Start by marking “Culture Shock (The Gunn Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Culture Shock (The Gunn Files, #1)

Culture Shock

(The Gunn Files #1)

Aliens are among us, and Austin, Texas just got a whole lot weirder.

When smart-aleck, down-on-his-luck bounty hunter Anderson Gunn snags his next job, he’s just happy to get the gig. The target he’s chasing may be wanted for murder, but his bills aren’t going to pay themselves.

As it turns out, he probably should've been more selective. When he tracks down Cameron Kovak, th
Published April 7th 2020 by Aethon Books (first published April 1st 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Culture Shock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Culture Shock

Start your review of Culture Shock (The Gunn Files, #1)
Meenaz Lodhi
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a mesmerising read, I was hooked from the beginning! The narrative is so fluid with a pragmatic approach, the easy going personality of the main character in first person is a fresh look into his living style and his outlook towards life, a great character and world building, the story starts immediately with the a case, making the combination of both his life and plot very captivating. Pride, stubbornness kept him going, with help from his best friends, he makes a mind blowing discovery! I ...more
Troy Osgood
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent modern world sci-fi. Fun with consistent and entertaining characters. Can't wait for the next book. ...more
Yvonne Kanocz
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a touch of Men in Black with a bounty hunter. Anderson Gunn will not stop till he has caught his guy, even if he is an alien. I enjoyed the book, the characters are likeable and the plot is good. Looking forward to the next book in this series.
Jenny
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable, light-hearted read with great characters and an unusual plot. As usual, this author has made a very readable book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and am looking forward to the next book!
Asiaman
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not your average sci fi or mystery book. A tale of aliens that have been living on earth but were clocked to look like humans. A bounty hunter gets to become an alien hunter in a very entertaining read. This one will keep your interest all the way to the end.
Jason
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anderson Gunn is a down on his luck Bounty Hunter. He has his own business in Austin Texas and gets his bounties from a friend called Alek. Alek notices that Gunn isn’t doing great, so offers him a job, a simple one, but at the same time, a bit harder, to hunt down and bring in a bail jumper, who is now wanted for Murder, his name is Cameron Kovak.
Gunn, being desperate for money (He has just had a note saying he missed his rent, and bills are due, and things are not good), jumps at the opportuni
Karen Siddall
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Anderson Gunn is a bounty hunter in Austin, Texas. With an office down on East Sixth Street, he is smack in the middle of the “Keep Austin Weird” culture of the capital city, and it is his kind of place. However, a series of financial burdens, including paying off his mother’s final medical bills, are threatening his solvency and ability to keep his office open and his head above water. So when a long-time client, bail bondsman Alek Ludwig, sends some lucrative work his way, one of Ludwig’s clie ...more
Cmoore
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This review is for the audio version... that hasn't been listed on the Goodreads page!
I really had a great time listening to this intense, adrenaline boosted tale! The story jumps right into the action when our protagonist, a bounty hunter named Anderson Gunn, takes on the job of finding Cameron Kovak, a runner who's wanted for murder. There's hazard pay on top of his usual percentage, so Gunn is more than willing to take on this high-stakes job, especially since he's facing an empty bank accou
Brian Williams
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Throwback to Saturday Matinee SciFi Fun

Sooo...it is early August 2020. There is a pandemic, countrywide protest, political strife, and the worse unemployment in living memory. I NEEDED AN ESCAPE...and M.G. Herron's first book of this new series "Culture Shock," provided exactly that!

This is a quick book. Plot is fun, moves fast, story driven, likable characters, good alien villian, and takes place in my home city, Austin TX. Anderson Gunn is the bounty hunter protagonist who is in financial str
John
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has it all! Love that it all took place in Austin (I've been lucky enough to have visited many times and could picture the story in my mind). Aliens, I mean come on, Aliens! The characters, OMG, so good! Anderson Gunn the bounty hunter shows more emotion than just some tough guy, which I found so engaging. The secret alien society, yes please and thank you.
I thought I knew who one of the characters was (someone who writes a UFO based "blog" I'll call it) and damn, I was wrong, such gre
Steve
May 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Picked this up as a change of pace, as I have historically liked a good gumshoe, and the aliens added some potential zing. Alas, Elmore Leonard (with aliens) this is not.

Problem was, I didn't like the MC. I'm sure the author was going for something more sophisticated than obnoxious and irresponsible, but that's how he came across to me. Add to that a story that while competently written overall didn't have that je ne sais quoi that makes it work for me, leads us to the 3 stars I gave it. Honestl
V.L. Stuart
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Culture Shock by M.G. Herron is a sort-of combination of Sam Spade detective story and “Men-in-Black”. A mix-up of hard detective and alien-on-the-loose-Texas thriller.

