Start by marking “Any Good Thing” as Want to Read:
Any Good Thing

Any Good Thing

Witness a young man's battles of mind, heart and soul and follow his coming-of-age journey from selfishness to true sacrifice and from recklessness toward redemption in this contemporary southern fiction novel meant to reside on your heart's bookshelves.

Jack Calhoun recovers from one tragedy and its consequential addiction enough to glimpse a shimmer of hope for his future
Published September 24th 2019 by Logos & Mythos Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Any Good Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Any Good Thing

Start your review of Any Good Thing
Eric Demmer
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The publisher asked me to beta read Any Good Thing and provided me a near-final copy in order to provide my honest feedback to them. I am normally not a reader of Southern Fiction so reading this genre was a bit out of my comfort zone. However, I am so glad I did.

Several times while reading Any Good Thing I resented Joy Rancatore for what she did to her Protagonist, Jack Calhoun. The story was captivating from beginning to end and lead the reader on a journey with Jack through an emotional, phy
Oscar Shoemaker
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Any Good Thing” by Joy E Rancatore is a warm, heart-filled journey of particular lives in the South during a difficult period in history. The story provides great characters where relationships build and fall -and the young man’s life takes the reader through highs and lows, twists and turns. It’s written with care and emotion to take the reader directly to the moment in the story. If interested in story-telling fiction with characters of depth, courage, emotion and realistic timely situation, ...more
Carol Baldwin
The book dramatically opens with 15-year-old Jack Calhoun's life permanently altered: a teenage drag race ends in death and disaster. From that point onward, Jack shoulders the guilt of four deaths--compounded later by two other deaths for which he takes responsibility.

In the first chapter the reader meets Jack's girlfriend, Rachel Burns, her father Ben, and Jack's mother, Becky; the three people who are his trinity of support as Jack wrestles with demons from his past.

Jack's father abandoned
Meagan Smith
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading Any Good Thing was a journey for me as much as it was for Jack (the main character). I felt his internal struggle from the first chapter to the last. This book reminded me of why I love the South while also providing gentle (and not-so-gentle) nudges to build relationships on truth rather than break ties with assumptions. Other thematic elements fleshed out through Jack's road of trials were self-forgiveness, redemption, recovery, and persistence. I'm having trouble not writing spoilers, ...more
Sandy
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an emotional roller coaster! And just like real ones for me, there is the very real sense in this book when the end draws near that you can’t wait to ride again...or in the case of the book, you want to know more and continue the journey. The carefully crafted and well developed characters feel like family. The storyline is built upon real life joys and challenges and the center of it all is the ever present call of Christ. A beautiful story I literally could not put down! Highly recommend!
Christy Decker
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Joy writes so beautifully it is easy to get lost in her words. ESPECIALLY during the current climate of this crazy world I feel like this is a great read. Everyone needs reminders that no matter what we do, no matter how many mistakes we make - we are never beyond Christ's reach. No one is beyond the power of His love and redemption. Really good book and really great job by the author.
Valicity Garris
An Emotional and Encouraging Journey for Christians and Secular Readers Alike

This is a book that deeply explores dark psychological concepts—things like depression, PTSD, and other mental and emotional struggles. This may sound morbid, but I actually found these components to be the best points made in the story. Maybe its because I have a Bachelor’s in psychology, or because I appreciate a well written contemporary that does more than present a really sad story or a really emotional romance. D
Karl
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My wife handed me "Any Good Thing" by Joy Rancatore yesterday around 1:30 pm. My wife (the soon to be famous author/cover designer herself @rachaelritchey) had designed the cover for Joy and got her copy in the mail, and I was just saying I needed something to read.

I read the first page, and honestly was not impressed. It didn't seem overly clear, I wasn't sure about the writing style and it didn't grab me. Boy, am I glad I kept reading though, because by the end of the 2nd page I was hooked.

Joy
Christine
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
CW/TW: War & PTSD, substance abuse (alcoholism), child deaths

Any Good Thing follows the young life of Jack--a teenager who cannot seem to escape tragedy. After the deaths of his friends--who he feels responsible for--Jack heads out into the world to find himself. Jack lands in construction, Iraq as a marine, and even homeless. Any Good Thing reads like This Is Us in novel form.

A coming-of-age story about redemption with religious overtones, readers will laugh and cry as Jack perseveres through h
Rachael Ritchey
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Talk about pulling the heartstrings! Any Good Thing by Joy E. Rancatore is a bit of an emotional roller coaster where one cannot help falling in love with the characters, especially Jack Calhoun.

This is a journey through time, from coming-of-age in a small town in the South, to enduring the hardships of war, and through the reluctant search for healing in the aftermath of a life with more tragedy than one person should ever endure.

Joy E. Rancatore's characters feel real, and there are so many m
Annie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book is not something that I would normally read and I am too young to remember the immediate effects of 9/11. However, the story was extremely well written, and I was drawn in from the beginning of the first chapter. Throughout the story you can't help but cheer for the main character and want to see him succeed. He is surrounded by a cast of characters equall
Jana Tenbrook (Reviews from the Stacks)
DNF around 60%. I'm not connecting with the characters, and the plot doesn't hold my attention. Just not for me, but might be great for someone else!
Kimberly Delorenze
Nov 04, 2019
Annette R
Apr 19, 2020
Joy Rancatore
Aug 15, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Megan Lacourrege
Dec 10, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong Author Name 3 15 Aug 14, 2019 08:46AM

• Sugar
  • I Am Strong: A Little Book about Rosa Parks
  • I Am Brave: A Little Book about Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Hands Up!
  • What Is Given from the Heart
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Freedom in Congo Square
  • In Your Hands
  • Freedom Over Me: Eleven Slaves, Their Lives and Dreams Brought to Life by Ashley Bryan
  • Be the Bridge: Pursuing God's Heart for Racial Reconciliation
  • The Essential 55
  • The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
  • Life Interrupted
  • Brown Girl Dreaming
JOY E. RANCATORE writes fiction, nonfiction and everything between. In addition to her publishing roles, Joy is a blogger, speaker, teacher, editor for fellow Indie Authors and co-host of QWERTY Writing Life Podcast.

A multi-genre Indie Author, Joy has published Any Good Thing (2019) and This Good Thing (2020). Every Good Thing and One Good Thing will complete Carolina's Legacy Collection later in

News & Interviews