Start by marking “Amphigorey Also (Amphigorey, #3)” as Want to Read:
Amphigorey Also (Amphigorey, #3)

Amphigorey Also (Amphigorey #3)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  4,026 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Contents: The Utter Zoo, The Blue Aspic, The Epiplectic Bicycle, The Sopping Thursday, The Grand Passion, Les Passementeries Horribles, The Eclectic Abecedarium, L'Heure bleue, The Broken Spoke, The Awdrey-Gore Legacy, The Glorious Nosebleed, The Loathsome Couple, The Green Beads, Les Urnes Utiles, The Stupid Joke, The Prune People, and The Tuning Fork
Published April 1st 1993 by Mariner Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Amphigorey Also, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amphigorey Also

Anthony Vacca
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Almost as top-notch a collection as Amphigorey and Amphigorey Too, and better than his final, posthumous collection, Amphigorey Again. There’s no knack for word wizardry nor elan for illustration that I haven’t already praised and expounded upon in the previous reviews for Gorey's work linked above. As always, Gorey's art is a heady delight for the eyes, ears and mind, and in this collection I unabashedly adored The Loathsome Couple, was happily horrified by The Stupid Joke, couldn't help but be ...more
Patrick
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
Anywhere you open up an Edward Gorey book, you will immediately be punched in the mouth by Rad. The highlight of this book was "The Sopping Thursday," the most powerful story of a man losing his umbrella you will ever see.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I haven't read all the Amphigorey books (not that the order of them matters), but this one happened to be sitting around in my grandma's house, so ... I sat down and read the whole thing, which didn't take long. Edward Gorey has always been one of my favorite illustrators, and I love his dark sense of humor. There were a couple stories in this anthology that I found a little ... over-the-top (particularly a really disturbing one about a couple who murder children––yikes) but for the most part I ...more
dianne
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My partner thinks i'm an easy grader - yet ANOTHER 5 star book? Yup. Gorey is a genius. Not only is his art gripping, hilarious, inexplicable, and just a little creepy in a schadenfreude sort of way, but the terse, lean writing is perfect. What a pleasure. Why did it take me so long to read this?
Chris
Apr 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-strips
If Gorey ever did something that WASN'T brilliant, I haven't seen it.
Antonomasia
Re-read (rare).
I'm not sure I'll ever quite be able to separate Edward Gorey's work from the person who introduced me to it - and at least half of this post is about that. Inside it is the frisson of having found someone/thing perfect like I had always been looking for. But the flipside. The precision of the words and art bound up with an overwhelming effort, fumbling in the dusk, to say and write the right thing, and the annoyance and coldness a small error may bring. (Gorey is evidently influ
Amanda
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I may be missing out on the allure of Edward Gorey. While his art is incredibly unique and haunting, the actual stories, to me, leave a lot to be desired. For every collection that is decent, there are several that are completely nonsensical, and not really in a good way. They don't make sense, and instead of being fun, they just make me wonder why I'm reading it in the first place.
Suzanna Juby
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Edward Gorey's artistry and macabre storytelling when I was a teenager. I own several Amphigorey compilations and have lost count of the number of times I've read them.
Alan Mizell
The artwork is brilliant, wonderful but for me much of the writing leaves me wishing it was more direct. The various alphabets and a few of the stores were interesting, and some of the collections along a theme, but too many of the chapters were nonsensical stories with no clear beginning, middle or end. I suppose for Gorey fans this is part of the charm but it leaves me wanting, and glad I picked the book up used for one dollar. But again the art is superb, and perhaps worth the price of the bo ...more
Sally Anderson
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gobbled this up in a day! So bizarre and addicting and brilliant and just plain other. Also disturbing? But oh my gosh, I am LOVING Edward Gorey and can't wait to read and see more of his work. I especially liked the first half of this graphic novel -- The Utter Zoo and The Epiplectic Bicycle were particular favorites.
James Adams
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ha-tbr-2017
As much as I love Gorey's work, this book shows his tendency to return to the same wells one too many times. The dark whimsy, alphabetical games, and silly wordplay only go so far this time around, but there are still a few gems, esp. The Stupid Joke. Absolutely worth a look for fans, but there's a fair bit of dross here.
Samantha
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: socastee-library
Well, that was one of the strangest things I've ever read.
Punk
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
A collection of some of Gorey's lesser known works. Gorey, of course, being known for his dark humor, whimsy, and incredibly detailed pen and ink crosshatching. Let me attempt to describe these for you.

