Start by marking “First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys, #4)” as Want to Read:
First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys, #4)

First Comes Scandal

(Rokesbys #4)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  10,992 ratings  ·  1,240 reviews
She was given two choices...

Georgiana Bridgerton isn't against the idea of marriage. She'd just thought she'd have some say in the matter. But with her reputation hanging by a thread after she's abducted for her dowry, Georgie is given two options: live out her life as a spinster or marry the rogue who has ruined her life.

Enter Option #3

As the fourth son of an earl, Nichol
Published April 21st 2020 by Avon (first published March 31st 2020)

·  10,992 ratings  ·  1,240 reviews

Start your review of First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys, #4)
JenReadsRomance
Whether or not you like this book will be determined by 2 things:

is banter enough to get you through a 300 page romance with basically zero plot? It's good banter, it's JQ's strong suit. But when I say there is no plot -- this is a marriage of convenience story where they don't decide to get married until page 100, and then they do get married, and then I swear to god, it's like a 100 page carriage ride for them to get to Scotland. I get that "falling in love" is the plot of any romance, but it
Holly
Get the audiobook for this one just so you can hear the deranged cat noises. No seriously, the person who narrated the cat needs an award for most hilarious and yet accurate rendition of a pissed off cat.

The book plot itself is a little sparse. But I am still cracking up over that cat.
Anne
There's this scene with Georgiana's cats.
All of them are trapped in baskets for a long carriage ride to their new home, and one of the scraggly bastards is making life miserable for everyone involved.
It makes listening to the audiobook 100% worth it.

description

Swear to god, Rosalyn Landor had me crying. She does the yowling, highly indignant cat to absolute perfection. In fact, she pretty much does every character in Julia Quinn's books to perfection. I honestly don't think I'd find her books half as fu
Jen Davis
I am struggling a little with how to come at this review. There were things I liked about this book. But in many ways it also left me wanting.

I enjoy Julia Quinn and absolutely adored the first book in this series. This is another Bridgerton prequel and it centers on Georgina and Nicolas Rokesby. These two were old family friends thrown together in marriage after Georgina was ruined.

Things started out well enough. I liked both characters. In fact, I continued to like them both throughout the boo
Ariel
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book might tie for first place as my favorite Julia Quinn novel. It was an absolute delight to read! Both main characters were immensely likable, their conversation and banter flowed very well. The tension and feelings between them felt natural, and delicious. There were cats! In carriages! I stayed up way past my bedtime reading it, and immediately wanted to turn around and start it again.
Julia Quinn knocks it out of the park again!
Andrea
1.5 stars rounded up, because, well. Nostalgia? It IS Julia Quinn, after all. But I am severely disappointed by this whole series.

I think my feelings about this book can easily summed up in one word- lackluster. I was mostly bored, never invested, and I don't think I even smiled. Which makes me wonder, have my tastes changed that dramatically, or has JQ's writing changed? Because I loved the first book in this series, but then it just went downhill for me, book by book.

Things that didn't work
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
HISTORICAL ROMANCE FINALLY HAS A SUPPORTIVE MALE LEAD 🙏

Honestly, this is such a rare thing to find in HR (in my experience at least) and it really shouldn't be. A man who is supportive of his woman, who doesn't dismiss her or ask her to give up her dreams. Sure, often the guy becomes that. But not Nicholas. Nicholas was like that from the start. And that won me over.

👍 What I Liked 👍

Nicholas: Nicholas was so adorable. I liked how he genuinely wanted to help others. And I especially loved how supp
Addie H
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
On Kindle sale today 11th Nov 2020 for USD 2.99

(Tropes: Friends to Lovers, Marriage of Convenience)

It's Julia Quinn - what's not to like? It's charming, funny and easy to read. I read it in less than a day.

Buuuuuut, that said, while I enjoyed myself, I wasn't blown away. I found the characters young and incomplete - so a bit dull at times. While the banter entertained as always, the romance lacked.

Also, it was probably the least sexy book of JQ I have ever read.

description
Meggie
Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series contains some of my all-time favorite historical romances, so when she started writing these prequel books I was completely on board. First Comes Scandal is the fourth book in Rokesby series, pairing Georgiana Bridgerton with Nicholas Rokesby. Georgie's reputation is ruined from a foiled elopement, and Nicholas is summoned from Edinburgh to deal with the situation.

The good: All the characters are very likable. Nicholas is training for a career. Georgie is so brigh
WhiskeyintheJar

Georgiana was kidnapped by a fortune hunter but even though she managed to save herself, her reputation is in tatters.
Nicholas is called down from medical school in Edinburgh by his father who orders him to marry their neighbor and Nicholas' childhood friend, Georgiana.
It's a marriage of convenience but a close quarters carriage ride with a grumpy cat
Stacee
I had read and loved some of the previous books, so I was more than eager to get to this one.

