Start by marking “The Edge of Belonging” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Belonging

The Edge of Belonging

(The Edge of Belonging #1)

When Ivy Rose returns to her hometown to oversee an estate sale, she soon discovers that her grandmother left behind more than trinkets and photo frames--she provided a path to the truth behind Ivy's adoption. Shocked, Ivy seeks clues to her past, but a key piece to the mystery is missing.

Twenty-four years earlier, Harvey James finds an abandoned newborn who gives him a se
Published September 8th 2020 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published September 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Belonging, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Belonging

Start your review of The Edge of Belonging
Susan Snodgrass
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I almost passed this book by. My influencing schedule was full and there were books I wanted to reread, but it kept calling to me. I am so very glad I listened to its voice. Let me tell you now: this book is worth way more than the allowed five stars. Way more.

One night a thirty year old homeless man named Harvey finds a just born baby girl abandoned on the side of the highway near the woods in which he lives. He takes her in, names her Ivy Rose and starts loving her. But how will Harvey manage
Heidi Chiavaroli
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved this story!

From endorsement:

The Edge of Belonging is a beautiful story about broken people coming together to find healing. With a masterful pen, Amanda Cox draws us into a story of dynamic characters, organic faith elements, gentle romance, and an authentic celebration of life and humanity. A touching and brilliant debut novel that is sure to linger sweetly in the minds and hearts of readers.
Bonnie DeMoss
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dual-timelines
The Edge of Belonging by Amanda Cox is a multi=timeline novel set mostly in Tennessee. It shifts from 1994 to 1998-1999, and back to Present Day.

In 1994, Harvey, homeless and living by the highway, finds an abandoned baby girl. He connects with her immediately, trying to care for her in his lean-to by the side of the road. Abandoned as a boy, he hopes to make a family with this lost little girl.

In the Present Day, Ivy, who is in an abusive relationship with a controlling fiance, returns home t
Paula Shreckhise
Amanda Cox tells an exquisite tale of finding home and family. The story is about Ivy Rose and is told from two perspectives. Present day Ivy yearns to know her beginnings. In flashbacks we see baby Ivy from her first day. Four seemingly diverse people are brought together by a tiny baby.
This is an achingly beautiful story of growing faith and living out the love of Christ despite difficulties. The characters are real and relatable. They have their flaws but Ms. Cox shows us that compassion can
Gloria
This book was not on my radar until I saw that someone else was reading it and it caught my eye. Wow! What a beautiful, emotional tapestry of love - sacrificial love, that of family in blood and that of family of choice, of God's healing love, and love that fills holes of loneliness.
When a homeless man living in the woods finds an abandoned baby, he decides to keep her. Harvey was an orphan who grew up in foster care and children homes, passed on when he wore his welcome out, never feeling love
Deanne Patterson
For a debut author let me tell you Amanda Cox really knows how to pack a punch!
You start reading and all is well you are sailing along fine, you start to get comfortable but in the back of your mind you're waiting,watching wondering . THEN......... all of the sudden take a deep breath, it hits you, a punch in the gut. You're sucker punched and you can't quite catch your breath.
The author really brings out all the emotions in you and I really look forward to seeing what she'll come out with next!
Stacey Ulferts
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Edge of Belonging left me feeling better than it found me. After I finished reading it, I sat back and mulled it over. I realized I had just read a book about extremely heavy topics and yet I came away feeling lighter and more hopeful than before I started. I am blown away by how Amanda Cox took such tragic topics and wove them together in a truly beautiful, heartwarming story. This book is an insightful look at family and what being one really means. It is that and so much more. I will be r ...more
Staci
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Lovely debut!

The Edge of Belonging unravels the story of Ivy Rose in dual timelines: Present Day and her birth year of 1994. As a young adult, Ivy knows she was adopted, but longs to know more about her history and birth parents. Readers get to know Ivy in present day as she struggles with a romantic relationship and the loss of a relative.

While both time frames were compelling, it was Pearl and Harvey in 1994 that stole my heart. Both demonstrate sacrificial love and a yearning for companionshi
Rachel Fordham
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a foster parent...which means I LOVE and HATE books that deal with foster care, abandonment etc. So many of them get it wrong. Obviously, every experience is different (even every child I have had, has had a different story) but some books get it all fundamentally wrong making it so hard to read. This book wasn't one of those. Part of the book takes place in the 90's so there are differences from how foster care works today (broken system then and in many ways now, but that's just me going ...more
Monica
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Edge of Belonging by Amanda Cox is a heart-touching debut novel. I will certainly be looking to read more books by this author.

