Start by marking “Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)” as Want to Read:
Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)

Betwixt

(Betwixt & Between #1)

Divorced, desperate, and destitute, former restaurateur Defiance Dayne finds out she has been bequeathed a house by a complete stranger. She is surprised, to say the least, and her curiosity gets the better of her. She leaves her beloved Phoenix and heads to one of the most infamous towns in America: Salem, Massachusetts.

Shes only there to find out why a woman shes never
Published February 18th 2020 (first published February 16th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Betwixt, please sign up.
Lisa Janene

Janene

Finally someone else is annoyed by it. I hate how she is referred to either in book. No reason that I remember. And the blurb needs changing. It’s missing a word plus, just by reading it, no one knows why the two names. Not enough info so it’s confusing.(less)

Start your review of Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)
Yodamom
4.5
I really enjoyed this fun tale of magical mishaps and family secrets. The MC is a woman in her 40's who has found her foundation ripped away through divorce. She's broke, nearly homeless and desperate, then she gets a notice of an inheritance from someone she doesn't even know. It's a huge gothic house, a house that has more needs than she's ready for. Oh but this house is worth so much more wait till you see what the basement has to offer. :X
I found Defiance (MC) a bit irritating in bits,
Aisling Zena

The characters seem to be very similar to her other series.. And while the magic aspect was refreshing the rest was more of the tried and trusted variety..

description
Tresa Johnston
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner by Darynda!!

I sat down and read this book in one sitting. I'm a HUGE Darynda Jones fan and absolutely love her series with the badass Grim Reaper detective. This is nothing like that, with a new location, new interesting characters, and a story I can't wait to continue reading! This is an amazing author with a real talent for story telling. Highly recommend this book.
Bonnie
Ive been anxiously awaiting the release of A Bad Day for Sunshine (Daryndas upcoming release following the end of her Charley Davidson series) so color me surprised when Amazon informs me that Darynda has another new book and its available now. And even though I make it a hobby to sign up for Kindle Unlimited and then promptly never use it, I downloaded Betwixt and started it. Same day.

Betwixt introduces us to forty-four-year-old Defiance Dayne who is still reeling from the recent brutal divorce
Betül
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

Darynda Jones is one of my favorite authors, so I always get excited whenever she announces a new book. Normally, I have to wait a year for a new book to release, because they are traditionally published. So I was happy when I saw that she was working on a couple of projects that she would publish herself. I am very used to her writing style, which is mostly light and fun, but she is also know to throw an emotional punch every now and then. Betwixt is about Defiance (love the name), who just
Nancie
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In love with this story!!!

I read this book all in one sitting because I couldn't put it down! Defiance, Annette, Ruthie, and Roane are marvelous characters and each one is endearing and engaging. I look forward to reading Bewitched!!!
Theresa
4 Stars... Defiance definitely lives up to her name with all the wit and sarcasm that we love in Darynda Jones' heroines... Inheriting a house from an unknown person should raise a few red flags, but when you are down and out you also become desperate and curious... Defiance never knew how her life would change when she moved from Arizona to Salem, Massachusetts and the secrets she would uncover; not to mention the insanely sexy journeyman, the scraggly but lovable housecat, and the mysterious ...more
☘ Lily ☘
I have so much feeling about this book.

First, have you watched Texas Chainsaw 3D? The one where there was this one attorney kept reminding our girl to read the letter her grandmother wrote her after she left her the creepy house? And our heroine never did read them until the end? Yeah, in this one, our girl procrastinated so much that it freaking annoyed me to high heaven. I was like, God help me. This woman is trying on my nerveee.

Second, our protagonist, Charley-whoopsie!-I mean Defiance
Belles
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Not quite as good as a Charley Davidson book, but I did enjoy it. I liked that the main character is in her 40s.
Angie Parish
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!

I love this book!! I was really ticked at the ending, cause I was so sunk into the book that I felt like it came out of nowhere. I thought that I had at least 20 more chapters.

I believe if you read any of the books by these amazing women you will fall in love!!!
Ivana
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. The storyline seems very promising and I'm looking forward to the next one.
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
I. Am. In. Love!
With Defiance, RUTHIE, Percy, Annette, Dads, ROANE, Houston, et al. Yay yay yay for this fun new series which also contains my favorite life giving-mothers milk-elixir of the goddess appreciation, by one my abso-faves authors! Hashtag homerun, Darynda Jones! Grimlet love everlasting ❤
☕️Kimberly
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Full RTC
Michele
Okay, full disclosure here: I'm a huge fan of Darynda Jones's work prior to reading Betwixt. So I was already fangirling when I bought this book. I was also excited to see a new genre, Paranormal Women's Fiction, being of a (ahem) certain age group that this new endeavor is geared towards. I'm happy to say that Betwixt definitely did not disappoint. There was all the snarky goodness I adore in Jones's writing as well as an awesome friendship between Defiance and her bestie Annette--reminiscent ...more
Andrea
I'll be honest- I saw this on my feed and it looked interesting, but reading the description I was worried it was going to be a bit of a pity party. Thankfully this was not the case at all!

I got swept right into the story and I actually had a whole lot of fun with Defiance's character, and learning about her new possibilities in both life and magic was a great read. There's mystery, intrigue, a new budding romance (along with a d-bag ex) and a wonderful friendship between her and her best friend
Michelle
Wow, I really enjoyed Betwixt (my first read of Ms. Jones' books, although her books have been on my TBR shelf for more years than I'd like to admit), really liked quirky Defiance and Annette, as well as Ruthie, Houston and Roane (rawr!) but that cliffy was tough! I am really looking forward to the next book in the series!
Kat, lover of bears...
I am really loving the new PWF (Paranormal Womens Fiction) genre. It is refreshing to read stories about women over 40 and who trying to get a grip on their changing life.

