Start by marking “Super Fake Love Song” as Want to Read:

Super Fake Love Song

From the bestselling author of Frankly in Love comes a contemporary YA rom-com where a case of mistaken identity kicks off a string of (fake) events that just may lead to (real) love.

When Sunny Dae—self-proclaimed total nerd—meets Cirrus Soh, he can’t believe how cool and confident she is. So when Cirrus mistakes Sunny’s older brother Gray’s bedroom—with its electric guita
Published November 17th 2020 by G.P. Putnam’s Sons Books for Young Readers

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jul 13, 2021
    Enter to win a paperback copy of contemporary romance SUPER FAKE LOVE SONG by New York Times bestselling author David Yoon! (No PO boxes please.)

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2600 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jun 13 - Jul 12, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Super Fake Love Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super Fake Love Song

Start your review of Super Fake Love Song
    Vicky Again
    May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Oh gosh, I absolutely sped through this!

Super Fake Love Song takes on a lot lighter and more romcom feel than Frankly in Love. (And when I say romcom, I do actually mean it.)

Even though there's this twisting feeling in your gut for the big reveal of Sunny's secret (as he fakes being in a rock band with his best friends based on a miscommunication ten minutes into when Sunny met the love interest Cirrus), Super Fake Love Song still has that joking, silly feeling that Yoon gives his characters'
    Katie B

This book was a bit of a slow grower as I struggled with the premise at first. Around the halfway point or so I realized the positive aspects of the story outweighed the negative, and I settled into a good reading groove. Surprisingly, given the title, the romance is not the strength of the story. But the main character, Sunny Dae, is someone worth getting to know, in my opinion.

Sunny Dae admits he is a nerd. Along with his two best friends, Jamal and Milo, he plays Dungeons and Dragons
    Kristen
    11/18/20: REVIEW TIME!!
    Big thanks to Bookish First and the publisher for providing me with a beautiful finished copy of this, my most anticipated book of 2020... unfortunately, just like everything else in 2020, it sucked.

So there's irreverent and then there's POINTLESS. This book leaned heavily towards the uppercase word in that sentence. I read in the acknowledgements that this was Yoon's "fun" book, and I get that, I do. I've written things just for funsies too... only I wouldn't slap a $19 p
    Catherine Woodward
    Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    **Many thanks to BookishFirst, Penguin Teen/Putnam, and David Yoon for an ARC of this book!**

Sunny Dae (yes, that's really his name) has always been a nerd, a far cry from his wannabe rockstar older brother Gray who is out pursuing his dreams in LA. When he moves to a new town due to his entrepreneurial parents' unyielding ambitions, he finds brothers-in-arms in Jamal and Milo, and the trio stand up against full-time jock and part-time bully Gunner. Sunny's life takes a dramatic turn, however, w
    Jessica
    Dec 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I received an ARC of this book for free from the publisher (Penguin Teen). Since I received an ARC, my quotes from the book are tentative.

I had previously read Yoon’s other novel, Frankly In Love, and loved it, so I knew I had to pick this one up.

It should first be said that this book is different than Frankly in Love. This book is less serious and more light hearted, so don’t go into this book expecting it to be just like Frankly in Love.

I thought this book was so fun. I found the whole “fake
    Fanna
    October 17, 2020: It was fun to read!

↦ quick miscommunication leads to a string of teen lies that keep you nervously excited.
    ↦ adoration at first sight gradually evolves into genuine feelings.
    ↦ excellent character development as Sunny finds what he truly likes, finds himself, strengthens his current friendships, opens up the possibility of connecting to new people, and remains a proud nerd.
    diverse set of characters: Korean-American MC & love interest, Jamaican-American side character, Guat
    여리고
    Feb 14, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: owned, 2020-releases
    This feels like every other rom-com movies out there. One would think it's getting old. But I sure hope it still delivers. ...more
    Sylvie
    Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
    Yet another anticipated book that let me down.
    ♠ Tabi⁷ ♠
    Jul 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: edelweiss
    Lying leading to love?? Okay, let's see how disastrous this gets haha ...more
    human
    Nov 23, 2020 marked it as to-read
    *chuckles* oh, this is not gonna end well...
    Anniek
    I DNFd Frankly in Love, but I'm glad I gave the author a second chance, because I really enjoyed this one! Such a fun romcom!