When The Edge of Belonging begins, Ivy Rose is engaged to a controlling, abusive man--and then her grandma passes away. She ends up returning to her hometown to oversee her grandma's estate sale--and to find out more information about her adoption.

Twenty-four years earlier, we read about Harvey James who found a newborn baby that gave him a sense of purpose and human
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
What a heartfelt and emotional story about family and finding your true home!

It takes special talent to write a story that gracefully handles tough topics without making the book difficult to get through. Amanda Cox definitely has that talent. Even with the heartbreak these characters face, not once did I ever anticipate anything but hope for them. Nicely done!

The Edge of Belonging features vibrant characters that will absolutely wiggle their way into your heart! So – just who is keeping the t
Beth
The Edge of Belonging is a strong debut with powerful themes and endearing characters. Though it touches on heavier topics, such as infertility, homelessness, and grief, this story is never without hope. Cox infuses her narrative with characters that remind the reader to look for the helpers and the peacemakers, and that even they can be found in the unlikeliest of people.

My favorite aspect of the novel is the relationship between Pearl and Harvey, both hurting people in their own way, but Pearl
Melissa
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful. This story was truly beautiful. There is so much meaning and emotion in this story, it floors me. I am finding it hard to find the words to do this story justice in my review. Quite simply I adored the characters, the story, all of it. This may be Amanda's first book, but she writes like she has written many, many books. She has a new fan in me and I will NOT miss any future books by her. This one is destined for my keeper shelf.

I received this book as a member of the launch team and
Jypsy
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Revell for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

The Edge Of Belonging
By: Amanda Cox

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
The Edge of Belonging is a heartwarming tale of pieces and edges that form the framework of belonging and outline the origins of family. I have always been interested in stories involving people on the fringes of society, the invisible people. In 1994, Harvey is such a person, skirting the edges but not included, until an abandoned baby ch
Mimi
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want to start off by saying The Edge of Belonging left me incredibly satisfied and my heart feeling incredibly full. What. A. Story. I'm rather stingy on giving books five stars, but this one absolutely deserves it! I'm also beginning to believe that time-split novels need more room on my bookshelves.

The time is split between 1994 and present day. I couldn't decide which time period I kept wanting to read more! Thankfully the author gives us a great balance between both time periods. Believe i
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Cox is definitely going on my new favourite author list with her debut book, The Edge of Belonging. This inspirational dual-timeline story grabs you from the first page. It never lets go until well after you've finished reading it. I'm still thinking about it.

Harvey James is homeless and lives in a lean-to in the woods. He has spent his entire life depending on himself without ever genuinely knowing love of any kind. When he finds an abandoned baby near his home, he immediately decides to
Amanda
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As an adoptive mama I loved this split-timeline story about family, faith, and finding where you belong. Can’t wait to read more from this new author!
Libby May
I. Adore. This. Book.
The biggest point you'd have to take away from this review is that you need to read this book AS SOON as you can.
I think there is like maybe two or three books that I love as much as this one. It's crazy. Here's why.

#1. The characters. I love characters, you know that. If you've been following me for a short amount of time or a long amount of time, you know I love well built characters. I don't want this review to go on forever, so I'm just gonna do highlights.
Harvey was the
Rebekah M
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We all have a built in desire to love and be loved.
This beautiful story blew me away with how a group of strangers became a family. It showed me that love transcends so many things: status, lineage, even the way we perceive our own worth.
Pearl was such a sweet character and such an inspiration. Oh to be like her and serve the Lord by loving on others and helping them find Him!
I related so well to sweet Miriam, and the deep consuming sorrow she was drowning in. I rejoiced with her when God brou
Abby Breuklander
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love love and love this story!! What an incredible story of true love and family ties that know no bounds. Family is the circle of people who love and support you, whether related by blood or not. God puts each and every person into our lives for a reason. His love is the ultimate example, loving us even when we will never truly deserve it, yet He still calls us His children.
Dana Leet
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book honestly, was my favorite read of 2020. If you love Christian fiction, and you want to try a new author I pray that Amanda writes many many many many many more books. This book pulls at your heartstrings in so many directions. It makes you really want to meet these characters in reality. All I can say is make sure to keep lots of tissues near.
Andrea Cox
FTC Disclosure: I received a complimentary electronic copy of this book from Revell Reads. These are my honest thoughts.

