Jump to ratings and reviews

Resurrecting Magic #1

Rise of the Mage

College is hard, classes, homework, bullies. But, being the daughter of renowned professors, I grew up at Alderidge University and was on track to have an easy start to my freshman year. Until I met Nathaniel Nightingale.

Aloof and mysterious, Nathaniel’s hands were covered in scars that told me he had a violent history. He started asking questions about my own, and then dark secrets in our family lines collided after a strange discovery in the library. We found words with power, and they unleashed abilities in the both of us that had been lost to the world.

Turns out, the witch trials weren’t entirely the product of mass hysteria. As far as we can tell, almost every mage was wiped out – killed for their knowledge and their capabilities. And now I have to wonder if my mother’s disappearance is related.

This is dangerous. It’s feels impossible. We have the weight of an entire lost race resting on our shoulders.

But we’ve got this. Together, we’ll bring it all back. Together, we’ll resurrect magic.

294 pages, Nook

First published March 18, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Keary Taylor

65 books1,987 followers
Keary Taylor is the USA TODAY bestselling author of over twenty novels. She grew up along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where she started creating imaginary worlds and daring characters who always fell in love. She now splits her time between a tiny island in the Pacific Northwest and Utah, with her husband and their two children. She continues to have an overactive imagination that frequently keeps her up at night.

Please Note: Keary does not check Goodreads very often, so the best way to get in contact is directly through email: me@kearytaylor.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
25 (5%)
1 star
8 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 57 reviews
Profile Image for Jennifer Carr.
Author 1 book2 followers
January 29, 2022
I don’t like writing negative reviews but this book had so much potential as far as the summary promised. Instead, the characters,the writing, the dialogue, the narration were all dreadful (I listened on Audible).

The character development fell devastatingly short and I hated both main characters before I made it to chapter 5.

The sentences were choppy and made it tedious to listen.
The conversations between the characters were flat and immature.
I hate to admit it because it doesn’t seem fair to give such a review, but this was a DNF for me.
210 reviews3 followers
September 22, 2020
Super natural slice of life?

So.... it was a pretty good book. I'm not going to knock it down any stars because of this, but this book was not what I expected at all. The cover reminded me of so many other high fantasy, high magic, very supernatural academy book. This was not that.

Yes, it has magic in it but I found it very mundane. That's not meant as a bad thing, it was just very "slice of life" despite the magic stuff.

The love story had very little tension or drama. It was just very sweet and pleasant. The FMC was a little more of the dominant partner, which isn't to my taste, but others might like that.

I dropped a star off due to lack of tension, angst, drama. It mostly felt like a pleasant stroll through the park. It was definitely not bad, but I like books that make me feel a range of emotions and this one didn't really.

If you like the TV show *The Magicians* then you will probably like this very much. It feels similar in tone and setting.
Profile Image for Brooke.
26 reviews
March 29, 2020
Keary has done it again! I am in love with this story line and I can't wait for the next book to come out. I really loved how the relationship between Nathaniel and Margot builds throughout the book, there are moments of sweetness, heat, anger, and passion. I highly recommend!!
Profile Image for Jennifer.
Author 1 book6 followers
August 21, 2020
The story was pretty good, but the writing needs work. The author likes short, punchy sentences to the point where it gets annoying to read. It would read better if she mixed up the length of her sentences more so there was variety. The short sentences add more melodrama to situations that don't feel as if they should be that dramatic. And the insta-love, omg. So over the top. But I am quite intrigued with the magic and finding out what happened to her mother, so I may continue to read.
Profile Image for Lilivette.
289 reviews23 followers
March 19, 2022
First of all, let’s start this by saying that I’ve been following Keary Taylor and her books for almost ten years now. I’ve loved seeing how she tries different genres and how her writing has evolved, but sadly this book just didn’t click with me. Which is sad because I had actually looked forward to it back when it came out. Now, when it comes to general terms in the story, my biggest complain is just the fact that this didn’t felt like a story that was set in college or with college students. It just felt like a YA book set in a fancy high school and that actually bothered me, but once I started pretending it was set in a high school the story actually became enjoyable. Until the magic and the romance showed up, of course. My main problem with the magic is that it felt flat and boring compared to other magic systems. Yes, they were magicians and barely knew anything about magic or how it worked, I get that. But as Margot and Nathaniel started learning from books (because magic is like reading a cooking recipe in this world), you as a reader don’t get to learn anything? Like, how did it feel to use certain spells for the first time or what was the price they had to pay for certain spells? Because last time I checked they were just good at it and I was anything but a fan of that.

