Start by marking “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Tales” as Want to Read:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Tales

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Tales

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  3,227 Ratings  ·  315 Reviews
F. Scott Fitzgerald, one of the greatest American writers, is best known for The Great Gatsby, considered by many to be the most important novel of the twentieth century. But Fitzgerald also made his living as a short story writer, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Tales collects four of his best.

The title story is a fantasy tale about a man who i
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published September 8th 2008 by Tantor Media (first published 1922)

Be the first to ask a question about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Other Jazz Age Tales

Elaine
Apr 04, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this short story. Maybe I was expecting more because the concept has so much promise. But it was short, sad, and I could not willingly suspend my disbelief regarding how people reacted to Benjamin, from the doctors in the beginning to his very own family throughout. I also found it a little bit difficult to believe how Benjamin reacted in turn, as well. It read more like a synopsis than a story -- Fitzgerald doesn't explore any of Benjamin's relationships; it's more like a play-by- ...more
Platon Cristina
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
„- Ești exact la vârsta cea mai romantică, continuă ea. Cincizeci de ani. Douăzeci și cinci e prea cinică și sofisticată; treizeci e numai bună pentru paloarea excesului de muncă; patruzeci e vârsta poveștilor lungi, care durează cât un trabuc fumat în întregime; șaizeci e... ah, șaizeci e prea aproape de șaptezeci; dar cincizeci e cu adevărat floarea vârstei. O ador.”

„Mintea lui ajunsese acea splendidă tabula rasa care rămâne uneori în urma educației universitare...”
Amber
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Offshore Pirate:
This was ultimately my favorite short story of the book. The story is about Ardita a snobbish young woman who believes she can do whatever she pleases. Ardita is a great character and her attitude towards everyone made me giggle, it was just so entertaining on how she treats everyone. She throws a half eaten lemon at her own uncle, rude and childish but funny as hell. The story actually begins on Ardita’s uncle’s ship, she is suppose to head to shore and meet the man she is t
Mary Overton
I read the title story, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," being curious myself about how it inspired the 2008 movie of the same name. (A mediocre film based on a great premise - a person aging backward.) The story was first collected in TALES OF THE JAZZ AGE, 1922, with the following note by Fitzgerald:

'This story was inspired by a remark of Mark Twain's to the effect that it was a pity that the best part of life came at the beginning and the worst part at the end. By trying the experiment
Janet
Jan 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're thinking about reading this because you loved the movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", you may be disappointed. There are very few similarities with the story and movie but if you (like me) are a fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald's writing, you will enjoy these stories. "Benjamin Button" is a very minor part of them. This is quite a varied collection. The "Jazz Age" and "Flapper Stories" have their highs and lows yet I appreciated the historical perspective that the stories gave me. T ...more
Djrmel
audiobook read by Grover Gardiner - I'd like to be more positive about these stories, but as the collection progressed, a single, sad thought kept coming to my mind - Fitzgerald really was a one hit wonder. That might be unfair, in that these stories are his early works, but they were published, so they do stand as a part of his body of work. The titled story is pretty good, especially in concept. And the arc of the main character gives an interesting look at what would happen if we really were ...more
Melissa Rochelle
Mar 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I never loved The Great Gatsby in high school...I seem to recall thinking Gatsby was a buttface and Daisy was an idiot. Maybe I should read it again, because I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Yes, there were some I didn't like, but my favorites more than make up for those that I didn't like.

"Bernice Bobs Her Hair"... warrants a second reading, Marjorie deserved what she got in the end! Justice for the unfavored girl!
"Head & Shoulders" ...beautifully bitter ending...great tak
Jenny
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is F. Scott Fitzgerald. Of course, I loved it. I would have given it five stars, but stories like "Tarquin of Cheapside" and "Jemina" make that impossible. Still, it's a good collection of Fitzgerald's Jazz Age stories. Off the top of my head, my favorite stories are "May Day," "Bernice Bobs Her Hair," "The Lees of Happiness," "The Ice Palace," "The Cut-Glass Bowl," "Head and Shoulders," "Off-Shore Pirate," and "Four Fists." I'm sure there are more that I really liked, but again, I'm doing ...more
Siobhan
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, 2011
I had been planning to read The Great Gatsby for years and picked up a copy when I was browsing a soon-to-close local Borders. This book was next to it, so I scooped up a copy of this as well. I'm probably the last person on the planet to fall in love with F. Scott Fitzgerald. What a writer! His sentences are so finely crafted and the stories are jewels to treasure. He so captures the era in which he wrote -- at least as far as I can tell. 0
علي الماجد
شاهدت الفلم الذي اداه ببراعة الممثل الرائع براد بت

