Start by marking “Little Women” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Little Women

(Little Women #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,581,998 ratings  ·  26,686 reviews
The March girls, Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy, are growing up in New England during the Civil War. Times are difficult, but the bond between the four sisters is strong and their courage and love help them overcome adversity.
Published April 1st 2008 by Turtleback Books (first published September 30th 1868)

To ask other readers questions about Little Women, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Book lover
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kari Ann Although it was originally written to appeal to girls of all ages, times have changed. Children in our generation don't value this novel the same way…moreAlthough it was originally written to appeal to girls of all ages, times have changed. Children in our generation don't value this novel the same way children did back in the late 19th century. I don't think this is a suitable read for a nine year old. The Little House on the Prairie series is pretty similar and has been proven to be more successful with children (in my experience, at least!) You might have more luck with those books :)(less)

·  1,581,998 ratings  ·  26,686 reviews

Start your review of Little Women
Susan
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Someone I know claimed this no longer has value, that she would never recommend it because it's saccharine, has a religious agenda, and sends a bad message to girls that they should all be little domestic homebodies. I say she's wrong on all counts. This is high on my reread list along with Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, and a Tree Grows in Brooklyn--you could say that I'm pretty familiar with it.

Let's see--there's a heroine who not only writes, but is proud of the fact and makes a profit from
Fabian
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, yes. I AM a grown-ass man reading this, but I'm not ashamed. I also read the "Twilight" "saga" & a bunch of Charlaine Harris as well, remember? Even 50 shades. So... some rules simply do not apply.

What I tried to do here was dispel the extra melodrama & embrace the cut-outs (fat trimmed out) of the Winona Ryder film. I was on the hunt for all the "new" (ha!) stuff that the regular person, well informed of the plot involving four young girls growing up (or in the case of Beth, not)
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
A new movie is coming out December 25th...

I've never read it so I might have to do a readalong for it that month!
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description

Don't try to make me grow up before my time
The March sisters may be radically different but they all have one thing in common - love.

Their love for their mother and father, their love for adventure and for each other unites them in this troubled time.

The Civil War is afoot and all the sisters can do is think about their father away and in battle. Their mother tries to distract them but often she can barely distract herself.

Jo, a radical tomboy and aspiring author - rallies her family with
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book means SISTERHOOD... FAMILY HAPPINESSTOGETHERNESS THANKFULNESS GENUINENESSSOLIDARITYBELIEFS RESPECTUNCONDITIONAL LOVEHONESTYKINDNESS

This is magical book, when I get into my hands for the first time, I was only eleven and for decades I kept on getting it into my hands, reread it several times and same words resonated different for me, awoke different feelings, made me look at the characters flaws and differences at brand new perspective.
Even though I know the ending: I laughed, I cried,
emma
IM IN LOVE, IM IN LOVE, AND I DONT CARE WHO KNOWS IT!

When I was a child, my mother used to drag me to antique stores all the time. There is nothing more boring to a kid than an antique store. It smelled like dust and old people, and everything looked the same (dark wood), and if we were in a particularly bauble-heavy shop I had to clasp my hands behind my back like a Von Trapp child in order to avoid invoking the you-break-it-you-buy-it policy on a $42 crystal ashtray.

On one such excursion, when
Rory
Jul 30, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
jessica
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
that feeling when you spend the majority of the book desperately longing to be a jo, but then end up realising youre actually just a beth :/

also, the fact that i still like laurie, even after he messes around in france trying to find himself, says a lot more about me than it does about him, to be fair.

and dont even get me started on the new film coming out. the casting definitely has me feeling some kind of way. im still not over the precision of timothée chalamet as laurie, the literary
Corrie
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book begins:

"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents, grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.

It's so dreadful to be poor! sighed Meg, looking down at her old dress.

I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls nothing at all, added little Amy, with an injured sniff.

We've got Father and Mother, and each other, said Beth contentedly from her corner."

There's an undercurrent of anger in this book and I think Louisa May Alcott would have gone much
Emily May
Dec 04, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never liked this one. I read Alcott back around the time I was first reading the Brontes and Dickens, and her books always struck me as incredibly dull in comparison. I was probably about 12, though, so I suppose I should try it again someday.
Angela M
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This classic that so many have loved over the years, many having read it as young girls, is somehow one that I never read until now. Its a lovely story, and I wonder how I would have felt about it, had I read it when I was younger. Like so many readers, Jo, the lover of books, the writer, is my favorite, a woman before her time, exhibiting independence and a desire for more in her life. Its a coming of age story in so many ways as we see Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy develop over the years, each ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have owned this book forever! I have the movie and have always loved it. Thanks to several group challenges on here, I have finally gotten to this little gem.

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Ahmad Sharabiani
863. Little Women (Little Women #1), Louisa May Alcott
Little Women is a novel by American author Louisa May Alcott (18321888), which was originally published in two volumes in 1868 and 1869. Alcott wrote the books over several months at the request of her publisher. Following the lives of the four March sistersMeg, Jo, Beth and Amythe novel details their passage from childhood to womanhood and is loosely based on the author and her three sisters.
زنان کوچک - لوئییز می آلکوت (قدیانی) ادبیات سده
Ruby Granger
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: convenience
I decided to re-read Little Women after watching the new film and am so glad that I did! I enjoyed this book when I first read it at 12, but truly LOVED it this time. The growth and progression of the sisters is wonderful, and the moral lessons infused in Alcott's writing make it a must-read children's classic.
Justin Tate
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relentlessly captivating story of sisters doing it for themselves. Alcott is a master of character, pacing, and creating page-turning suspense within a context of moderately low stakes. I admire everything about her, from her writing talent to her personal life as an abolitionist and feminist. Much of her personal advocacy makes it into the pages of Little Women. Sometimes in subtle ways, and sometimes not. I'm glad to see that the new movie appears to spotlight the feminist undertones because ...more
Candi
"I dont believe fine young ladies enjoy themselves a bit more than we do, in spite of our burnt hair, old gowns, one glove apiece, and tight slippers, that sprain our ankles when we are silly enough to wear them." Jo March

