Start by marking “The Memories We Bury” as Want to Read:
The Memories We Bury

The Memories We Bury

An emotionally charged and captivating novel about the complexities of female friendship and motherhood.

Lizzie Thomson has landed her first job as a music teacher, and after a whirlwind romance with Markus, the newlywed couple move into a beautiful new home in the outskirts of Edinburgh. Lizzie quickly befriends their neighbour Morag, an elderly, resourceful yet lonely wid
Published April 17th 2020 by EKT Selection Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Memories We Bury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memories We Bury

Start your review of The Memories We Bury
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the author, H.A. Leuschel, for an honest review.

Opinion:

“Why is it I seem to remember events that hurt me better than experiences id rather hold on to because they make me happy?”

description

The Memories We Bury is the first full novel by Helene Leuschel, but definitely not her first dive into psychological fiction. After reading her last collection of short stories, Manipulated Lives, I became obsessed with her ability to showcase the countless ways of manipulat
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews

The Memories We Bury was psychological fiction that revolved around neighbors Lizzie and Morag and their relationship that started sweet and turned bitter over the time. It was about obsession, manipulations, friendship, family, trust and betrayal. About danger that comes with trusting a stranger that comes under title ‘neighbor’ and its consequences, impact of childhood and its role in shaping person, controlling parents and their mistakes.
This was my 3r
Judith Barrow
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed The Memories We Bury and I like H.A. Leuschel's writing style. This is a riveting psychological read, with thoroughly rounded characters and an absorbing plot, sensitively woven throughout with themes of personal insecurity, trust, hope, duplicity and lies.
There are two main characters, Lizzie, the insecure young woman with a small baby, whose own childhood was blighted by manipulating mother. Now she is left to struggle mostly alone with motherhood by a husband who is only
Liz
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychological
Oh my… well, to give it to you short? A whole lot of uncomfortable and disturbing going on here… For the duration of the book (until the truth as such, that is), I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Emotionally charged and draining, it was impossible to tell who the unstable person was and who the victim. And such is real life too- we often see and accept the person by what appears on the surface, unwilling to believe anything malicious of them. Well, sometimes still waters run deep and ut ...more
Stephanie Jane
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits ...more
Cathy Ryan
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5*
The Memories We Bury is told from two alternating points of view—Lizzie, a young mother and Morag, widowed and a retired nurse, who live next door to each other—giving a good, but confusing, insight into each character. I say confusing because for the longest time I wasn’t sure how the story was going to develop.

Lizzie’s childhood was tainted by a cold, critical mother and a weak father. She always felt less than, never good enough, her mother’s obvious disappointment in her a constant theme
Fictionophile
I read the novella “My Sweet Friend” by this author in late 2017 and since then I’ve been eager to get a chance to read more of her writing. In addition, the effective and attractive cover design was eye-catching and made me want to read “The Memories We Bury“.

With skillful prose and a deep understanding of human nature, Leuschel has written a novel that explores the fine line between caring, insecurity, manipulation, and being supportive.

Though on the surface, this should have been a straight-f
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: August 27th 2020

"Trust is a fragile bird perched on a branch that is so dry it will break at the first unexpected breeze."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
josbookblog
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lizzie is a great character and one that I think most readers will like and sympathise with immediately – I felt genuinely angry on her behalf at times while reading this novel. She shares her memories of her childhood, and in particular her relationship with her mother, who was cold, distant, and constantly disappointed in Lizzie. I felt that this past explained her actions in the present. She’s a character who is looking for love from any quarter, and is prepared to accept quite a lot in order ...more
Jessica Townley
Nov 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you’re looking for a book that will have you with a permanent knot in your stomach throughout, then this is it!

It’s told from Lizzie and Morag’s point of view as we go back in time to see how events unfolded. Everything starts off well until little things start happening, comments are made and at times I just wanted to scream at Lizzie to make her realise what was happening.

This is definitely a character driven story as we delve into the backgrounds of both Lizzie and Morag, who each having t
Susan (The Book Bag)
Oh, you just know there are going to be secrets in a story with the title The Memories We Bury. Bury the memories and make up a new reality, how could that hurt anyone? Well, just wait until you read this book—you'll see how harmful that new reality can be. And everyone has secrets.