Loved everything about this story; the characters, the reveals, the magic, the flaws, and seriously.... the kilt... no joke.

The book is part of a series, but blessedly did not end on a cliffhanger.
Mel
I finally had a headache free day to read this book and I could not put it down. I was engrossed in Defiances discovery of herself and her powers. The connection between Defiance and Roane was compelling. I absolutely love reading about middle aged women discovering the best of themselves. I cannot wait for book two to be released. ...more
LAB☺
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Rounded up to 4*. This felt like "Charley Davidson-lite" to me. Defiance and Charley were way too similar. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy this book.
Anna
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I enjoyed the story. The main character frustrated me a few times hence the drop in stars. She just didn't look at all the facts before reacting.
Bottom line it's a solid read that I enjoyed, I will read the next in the series.

Jeni
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great plot, annoying heroine

So, plot is amazing. I almost rated it 3 stars but the last 2-3 chapters redeemed the heroine a bit. She comes way to close to the border between sassy strong female and stupid obnoxious female who can't stop long enough to listen. I very nearly gave up, but I stuck with it and she did improve somewhat. I'm curious enough about the plot to go for book 2 and the secondary characters were fabulous so there's that.
Snarktastic Sonja
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first of the fab 13 I read because, well, Charley Davidson. And, I've got to say, this one did not disappoint. It has all the trademark flavor of Charley - best friend, hunky guy, loving family - yet it doesn't seem formulaic. It is a totally new idea with a totally new heroine. As with Charley, I giggled my way through the story. I enjoyed the massive amount of characters - but there were probably a few too many to keep track of. One thing that I did not like about Charley and is ...more
Nancy Wege
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Holy hell, what a ride! Defiance is left a home by a woman she doesnt know and never heard of. When she travels across the country to claim it, events are set in motion that she could not have ever dreamed.

Dephne has just been cheated out of everything she had (except her vintage mint green Volkswagen Beetle) in her divorce. Salem is just as good as anyplace to start new. But how in the world is she supposed to afford to keep the beautiful old house, that seems to have a personality of its own?
Trisha
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid 3.75 Stars. Overall the story flows well & the characters are like able, if not very relate-able.
I did find myself cringing at times at the childish antics of Defiance & Annette, who are both in their 40s.
I felt this was a bit of a filler book. We got the background, world building & story prep, that will hopefully lead into a more meatier story in the next 2 books.
I for sure will be reading the next books in this series to see how things go.
I hope we see Defiance continue
Adrienne McFarlane
So good

I really need the next book in the series. The way it ended left me hanging. I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I love a book with a mature female lead. Love all of the characters. Dialogue between the MC and her bff was excellent.
Kristin
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
That was a lot of fun! Grabby hands for the next one!
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Book source ~ Kindle Unlimited

Defiance Dephne Dayne is a forty-four-year-old divorced and broke woman who has just inherited a house from a woman she has never even heard of. She has driven from Arizona in her rust bucket VW Bug to Salem, Massachusetts to claim it because why not? And yes, I did say Salem, MA. Home of the witch trials. The house is huge and persnickety. And it comes with a cat and a gorgeous hunk of a man who lives in the basement. But, wait! Theres more! But why should I spoil
Christy LoveOfBooks
This was a lot of fun!
Im so happy to have a new series by Jones to read.
Angie ☯
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you liked the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones, I think you would enjoy this book as well - but there is no Reyes! (There is however a very different, although sexy journeyman) :-)

And how can you not love a main character named Defiance?! The story is just fun. The characters are sassy and zany misfits. The book has great adventure and hilarious conversations between Defiance and her best friend. Oh, and did I mention the house has an attitude!

I am so looking forward to the next book
Amanda Perkins
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, over-30
3½⭐ rounded up.

I actually rather enjoyed this read. I've had bad luck when it comes to finding a decent heroine over the age of 40 whose whole back story isn't "husband cheated with SLUTTY SLUTTY SLUTTY younger woman"thus why you see none of them in my read column; they all got dropped like hot potatoes with their gross shamingso I was a bit hesitant to try this one. I'm glad I did. Defiance did get treated shoddily by her ex-husband, but it's a different kind of betrayal. Like many "Generation

• Cloudy with a Chance of Witchcraft (Grimm Cove, #1)
  • It's A Wonderful Midlife Crisis (Good To The Last Death, #1)
  • Witching For Grace (Premonition Pointe, #1)
  • Writing Wrongs (Crow's Feet Coven #1)
  • Second Chance Magic (Order of Magic, #1)
  • Grave Magic Bounty (Forty Proof, #1)
  • Sucks To Be Me
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Halfway There (Midlife Mulligan #1)
  • Let it All Burn
  • Suddenly Psychic (Glimmer Lake, #1)
  • Wrong Side of Forty (Marina at Midlife, #1)
  • Pack of Lies (The Potentate of Atlanta #2)
  • Sin & Spirit (Demigods of San Francisco, #4)
  • Her Scream in the Silence (Carly Moore #2)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Death & Desire (The Jezebel Files, #2)
NYTimes and USA Today Bestselling Author Darynda Jones has won numerous awards for her work, including a prestigious RITA, a Golden Heart, and a Daphne du Maurier. As a born storyteller, she grew up spinning tales of dashing damsels and heroes in distress for any unfortunate soul who happened by, annoying man and beast alike. She currently has two series with St. Martin's Press, the Charley ...more

Betwixt & Between (3 books)
  • Bewitched (Betwixt & Between #2)
  • Beguiled (Betwixt & Between #3)