The Utter Zoo - Alphabet filled with fantastic creatures and rhymes. I love that he only shows about half the creatures. That is, not all of them are shown, and many are only half visible. That's one of the best things about Gorey's art; he only shows as much as you need to see.

The Blue Aspic - Fa
Kathy Worrell  ツ
I must admit that I have a love of limericks, they are usually quite clever and funny.

Edward Gorey was one of those very talented limerick writers.

But, (imho) this collection of stories is rather haunting and ominous.

Where is the amusing poetry? The sharp verse?

Someone missed the boat. I think it was me.
James
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a child, I was exposed to Mr. Gorey through the animated introduction of Mystery as hosted by Vincent Price, I believe. While Mystery made me a lifelong fan of Price from youth, it would be sometime before I would "rediscover" Gorey and make the connection. Still, the imagery stuck with me and when I did notice a poster with similar art many years later, I sought out the artist and thus my interest was born.

This collection might not be of Gorey's most famous works, but it is none the worse f
Victoria Moore
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers, fashion enthusiasts
"Amphigorey Also" by Edward Gorey is an eccentric visual slice of fantasy created by a prolific illustrator and quixotic writer who definitely knows how to bring out one's inner child. Rendered in black and white gothic glamour I particularly admired "The Letter Zoo Alphabet" and the way Gorey matched the rhyming nonsense text with the illustrations. It would be a wonderful story to read to children who are learning the alphabet and their letters. Two of the most gothic and elegant tales, "The ...more
Ella
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Edward Gorey book. I bought this at a big chain shop from their sale table for the price of a cup of gas station coffee. Best dollar I ever spent.

In high school when I was really into drawing, cross hatching was my favorite method of shading. Especially with extremely fine point pens. I loved the way the pen would leave ruts in the paper of my sketchbook.
The art in this book reminds me of high school..... nostalgia.

Also.. who couldn't love things like all the drawings of bat
Melanie
Jun 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adults only
Overall, I enjoyed this book. I grew up watching programs on Mystery! so I was familiar with Gorey's work from a young age. I've always liked his style and quirks. I just got this book a few days ago and have had time to go through it. The drawings and alphabets are all pretty standard Gorey...meaning they're diverting and intriguing. I did take issue with a story involving a couple who's "life's work" is to murder children and take pictures of the process. Although it may come across as being o ...more
Icats
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Read about Embley and Yewbert’s adventure in the Epiplectic Bicycle. Brush up on the alphabet in The Utter Zoo, The Glorious Nosebleed and The Eclectic Abecedarium. Learn how the famous mystery writer, Miss D. Awdrey-Gore, of such great titles, The Pincushion Affair, The Toothpaste Murder, and The Dustwrapper Secret, pieced together the perfect tale of mystery. This Amphigorey book also highlights Gorey’s artistic and creative talent with his superbly macabre illustrations. I particularly enjoye ...more
Bonnie
Jul 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've always loved Edward Gorey's macabre Victorian style art. However, I was disappointed to discover, through reading this book, that his writing skills don't quite match his art skills. Most of the time, the captions were supposed to create a story, but they really didn't make any sense, so after I finished the book, I was...underwhelmed.

I decided to 'read' through a second time, ignoring the words entirely, and just focusing on the art: much more enjoyable.