I liked Georgie and Nicholas. They’re both good, loyal people with a passion for knowledge and they’ve known each other for what seems like forever. I enjoyed their family background and there’s a scene with the two family butlers that was absolutely the best part of the book.

Plot wise, it was fairly non-existent. The so called conflict was their arguing about the proposal and after that was solved, I
aarya
DNF at 20%

I was in the mood for a historical and thought I'd try an upcoming JQ release even though I haven't read anything new by her in years. Well, apparently there was a reason for that. I have a ridiculous amount of nostalgia for JQ's backlist, but the magic just isn't here anymore. Either I've changed a lot as a reader or JQ has changed as an author. I'm not sure which is true, but it doesn't really matter. This was uninteresting for the first 20%, and I have no intention of forcing myself
Marie
April 20: A DELIGHT! so easy to read, it makes you smile and grin... it is a very short, simple romance story about a marriage of convenience, medicine and cats and it is just lovely.

bonus points: the family scenes in the first half were of course just brilliant and so funny.

June 19 : THAT TITLE

December 18 : GIVE ME ALL THE BANTER AND THE ELECTRICITY BETWEEN THOSE TWO ALREADY
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: First Comes Scandal
Series: Rokesbys #4
Author: Julia Quinn
Release date: April 21, 2020
Cliffhanger: No
Genre:historical romance

This was my first read in the prequel series, and what fun it was! In First Comes Scandal, Georgiana Bridgerton meets her match with her childhood friend, Nicholas Rokesby. The Rokesbys have a neighboring estate and the two families are inseparable. Nicholas' father, Lord Manston is Georgiana's godfather, so when she is abducted by a fortune hunter and her reputatio
Joana V.
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Review originally published at Romancing Romances

I received an eARC at no cost from the publisher, and I am leaving a voluntary and honest review. Thank you.

3.25*

Julia Quinn is one of my favourite authors, and I can’t tell you how ecstatic I was when I saw that I had been given the opportunity to read the last book in the Rokesby series, the Bridgerton prequel.

This is the story of Nicholas and Georgiana (Georgie). I like marriage of convenience stories, and I thought I would really enjoy this o
Sharon
****Thanks Goodreads & Avon for the ARC****

I am so happy that of all ARCs I could’ve gotten in a giveaway, I get it for one of my favorite series, especially because I seldom win any. This series has been such a delight! I feel like so far all the Rokesbys books have been super solid so far. While I adore the camaraderie and bantering in the Bridgerton family more, their books aren’t as consistently good as the Rokesbys books in my opinion. I hope this isn’t the last one.

Here are some of my tho
Blodeuedd Finland
Poor Georgiana, she got abducted, and that makes her ruined. Ugh the times right! Her choices are marry the guy, no way, he can rot! Or be the talk of the town, or...

Nicholas is studying medicin., and I am sure he will become a great doctor cos he sure has the touch.

I mean, honestly, nothing happened. They are neighbor, they talk, they marry since scandal and all, then they take a looong drive up to Scotland. There they get a house and the book ends. Yeah, no drama at all, not that I want silly
Stephanie
This romance was so gentle and cozy and comforting, like getting a warm hug. It's listed as Rokesbys #4, but it worked beautifully for me as a standalone. I was SO glad to find and read it this week, and I'll definitely be talking in more detail about it in my Dragons' Book Club column on Patreon (going out tomorrow), because for me, it was definitely a highlight of this month and exactly what I needed to get through a hard moment. ...more
Deniz
I always enjoy Julia Quinn’s books. This one is very sweet, funny friends to lovers story. This is a marriage of convenience of friends to lovers.(my fav. tropes)The couple was sweet. But First Comes Scandal doesn't hold quite the same magic for me as The Bridgertons' ...more
eyes.2c
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
1791. An unusual beginning!

Nicholas Rokesby has been studying in Edinborough to be a doctor. When his father calls him home urgently he little knew the proposal his father had in mind. He was imagining one sort of tragedy and was gob smacked by something quite different.
Local neighbor and his father's goddaughter Georgiana Bridgerton, whom Nicolas regarded as a sister, has against her will been placed in a compromising position by an impecunious admirer, Freddie Oakes.
This had a brilliant begin
Desi
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. This book was somehow… youthful. A wee bit innocent if you will. I do like that no contrived conflict was randomly introduced near the end.

Scotland as a setting was also a change of pace, though it could have been set up and described more distinctly. I did not really feel like I was there.

