Start by marking “Backlash (Capital Intrigue, #2)” as Want to Read:
Backlash (Capital Intrigue, #2)

Backlash

(Capital Intrigue #2)

CIA analyst Layla Karam is thrust into a dangerous DEA field operation against a cartel that puts a target on her back. Though Layla never wanted to be a field agent, Langley had other ideas. After one of her team members is murdered because of fallout from the op, Layla is left scrambling to find safety.

At the same time, the CIA opens up an internal investigation against
Published October 6th 2020 by Bethany House Publishers (first published October 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Backlash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backlash

Start your review of Backlash (Capital Intrigue, #2)
Nicole
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on Diversity Between the Pages and Inkwell Inspirations

“You have the perfect motive for murder.”

With intense action and incredible plot twists, Backlash is a fascinating tale of deception, friendship, and discovering a second chance at romance. In the second installment of author Rachel Dylan’s Capital Intrigue series, she once again delivers a perfect blend of romance and suspense to keep my romance-loving heart happy, and of course, another fabulous hero in Hunter McCoy.

After
Brittany
Backlash was such a great story! It was hard to know who to trust in this tale of intrigue. I really enjoyed the multiple stories going on throughout the novel. Of course, Layla and Hunter’s backstory of love and betrayal was captivating. I enjoyed watching them work together even as the events from the past that broke them up were constantly on their minds.

The story line that followed Zane and Cass was also related to the accusations and danger that Layla found herself embroiled in and added ev
Cara Putman
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
In this second book in the Capital Intrigue series, Rachel Dylan takes her readers back to DC. This time Layla Karam is under attack and under investigation. Then her former love steps back into her life adding a layer of complication she really doesn't need -- though it forces her to fully confront the pain of his earlier betrayal. They have to work together to figure out who is causing the attacks and who is behind the investigation. Add in subplots from other characters' perspectives, and it' ...more
Lori Jorgensen
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the second in the Capital Intrigue series. Wow!! Dylan knows how to keep you guessing all the way to the end. I seriously enjoy these books. I’m not usually a suspense reader but these books are so enjoyable I can’t stay away!!
Dana Michael
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a ride! Backlash by Rachel Dylan is the second book in the Capital Intrigue series. This book features Layla who is a CIA analyst and sometimes operative and her romantic interest Luke. He is her former boyfriend and he is tasked with being her lawyer and private investigator. This book has so many things going on that you have to pay attention. I really didn't know who for sure the bad guy was until the end. If you like page turning action with some romance, then you will love this book.
Susan Snodgrass
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rachel Dylan has very correctly named her series Capitol Intrigue. She once again delivers quite good suspense with intrigue, including some twists that will take the reader by surprise. Dylan knows exactly what she is doing in writing novels so full of suspense that the reader is completely caught up in everything taking place. Recommended.

*My thanks to Bethany House Publishing for a copy of this book via Net Galley. The opinion here is my own.
Rebecca
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
"I can't help but think trouble followed us home from Honduras."

Trouble did follow CIA analyst Layla Karam home from Honduras. . . . .her team members are being strategically stalked and in one case, murdered. Ironically, her trip to South America was a DEA mission that Layla had been pulled into, "on loan" from one department to another, so to speak. Evidently a high ranking cartel member had been taken out and the team's identity severely compromised; the obvious question being "how"?

Adding t
Jeanie
I loved this fabulous, edge-of-the-seat thriller!! Second in the Capital Intrigue series, I was very happy to see these Christian friends who work in the CIA, FBI, State Department, and NCIS that we met in End Game, the first explosive novel in the series. The characters are realistic, likable, and well defined. The mystery is incredible and the whodunit was not anyone I would have anticipated. Stunning and intense, it will keep one up late at night turning pages.

Layla, Vivian, and Bailey were l
Kara
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another Dylan book that had me turning pages WAY past my bedtime! Even though the cover had my full attention, it was slightly misleading. Those are statues in the background, not people, at Union Station. I briefly thought there were four figures hunting Layla down the way the cover is shown, not so.

I think I understand why the dialogue is written in such a formal manner, these characters each have a top notch education, even the bad guys, so their conversations are more solid than I'm accustom
Erin Laramore
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for this second installment in the Capital Intrigue series. This book could easily stand alone as there is enough history provided that you're not missing anything if you haven't read book 1 (End Game), but if you plan to read them all, I would recommend reading them in order for the most enjoyment. This book follows Layla Karam, a CIA Analyst who is being pushed to be an operative. After returning from an op with the DEA, Layla's world is turned upside down as she and her team are tar ...more
MJSH
What an adrenaline-filled, intensely engaging thrill ride! Rachel Dylan is a master at weaving romantic suspense tales with non-stop action, relatable and lovable characters, and a complex plot with quite a few surprises. Backlash is book 2 in Capital Intrigue series and it can be read as a stand-alone but reading the series in order will help keep the relatively large crew of main characters straight and help in understanding a subplot that is a continuation from the first book.

