Start by marking “The Simplicity Principle: Six Steps Towards Clarity in a Complex World” as Want to Read:
The Simplicity Principle: Six Steps Towards Clarity in a Complex World

The Simplicity Principle: Six Steps Towards Clarity in a Complex World

Modern life is complicated, much more so than it used to be. Acclaimed author and social entrepreneur, Julia Hobsbawm, shows you a simpler way.

The Simplicity Principle challenges the assumption that all things that are complex have to stay that way. It helps keep things as lean, simple and focused as possible.

Smartphone users experience concentration interruptions every 12
Published April 3rd 2020 by Kogan Page

To ask other readers questions about The Simplicity Principle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Simplicity Principle

Start your review of The Simplicity Principle: Six Steps Towards Clarity in a Complex World
Richard Propes
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
"The Simplicity Principle: Six Steps Towards Clarity in a Complex World" explores simplicity in an increasingly complex digital age and challenges the assumption that all things that are complex have to stay that way.

Written by Julia Hobsdawm, an entrepreneur and writer who often writes about the problems and solutions of adults in the machine age, has been described as "one of the most important public intellectuals in the U.K." and was awarded an OBE in The Queen's Birthday Honours for servic
Catherine
May 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
For a book on simplicity this is one of the most incoherent books I have ever read. Yes it follows the structure of 6 but of course there are not really 6 steps there are 6 sub sections to each area plus a bunch of add ons of more lists of 6 things you should do in the final chapters. The book got more and more rambling as it went on like it was an insight into the authors thoughts throughout the day that she just happened to write down with no adherence to the very principles she tries to outli ...more
Tõnu Vahtra
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Snowflakery (it's a thing), midfullessness, hexagons and why we should be honeybees or ants instead... this book is too much on the esoteric side of the spectrum for me as a mostly rational person, in general it felt oversimplified and naive at times. In rare cases low Goodreads rating (2.96 at the moment of writing) does not mean that the book is not good in some surprising way - this is not one of those cases and you are better of reading some other book on productivity and balanced mental sta ...more
Dora Okeyo
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Here's the thing: This book advocates for simple living, and doing so by exploring 6 principles for better living. This is great, however, I have to admit that I loved that the author took her time in explaining how and why these principles matter. So, this is not a book to read in a sitting- it's the book club kind of book, that demands your attention and your focus and honesty. It is the kind you read in bits and question, reflect, note and act upon insights.
I learned something new about 6 bei
Paul
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author is obviously extremely bright, and there are some excellent ideas here, including using bees as a running theme. We need more simplicity and it can be a true challenge to achieve and maintain. While I didn't find most of the suggestions and ideas applicable to me, they're valid and will likely help a number of readers.

Thanks very much for the ARC for review!!
Fran Cormack
Jun 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This book had some useful nuggets of information, but nothing new. And trying to force everything into “sixes” felt a trifle forced.
Miguel Panão
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lot of interesting material covered in the Simplicity Principle. An excellent starting point to begin reviewing your life through the eyes of simple and profound mindset changes.
Matt Rose
Sep 29, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a waste of paper.
Kirsten is tired
An intensely complex book that wants to teach you about clarity. I struggled a lot with this, to be honest.
Chris Edmondson
DR. NONYELUM
Jan 03, 2021

• Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
  • Wall of Silence
  • When I Die I'm Going to Heaven 'Cause I've Spent My Time in Hell: A Memoir of My Year As an Army Nurse in Vietnam
  • Cute Critter Purses to Crochet
  • Falling Free: Rescued from the Life I Always Wanted
  • Everything Happens for a Reason: And Other Lies I've Loved
  • These Women
  • RHS Get Growing: A Family Guide to Gardening Inside and Out
  • Kitchen Garden Revival:A modern guide to creating a stylish, small-scale, low-maintenance, edible garden
  • Superstitions: A Handbook of Folklore, Myths, and Legends from around the World