As a book, this probably doesn't r
Sherry (sethurner)
Edward Gorey may be most known to people who watch Mystery! on PBS, since he created the opening credits. I remember seeing his drawings at my grandmother's house, perhaps in Readers Digest Condensed books. Later, I tried (and failed) to find the book because Stephen King recommended it. It has been republished, a compilation of a dozen short graphic books, all peopled with the waif-ish hollow-eyed Victorian men, women, and creatures from his gothic imagination. This book is a wicked delight.
Kate
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
At times totally disturbing, and at other times perfectly charming. Two whole sections about bicycles! One story about a man so obsessed with opera that he starts killing people, finally stabbing his favorite soprano (she sings, amazingly, 'the A above high C') in the throat. There is also a plethora of cute, but sad, imaginary animals: 'The Posby goes into a trance, In which it does a little dance (illustration of a little sad Posby dancing in front of a grammaphone).
Skyqueen
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ohhh. My. Word! If I had known you could write and actually get published a brilliant, nonsensical, whimsical, but altogether intelligent book . . . perhaps I would have done so myself!!! I Know. I Know. Quite egotistical of me. But, truly a parallel to some of the way I think. Which means, no body every "gets" me!! Oh well. Delightful book. Even if I am late to the party. Just like I was to Dorothy Parker. Would not they have made a pair??!!
Orrin Grey
Jul 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Though long familiar with his artwork, this and The Unstrung Harp were my first exposures to Edward Gorey's writing. I liked them, and here I was especially fond of his alphabets. "It was in the trunk Presumably."
Jillian
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, ots-challenge
I enjoyed this one a bit more than Amphigorey Too. It still has a few nonsensical letdowns, but also an array of both nonsensical and sensical (but never sensible) gems, along with the always excellent illustrations. I'm a fan of his art and his alphabets especially. My favorite selections were "The Utter Zoo," "The Epileptic Bicycle," "The Passementeries Horribles," "Cycling Cards," "The Glorious Nosebleed," "The Stupid Joke," and "The Prune People."
Challa Fletcher
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Do you say you read Gorey or you viewed it? The stories were eyebrow raising and creepy and the art match. other parts where where crazy alphabet illustration. stories abruptly ended. some had no words at all. I said all that to say how absorbed I was by this book. I would def buy this book or his work in general. I haven't read the first two books but they are coming. if you want a different kind of read than give this thing a shot.
ruby
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Edward Gorey is one of my inspirations in life. His pen and ink style influenced my art and his dark humor touches my soul. I like the creep factor and that he, sometimes, makes you uncomfortable. I love his poetry and prose style and think the artist and the poet could never have been better matched.
Anna
A disappointing sequel in the series of Amphigorey. I only sort of enjoyed two of the stories therein ("The Utter Zoo" and "Les Passementeries Horribles"). I just couldn't follow a lot of the nonsense in here, probably all with references that are too dated for me. It also just seemed more absurd rather than surreal. Ah well, only one more volume left. Hopefully it isn't any worse.
Craig Shields
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, drawing
Varied collection of illustrations and poems that vacillates between sad, creepy, and morbid, with a sense of dark humor and absurdity throughout. Much preferred to the Tim Burton collection I recently read. I'm not familiar with Gorey's work, but this was a good appetite-whetter.
Eling
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Definitely need to own this book, and probably the other Amphigoreys as well. Gorey's writing is intelligent & funny, but the detail of his artwork requires returning to the book & its illustrations again and again to fully appreciate it.
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover for Here 3 12 Dec 19, 2014 05:46PM
  • Elephant House; or, the Home of Edward Gorey
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head  Other Drawings
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Donald Has a Difficulty
  • Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey
  • My Crowd
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Julius Knipl, Real Estate Photographer
  • 12 Terrors of Christmas
  • The Morning Star: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine is Illuminated (Morning Star Trilogy, #3)
  • Kramers Ergot #5
  • Work Is Hell
  • Little Nemo: 1905-1914
  • Hauntings: Tales of the Supernatural
  • A Baroque Fable
  • The Frank Book
  • Quimby The Mouse
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more
More about Edward Gorey...

Amphigorey (4 books)
  • Amphigorey (Amphigorey, #1)
  • Amphigorey Too (Amphigorey, #2)
  • Amphigorey Again (Amphigorey, #4)
“I thought it was going to be different;
It turned out to be(,) just the same.”
2 likes