Start by marking “A Friend For Dragon” as Want to Read:
A Friend For Dragon

A Friend For Dragon

(The Dragon Tales)

Dragon's the butt of a practical joke, but in his innocence, he emerges the winner . . . The silliness is right on target for tickling young readers.--Booklist. Pilkey's endearing stories are perfect for beginning readers.--Publishers Weekly.
Published September 1st 1994 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published 1991)

Muse Here
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of children mourning
Shelves: kids
This is a great book, it's very emotionally written. My children were quite sympathetic when I first read it to them. Then, after my middle daughter's best friend died in a fire, I got the book and read it again. (She cried the first time through it) but the second time it seemed almost unbearable to her, seeing it from a much more personal perspective. I thought it was good for her though, seeing someone else feel what she is feeling, even in it's simplistic way.
If someone your children knows
Ashley
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Writing books for children who can't read is hard. I've tried. When my son was learning to read, these books (I think there are four.) were life changing. He hated to read the plot-free stories at school. He hated reading. It was boring. Honestly, when I looked at what he was having to read, I had to agree. The beginner books were boring. We went on search for interesting books with very low reading levels. He was never going to make it to the higher levels until he read some on the lower ones. ...more
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
This story is a little sad. Dragon is lonely and wants a friend. He is tricked into thinking an apple is his friend. Things kind of go down hill from there.
Kara
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Certainly my favorite Dav Pilkey book, because it digs a little deeper.
Dragon finds an apple and it becomes his best friend. When he takes it to the doctor, a walrus eats it and leaves nothing but the core. Dragon, brokenhearted, buries the apple, which he assumes is dead, and of course, a tree grows from the seeds and produces new apples to be Dragon's friends.
The circle of life isn't a topic for every great children's book, but it often makes good ones great, and Friend For Dragon is no excep
TJ
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
What the actual hell Dav Pilkey. This book starts out about a silly dragon who is tricked into thinking apples can talk. Then the apple gets sick and goes to the doctor, who offers to examine the apple rather than revealing the joke. Then the apple gets eaten, turns brown, then "dies". At no point is the joke revealed. There's a tombstone for the apple, and the dragon spends time grieving for his friend. Then he realizes there are more apples in the world and replaces the apple, the end.

Try to
Becky
First sentence: There once was a blue dragon who lived in a little house all by himself. Sometimes Dragon got lonely. "I wish I had a friend," said Dragon. So he went out into the world to look for a friend.

Premise/plot: Dragon is a lovable character created by Dav Pilkey. This is his first book; it is an early chapter book. Dragon is LONELY, oh-so-lonely. His first few attempts at making a friend fail. It seems, at first, that he will always be lonely and friendless. Then he meets APPLE...Is A
Catherine Austen
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like all the Dragon books but this one is my fave. It's beautiful--funny and sweet and poignant. Children find it hilarious while adults are deeply moved by it. Dragon is right up there with Frog and Toad among the great easy-readers. The illustrations and words are simple, yet say so much.
Jennings
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly melancholy for a Pilkey book.
Bethany
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All Dragon wants is a friend, but doesn't have any luck. The squirrel is too busy, the hippo is too tired, and the crocodile is too grouchy. As he's sitting under a tree, an apple falls and hits him on the head. The snake decides to play a trick on Dragon and makes him believe the apple can talk. Dragon has finally found a friend.