It is a very straightforward story. I suppose I expected a little more in-depth coverage of them adjusting to marriage and falling in love as they got to know each other differently, that's my usu
Carolyn
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quinn-julia
This was absolutely adorable and reminded me why I first came to love Julia Quinn's writing so many years ago in my first encounter with her, the wonderful Bridgerton Series! As a matter of fact, this particular book had, what I believe is, the first look at Edmund Bridgerton as a young man married to Violet. By the time of the Bridgerton Series, Violet is a widow. Edmund and Violet only have three children in this book, little terrors Anthony and Benedict, along with baby Colin. Colin is alread ...more
Milica's Bookshelf
I think everyone knows I love historical romances and Julia's books, so don't get me wrong... just, there is no plot! I find their whole banter thing so entertaining but that's not enough, at least for me. ...more
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but sweet. I enjoyed this book. It was a quick easy read. I feel like it needed more though. More conflict, more pages. It was still a good book, just not quite enough. So 3.5 stars rounded up to 4.
Jen
3.5 Stars

Julia Quinn is one of my favorite historical romance authors and I'll pretty much read anything she publishes, especially when the name "Bridgerton" is attached to it. I just love that family. This one, however, didn't wow me.

If we're using Colin Bridgerton from Romancing Mister Bridgerton (and why wouldn't we?) as our generational guide, this prequel series focuses on those feisty ladies who would eventually become the Bridgerton kids (Colin and his brothers and sisters) aunts. As much
Sometime
When Georgie is kidnapped by a fortune hunter for her dowry she knees him in the balls, ties him up, and climbs out the window. Go Georgie! Sadly, she is ruined anyway and now will have to face life as a spinster or marry her kidnapper. When Nicholas' father orders him to marry Georgie, a woman he sees as a sister, he resists. But after a night spent laughing at the dinner table he realized that marrying Georgie might not be such a bad idea, and that he now sees her as anything but sisterly.

This
HR-ML
Dec 19, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 56%. England 1791.

I enjoyed many of this author's earlier works, including
the Bridgerton series. I read Quinn's 2012 book about
the untalented sister musicians. Then another. Then I
laid low for awhile.

I tried Quinn again and DNF this one. Nick & "Georgie"
were stilted around each other & had no attraction.
Either 1 or the other or both displayed his/her/ their
ill-temper. I love cats, but the one cat, Cat-Head,
took up too much story in the caravan heading north
to Scotland.

Where was-
Celia McMahon
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing happened in this book of consequence. There weren't any character arcs that I could see. But Cat-Head stole the show and upped it a star. ...more
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
The only reason why this book has 3 stars is because they mentioned Violet and her children Anthony, Benedict, and Collin and I LOVE THEM AS YOUNG CHILDREN. THEY WERE SO ADORABLE AND CUTE AND LOVELY.

The romance is this one is super fluffy but there's no plot like all the other reviews said. It's just yawn. I'm glad I read this through audiobook but I'm also like IT'S SO SLOW a lot of the times.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I don't think I've ever read a romance with as low angst as this one. I don't think it has any. There isn't a single moment in this story that will, you know how it usually happens in romances, hit you just right so you either cry or you are on the edge of your seat.

Yes, there is scandal involved, but you never see the impact of it so the characters talking about it may as well lying to you. You know it is highly likely that it is a scandal for heroine considering the time she lives in. I am no
The hopeful reade...: Buddy Read: First Comes Scandal 87 24 May 14, 2020 11:57AM

• Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Never Courted, Suddenly Wed (Scandalous Seasons, #2)
  • Forever Betrothed, Never the Bride (Scandalous Seasons, #1)
  • Always Proper, Suddenly Scandalous (Scandalous Seasons, #3)
  • Mermaid Inn (Matchmaker Bay #1)
  • Always a Rogue, Forever Her Love (Scandalous Seasons, #4)
  • Real Men Knit
  • To Redeem a Rake (The Heart of a Duke, #11)
  • The Lure of a Rake (The Heart of a Duke, #9)
  • Rescued By a Lady's Love (Lords of Honor, #3)
  • Captivated by a Lady's Charm (Lords of Honor #2)
  • To Wed His Christmas Lady (The Heart of a Duke, #7)
  • Dirty Letters
  • The Rogue's Wager (Sinful Brides, #1)
  • Schooling the Duke (The Heart of a Scandal, #1)
  • Seduced By a Lady's Heart (Lords of Honor #1)
  • Sophia, Princess Among Beasts
#1 New York Times bestselling author Julia Quinn loves to dispel the myth that smart women don't read (or write) romance, and and if you watch reruns of the game show The Weakest Link you might just catch her winning the $79,000 jackpot. She displayed a decided lack of knowledge about baseball, country music, and plush toys, but she is proud to say that she aced all things British and literary, an ...more

Rokesbys (4 books)
  • Because of Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #1)
  • The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2)
  • The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Mistaken identities, one-night stands, forbidden love, fake engagements—oh my! There's no denying it: The romance genre has got some of the...
“if it wasn’t good for the goose, the gander could damn well do without too.” 1 likes
“— Non. Chatmousse s’appelait Rhubarbe. Mais Edmund et toi aviez décidé que ce serait bien plus drôle de dire Rhumoustaches, et…
— C’est vrai que Rhumoustaches est bien plus drôle.
Georgie pinça les lèvres. Elle se retenait manifestement de rire.
— Je veux dire, continua Nicholas, qui appelle « Rhubarbe » une créature vivante ?”
0 likes