رغم الخيال الخصب و الفكرة انني لم اصل الى المغزي لها

لا ادري فعلا عن فكرة الفلم تبدو سهلة جدا و غامظة جدا في نفس الوقت

جسد عجوز خارجي لينتهي العكس

خيال جميل لكن لم ارى فكرة
Elisha
The Jelly-Bean: 1.5 stars
This was my least favourite short story in the whole collection, which was pretty worrying considering that I read this one first. It didn't really appeal to me at all. I'm awarding it an extra 0.5 star because I did like the character of Nancy, I just didn't like her storyline or anyone's storyline for that matter. This was a poor story in my opinion and it's a real shame that it's the first one in the anthology. After reading this one, I must admit that I dreaded the
Staceyj
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful short story collection.
Kristin
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Disclaimer: This review & rating is specifically for the short story The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. If you are looking for a review of the entire book then others perhaps will be more helpful.

I really liked the movie version of this story and it's what drew me to this (as I'm sure most people can attest to as well). Cate Blanchett is other-worldly and I loved the deep narrative of life, love, and in between. However, this story is so far removed from the movie that the only similarity
Thom Swennes
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A circle is a line curved to infinity. Often life is described as a circle; one is born, grows up, (hopefully) falls in love, has children, grows old, mourns and then dies; only to repeat this in another dimension. What a truly beautiful thought. Who can find fault with this? It is simple….. Now, change the direction of this circle of life….. That is what F. Scot Fitzgerald did in his amazing story The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Mr. and Mrs. Roger Button have a baby. That doesn’t sound, in ...more
Kristi
Aug 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought Fitzgerald’s writing was clever and imaginative and moving and vivid. I also think he’s a very sad, disillusioned, jaded, unhappy man. The only other Fitzgerald book I’ve read was The Great Gatsby, but this mix of short stories confirms what I suspected about him. His world view seems to be that anything that appears to be good is merely a façade over a darker truth, and that the only purpose of a relationship is to get something out of it. Every single woman he portrayed was either an ...more
Katie Herring
As a whole, this collection of short stories is okay. Individually though, some of these stories are phenomenal.

My favorites were:
The Offshore Pirate,
Head and Shoulders,
Bernice Bobs Her Hair,
The Four Fists,
Porcelain and Pink,
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,
And The Lees of Happiness.

I would definitely recommend this collection, but beware, this tale of Benjamin Button is quite different from the movie. The ploy is still the same, though. A man aging backwards.

F. Scott, I am happy to say, is
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
There seems to be a number of versions of this book, all with different selections. The one I read contained the following stories, all of which I had read previously in other publications:

1)The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. This was one of my two favorites. Interesting and funny story about backwards aging.

2)Babylon Revisited. My other favorite. Really captures an era and the sad consequences of self-indulgence.

3)Three Hours Between Planes

4)The Bridal Party

5)The Lost Decade

3.5 stars over
Bellezza
Apr 13, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
For once, the film outdid the short story. A bizarre tale, which seems to me to cleverly mock adult expectations for their children specifically and life generally. It varies greatly from the movie; one possiblity could be that the book was about 50 pages long whereas the film added all kinds of bits to add up to almost three hours. The two are quite dissimilar, in fact, and I was disappointed in reading this knowing that F. Scott Fitzgeral was its author.
Martin
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this book so far, I forgot how much I used to enjoy Fitzgerald's stories, it has been a long time since I read him. But I really brought the book to read Benjamin Button, I loved the movie but it was a real stretch from the short story.

It was breath taking, there was an emotional connection that made you keep reading until the last page. It's a beautiful story that can make you giggle or cry, but it's worth every last tear.
Karla
The only story that truly interested me was the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I read a few of the others but they seemed to end without ever stating a plot. I realize that they are short stories, but they seemed more like UNFINISHED stories to me.
Jessika
Like others who reviewed this edition, the stories were great but the editing was terrible. Actually bad enough to be distracting.
Brianna
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Youth in this jazz-nourished generation is temperamentally restless."