The main plot de
Kailey
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Rachel Dylan. I really enjoyed it! I know that this is book 2 in this series and I read it as a stand-alone. I didn’t feel like I was missing too much since there was a good bit of detail to fill me in. But I do want to go back and read the first book to help better understand it. I really liked all of the details that were in this book. You can tell that the author really knows her stuff! I enjoyed trying to get to the bottom of the investigations in this one.

I receiv
Best In Suspense - Kelly Underwood
Backlash is intense. Someone is out to get CIA analyst Layla Karam. It could be a drug cartel from her recent field operation. Or maybe someone in the CIA is framing her. After several attempts on her life, Layla seeks help from her ex-boyfriend and private investigator Hunter McCoy. They try to sort through the puzzle pieces to get the full picture of who wants Layla and several others from their team dead. Of course, romance and danger always seem to go hand in hand!

I loved End Game, and some
Elizabeth
Aug 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Backlash ( Capital Intrigue #2 )
By: Rachel Dylan
Backlash is book two in the series Capital Intrigue. Dylan has did it again, another action packed , suspense, and some romance. I was hooked at the start and did not want to put it down. There are twist and turns all through the book that will keep you holding on.
I was given a complimentary copy of this book by Bethany House Publishers and NetGalley. All opinions are my own.
Mimi
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the FIRST page... sit down and buckle up because wooo boy are you going for a ride! Also, be prepared for some fingernail biting. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Do you ever set out with the intention to figure out "who done it" while you're reading the book. I typically dive in, just trying to enjoy the story, but the more I read suspense novels, the more I want to see if I can deduce who the bad guy is. lol

Well, Rachel has enough characters in Backlash to keep you guessing. I pretty much gues
Joan
Oct 17, 2020 rated it liked it
The emphasis in this novel is character relationships more than suspense. Many of the characters are from the first book in the series. This plot concentrates on Layla, a CIA Agent and Izzy, an NCIS Agent. Both women come under investigation and must defend themselves to save their careers. Layla is being accused of being a double agent and Izzy is a suspect in the murder of a colleague who assaulted her when she was in the police department. There is some sporadic suspense as the leader of a ca ...more
Andi
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2020
Fantastic second book in the Capital Intrigue series!

Rachel Dylan uses her knowledge and research skills as a lawyer to create a suspense filled, action packed second installment of her Capital Intrigue series.

As is with all series I love that I am reunited with characters from the previous book and introduced to new characters. Which is fun!

The pacing is perfect. Sometimes with suspense novels the author might speed up things but Rachel Dylan doesn't do that. She keeps the action, twists and t
Jeanne Alfveby Crea
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Best quote of the book: "You have the perfect motive for murder"!
Loved Layla and Hunter's story of heartbreak & forgiveness while trying to solve unfathomable charges against Layla at the same time dodging bullets and fleeing from drug cartel hitmen. The author's signature storytelling with twists and turns and unexpected events leaves me continually guessing until the very end. This story has plenty of intrigue as the characters from the CIA and DEA, as well as local law enforcement, kept me tu
Jen. (JenGalaxy4 Christian Book Reviews)
Get ready for a fast-paced read filled with romance, shocking surprises, deception… and betrayal.

I happily recommend this book to fans of romantic suspense novels with a very strong Christian worldview! Layla shares her faith across the pages of this story, showing that one should always hope in the Lord, no matter the trials they’re facing.

Backlash is available now! Visit Baker Book House or Christian Book to purchase your copy! Don’t forget to pick up a copy of End Game, too, while you’re
Lori
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dylan certainly knows what she's doing with a series like this!
It's been such an exciting series so far and I'm loving it!
I love learning about the many different agencies that protects our country. I never knew there were so many!
I'm like another reader tho. I would have loved some more insight on the three friends ' friendship. I would have liked to have seen how they met ect.
I did love Layla and Hunter. I feel like I've l known them for a long time. Have you ever met someone and few like y
Vickie
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Backlash” is the second book in Rachel Dylan’s Capital Intrigue series, but it can definitely be read as a standalone. This is the story of Layla Karam, a dedicated CIA analyst who was chosen to go on a DEA op to Honduras. That is where her problems began because now one of her team members is dead and she is a definite target herself. Her ex-boyfriend Hunter McCoy is tasked with keeping her safe, but that is no small job since the cartel seems to constantly be one step ahead of them. Hunter an ...more
Jerrye Bell
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Backlash by Rachel Dylan

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

____________________________________________________________

Story Notes

Rachel Dylan brings readers the second in her Capital Intrigue series that deals with the fall out from a supposedly perfect op that caused more waves that expected for those involved.