This story is a compelling read and definitely a page turner. I found myself constantly trying to figure out the characters and what their agendas were. Was Morag really as helpful as she appeared to be or did she ha
Vikki Patis
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book really got under my skin. With Leuschel's deep, intricate characters and beautiful writing, I was desperate to keep reading and discover the truth. Morag was such an interesting character, and her chapters were particularly gripping. Leuschel is the queen of suspenseful writing, leaving you with a sense of unease and bringing you entirely into the world she has created. ...more
Elizabeth Lloyd
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lizzie Thomson seems to have everything. Having recently started her first job as a music teacher in Edinburgh she is thrilled to be moving into her lovely new home with her husband, Markus. But Lizzie hides the sadness of her upbringing which has caused her to feel inadequate. Next door is Morag, a lonely widow who is estranged from her children. In alternate chapters we read, in the first person, the innermost thoughts of each of these women. But who is telling the truth? Is Morag to blame for ...more
Suzy Turner
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those kinds of books that will really get under your skin. It'll make you really think about how people can manipulate each other in ways you didn't even think possible...
Lizzie is a young new mother, perhaps a little naive, who has no-one to turn to when she needs support. Morag is a much older woman that doesn't appear to have anyone either. So when the two women meet, they form a bond of friendship. But what happens when that bond starts to delicately fracture?
The Memories We
Claire
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gift, ebooks
In The Memories We Bury, Lizzie Thomson has recently moved into her new home in Edinburgh with her husband Markus. Shortly after, Lizzie becomes pregnant unexpectedly with their first child, Jamie. She befriends their neighbour, Morag, a knowledgeable widow who longs for grandchildren. When Morag finds out that Lizzie is pregnant, she is thrilled for her. Markus becomes increasingly distant, forcing Lizzie to rely more and more on Morag, who takes on a grandmotherly role in Jamie’s life.

Each cha
Edna María
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lizzie Thomson, a young music teacher whose troubled childhood caused her deep insecurities in life, is now married to handsome, captivating and self-assured Markus. In spite of the differences between them everything seems going well until they discover Lizzie is expecting. They then, decide to move into a nice new home and start afresh.

Being a first-time mom Lizzie lacks the knowledge and skills she'll need in the near future, though, to her relief she meets her next door neighbor Morag, an el
Michael Miller
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This novel kept me up until 3:00 am. And as soon as I’m done writing this, I’ll be ordering H.A. Leuschel’s collection of short stories, 'Manipulated Lives.' Do I even need to say anything else?? But OH MY GOSH. This was absolutely fantastic! I’m going to be very, very careful with what I have to say because the novel unfolds in this masterful way with this slow, mounting tension and I don’t want to even come close to spoiling anything for anyone. Ok? Ok.

Reading 'The Memories We Bury' made me de
marnie | once upon a time book blog
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Wow what a read this is! This is my first book from H.A. Leuschel and it will most definitely not be my last! If you enjoy a book that is intense, compelling, powerful, riveting, gripping, haunting and thought provoking, then this is definitely the book for you!

Full of suspense, H.A. Leuschel has delivered a very chilling tale that deals with many themes, but fundamentality focuses on, as the blurb states, “complexities of female friendship and motherhood” It is a dark and interesting take on h
Melina Lobo
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Memories We Bury is a Contemporary/ Psychological Suspense novel by H.A. Leuschel.
Although the plot of the book was not hard to figure from the very beginning, the author does put a lot of effort to create a good build up as well as the perfect characters.
Lizzie is the newlywed and now mother of a beautiful baby who wants more help from her husband to raise the child while her husband puts the least amount of effort possible.
And Moraag is the helpful old neighbor who wants to help out the be
Audrey
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read the author's novella, My Sweet Friend, some time ago, and struggled to categorise it. The best I could come up with was 'relationship drama', which goes some way to describing her latest book. Except, this one – in my opinion – has a much darker edge and many more layers to examine.
Timid Lizzie struggles to cope with her new life in suburban Edinburgh. Husband Markus devotes most of his time to work and play, and her announcement that she is pregnant does not elicit the response she wante
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I knew I was going to enjoy this book as soon as I read the blurb. Enjoy was quite an understatement though. I really couldn't put it down! The three main characters are Markus, Lizzie and Morag. Markus and Lizzie mive next door to Morag, a woman whose family have grown up and moved away, so she is rather a lonely lady. Markus and Lizzie are a young married couple who, after moving in end up with Lizzie falling pregnant and having a little boy. For Morag, a motherly woman it is a dream come true ...more
Karen
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book introduces you to Lizzie, freshly married, moving in next door to Morag, a retired nurse.