Moving on to complain about the romance, I’ll just say that this has been the worst romance couple I’ve read this year so far. Mainly, it was because I couldn’t stand Margot. Not because she was good at everything, learning magic for her was as easy as breathing or because she was conscious of her priviledge and her heart broke for Nathaniel whenever he talked about his terrible past. No, it was none of that, it was mainly because of this exact scene where made things about herself. Imagine Nathaniel is the one being bullied and refusing to fight back because of reasons, and you’re angry at him and suddenly make it all about yourself and how you feel and decide to take a break from him? Like he was being bullied and harassed at college (had been since before she even got there) and she’s just going to walk in on that situation and just make it about how she annoyed she feels? Ma’am, how do you think he feels being harassed like that and you being part of the reason why it’s gotten worse? And she really then just acted like everything was his fault when he could easily destroy them with his magic like? Magic was really getting into her head quickly.

In other words, Rise of the Mage felt flat and boring and it ended up being nothing like I expected it to be. The ending did have potential for things to get better (and far more interesting) on the second book, but I won’t be giving it a try because I think I suffered enough with this one. Anywho, if you’re looking for a short, fast-paced and very light urban fantasy read then I totally recommend you give this one a try!
108 reviews3 followers
March 15, 2020
I've been a long time fan of Keary's books and I'm always eagerly waiting for her new titles. With Rise of the Mage, you'll get intrigue, mystery, romance, and of course...magic!

Rise of the Mage isn't your typical magic book. It's a story about discovering magic and long-lost ancestral secrets. The two main characters, Margot and Nathaniel meet unexpectedly but there's an instant attraction and an underlying connection that neither one of them understands, until they both discover secrets from long ago that ties them together.

Like with many other stories by Keary Taylor, the characters draw you in immediately because they are so easy to read and relate. That's what I love most about Keary's books - the fact that her main characters and (even side characters) are so relatable and are just like regular people you meet. You can't help but feel their plight, their frustrations, and their triumphs. Throughout the book in Rise of the Mage, you'll get drawn in instantly to the story and all the little details that are revealed as you go through the book. It's an easy to read book. The pacing was great and you won't even know you reached the end of the story until you do...and then, darn it, I didn't want it to end!

If you've read other books by Keary, with Rise of the Mage, the romance was a bit lighter, which surprised me as some of Keary's other titles had really strong and passionate romance - or a slow burn romance that really, really heats up! But I liked it though because while romance is fine in stories such as this, it isn't always necessary either. But I do love how protective Margot was of Nathaniel - she's definitely not someone you want to mess with! :) And Nathaniel...well, he is a true "dreamboat"!

Overall, I'm hungrily waiting for book 2 of Rise of the Mage. I want to know what happens to Margot and Nathaniel, the Society Boys, and how everything ties in with Nathaniel and Margot. Is the Society Boys truly evil? And is there going to be an even more evil nemesis? I feel like we just barely touched the surface in this series!

Thanks, Keary for a chance to read your new title!
Profile Image for Naurarwen.
770 reviews5 followers
March 25, 2020
Margot knows Alderidge University like the back of her hand, she has spent almost her entire life there but there are secrets within the university that she never knew but is soon to discover. After meeting Nathanial Nightingale everything starts to change for Margot.

This story had me hooked from the start, dragging me into what seems at first to be a normal world, but how wrong was I? I love the build-up between Margot and Nathanial throughout the story, there is no instalove but there is definitely a connection from the beginning which gets stronger as time goes on. One thing I love about Margot is she is strong and won't stand for bullies. If someone does something she doesn't like she certainly has no issues with telling them. Nathanial is a beautifully broken character, he has a lot of things that have happened in his past that you learn about throughout the story and Margot would love nothing more than to glue him back together. They really are perfect for each other.

I for one am thoroughly looking forward to the second book in this series!
Profile Image for Sheena.
441 reviews8 followers
March 19, 2020
Okay so here's the thing, I've been in a real reading slump so far this year. I've been reading a book from a favourite author and really struggling with it to the point I put it down when I got this.

This one, I couldn't put down. I always say Keary Taylor does the best world building and this is no exception, I could really visualise Alderidge University and the characters that populate it. And straight away I liked Nathaniel Nightingale. I loved Nathaniel and Margot together too, I loved how right they were together and I really liked seeing that relationship develop so naturally.

This is before I even get to the point of the story, bringing back magic. An accidental discovery in a book leads to a whole new world opening up for Margot and Nathaniel and potentially providing some answers to the mystery of her mother's disappearance. Add in some spoiled rich kids and there you have the recipe for a great read. More please.
March 30, 2020
I was excited to read this story because I really KT and her ability to tell a story with detail and still keep it a wonderful read. For some reason this book felt almost episodic is what though I could see this playing out over a TV show. Rise of the mage was wonderful story involving a smart young girl coming of age and understanding a brand new world that was almost extinct. Along the way she science a companion them together they start to understand their gift.
I can't wait to read the next one. As with most good stories as they unravel some twists and turns more uncertainty gets thrown their way. I feel like this was a good quick read yet it leaves you hungry for more.
I'm very curious to see what happens with her mother to see if she comes back into play after having Gone Missing many years prior.
One thing I also enjoy about KT is that her books while have the same style are not repetitive or predictable and still keep you wondering what is coming next
Profile Image for Gemma Ironside.
77 reviews1 follower
March 31, 2020
The Rise of Mage is a new series by Author Keary Taylor, I've always been a fan of her books so I was eager to get my hands on this one and as always, it didn't disappoint.