There is so much that can be learned about the inner workings of government-sanctioned law enforcement and this book provided a good look at two agencies, DEA and FBI. Often they are enlisted to wo
Hanne T
TW: sexual assault, death

I enjoyed this book! After reading End Game, the first book in the series, I wasn't super excited about this book, since while I did enjoy it, it was very dense and terminology heavy. However, this one was pretty fun to read! I'm not sure if I'm just more used to the writing style/familiar with the characters or if this one really did just read smoother, but this one is in my opinion, much easier to read and follow.

Something that I find really interesting about Rachel Dy
Paty
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book from Rachel Dylan and I’m hooked! I couldn’t put this book down!
I’m definitely going to be following her and reading her previous books! It’s always great to discover a new author you love and discover you have yet to read more of her books without waiting for a new one to be published!
This series involves four good friends: Layla, Vivian, Bailey and Izzy. This is Layla’s stories, although we also get a glimpse of part of Izzie’s story too. I love it when the heroine has go
Anita Ojeda
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
CIA analyst Layla Karam loves her job as an analyst. She finds connections and solves puzzles using her unique skill sets of languages and cultural knowledge. But someone wants her to get field experience—which means leaving the safety of her desk. It also means learning how to fight and shoot—skills Layla never thought she’d need in an analyst’s position.

She joins a joint operation with the DEA against a dangerous drug cartel, and the mission goes off without a hitch. But then someone starts th
Pam Graber
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Danger lurks at every turn for CIA analyst Layla Karam. Forced by the head honchos at Langley from her desk comfort zone into a joint field op with the DEA in Honduras, Layla returns home to discover that members of her team are being targeted. When her boss brings in outside help to independently investigate, she is stunned to recognize her ex-boyfriend, Hunter McCoy. Can she see past her anger with him to the man who just wants to protect her, and maybe earn a second chance?

As her friends, Ca
Elizabeth Fiscus
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First of all, let me say kudos to Rachel Dylan for writing a book brimming with characters and suspense! With all that went on during the book, it could have been easy to lose the reader, but Rachel painted the pictures of the story so well with her words that I had no trouble following the different storylines that occurred.

The main characters are Layla and Hunter. They were college sweethearts until Hunter cheated on her. Layla never wanted to deal with seeing him again, but they were brought
BernieK
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Dylan has done it once again with the second book in her Capitol Intrigue series, Backlash! I have the privilege of reading this suspense filled book and I was not disappointed.

In this second book, we get to know more about Layla Karam, a CIA analyst. After being recruited by the CIA out of law school - Layla’s desire was to be behind the scenes. She was content with her role in the background, analyzing data and supporting operatives in the field.

Her skills do not go unnoticed and she is
Gretchen M.
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"I can't help but think trouble followed us home from Honduras."

This quote by minor character DEA Agent Cass proves to be true at many levels in the second book in the Capital Intrigue series by Rachel Dylan. What resulted from several days in Central America certainly caused "Backlash." But this title was multi-layered and involved much more than this one incident.

Layla is the main character who is a CIA analyst on loan to the DEA for certain situations. Few of her friends know that she is actu
Amy Bradsher
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rachel Dylan stirs together an alphabet soup of government agencies with heart-pounding suspense to create an unforgettable story of betrayal, forgiveness, and intrigue with her latest book Backlash. Fans of NCIS won’t want to miss this one!

While the main character doesn’t work for that particular agency, it is in the mix, as well as many others. I found it a bit complicated at first as I tried to keep each character matched with their proper places of employment, but soon the action takes over
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Point of Danger (Triple Threat, #1)
  • The Price of Valor (Global Search and Rescue, #3)
  • Two Reasons to Run (Pelican Harbor #2)
  • The Crushing Depths (Coastal Guardians, #2)
  • The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • Acceptable Risk (Danger Never Sleeps, #2)
  • The Escape (US Marshals, #1)
  • Don't Keep Silent (Uncommon Justice, #3)
  • Everywhere to Hide
  • Autumn Skies (Bluebell Inn Romance #3)
  • The Red Ribbon (True Colors Book 8)
  • Nine
  • Minutes to Die (Homeland Heroes, #2)
  • Her Secret Song (Brides of Hope Mountain, #3)
  • Airborne
  • The Kissing Tree: Four Novellas Rooted in Timeless Love
  • Until I Met You (Restoring Heritage, #2)
Rachel Dylan is an award-winning and bestselling author of legal thrillers and romantic suspense. Rachel has practiced law for over a decade including being a litigator at one of the nation's top law firms. She enjoys weaving together legal and suspenseful stories. Rachel writes the Atlanta Justice Series which features strong, female attorneys in Atlanta. Deadly Proof, the first book in the Atlan ...more

Capital Intrigue (3 books)
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • Power Play (Capital Intrigue, #3)