Start by marking “Dragon's Halloween” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Halloween

Dragon's Halloween (The Dragon Tales)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Gentle blue Dragon's spooky, silly Halloween tale, by Dav Pilkey, the award-winning author/illustrator of the Captain Underpants series is perfect for beginning readers.

Dragon loves spooky Halloweens! But when he buys six small pumpkins that his friends tell him will never be scary, Dragon must come up with creative ways to make this Halloween just perfect. Dragon's antics
Published September 1st 2003 by Orchard Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Halloween

Cheryl
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not my favorite of the series, but then I'm not a big fan of Halloween, either. I dunno if this would appeal more to fans of that holiday, maybe so.
Katharine
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, humor, dragons
Not the best Dragon book, but OK.
Pam
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
3.5*
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
What a great little series from Dav Pilkey. The chapters are short so it's a good introduction to 'chapter books'. The stories are sweet and understandable and help to build children's confidence as they can pretty quickly conquer the stories. I think they are particularly good for children who are reading above grade level.

In the Halloween book there are 3 short stories:
1. Six Small Pumpkins
2. The Costume Party
3. The Deep Dark Woods

Written at the 3rd Grade level, these books appeal to kids' fun
Laura Murphy
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was very much a nostalgia purchase and I do not regret it. My dad read this to me when I was a very small child so, being the nostalgia junkie that I am, I knew I had to pick this up.
This book is just as enjoyable now as it was nearly 20 years ago with cute drawings (including some mouthwatering pumpkin food depictions), plenty of cats and the endearing story of a blue Dragon celebrating Halloween in his own, unique way.
ABC
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kindergarteners
Shelves: younger-kids
I didn't think this was a great as Dragon's first book ("A Friend for Dragon") but it was still cute.

It is divided into very short chapters. First, Dragon makes a scary monster out of some pumpkins. Next, he goes to a costume party, a pumpkin lands on his head, and he scares the others so much that a hippo sits on a mouse. (The mouse is squashed but apparently fine.) Last, Dragon is walking alone in the woods and hears a scary growling sound--which of course is just his stomach.
Dolly
Aug 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
We have really enjoyed The Dragon Tales series of books by Dav Pilkey. They are funny and silly and entertaining and encourage young readers to expand to beginning chapter books. This is a fun book with a Halloween theme. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Beth
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, halloween
In the first short section, Dragon learns that six small pumpkins can be turned into a scary pumpkin man. The costume party is the next section. Dragon wears three costumes as once, but that doesn't work as planned. In the last section Dragon hears a noise which ends up being his stomach. He returns home to make a pumpkin feast.
Dragon learns to deal with things that don't turn out as anticipated in these short and easy to read tales.
Miss Ryoko
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wow the other animals in this book are really mean!

The illustrations are cute. I definitely remember this book being a lot better than it actually is. It's cute, and dragon is kind of a ditz, so I guess he's supposed to be charming. It's not horrible but it's not great. It's just simply in the middle
Malbadeen
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Halloween lovers and scaredy cats
A great book for kids (or adults) that sense Halloween is spooky but really aren't ready for the hard core stuff yet. Dragon scares himself with his own pumpkin carving, A pumpkin splats on his head at a party and a mouse gets squished under a hippo's butt, and his own stomach growls scare the bejesus out of him until he realizes what it is.
oh dragon! you silly, silly dragon! I love you.
Tori
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
PB 8: Dav Pilkey is one of my favorite authors and this book did not disappoint. It's a very easy chapter book and it's also relate able to children. I absolutely love the illustrations which make the book amazing and the stories are very cute. Dragon always ends up winning in the end, even if the journey is tougher than he wants it to be.
Tam
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: halloween
My child loves the "Dragon" books but this one wasn't as funny as some of the others (which is why I'm giving it 3 stars instead of 4). This book has 3 chapters: Six Small Pumpkins, Costume Party and The Deep Dark Woods.
Vicki
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the earlier books by Dav Pilkey, especially the Dragon books. This book has 3 short chapters which can be used individually as a read aloud or together for an older group. If you enjoy silliness and cute pictures choose this book near Halloween as a read aloud great.
Andrea
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cute beginner chapter book about Dragon's Halloween adventures. In the first chapter, Dragon looks for pumpkins. In the second chapter, Dragon figures out a costume. In the third chapter, Dragon has a scary adventure in the woods.
Erica
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute Halloween book for elementary readers. We follow Dragon through his Halloween night adventures through a few short chapters that include full-page pictures. It's all the fun of Halloween wrapped up into one, easy-to-read book for kids!
Amy Carr
Oct 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Dragon. I love this series of books for emerging "chapter book" readers about a sweet, lovable dragon who is solving simple problems with some funny mishaps along the way. Great illustrations and very sweet stories!
Sherry
Love this book so much! Very funny early reader chapter book. LOVE the beginning of chapter three: "The moon was full, the sky was dark, and the stomach was empty." Not only makes sense in the context of the previous chapter, but reminds me of Snoopy's dark and stormy night.
Patty
Nov 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: child-picture
This book highlights three stories about Dragon's adventures during the Halloween season. The drawings are colorful and cute. The stories are short, witty, and funny.

For those familiar with the Accelerated Reader Program, this is a level 3.1 book.
Judy
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Enjoyed reading this book to my K and 1st grade library students. It has a "Frog and Toad" or "George and Martha" kind of feel, and those are favorites of the kids. Cute illustrations, simple yet funny humor--this book is a Halloween winner!
Jenny
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a charming book! Dragon is so sweet. And I love the section with his stomach growling. Somehow I can relate to that =)
Kristina Silverbears
The short chapters were interesting, but Dragon's friends are unkind. Not the role models I want my kids reading about.
Anca Maria
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked it.
Amanda Allen
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Boy LOVED this book. And I found it entertaining as well. He took the bed and I bought the other three. Win, win, win.
Briana
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
Five star illustrations! Love the way he mixes colors together.
Alexandria
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My favorite story is the costume party. The pictures are very nice also.
Samantha
Nov 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Dragon is such a loveable character!!! I was sad every time he was sad and I laughed whenever things turned out right. Pilkey has a way with characters. =)
Elyce
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great starter chapter book. Divided into 3 chapters with different story lines helps students keep the stories separate. Cute stories abut Dragon scaring himself and his friends.
Julie
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book may not have top-tier stars, but students love the Dragon stories. Fantastic read-aloud for primary children!
Susan
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Froggy's Halloween
  • Zen Ghosts
  • It's Halloween
  • Happy Halloween, Biscuit!
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • Frankenstein
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • In the Haunted House
  • The Very Best Pumpkin
  • A Job for Wittilda
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Vampire Boy's Good Night
  • Little Witch's Big Night (Step into Reading)
  • Big Pumpkin
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Clifford's First Halloween
  • Too Many Pumpkins
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...

The Dragon Tales (5 books)
  • A Friend For Dragon