Start by marking “Summoned (From Smokeless Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summoned (From Smokeless Fire, #1)

Summoned

(From Smokeless Fire #1)

The wrong jinn at the right time, Zahara’s a force to be reckless with

Published September 24th 2019 by Tule Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Summoned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summoned

Start your review of Summoned (From Smokeless Fire, #1)
K. J. Harrowick
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Why I picked up this book:
I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review. Okay, let's be super honest . . . I adore M. A. Guglielmo and I was lucky enough to read an early draft of this story years ago. So when I found out the ARC was ready, I was all grabby hands to read Zahara's story again. She's the type of character you both want to cuddle and punch in the throat.

This review may contain spoilers.

What I loved:
Zahara is by far my favorite character. Constantly obsessed
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

The beautiful cover and blurb caught my interest from the get-go and I immediately grab it. The beginning chapters were funny, wellpaced and showcased the blossoming friendship between Daniel and Zahara . As the story progress and additional characters were added, my interest in the read started to diminish. It wasn't bad enough to drop and I'm not gonna lie I did end up skimming through a few pages/chapters at the 3/4 mark and overall can understand why some readers were be draw
Lola
I received a free copy from the publisher through Netgalley and voluntarily reviewed it.

When I saw that cover and read the blurb I knew I had to read this one. I loved the sound of it and I was happy when I got approved on Netgalley and started reading the book shortly after. I think the world the author has created in this series is very well done and I really liked the set-up and parts of the plot, but sadly it failed to entertain me as completely as I had hoped.

The start of this book was bril
Jessica
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Upper YA and mature readers will enjoy this supernatural wild ride as one human and two jinn race to save the world from fallen angels with questionable motives. This was a quick, fun read full of sarcasm-laced dialog and humorously inappropriate antics.

#Summoned #NetGalley - I voluntarily read a Review Copy of this book. All opinions stated are solely my own and no one else’s. Read more reviews! http://dreamerjbookreviews.blogspot.com
Natalia I
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two jinns, a human and a fallen angel, lots of magic and adventures around the world. What a good experience was to read this book.

I really need to thank Netgalley and Tule Publishing for the opportunity to read this book. I can’t wait to read the next part.
Natalia I
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Delaney
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-urbanfantasy
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Zahara, party girl of the paranormal, floats up out of a lamp in Daniel Goldstein‘s apartment ready to trick a sorcerer into giving up his soul. But Daniel, whose Moroccan grandmother has reached out from beyond the grave to command him to raise a jinn, wants to do good—by stopping a vengeful fallen angel.

This book's premise is great, and the first few chapters hold up very well. It's also one of the only parano
Suanne
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
M.A. Guglielmo’s debut novel, Summoned, is a light-hearted, fun read which should appeal to older YA readers. Daniel Goldstein, a Jewish gaming designer, is told by his grandmother’s ghost to summon a jinn to save the world from fallen angels. He ends up with a supernatural party girl. Zahara, who introduces him to her friend, Zaid. The three combine forces to battle the angels. The dialogue is zippy and laced with sarcasm. It was enjoyable to read a paranormal book with new-to-me Middle Eastern ...more
Brandy
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a bit to get into (there’s a heck of a lot going on), but once I got engaged there was no going back. Zahara was fascinating and her demon form....terrifying!! I really liked Daniel tho, a good guy trying to do the right thing. Overall it was really interesting and I can’t wait for the next one!
Natalee Cooper
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I absolutely enjoyed the settings in this book as it took me on a ride to places unfamiliar to me. The characters each had distinct personalities, and I liked the way they played off each other as their relationships grew. The author also did a great job of touching on their different worlds in a natural way, helping to submerge the reader which was cool!
Zara Raheem
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t typically read paranormal fantasies, but this was a fun read! The story was fast-paced and adventurous. I loved the relationships between Zahara, Daniel, and Zaid. I appreciated the author’s incorporation of Middle Eastern mythology as well as the evocative setting and descriptions. This is a book I think readers of any genre would enjoy!
Annarella
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting, entertaining and engrossing start for a new series.
I liked the cast of characters, the world building and the plot.
Recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Kay Mcleer
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good first chapter in the series, the characters are well-developed and I enjoyed the plot itself. Overall this was a really good read and I'd recommend this to fans looking for a good fantasy novel.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
3 1/2 stars.

