beginning of the story and we find ourselves fearing for the safety of Áed and Ronan if the gang should come l
Lady Amanda
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
What a fun book!

I finished this book so quickly, because I just didn't want to put it down. I was instantly drawn into it because of the sweet love that Aed and Ninian had right from the start. They survive in a starving city together, and are truly partners in life.

I'm a huge sucker for a Found Family, which is exactly what I found right at the beginning of this story. Ninian, Aed and their semi-adopted son Ronan are so cute together. I love the idea of having a semi-adopted son in a starving
Monika
The Hidden King is a story about a hidden destiny of a 17 year old Aed. The story kicks off great and the fantasy is well kept throughout the book. One of a good YA fantasy books I have read. The characters well suit the flow of the story, which i think is based on a mythical lore. The author EG Radcliff keeps the plot interesting and the ending was great. Definitely not disappointing.
Thank you NetGalley, EG Radcliff and BooksGoSocial for reader’s copy of this book. The review is based on my opi
Alyssa Murphy
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you love high fantasy, Celtic influences, and a good lost-heir story? If so, you'll love The Hidden King.

Aed lives in the downtrodden Maze with his found family, scraping to get by and dreaming of a life beyond the one he's known. When a terrible misfortune strikes close to home, Aed is fired up with the courage to leave, desperate to carve out a life for himself and his family away from the chaos, dirt, and danger of the Maze. He finds himself in the legendary White City, where the streets a
Annika Parker
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to start off by saying I originally read this book for free with my trial for Kindle Unlimited. Not long after finishing reading it, I ordered the physical copy just because I needed to have this book on my bookcase.

I love everything about this book. It’s such an easy, but amazing read that catches your attention for the very first page. I cared about the characters from the very first pages. I cried, I screamed, I was put on an emotional rollercoaster with the characters. I love the uni
Rosie Amber

The Hidden King is a young adult fantasy and book one of a series. It begins on the streets of a city called The Maze where poverty and danger thrive. A tragedy occurs for a teenage boy called Áed, who takes his ward, a young boy called Ronan, and journeys to the forbidden White City where he hopes they can live a better life.

The White City is the opposite of The Maze, where its citizens live comfortably and have plenty to eat. However, it is overseen by a mad king, and any Maze inhabit
Pamela Marrs
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just awesome. The author did a very good job with detail, character background and development, world building, story telling and creativity, and This book is full of action, adventure, suspence, and it isn't exactly fast paced, but it has a smooth flow to the storyline. Nothing bleeds together and the words are clear enough. I have a vivid imagination and I can see this story taking place even as I read it. This is a one of a kind book that I recommend to anyone who likes really go ...more
Brittney's Review
This book has a great feel with its narrative of over comming immense obstacles while staying true to yourself, no matter how many times that view is revised. It shows that finding compassionate people who can help along the way is a blessing and rising from nothing isn't always the most important thing but rather what you do once you've risen and remembering where you came from. The story line is unique and has a good pace that pulls the reader along for the adventure. The magical elements, mix ...more
Rosie Greenwell
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic fantasy read and different to what I’ve read in the past. An Original storyline that makes you want to read until you have read the book.

This is Aeds tale of rags to riches and how he manages to find his way, with young Ronan to the “white city” to improve their lives after living in the slums of the maze. Along the way he makes a loyal friend, Boudicca.

Definitely one to read if you are looking for something different that will keep you turning the pages until you have the entire b
Angela
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Sahreth Bowden
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book grabs the reader's attention and keeps it all the way to the end. From it's heart-breaking beginning, through the tension and action of the journey, and its unprecedented ending, there is never a dull moment. The characters, plot, and atmosphere are well developed and it's grammatically proper. The author's take on almost dystopian world with realistic peoples and culture, as well as elements of fantasy is enthralling and sure to please. ...more
S.V. Filice
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A tale of pure fire

A gripping read that kept me scrolling. Each relationship brought new characters to life. Little Ronan is someone you can’t help but love and it’s through him that we read some of Áed’s most genuine moments.

How will the King hide his fire? What is to come of the Maze? I can’t wait to read more of Radcliff’s work!

The Hidden King is an enchanting novel I’d recommend to anyone who enjoys YA Fantasy and well deserved happy endings!
Jackie
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantasic debut novel a first in this series ! I read it quickly and really enjoyed it! i loved the storyline and hoping i dont have long to wait till the next book! Magic , romance and mystery all in one book this author put fntastic details in each character leaving you on the edge of your seat , a must read!!
Yoli C
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Incredible Read

I enjoyed this book so much!! Well written, enticing story, I'm glad it has more books to come! I only disliked one quality about it but I don't want to spoil anything.. READ THIS BOOK AND ENJOY!

Kimberly Quay
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of YA, but this one called to me. Radcliff is great at building a world that you can fall right into. I am always amazed at high fantasy because of the work it must take to create an entire world. Aed is a lovable character and keeps you reading. This is a well written and very imaginative story! I really enjoyed it! ...more
Sarah Coleman
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, loved the writing, will look for more from this writer. The characters were interesting and I found myself unable to put the book down.

« previous 1 3 next »

• Of the Blood (Heir of Blood and Fire, #1)
  • The Promise of Hades (The Hades Trials, #3)
  • My Name Is A'yen (A'yen's Legacy, #1)
  • Song Walker: Starseeds One
  • Start (Ouroboros, #1)
  • The Captain: A Dark Space Opera Adventure (The Captain's Inferno Book 1)
  • Liberation's Kiss (Robotics Faction: Android Assassins #1)
  • The Betwixt #1
  • Protector (Princesses of Myth #1)
  • Solitude's End (Echo's Way #1)
  • The Dragon Warrior and the Princess
  • Fherin (Kanosian Warriors, #3)
  • Without Armor: Elemental Fire (A Dark Faerie Tale #4.5)
  • Council of Consorts #1
  • Protected By the Wolf (A Werewolf's Curse, #1)
  • Gloaming (Wonder Tales #2)
  • Ignite the Sun
  • SEALs of Honor: Books 1-3 (SEALs of Honor, #1-3)
E.G. Radcliff IS A PART-TIME pooka and native of the Unseelie Court. She collects acorns, glass beads, and pretty rocks, and the crows outside her house know her as She Who Has Bread.

Her Coming of Áed fantasy series is crafted in the dead of night after offering sacrifices of almonds and red wine to the writing-block deities.

You can reach her by scrying bowl, carrier pigeon, or @egradcliff on soc

The Coming of Áed (2 books)
  • The Last Prince (The Coming of Áed, #2)