Start by marking “The Starved Rock Murders” as Want to Read:
The Starved Rock Murders

The Starved Rock Murders

Book
Published October 1st 1982 by Utica House Pub Co (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Starved Rock Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starved Rock Murders

Lenora Carey
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
The author gives a account of what happened. He fails to tell about all the evidence that was damaged and could not be used in court. Also, what about the missing evidence and/or damaged evidence that was not secured in our court system. This really messed things up for the poor man who was accused and entitled to a have the case retried. Someone made sure to destroy his chances for fear that the cover up would be uncovered.
NeverendingReader
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
One star for the research that was put into this book. Otherwise it was garbage. The writing was bland, boring, and just plain awful. I picked this up to learn more about the area I live in and I wish I would have just done some internet research instead. I was looking for an unbiased opinion of the case, that is not what I got. I highly recommend not wasting your time.
Erin
Dec 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Pretty creepy story and I've been there many times because my grandma lives very close to Starved Rock.
Robyn Gautschy
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finished this book yesterday and really liked it! I love a good true crime story, and the fact that this happened in a familiar place made it all the more intriguing. It was interesting to see how crimes were investigated and tried in the early 1960s, and as a journalist, I was especially amused by the role the media played in this high-publicity case. It was sensationalism and fake news at its prime! Pre-internet, it would have been very difficult to know who was plagiarizing, who was stretch ...more
Jeffrey Miller
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Steve Stout's insightful account of the Starved Rock Murders is a riveting journalistic triumph. I'm surprised that no one has made a movie of this tragedy and the efforts of law enforcement to find the killer.
Amy Stumpf
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid 3.5 stars out of 5. Anyone who lives or grew up in the LaSalle county area should read this book.
Mike Murray
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting chronicle of the story of the murders, including events prior to them and the court case after. It's factual writing, not the most interesting, but not terrible either.
K.C. Wells
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing wasn't great, so it was a little difficult to get through. The case itself is fascinating, though, especially knowing it took place not too far from here. After reading it, I honestly don't know if the man convicted is guilty.
Phyllis
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a reporter's well-researched and detailed chronology of the infamous Starved Rock (IL) triple murders in the 1960's. Steve Stout has done an outstandingly accurate job of reporting the facts - all the facts - that were known at the time, all the while refraining from personal opinion. The only facts that I would have liked to see researched and reported on would be more insight into who Chester was: early days, early associations, school, family. That insight into the man accused and con ...more
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this because this month was the 50th anniversary of the triple-homicide at Starved Rock. I've been there several times, and thought it would be interesting to catch up on some local history. This book supplies transcripts of the interviews and court appearances that took place. So sad that the three victims left for their hike that day with no idea of the dangerous stranger that they would meet along the way.
Lisa Litberg
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Interesting but somewhat poorly-written account of a crime startling for it's time and setting. Most interesting to me is the controversy surrounding the alleged killer's conviction--many, including the killer himself, maintain that he is innocent,despite much evidence to the contrary. A google search of the killer's name highlights this debate in forum discussions. Much of the book is interviews and court transcripts.
Lainee Day
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think Weger is guilty after reading this book. He was the first one to mention the plane and they had to look into it after that. Plus, his story changed twice. What he told on the stand and what he tells today are completely different stories.....It was a good read. I had never heard of this case and I have lived in LaSalle County for most of my life.
Melissa Clark (The Lesbian Bookworm)
It was an interesting story. It really creeped me out that this is a true story and that they might not have put the right man in prison. I personally think that Weger committed the crime. This is not a well written book and it goes slow.
Mike Slayton
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The "go to" book to learn about this tragedy. The circumstances and investigation of the 1960 triple murders at a well known state park is documented. The era before Miranda warnings and CSI type forensics is hard for the 21st century reader to comprehend, but indeed it was a different time.
Samuel Cabrera
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
this book is about this man that killed 3 middle aged women on a mountain that so long ago indians were up there and starved to death that is why they called it the starved rock murdersit is interesting if you live in ilinois.
Sarah Ewald
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Scary episode in Illinois history... I was 6 when the murders of 3 women in this picturesque park happened. Riveting telling of the murders and trial.
Rebecca
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Never knew this happened. Interesting to read how they went about solving crimes back in a day where there wasn't the modern techniques we have today.
Margie King
Dec 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If your from or live in the Illinois Valley you must read! My mom is mentioned in it.
Jill Cisar
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a true story that takes place near my home town. I also got married at Starved Rock. I had to do a report on this book in college but just recently re-read it. Still a great book!
Kasey Mathis
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Starved Rock is where we took yearly family vacations. Reading about it's creepy past puts it in a whole new light! Still it remains one of my favorite places & I can't wait to go back!
Chris Turek
Nov 07, 2008
Zomgdanielle
Oct 17, 2014
Stacie Hobbs
Jan 30, 2017
Sandie Smith
rated it did not like it
May 22, 2014