With "The Memories We Bury", H. A. Leuschel has created an intense and thought-provoking story that kept me glued to my Kindle. Helene Leuschel introduces her characters as the story proceeds; I suddenly realised that I knew them quite well - or at least I thought I knew them. The main characters are complex - as well as believable. The story has a good flow; it certainly will not leave you unaffec
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Firstly I really like this cover. It caught my eye straightaway.

The story is told through two points of view - Lizzie and Morag. Lizzie is married to Markus and living next door to Morag who’s in her sixties. As Lizzie struggles as a new mum her neighbor Morag is keen to help them. I really don’t want to say much more about the story.

I absolutely loved it. Thought the storyline was brilliant although maybe on the creepy kinda side lol

Definitely one of those stories that makes you think! I’m l
Emily Quinn
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book should definitely win an award or two! I can’t quite believe the journey I’ve just had, but it’s been such an emotional reading experience. I connected to Lizzie and Morag’s characters so well, felt every emotion under the sun and was left in awe due to the author’s incredible story-telling skills. If you’re not ashamed of having a little cry, (because believe me, you will) and you’re looking for something that will hit you with powerful paragraphs, dialogue and all-round emotion, this ...more
Angi Plant
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very clever psychological drama from a new perspective. I enjoyed how this unfolded, as in the beginning the way the plot was woven made it look possible that Lizzie was unwell and transferring her previous life onto a new subject.

The main characters of Lizzie and Morag are both credible to start with and it explores how manipulation can be very slowly executed. I know from experience that this is the way very clever abusers work, and this is executed throughout as a believable story.

The final
Meredith Rankin
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ll admit it: It took me a while to get into the flow of this book. (This may reflect my current state of mind, rather than any problem with the storytelling.) Gradually, though, Lizzie and Morag’s story absorbed me until it commanded my entire attention. It’s a bit like how Morag gradually takes over Lizzie’s life . . . But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Narrative
There’s a lot of introspection from both women–perhaps too much?–particularly in the first part of the book. Not many big external
Lynne Piza
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
WOW! I didn’t know where this book was going, who to trust, who was the unstable one a really psychologically hitting read!

So we have Lizzie, who is in her late twenties, she’s a new mum to a young baby and has had a whirlwind romance! However she is insecure and has to manage the daily struggles of mainly managing to parent on her own as her husband Markus is completely selfish and only concerned by himself and his own life! She is so desperate to be loved and has had a tough upbringing!

You wil
Rajiv
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it

[Blog]::[Youtube]::[Twitter]::[Instagram]::[Pinterest]::[Bloglovin]

What a delightful, eerier, atmospheric story! It’s a simple, yet gripping psychological thriller about how someone you love and trust can manipulate your life.

The main highlight of the story is the two main characters, Lizzie and Morag. The author has written both of them in such a complex manner. However, my favorite character was Morag. Even though you know she how unpredictable she is, you still feel sorry for her at times
Satabdi
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was a twisted story indeed!

The Memories We Bury describes the growing friendship between a 64-year-old lady, Morag, and her new neighbor, Lizzie–who is newly-married and now pregnant.

Only, as the baby is born and Lizzie’s husband, Markus, is increasingly away from home due to the growing pressures at the workplace, Morag transforms into a controlling, manipulative woman.

A normally shy, introverted, and agreeable Lizzie finds herself fighting regain her independence but cannot fathom ho
Jessie Cahalin
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling read where clues, questions and shadows leap off the page. This novel could also be a healing read as it may prompt some to explore the haunting memories hovering in their minds because ‘the future always comes looking for the past.’

The novel examines the impact of our childhood on our psyche and shows how we can be drawn to certain people as adults because of our experiences. Loneliness and vulnerability draw together Morag, a pensioner, and Lizzie, a young mother. Morag desperately

• From Highlights to Lowlifes
  • The Boy Between: A Mother and Son’s Journey From a World Gone Grey
  • The Haunting at Bonaventure Circus
  • Saint Justice (Christopher Wren #1)
  • Nine
  • The Snow and the Works on the Northern Line
  • Tree Slayer (Tree Magic, #2)
  • The Chalet
  • One Fatal Night
  • Under Your Skin
  • The Matinée Murders (Provincetown, #6)
  • The Running Wolf
  • Whispers from the Dead of Night
  • The Heat
  • 337
  • Faye, Faraway
  • Familiar
  • The Dare
Helene grew up in Belgium where she gained a Master in Journalism & Communication, which led to a career in radio and television in Brussels, London and Edinburgh.
She now lives with her husband and two children in Portugal and recently acquired a Master of Philosophy with the OU, deepening her passion for the study of the mind.