I did miss a little more substance/emotional depth, hence the 3 stars
    Bethany
    Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
    Super Fake Love Song is a contemporary YA coming of age story about a nerdy boy who tries to impress the new girl by pretending he's in a band. Feelings develop, but his lies start to get a little out of control...

Sunny Dae is a total nerd, making cosplay how-to videos with his friends and living in a sterile feeling bedroom. So when cool new girl Cirrus mistakes his much cooler older brothers bedroom for his, he lets her believe she's right. And then has to convince his friends to create a fak
    Taschima
    Super Fake Love Song--The story about an insecure boy who decides to lie about who he is in order to get the cool new girl to like him. I was expecting more, specially after Frankly in Love (I remember being taken right away with the characters in the first few chapters). Ultimately I feel like Super Fake Love Song was the equivalent to a pop song (which the main character of course dislikes), easily digestible.

Super Fake Love Song has some introspection into what is ultimately real vs fake, the
    Lena
    Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2021, romance
    Yes and why is no one talking about this book? Not only is it amazing and super sweet, it also made my little Nerd heart incredibly happy
    Catie
    Dec 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I LOVED this -- possibly one of my favorite reads of 2020. David Yoon's writing is witty and weird and unashamedly dorky, but perhaps the greatest thing of all about this book is the loving, supportive male friendship that permeates every chapter. I love Milo and Jamal (and Gunnar!!!) forever, and I know that many teen boys will feel so seen by these sweet, sensitive, caring kids who are the antidote to toxic masculinity. ...more
    Kajree Gautom
    Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Ah this book!!! Super fake love song was my first from David Yoon and I absolutely loved this book! It narrates the story of Sunny Dae, who is a dorky nerd and makes diy role playing videos for the internet. So when he meets the very charming and intresting Cirrus who thinks Sunny is in a rock band, he continues on with the lie. With his best friends Milo and Jamal, they create a fake band until Sunny can carefully come out of his lie while also get the girl.

It is such a fun story. The characte
    Toya (the reading chemist)
    After seeing all the love for Frankly in Love, I immediately jumped at the opportunity to read Super Fake Love Song.

Yoon does an incredible job of taking a light hearted rom-com and infusing it with deep social themes such as race, class, identity, and role expectations (parental and sibling).

17 year old Sunny Dae is a Korean American and a HUGE nerd. We are talking DnD and LARPing. Sunny’s character shows us the many struggles that teens face with balancing school, one’s identity, and relation
    Lea (drumsofautumn)
    This book was just very much not for me. I can handle storyline of a relationship being based on a lie for a little bit but... it really took until the end for things to actually get resolved and that didn't leave enough space and time to actually do that.
    I was missing the part where the characters truly get to know each other and especially the part where the main characters properly apologizes and then him and his love interest get to actually build trust again.
    I just really want more in terms
    Elena L.
    Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Sunny Dae is considered a "nerd" person and when he encounters Cirrus Soh, he wants to be cool by pretending to be a front man of a rock band.

SUPER FAKE LOVE SONG is a lovely YA rom-com which is mainly about exploration and discovery of identity.
    We follow Sunny as he navigates through new hobbies and faces his fears. It is a journey which he finds himself and recognizes/deals with his shame. I really enjoyed the diverse cast of characters - Korean-American MC and his Jamaican-American and Guat
    biblio_mom (Aiza)
    Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
    It all begins one day when Sunny, the main character, met a girl named Cirrus. He kinda told her about being a part in a rock band when he's actually not 😆 From there on, he had to play pretend and intentionally and accidentally dragged other people into his game. An instant rock band was faked and everyone thinks he's cool. The biggest challenge is to perform LIVE at a local competition and he's supposedly win the girl's heart. But, could he? 🤔

💭 What I like about it? : How chessy his name is.
    Paperback
    Check out my initial thoughts of this book here: https://youtu.be/nnRBvkz8vQA

Ok I got this book in a book box and I never would have bought it for myself.
    Pleasantly surprised! Not your usual icky love story. A rom-com but more com than rom.
    It's the theme of this book that does it for me more than anything - finding out who you are and how others perceive you, and what that means to you.

3 stars
    Abbie | nerdyabbie
    Sep 14, 2020 rated it liked it
    A quick fluffy rom-com that explores and redefines the typical high school stereotypes!

