Start by marking “Seven Moves” as Want to Read:
Seven Moves

Seven Moves

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Christine Snow, a successful Chicago therapist, sets out to find her vanished lover, the sultry and elusive travel photographer Taylor Hayes. Forging a trail that leads into the heart of Morocco, Seven Moves tracks Christine's gradual recognition that no one can ever really know another's soul. Bearing Anshaw's trademark style -funny, hip, and laser-sharp -this is "a tight ...more
Published November 14th 1997 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Moves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Moves

Manik Sukoco
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed aquamarine so I figured that this book would be just as good. Unfortunately, it wasn't.
First of all, Carol Ashnaw writes in a present tense. That got on my nerves a little bit but I learned to put it aside. Second, the book is whiny, everything Christine goes through is so melodramatic. She seems like a sad excise for a human being. I thought the concept would be good but it just isn't. I don't identify with Christine and I don't sympathize with her.
Ashnaw tends to jump around a
Martine
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Sloow slow slow slow slow. I expected more after loving "Aquamarine. For someone who loves texture it seems excruxiatingly detailed. I think it would have been a great short story and held greater depth and intensity with a dash more brevity.
Candace
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are a few authors whose work has so touched or moved or awed me that I have this tendency to hang onto their works, unread, saving them like some literary squirrel might hoard the very best nuts. Anshaw won her place in this group with her first novel, _Aquamarine_, and that, sadly, explains why it is 2017 and I have only just now cracked open the vintage 1996 nut that is her second novel, _Seven Moves_.

While the public's reviews for this book are not quite as glowing as for _Aquamarine_,
Lesbianfunworld Online
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A well written story, and yet... have you ever sat in a high-end coffee shop or restaurant and overheard a story at a nearby table? You spend your time listening into someone else's drama, intrigued and yet without commitment: you will never see this person again so you aren't emotionally involved in their tale of woe and insanity. That's how I felt reading Seven Moves. I never emotionally invested in the main character, Chris, but rather, in the story itself. I wanted to know how the story ende ...more
Macy
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. Anshaw's character development was excellent and it really made me feel like I had a good understanding of who everyone was; she really brought them all to life. Her vivid descriptions of their daily lives so closely paralleled reality that, at times, I felt like I was really experiencing them.

I will admit, however, that I was expecting (and really hoping!) that the book would end differently. It was slightly disappointing because I don't think I got what I *
Cecilia
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Seven Moves is a intriguing story of a woman, Chris, who's searching for her possibly missing lover. The lover, not known for her dependability or responsibility, might have just left the relationship, might be wandering about, or might actually have had something nefarious happen to her. Over the course of the search for answers, Chris finds out more than she bargained for about her lover's past and present. And, Chris herself enters into a new life as if her lover is never going to be heard fr ...more
Cassandra Greenwald
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
At first I thought Seven Moves wasn't a strong as Carol Anshaw's other novels (Carry the One being a true powerhouse), but then I found myself going back in my mind to the tiny turns of phrase and human details. I started to feel sad that I wasn't still reading it. I read it once already a few years ago but couldn't quite remember the twists and turns of the plot, but I did remember a lot of the great details (some are so haunting). The moment when you discover the title's meaning is truly a gre ...more
Karen
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this, but not as much as Carry The One. Was surprised that some elements from this novel were repeated in CTO -- visiting the bath house, using some of the same character names. It was well written, funny and interesting enough to hang with it, but I felt it needed a little more than just main disappearing lover plot. The ancillary characters were interesting enough to merit some deeper delving into their exploits.
Cheryl
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book surprised me. I didn't have great expectations. The story revolves around Chris after her lover of many years unexpectedly disappears. The author is so good as describing Chris, and what is going on in her head. Anshaw has wonderful insight and elegant prose. We really get to know Chris, and what it must feel like to not know where your loved one has disappeared to. SPOILER: I liked that the reader was left not knowing what happened to Taylor, just as Chris was left wondering.

Terry
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
This came highly recommended and I enjoyed Aquamarine, Anshaw's first book, but Seven Moves was very disappointing. I expected more of a thriller and suspense novel; instead it was a slow-moving psycho-sociological exploration which became very dull. Perhaps it was my expectations, but in any case this book let me down.
Amy Warrick
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it

Another broken arm review...I picked this up after enjoying Carry the One and found it very different. I thought it would be more of a standard mystery (what happened to Taylor?) but instead found an exploration of loss, what we know about our loved ones, and how we might deceive ourselves and others in love. It was smartly written but had a much more melancholy tone than Carry the One.
Amy
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I like her writing. It was easy to get into the book from an emotional level because we all tend to analyze why we think something happened and often aren't too kind to ourselves or others when doing so.
Cricket
I'm on a lesbian novel kick, and this was a good, though not great one. The relationship between the characters was kind of compelling, even though the characters themselves weren't tremendously developed.
Chris
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This is some of her earlier work...you can see glimpses of writing to come, but this pales in comparison to her elegant phrases of more recent works.
Patricia
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
one of the best books that i have ever read!
Cherie
Aug 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
B Not as captivating as Aquamarine, this novel tells the story of a woman's girlfriend who suddenly disappears…and how the narrator copes. Interesting.
Notcathy J
Jun 16, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"bad, cliched."
Betty Marshall
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
photographer in many lands and therapist form relationship. lesbian romance, thriller
Cortney
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
A solid, fun read. Not terribly deep, but sometimes that is just fine with me.
Lois Ann
Jul 05, 2012
Kylie
Nov 26, 2008
April
rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2012
  • The Big Bang Symphony: A Novel of Antarctica
  • A Seahorse Year
  • Terminal Velocity
  • Other Women
  • The Case of the Not-So-Nice Nurse (Nancy Clue & Cherry Aimless, #1)
  • I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2)
  • May Sarton: A Biography
  • Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction
  • The Metaphysical Touch
  • Naked in the Promised Land: A Memoir
  • Equal Affections
Carol Anshaw (born March 1946) is an American novelist and short story writer. Her books include Lucky in the Corner, Seven Moves and Aquamarine. Her stories have been anthologized in The Best American Short Stories in 1994 and 1998. She acquired her MFA at Vermont College of Fine Arts (1992). She has won a National Book Critics Circle Citation for Excellence in Reviewing, an NEA Grant, an Illinoi ...more
More about Carol Anshaw