At home, the apple won't talk. Dragon becomes worried when he can't wake him, so he brings him to the doctor. Here, the apple is eaten and turns brown and mushy. Dragon
Bryan
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found 2 of the Dav Pilkey "Dragon" tales at my local thrift store last weekend and couldn't wait to share these with my class. I was unaware of these titles and was delighted that none of my first graders knew about them as well. Dav Pilkey's Dog Man titles are VERY popular with younger children at the moment so I always love sharing an author's other lesser known work with children to try and help promote the "exploration of an artist" trait I do myself (and have always done as a enthusiastic ...more
RedPoppyReading
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
“A Friend for Dragon” is part of a new-line of illustrated early readers, called Acorn. I am so excited for this line of books aimed at 4-7year olds, because I have a five-year-old who is just learning to read. “A Friend for Dragon” is the tale of a Dragon who is in search of a friend and finds a friend in an apple. It is funny and sweet with a bit of sadness but has a very happy ending. I loved that it also showed some of the keys to being a good friend: sharing, listening and having things in ...more
Nicola
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a contrast to Captain Underpants! Miss 3 loves C. Undies so I thought I'd try some of Dave Pilkey's other works. His Dragon books have come as a pleasant surprise. A very different tone, morals are more about kindness and helpfulness, and Miss 3 has enjoyed them. Such a sweet ending! Readers are likely to enjoy Sophie's Squash.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or
Irene
Very emotional for adults. I had a lunch break to kill and was attracted by the gorgeous pictures in this book, plus, how can you not love a dragon? So I picked it up from my library and read through it. And man, this is deep stuff. I mean, for a kid it might just be a hilarious series of misunderstandings, but for adults...whoa, a punch in the gut, especially after eating. Just lovely. Use it to teach empathy and sharing and why not, even bullying. A must read for beginner readers.
Kate Madison
Sep 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
What kind of strangeness is this? I don't get this book at all. All kinds of darkness in this one. Inanimate objects for friends? I get that its supposed to be about loss and grieving but surely there is a better example than an apple getting eaten and buried. I think maybe this is an example of a popular author whipping out a book just to fulfill their obligations to the publisher. I will NOT be shelving this title in my elementary school library.
Sarah T.
Part funny, part a book about mourning. I love the dragon, he's super cute. I think as far as storytime goes, I'd have to only pick a chapter at a time to read. Is it weird that I was slightly weirded out by the dragon finding the apple and then a snake being all sneaky around the apple tree? Kinda biblical? I should probably just ignore that... I also marked with a "making-stuff_how-to" tag because you learn at the end how to draw a dragon!
Anthony
A lonely Blue Dragon while searching for a friend is deceived by a snake in the grass into thinking that an apple can talk, and wants to be his friend. Dragon soon discovers that there are real hardships in life, but given time wounds will heal.
Erin Downing
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This short, heavily-illustrated story (early chapter book? Long easy reader?) is one of our favorites. So sweet, touching, and funny. We’ve probably read this as a family a hundred times. One of my fave Dav Pilkey stories.
Christine Hwang
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Dragon wants a friend. Snake tricks Dragon into thinking that a rock is his new friend. Find out what happens!
Lumi / Otso
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute.
Krissy Neddo
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Purchased the set of Acorn's new mini sized early readers. This one has a bit more text. The apple tree grew amazingly fast!
Matt
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy these books and I think Dragon is such a cute character. These are probably my favorite Pilkey books.
Karen Piedra
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute beginning chapter book! Perfect for grades K-2.
Nam
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Pilkey wrote a powerful book here. A very nice introduction to death and grief.
Kaelin Miller
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My teacher read this to me in first grade and I enjoyed it. Dav Pilkey is an amazing author who excels in writing books. Well done, Pilkey!
Y.Poston
cute, weird & still unsure of
what to think
Katey Howes
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reminiscent of Frog and Toad, but with a fresh new twist, A Friend for Dragon is a fun, thoughtful, and well-leveled reader for children new to simple chapter books.
Angela
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, easy-reader, my-kid
My 2-year-old said he liked it. I did not.
Cheryl
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pilkey's books tend to look silly, but have an undercurrent of wisdom and/or poignancy. This may be the exemplar. Absolutely wonderful for the target readership; interesting for those of us who avidly read picture-books. I will go back and reread some of his others (for example, the first one we read was The Hallo-Weiner and I will read more 'Dragon Tales.'

If this presentation of the theme doesn't appeal to you, a different book with the same message is Sophie's Squash.
Pam
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lower-elem
Simple to read text and easy to follow illustrations.
Dragon wants a friend but the other animals refuse - too busy, too tired, etc. The snake plays a trick on him and makes Dragon think an apple is talking. He brings it home and takes care of it as a good friend. Four short stories show the friendship develop and how Dragon copes when the apple "dies." A new friendship ends the book when an apple tree grows and drops another apple by him.
Jason Brinley
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 next »
UAPL Youth and Te...: Early Readers 6 9 Jul 02, 2015 02:53PM

• Poppleton Forever (Poppleton)
  • Make Way For Dumb Bunnies (The Dumb Bunnies, #3)
  • Uncle Elephant
  • Fancy Nancy: The Dazzling Book Report
  • Little Witch's Big Night
  • The Adventures of Marco Polo
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • The Adventures of Odysseus
  • Chameleon, Chameleon
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • Commander Toad in Space (Commander Toad)
  • Nate the Great Saves the King of Sweden
  • Billy Twitters and His Blue Whale Problem
  • Come Away From The Water, Shirley
  • Cecil the Pet Glacier
  • Bink & Gollie: Best Friends Forever
  • Fox On The Job (Easy To Read Level 3)
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

The Dragon Tales (5 books)
  • Dragon Gets By