I received a copy of Summoned through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Summoned is the debut novel of M.A. Guglielmo, and it is a memorable one. Fans looking for a slightly different take on jinn should check out Zahara's tale, as it's one they'll find themselves enjoying greatly.
Two completely different characters have been forced into a contract with one another, all with the hopes of stopping a fallen angel from wreaking revenge on the world. Oh, and did we m
Iren
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A 4*

Caution, mild spoilers ahead

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions included in this review are my own and are in no way affected by the exchange.

I stumbled upon this book on NetGalley while searching for a fresh fantasy novel that would take me on a new adventure. And after closing the book, I do not feel disappointed with my choice.

Summoned takes you on an incredible adventure in distant lands of our world, lands that
Rizwan
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmm, on the one hand, this isn't really my preferred niche of fantasy, but this was a fun read if you don't come in expecting high literature. Fans of the particular genre will not be disappointed.

I should be a little more circumspect with my choices. I picked this up thinking it was urban fantasy with djinns and angels, and while that is true, this leans strongly on the paranormal romance side of things. Nothing tragic, rather lots of funny quips and wordplay. And very inclusive in terms of rep
Beth
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an okay YA story written very simply. I really wanted to like this because the premise was interesting. Unfortunately, I didn't really like the characters very much. Zahara is an annoying party girl/djin with little substance. She says she's evil but we don't really see it. Daniel is a clueless and naive kid dragged into a conflict by his dead grandmother. He is tasked with stopping two fallen angels from destroying the world. Bubbe, as the grandmother is annoyingly called, died over a y ...more
Paula
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like a man who listens to his grandmother! Summoned has Daniel who is as Zahara calls him “a do-gooder” and a great grandson to boot. I was so pleasantly surprised to read Summoned by M.A. Guglielmo. I wasn’t sure if it would take a comic book approach in the plot but stayed true to paranormal/fantasy.

Without a doubt, Summoned has an original story-line of good verses evil with unique characters that are interesting, far from perfect but are still likable. The beginning of the story is captiva
Leslie
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Interesting premise. Description was what drew me in. The actual story was a little flat. Zahara is written like every "party girl" cliché wrapped into one person. Daniel's so ignorant of how to interact with the jinn and what a contract means. It doesn't stop to ask questions about what the contract means. If Zahara wasn't written as such a bubble head and Daniel took the whole thing a little more serious.. And what was Zaid's roll again?
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
An interesting start to a new series, I enjoyed the cast of characters and the world building, I think it does need a little work and it would be so much more, it lost me a few times, but it was worth persevering, I think a little work and this could be a fabulous series, I will still look forward to the next.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Noelle Salazar
Jul 10, 2019
M.A. Guglielmo
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Billy Coley
Mar 04, 2020
Wendy Trimboli
Sep 15, 2019
Meerkatmarcato
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2020
Ashley B
Sep 11, 2019
Mia
Sep 14, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Amazon and other links not working 17 259 Jul 26, 2019 07:14PM

• The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • The Flight Girls
  • Separation Anxiety
  • When the Nines Roll Over and Other Stories
  • To Kill a Fae (The Dragon Portal Book 1)
  • Strangers She Knows (Cape Charade, #3)
  • Love Is a Mix Tape
  • Speak the Ocean
  • Nowhere Near Goodbye
  • All I Ever Wanted: A Rock 'n' Roll Memoir
  • The Shape of Night
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • A Longer Fall (Gunnie Rose, #2)
  • Squeeze Me (Skink #8)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Courting Darkness (The Magicsmith, #2)
  • The Exit Strategy
  • Faerie Forged (The Magicsmith, #3)

M.A. Guglielmo is a neurosurgeon, mother of two awesome daughters, and a life-long fan of speculative fiction. Her Italian grandmother may or may not have been able to cast the evil eye on difficult neighbors, and Maria loves telling a good story, especially if magical curses and witty villains are involved.
Her interest in Middle Eastern politics and culture

From Smokeless Fire (2 books)
  • Soul to Steal (From Smokeless Fire, #2)