The main protagonist - Margot, is studying at Alderidge University when she meets Nathaniel. Margot is a very strong willed female character that you just don't want to mess with. Nathianel is swoon worthy, absolutely dreamy. When the pair meet there was chemistry between them right away and that only got stronger and more intense as the story formed.

This book is filled with magic but not just any magic, magic that is full of ancestry secrets. It also has the love connection between the two main characters which is just written so perfectly. I absolutely love the way Keary writes, her books are always so pleasant to read, very detailed and they always suck me in. I cannot wait for book two of this, absolutely fantastic series.
Profile Image for Nickole.
1,199 reviews5 followers
October 27, 2020
We meet college student Margot, whos dad is a professor and her mom was one....and the emphasis on was...as her mom disappeared a few years ago without a trace. She knows all the staff at thr College since visiting there as a child but there's a new face in thr library..a cute boy named Nathaniel. They hit it off as both being book nerds and the love of history and language. The school hierarchy is ran by a "boys club" and tbr leader has his eyes on Margot...yuck! Nathaniel takes a chance and shows Margot what he can do and Margot is floored but there is smtg inside her that sees him as a kindred spirit....magically. both set out to find the truth and search thru their ancestry to see what they can find. Margot feels like there is a link to her mothers disappearance. Drama, intrigue, secrets and wonder makes this a good read.
Profile Image for Melodie Cieckiewicz .
109 reviews1 follower
January 27, 2022
Growing up is hard! But it’s even harder when your mother just up and disappears. Leaving you to be raised by your father in the home that has become a museum to your mother’s existence. It’s even harder when you’re different. When you can’t make friends and others think you’re weird. In this creative story Margot discovers that she’s not alone in a society she doesn’t feel like she belongs in. She also discovers that within her blood lies an ancestry of magic. Could this magic be the cause to her mother’s disappearance? Is there such a thing as hereditary magic? And then there’s the angle of falling in love with someone who’s lived a life of horror that most couldn’t imagine! This book has so many layers of so many creative directions you will never find yourself bored! I am so thrilled and excited to read book number two.
Profile Image for Kristi Hyde.
55 reviews3 followers
January 24, 2022
Things I liked
1. Characters learning how to communicate with each other when they have a misunderstanding.
2. Learning about the magic of this world/how it’s used how they are finding ways to learn it.
3. Having parental support

Things that needed work:
1. This is small, but I didn’t like how the author used “a smile pulled at his lips” or “a smirk pulled at his lips”. There was a lot of that going on.
2. The magic in this book seems based off of “willing it to be so”, which makes it a little too easy despite her saying they have to practice. I wish there was more to how the magic works.

This book was just okay for me. It didn’t catch my interest enough to continue with the series.
Profile Image for Claire Semonin.
86 reviews2 followers
March 11, 2020
Wow, this has become one of my top books by Keary.
I am so glad she got her supernatural mojo back!
I truly love her T.L.Keary books but I am enthralled by her supernatural books. The sheer imagination of this author astounds me!
Rise of the Mage really grips you, it takes a hold of you and keeps your interest. The characters are well written, the plot has a number of threads that I am sure will be addressed in Keeper of the lost!
Well done Keary, fascinating and intriguing story !
I feel a little sad that I've finished it! I didn't see that ending coming till it was in front of my nose- normally I am good at guessing the plot so it's nice when I am surprised :)
Profile Image for Penny.
2,091 reviews40 followers
March 19, 2020
I will admit that I was reluctant to read this book only because I’m not real fond of the academy or YA books genre. I read them, but sometimes it’s difficult as I’m not fond of the angst. However, I should have trusted this author. The two main characters are young, but they are in no way immature. In fact, they practice good judgment which in some books even the more mature characters don’t; I can’t stand that. The storyline is unique, and the action is fun. I am very excited about the next book in a way that I’m not usually. This series is different enough I can’t figure out where we’re going, and it is going to be a fun ride! Highly recommend! I was provided a complimentary copy which I voluntarily reviewed.
Profile Image for Gigi.
1,531 reviews25 followers
March 27, 2020
Oh wow. I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. Wow just wow. Each chapter just kept getting better and better. That it had me hooked from start to finish. There was certain parts of the story that had me with all different types of emotions. My heart goes to Nathaniel, he is just an amazing person. Margot she is one badass chick. Those Society Boys, gosh they got on my last nerve. That ending left me like noooo I need more now, it can’t end yet. Keeper of the Lost needs to be out already. Thank you Keary for another amazing book, like always you never disappoint.
Profile Image for Ashile .
15 reviews1 follower
March 31, 2020
Phenomenal!! This book is absolutely amazing! Within the first couple of pages I was hooked and couldn’t put this book down and finished it in one night. If you are a fan of Keary’s other work, you do not want to miss out on Rise of The Mage. It has all the plot turns and twists that make Keary’s stories so addictive and when you finally reach the last chapter you can’t wait for the next one to come out. Wonderful characters with depth that makes you want to root for them. If you haven’t read Rise of The Mage, this is a book you *must* read next.
5 reviews
April 7, 2020
Is magic gone from the world?
No it hasnt... it's there, hiding, waiting to be found....