Despite a single expletive, this book has soared onto my favorites list this year. This debut was fresh and different and deep. When I first saw the cover, I was blown away, but I wasn’t certain what to expect beneath it. Let me tell you, it wasn’t anything like I would have guessed.

The story began with a homeless man, and this was something I had never seen done before. This a
Emily
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copies
The Edge of Belonging is a Christian contemporary novel about finding family and belonging.

The Edge of Belonging was a good book. It’s about a young woman who struggles with knowing that she is adopted and who finds out the circumstances of her adoption. Part of the story is told in the present time, as Ivy Rose deals with a breakup and with her grandmother’s death and with learning more and more details about her past as a foundling. The other half of the story is told in flashbacks of what hap
Lucy
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Can I just say this book is waiting to bless you with an anointed story that will leave you breathless. What is love, what makes a family, how are the pieces of our lives connected. These are all questions that are intertwined into a masterpiece. The characters are lovable and relatable and it’s hard to pick a favorite. We are all part of Gods perfect plan and sometimes the slightest thing leads to puzzle pieces that connect to each other years down the road. I find it hard to describe what ...more
Rebecca
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
"There really are people who are alone in the world. People who have no one to look after them. . . . If the story of my life could say one thing, I'd hope it would show the importance of venturing into the highways and the hedges to let invisible people know they're seen and loved."

Harvey James was one of "those"people. Alone in the world, surviving on his own by remaining invisible. . . . until one day the cries of one who was even more vulnerable than he, sounded from the edge of bel
Cassie
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
“If the story of my life could say one thing, I’d hope it would show the importance of venturing into the highways and the hedges to let invisible people know they’re seen and loved. To invite them in.”

This novel starts when a homeless man finds a newborn baby abandoned on the side of the road and has to decide how to take care of her. It is a beautiful story of struggles, love, and discovering where we belong in the world. The story is compelling, the writing is poignant, and it broke my heart
Beverly Harvey
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! To say I loved this book is an understatement!! This book touched every emotion and once I started reading I knew I would not be able to put it down!!! A must read for everyone.
Katie Powner
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't cry often at books, but this one got me. The exploration of what really makes a family and the importance of discovering where you belong were beautifully done. ...more
Kelly-Ann ~ Sassy Bookish Mama
Wow, wow, wow!! I cannot believe this is Amanda Cox's debut book! This author truly tugs at ALL of your emotions. It was excellent. I absolutely have become a time-slip junkie so this book was right up my alley and she does both timeline so incredibly well. I didn't know which timeline I wanted to stay in more because they were equally captivating.

In this story we meet some amazing main characters but four really stood out to me. Ivy is really the main one and whom the story is about centers on
Kimmie
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews, a2020
"The Edge of Belonging" by Amanda Cox is a wonderful, heartfelt story about the true meaning of love and family. It's told in two timelines: present day, in which main character Ivy returns home to clear out her deceased grandmother's house, and twenty+ years earlier, when Ivy was an infant. Both timelines were amazingly well-written, and I very much enjoyed reading both of them and trying to anticipate how they would eventually come together.

All of the major characters (Ivy, Harvey, Pearl, and
Christian Books -...: Giveaway 1 5 Aug 26, 2020 09:41AM

• The Love Note
  • Nine
  • The Key to Love
  • Something Worth Doing
  • The Escape (US Marshals, #1)
  • Burden of Proof
  • The Sowing Season
  • All That We Carried
  • Nothing Short of Wondrous (American Wonders #2)
  • Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus
  • Until I Met You (Restoring Heritage, #2)
  • The Dress Shop on King Street (Heirloom Secrets, #1)
  • The Red Ribbon (True Colors)
  • A Life Once Dreamed
  • Things We Didn't Say
  • The Right Kind of Fool
  • The Librarian of Boone's Hollow
Amanda Cox is a blogger and a curriculum developer for a national nonprofit youth leadership organization, but her first love is communicating through story. She holds a bachelor's degree in Bible and theology and a master's degree in professional counseling. Her studies and her interactions with hurting families over a decade have allowed her to create multidimensional characters that connect emo ...more

News & Interviews

“She’d memorized the verse about peace that passes all understanding, but all she felt was the weight of depression.” 1 likes
“You find a use for everything. Yet you discard yourself at every opportunity.” 0 likes