Start by marking “Lunch with Lucy: Maximize Profits by Investing in Your People” as Want to Read:
Lunch with Lucy: Maximize Profits by Investing in Your People

Lunch with Lucy: Maximize Profits by Investing in Your People

Transformational Leadership Through Empathy

When entrepreneur Sherry Deutschmann first decided to start a business, she knew she wanted to build something totally different. In her first book, Lunch with Lucy, Sherry tells the story of the creation of that company, LetterLogic, and how she turned it into a $40-million company by putting employees first—even ahead of custome
Published March 10th 2020 by An Inc. Original

To ask other readers questions about Lunch with Lucy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lunch with Lucy

Start your review of Lunch with Lucy: Maximize Profits by Investing in Your People
Wendy
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm on a culture kick right now, devouring books on organizational culture, so getting the opportunity to review "Lunch With Lucy," by Sherry Deutschmann, was a real treat. Sherry's entire book is written in the tone of a friendly mentor sharing her trade secrets with her reader. Not surprisingly, Sherry's recipe for success can be distilled down into five words: take care of your people. The surprising part for me is just how much opposition she's faced in trying to implement this principle thr ...more
Thomas Kelley
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a interesting read even for someone who is not a business owner or entrepreneur. The book is structured like a three course menu with dessert at the finish. At the beginning of each chapter you have a list of ingredients or talking points or actions and at the end of the chapter with words of wisdom in takeout boxes.

This follows the authors struggles to find sufficient jobs to take care of herself and her daughter she is raising as a single parent. Most of her jobs revolve around s
Kristina Aziz
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Adorable and enjoyable read

Sherry is such a dreamer, it almost hurt to read about her choice to take her three year old and pursue a singing career with very little experience. I mean, I know Trump somehow got a high paying job with zero experience, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

So we have Sherry, a single mother with $200 and a knack for cleaning toilets. She's approached by a headhunter, goes to see this office where there is exactly no plan whatsoever in place (but they have faith! A
Rhoda
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lunch with Lucy (Sherry Stewart Deutschmann) should be required reading for anyone who wants to build or maintain a great culture at work. This is written from the entrepreneur’s viewpoint, but the underlying theme of empathy can be administered by anyone in any workplace. Multiple times the author gives examples of how people who are at the bottom of a traditional org chart were often the most critical to the work and to the culture of LetterLogic.

Because that person at the bottom of the org c
Divya
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The description for this book was interesting and I wanted to learn more about the employee first culture that the author describes. The premise of the book is pretty simple and the author illustrates her points using the experiences she had running her company LetterLogic. The anecdotes are engaging and the author makes the point that these are universally applicable in principle if not exactly as policies. The author is clearly connected to her team and her care shows, though it would have als ...more
Bethany
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are starting an entrepreneurship journey or looking to be a better leader in your company, Lunch with Lucy is a phenomenal place to start.

Lunch with Lucy is about the kind of leaders employees crave and how to become one. It is written in accessible, non CEO language. It is about more than leadership. There are basic human people skills built in that many people need to work on. There are business building blocks in there too.

I love this book. I cannot say enough good things about this
Muhammad Ali
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given that I am not an entrepreneur, I was suspicious if this book was for me, but as it turns out I couldn’t be more wrong. My favorite chapter is the one on the Power of Saying No, the other ones were close calls as well.