Whether you like this book or not, I doubt there are many that would deny that Jo March is the star of this mid-nineteenth century novel about the March family. In many ways, because of this remarkably self-assured heroine, Little Women seemed to me much ahead of its time.
Kylie D
A timeless classic that I enjoyed just as much now as I did when I first read it at school.
Gabby
I finally read Little Women! Jo is one of the most relatable characters of all time for me. I feel like this book came into my life at the perfect time. Heres a reading vlog of my experience reading this: https://youtu.be/MkzZAxk4MLQ ...more
leslie hamod
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book portraying a poor family in early and post civil war one. Each character is flawed and experiences a differing view of life. We watch them grow, leave home and die. Life without a father is regrettable and enthralling.
Thoroughly enjoyable and educational. We learn through the eyes of the characters. Choices are not easy, regret is ever present. Vocabulary intensively studied gives the reader a view of the times. The times are of course difficult.
This is perfection in a classic,
Shovelmonkey1
May 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, seriously.
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: My mum and the 1001 books list
To me this book is just a big neon highlighted literary exclamation mark defining how incredibly different I am from my mother. She loves this book. Really, really loves it....a lot. She always used to tell me how great she thought it was although, as a kid I somehow avoided reading it; mainly because at this point I was too busy dangling from a climbing frame by my ankles or stealing scrap wood from building sites in order to make dens and tree houses.

As it is prominently placed on the 1001
Cecily
I was given this more than 30 years ago, and it never appealed, but I gave it a go when it was selected by my book group in 2009.

As most people know, it's Louisa May Alcott's semi-autobiographical account of four teenage sisters growing up in slight poverty, while their father is away at war.

The opening words alerted me to the tone:
"'Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without any presents'... 'I don't think it's fair for some girls to have plenty of pretty things, and other girls to have nothing
Zoë
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2017 update: I reread this as it was the Austentatious book for June and July! I didn't love it as much as I did the first time I read it, but I am glad I got to revisit the story. (Also, this time I Amy was my favorite character?)

Book 12/100 for 2015
I had to read this book for my Children's Lit class and I loved it! We've done a lot of discussion which has really opened my mind to new things in the book and made me love it even more. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to get
Dottie
My copy of this is probably 55 years old -- I've probably read it at least twenty-five times. One of my all-time favorite books. One of my favorite authors ever. Yes, it is old-fashioned -- it was old-fashioned fifty-five years ago. But that is the point pretty much in my opinion. This is a story of times past, of a family which functioned in a particular way in a particular time. This is also a story of what one person in a family might have wished were so all of the time in the family but ...more
may ❀
i've never witnessed a ship of mine get sunk so tragically, how dare you ms. alcott (ง _)ง

RTC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

probably the first classic that i'm //choosing// to read so let's hope this goes well bc it'll probs determine whether i keep this charade up or not :))

Buddy read with ma girl, t swizzle
Lisa
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents", grumbled Jo..."

I was under the impression that I had missed Little Women in my youth and that it was one of those gaps in my education that keep nagging me. Then I started reading it, and realised that I know all characters, and the story, and the feeling of the novel as a whole. So either I have developed a psychic connection to my "to-read"-shelf, or I have actually NOT missed out on Little Women in my adolescence, just forgotten the
Duane
I have read 18 of Louisa May Alcott's books, so I guess I can safely say that I am very familiar with her work. Some of them were very good, some not quite as good. All had that 19th century down home feeling with wonderful, memorable characters. But only one of her novels reached the level of what could be called literary greatness. Somehow, with this simple story, and these adorable characters, with a heart warming and heart wrenching plot, Alcott creates an American classic, her masterpiece. ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

The one thing I'm not going to do is apologise for not liking this. I hold no truck with that: stop apologising for having an opinion that is different to the majority.

Little Women was relatively written well in the grammatically correct sense, but I found it to be a very slow and dull read. It is definitely of its time and even though there are small points of seeing the necessity of having strong,
K.
Look, I'm going to be brutally honest here: I read this when I was about 10 and I quite enjoyed it. But reading it at the age of 33? OH MY GOD, THIS WAS THE MOST SACCHARINE SWEET, INTOLERABLE TWADDLE I'VE EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF READING.

All four of the girls are so ridiculously perfect that even when they make the tiny little mistakes that are painted as monumental fuck ups in the book, they're instantly fixed with a sweet smile or a sermon from their mother about women needing to control
AMEERA
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i can tell this become my favorite classic book besides all classics books of the queen of classics books Jane Austin , and u can see a lot of classic word here :D

• Jane Eyre
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Wuthering Heights
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Sense and Sensibility
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • Emma
  • The Great Gatsby
  • The Secret Garden
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Persuasion
  • The Little Prince
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • The Help
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Great Expectations
As A.M. Barnard:
Behind a Mask, or a Woman's Power (1866)
The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation (1867)
A Long Fatal Love Chase (1866 first published 1995)
First published anonymously:
A Modern Mephistopheles (1877)

Louisa May Alcott was born in Germantown, Pennsylvania on November 29, 1832. She and her three sisters, Anna, Elizabeth and May were educated by their father, philosopher/

Little Women (3 books)