For Margot, life is simple. Do her schoolwork, keep getting amazing grades, become a professor just like her parents.... but then she meets Nathaniel and those plans may just float out the window with the paper planes Nathaniel flies in her window.

This is a beautiful beginning to a story that I know I will love.

Margot and Nathaniel are perfect for each other, and have so much do to, to make magic great again.

Love love love this beginning book. Cannot wait til book two.
992 reviews
January 24, 2021
Keary Taylor is a master storyteller with a fresh, intriguing storyline that draws you in and holds your interest as this exciting tale unfolds around you. Her hero, Nathaniel Nightingale, and heroine, Margot Bell, are very personable individuals maturing in a university setting with common and completely relatable experiences. After the main characters have been introduced to the readers, the plot escalates to a fast-paced, action-packed drama. Once you begin reading, you will find that this book is hard to put down. I can't wait to read more of this amazing story. Really Great Read!!!!!
Profile Image for Jennifer Carr.
18 reviews
October 18, 2022

The sentences were choppy and made it tedious to listen.
The conversations between the characters were flat and immature.
Profile Image for Idi Aldama.
40 reviews1 follower
March 15, 2020
Keary Taylor writes beautifully and to be honest I read anything that comes from her and until now I've never faced disappointment. This time was no exception with a book so well written that it sucks you in from the start. Our protagonist is so stable, so down to earth, she meets Nathaniel and he is so smart and kind and with a dark past awaiting to be found. Together they are a force to recon. I can't wait to read the next.
166 reviews1 follower
March 22, 2020
Rise of the mage Keary Taylor
Omg Margot and Nathaniel what a pair dreaming of them together so far so good only at 26% and I can't put it down ! A new young adult magical romance ! Laugh out loud when Margot puts the society boys in their place !  Excitement runs through me reading this book !!! And to see Margot grow so much and to see where this may all lead I do hope to read more from this amazing read !
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for JanaLee Longhurst.
Author 7 books2 followers
March 30, 2020
Once again, I'm just gonna say that Taylor can write in any genre and kill it. Rise of the Mage is set in a deliciously mysterious college library, which I can fully imagine because her descriptions are so on point. There is electricity between Margot and Nathaniel. There's a missing mother, a professor for a father, a society of college bullies, dark and twisted backstories, and sparks of magic to be discovered. I loved it and I can't wait to read the next one!
Profile Image for Gerri Fletcher.
10 reviews
August 19, 2020
The book held my interest from the very beginning. You automatically feel for Margot the female lead character due to fact the loss of her mother still haunts her. Nathaniel is our dark and brooding male lead character who is much more than what he seems. Add in the Society Boys, an elitist fraternity at the college that only birthright and money allows joining, you have a explosion waiting to happen. Action, secrecy, romance, it’s all rolled up in a good read in this book!
27 reviews
August 24, 2020
Rise of the Mage

This is one of the best first of a series books that I have read in a long time. The characters grab you and draw you into their search for the knowledge of how to use the magic in their. Margot is feisty and strong willed, seemingly the opposite of Nathaniel, but he has a hidden strength that draws Margot to him. I am eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.
Profile Image for LeTouche.
12 reviews
May 31, 2021
Omg why was this actually amazing. The characters are all really realistic and I love them all, even the enemies I somehow feel some sympathy for. I love how it’s quite healthy, like the father/ daughter dynamic to the new romantic relationship feels good.

Thank you for writing this book Keary Taylor! Got another fan now!

Who knew there were healthy relationship depictions of romantic fantasy out there woo!
Profile Image for cassi parker.
25 reviews1 follower
March 24, 2020
Another amazing read from Keary Taylor. I was able to get lost in this book for a day and forget the crazy going on around us. I can’t wait to see what the series has in store. It was 💯 un-put-down-able, as most of Kearys writing has been. This book has magic, mystery, love and a strong girl finding her voice in the world. Highly reccomend.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 57 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.