The standout from the book is it’s conversational / storytelling style, honest and openness about the mistakes and the key takeaways. And off course it’s a balanced book in the sense it is transparent as it recommends the leadership methods and techniques whilst advising when
Laurie Guzman
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a fellow woman business owner, reading this book inspired me, reminded me of what I needed to do so much more of. The book shares so many incredible ways to acknowledge your people who ultimately are the driving force of your company. This book was a gift and the timing of reading it was so invaluable. I am more determined then ever to implement ways to recognize my employees even more . Sherry's strength and conviction to love on her people is a true testimony to why she is as successful and ...more
Faith
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Every entrepreneur should read this and take it to heart. If all businesses worked this way what a wonderful world this would be. I worked for a business that was completely opposite of this. The company hired someone who started bringing the company around to the "Lucy" way. Things were going well. Then the owner's son-in-law got in his ear and made a 180 degree turn. The company became an awful place to work and after 26 years with the company, I walked away.
Oh, to work for Lucy!
Amber Coulson
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I liked this book. It was very Sheryl Sandberg-esq without the emphasis on female leadership. Not that female leadership isn’t implicit in the book because the author is a woman but it’s mostly about utilizing the people, male or female, in your circle to further your business. She makes some fairly simple points but she shows real examples of how they’ve worked to actually increase productivity while also making her feel like a decent human for making those changes.

It’s a call to change and I
Hannah Boyd Ferdinand
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Basically, I want to work for Sherry. This has been tremendously helpful in making my needs as an employee feel seen and it gives me great hope that there ARE companies out there who care about their employees. Currently trying to get out of one that doesn’t care about their employees, but this gives me hope!
Maj
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is spot on! Simply written (a fast read) with a powerful message: Take care of your people and they will take care of the business!

The author's main message can be summarized in 2 bullets:
a) It's not about putting the customer first, it IS about creating an environment in which everyone realizes opinion and input is valued, and they truly do contribute to the overall success.
b) People closest to the problems are also closest to finding creative solutions.

What brings the book to life m
Rachel
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I loved this book, I was hungry to finish it! Previously a manager in business, I found the concept of her business brilliant and interesting. This is an excellent book for anyone to read, feels like the author is speaking directly to the reader. Highly recommend.
Julie
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway and while I'm not an entrepreneur this was a really good resource for me in my current career path. I can definitely apply what I've learned to what I do daily with my own team. ...more
Todd
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written in an engaging, humorous tone, this book is a perfect introduction to innovative human resources practices. I would recommend it to small business owners, entrepreneurs, operations professionals, and anyone else who would like to know why investing in people makes good business sense.
Lisa K
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I love this book. What a refreshing take on leadership. You can see how deep the empathic culture runs in the author's business. She makes it seem very achievable for companies to take such better care of their employees.
Thank you for the copy I received through a Goodreads Giveaway.
Tracy
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Compelling proof that "people before profits" CAN work. ...more
Melissa
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great. Helpful and beneficial. Easy to understand. I agree.
Csimplot Simplot
Jun 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. Great advice that you can use both in business and personal life. I was engrossed from beginning to end. I will definitely recommend it.
Rachelle
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
Lunch with Lucy... an inspiring journey following one female entrepreneur as she recounts business savvy strategies she employed throughout her career. Successes, challenging and difficult moments, and her signature lunchtime conversations with employees to casually gather honest opinions of the company's operations- what works and what doesn't- are all discussed. ...more
Deidre Butkus
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The description pulled me in but Sherry’s story telling is what got me hooked on this book. The simple steps she has taken to run her business as a CEO can easily translate to any individual working in any business. Loved the book and will be referencing it for many years to come.
Tatiana

• Dancing Through Life: Indulge Your Dreams and Pursue Life's Possibilities
  • Gutsy Women Win: How to Get Gutsy and Get Going
  • In a Dark, Dark Wood
  • The Innovator's Spirit: Discover the Mindset to Pursue the Impossible
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Diamond Fire (Hidden Legacy, #3.5)
  • Innovation on Tap: Stories of Entrepreneurship from the Cotton Gin to Broadway's Hamilton
  • Beard in Mind (Winston Brothers, #4)
  • Crooked House
  • The Library of Lost and Found
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Little Bookshop of Murder  (A Beach Reads Mystery, #1)
  • The Poetry of Good Eats
  • Guilty as Cinnamon (A Spice Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Chai Another Day (A Spice Shop Mystery #4)
  • Killing Thyme (A Spice Shop Mystery, #3)

News & Interviews