Wow. Where do I start?
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked up this book. I've read Great Gatsby and fell in love with Fitzgerald's writing style and vivid characters, but felt unsatisfied with the length of the novel and some of its pretensions.

Getting on my hands on a book of his short stories and plays worked out perfectly. Having read them now, I can see his short stories is where he really thrives. Maybe Great
Noha
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"To these two life had come quickly and gone, leaving no bitterness, but pity; not disillusion, but only pain. There was already enough moonlight when they shook hands for each to see the gathered kindness in the other's eyes."

I love Fitzgerald's style and choice of words but I never thought I'd enjoy this book this much since short stories aren't generally my favorite.
This is by far the best collection of short stories I've ever read.
You'll find everything in this book. Happiness and pain and
Kristen Darienzo
"This unlikely story begins on a sea that was a blue dream, as colorful as blue-silk stockings, and beneath a sky as blue as the irises of children’s eyes." [from The Offshore Pirate]

To be honest I really thought that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was an actual book since the movie was so in depth. I was surprised to find out it was just a short story.

This collection is really diverse, lots of stories; but my favorite wasn't Benjamin Button (the reason I had bought the collection in the fi
Dori Sabourin
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It probably won't come as a surprise, that out of these stories, my favorite is "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." I also watched the movie, discovering that it did not follow the book completely. In the book, Mr. Button, the father, raises him; whereas in the movie, Benjamin is left on the doorstep of a retirement home. I would recommend this book to fans of F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Ross
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald never disappoint. His writing style, surprise and quirky language engage the reader from start to finish. Wish there were more in this collection!
Cassandra
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally weird, but fun, easy read. Great on audiobook too.
Renata Sutton
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
loved the stories
Alex Karei
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read anything of Fitzgerald's and I was pleasantly surprised. The first time in awhile I've enjoyed the words and descriptions as much as the stories.
Angelique
Flappers and Philosophers
- "The Offshore Pirate" - 3/5 stars. A nice story with a surprise ending that shows glimpses of Fitzgerald's genius. Ardita was a fun character to read about. Overall, a story worth reading.
- "The Ice Palace" - 3/5 stars. A rather predictable story with a contrast of heat and cold that could have been developed a lot more. Still a good read.
- "Head and Shoulders" - 5/5 stars. I loved this story. Horace and Marcia were the cutest couple I have ever encountered in lite
  • How It Ended: New and Collected Stories
  • Stories
  • A Night at the Movies, Or, You Must Remember This: Fictions
  • Licks of Love: Short Stories and a Sequel, "Rabbit Remembered"
  • Heavy Water and Other Stories
  • Enchanted Again
  • Grunts: Inside the American Infantry Combat Experience, World War II Through Iraq
  • Back in the World
  • A Good Fall
  • Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales
  • The Clothes Have No Emperor: A Chronicle of the American '80s
  • American-Made: The Enduring Legacy of the WPA: When FDR Put the Nation to Work
  • Panama Fever: The Epic Story of One of the Greatest Human Achievements of All Time-the Building of the Panama Canal
  • Disintegration: The Splintering of Black America
  • Letters to Jackie: Condolences from a Grieving Nation
  • A Brave Vessel: The True Tale of the Castaways Who Rescued Jamestown and Inspired Shakespeare's The Tempest
  • Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...

“There are times when you almost tell the harmless old lady next door what you really think of her face—that it ought to be on a night-nurse in a house for the blind; when you’d like to ask the man you’ve been waiting ten minutes for if he isn’t all overheated from racing the postman down the block; when you nearly say to the waiter that if they deducted a cent from the bill for every degree the soup was below tepid the hotel would owe you half a dollar; when—and this is the infallible earmark of true exasperation—a smile affects you as an oil-baron’s undershirt affects a cow’s husband.

But the moment passes. Scars may remain on your dog or your collar or your telephone receiver, but your soul has slid gently back into its place between the lower edge of your heart and the upper edge of your stomach, and all is at peace.”
5 likes