I loved the length of this one! It wasn't too long, and it wasn't too short. It was just right for the story! Super Fake Love Song was a super swift, cute read that required little commitment (which I needed so bad right now, as I'm recovering from surgery). The book definitely played on the classic tropes and flipped them on their heads, which was enjoyable to read about. I loved seeing that the typical jock
    Nursebookie
    Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    This hilarious, romantic and diverse young adult contemporary read was completely endearing, and so much fun. This was one of my most anticipated reads this summer, and Super Fake Love Song definitely did not disappoint.

Sunny Dae and his friends love being complete nerds with each other until .... super cool Cirrus Soh enters into his life where all of a sudden, pretending to be his amazing Hollywood musician brother was the best thing to do to impress Cirrus. In this captivating, hilarious and
    Nazanin
    Dec 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
    I don't know what is with David Yoon books but they start out really great but towards the end they really drag on and get super boring.

This was your typical YA story of a guy faking his way for a girl to fall for him.

The Blonde Bookworm
    Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This story was super cute! And the characters were so silly but 100% lovable and hilarious. I loved how close and adorable the three boys were and a just wanted to be their fourth friend throughout the whole story. There were a few bits that were a little slow and that’s the only thing that kept me from a full 4 stars. But this one was really fun, lots of laughs and awkward giggles! Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Teen for my copy.
    Kristen (kraysbookclub)
    Dec 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
    And THIS is why YA is awesome!!! The main characters use of exaggeration and sarcasm just felt like I was coming home. This was adorable and funny and plain old awesome. It would be the BEST new teen movie!
    sol
    Jun 22, 2020 marked it as mehhhh-maybe
    why is literally no one talking about this?

authors people won't shut up about:
    -Sarah j. Maas
    -VE Schwab
    -Cassandra Clare
    -Brandon Sanderson

this book:
    *crickets*
    Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)

What silly thing have you done for love or just to get someone's attention? I think we've all been there at one point in our life. Did that something get a bit out of control? Sunny's sure did - and what a fun trip to take with him. What starts off fun and brings him surprising joy is just an escalation that is doomed to come crumbling down.

What a cutesy YA rom-com. We all know how these stories go and this holds true here as well. What makes this so much fun though are these absolutely adorable
    Ariel
    Nov 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: ya, bookishfirst
    This was my first book to read by David Yoon and it did not disappoint! The humor, the plot, the relatable (and sometimes cringey) characters made this book a delight to read.

What stuck out to me the most about this book was the humor. This book is written as if I'm really seeing into the mind of Sunny. We see into the mind of the main characters in most books, but the way this was written helped me to understand who the character was a little better. And, I had fun while getting to know him.

I a
    Rachel Kathryn Wright
    This one took me a while to get into because I didn’t really connect with the main character and it took a while for the plot to really progress. Even though I didn’t connect with the main character I did like him and he reminds of some people that I know. Also his friendship with Jamal Milo was really sweet and it felt real. The romance and love interest I didn’t really care for, I didn’t really think there was a connection there, and she was just not that interesting to me. And the reason for ...more
    Young Adult Conte...: #24 Super Fake Love Song by David Yoon 2 9 Dec 02, 2020 11:09AM
    Bookish First Rea...: Super Fake Love Song by David Yoon 5 18 Nov 23, 2020 07:59AM

• The Lies That Bind
    • The Honey-Don't List
    • Don't Stand So Close to Me
    • To Make Monsters Out of Girls (Things that Haunt, #1)
    • The Supervillain and Me
    • Date Me, Bryson Keller
    • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
    • Boy Queen
    • Turtle Under Ice
    • Ask the Passengers
    • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
    • The Bone Houses
    • How to Break an Evil Curse (Chronicles of Fritillary, #1)
    • Prom
    • Some Laneys Died (Skipping Sideways #1)
    • The Leaving
    • Take What You Can
    • Zenith Dream (Broken Moon #3)

Articles featuring this book

This May, as we celebrate Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, we wanted to take an opportunity to shine a light on some of the...
    “People, I realized, rooted for teams not necessarily because one was somehow fundamentally better than the other. They did it mostly just to belong. Because it was nice to belong to something, or someone.” 3 likes
    “Every superhero has an origin story. Every villain has an origin story. Every loser has an origin story, too.” 2 likes