Andy Gunn is a skip tracer working for a bail bondsman and his latest assignment is to track down a man fleeing from a DWI court date. Except the man is dead and, in true MIB fashion, an alien is now on the rampage dressed in his skin. Turns out, he isn’t the only alien in Austin, Texas, and Andy is going to have his hands full wh
Markus
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A story about aliens that manages to transcend taking place in Austin, TX

I suppose, by now, transplants from Los Angeles inhabiting an Austin landscape is ubiquitous if not cliche and, at first blush I didn't think the Dashiell Hammett meets Men in Black mashup was going to work but I seem to have been pleasantly surprised. In any case, I thought I ought to write a quick review of the first book before diving into the second one...
C
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Culture Shock was a captivating and entertaining read from end to end. With good plot progression, character development, entertaining imagery, and M.G. Herron's encapsulating writing style, this story was one that was pretty hard to put down. Furthermore, the companion audiobook voiced by Oliver Wyman provides even more depth and life to the story and characters. I thoroughly enjoyed Culture Shock and am looking forward to future developments in The Gunn Files. ...more
Robert Defrank
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fast, fun, exciting Men in Black inspired story, where the alien police enforcers decide to hire some local talent in the form of a down-on-his-luck but skilled bounty hunter based in Texas. Anderson Gunn is used to dealing with dangerous dirtbags and red tape, and he find that whether you’re dealing with people, cyborgs, lizard people or tentacled entities from beyond, some things are universal. The story is set in Austin, Texas, and there is a strong sense of place, and the
Ed A
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good start

It took a bit to warm up to our hero Anderson Gunn. The line “... wallow in my bottomless guilt later.” describes our bounty hunter and why it took some time for me get into the story. Maybe a bit too much wallowing. However he starts to grow up and the story moves right along. Looking forward to the release of Book 2.
Vancil C. Thomas
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!

This is a really well thought out storyline with characters you will easily identify with and lots of twists and turns and an ending you will not see coming until the last sentence! Like I said "WOW!!!" I highly reccomend this book, and I am off to buy the next one in the series!
The Mysterious Reader
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MG Herron’s Culture Shock (The Gunn Files, Book 1) is much more than a first contact mystery thriller. It’s Men in Black on steroids. Bounty hunter Anderson Gunn has no idea what he’s in for in his latest job, but the X Files guys would know what’s going on. This is freakin’ urban PI sci-fi mashup perfection that is totally fun, and highly recommended.
Karl Hakimian
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book promised to be a fun romp, and though it did borrow liberally from such things as MIB and Star Wars, it delivered on its promise.

The characters were well enough written to carry the story and the plot, though not delivering any surprises, we indeed an enjoyable romp.

While the story was in no way a cliff hanger, it did set things up for later books. Well worth the read.
allen collins
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I took a shot at what looked like a fun read. It was better, so much better!

This has been a fun read. I liked the Keep Austin Weird flow. The book is a fast paced fun with a great story line and great characters. I already have the next two books locked and loaded, ready to read. I will most likely check out the rest of your books. Enjoy I'll review the next book soon.
Charl
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2020
nice start to the series. Sort of a realistic "Men in Black", without the MIB itself. Aliens live here because Earth isn't a member of the Federation, we're too backward to be contacted. A murderous alien comes to Earth, Gunn stumbles across him and the Federation officers tracking him.

I enjoyed it, and I'll definitely be reading the next one.
Linda Brown
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable!!!

Outstanding story, lots of action and a bit of romance. MG Herron writes like a typical 1940's detective story style. BUT then you get aliens along with outer space alien cops. Such a surprise, I'm still laughing.
Keith Kavitz
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining read

This my first read of a M. G. Herron book and I am looking forward to reading more. I particularly enjoy the bits of sarcastic humor injected with the action. Glad I chose to read Culture Shock.
Mark Palmer
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a decent series starter. A lot of ideas I've seen before, but many new elements added as well. I'm interested in what happens next.

My full review is here:
Cally Walker
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A bounty is a bounty, right?

Anderson Gunn is a bounty hunter under the gun. With money troubles and a skip to trace, what’s he supposed to do when the perp has tentacles ?
Ray
Apr 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Here's another great unsolved mystery of the universe. How the hell did this ever get a 4+ rating? It might have been better as a graphic novel or Saturday morning cartoon. ...more
E.R.
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun

This is a quick read. Lots of explosions and aliens and whatnot. I enjoyed it and will look at the next one in the series.
Kimberly Sparks
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good read...

I really enjoyed this book and will continue with the next book in the series. Just a really fun read.
Pamela
May 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Not at all bad for the first in a series. Will definitely read the second book.
Jackie
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read about a character that fits perfect for the plot. Once you’re involved in the story, you feel as if you don’t want to leave.

• The Bar at the End of the World (The Watchers, #1)
  • Assassination Protocol (Cerberus, #1)
  • Black Sheep (Flight of the Javelin, #1)
  • Old Dogs, Older Tricks (Junkyard Pirate Book 2)
  • The Change (Wilders #0.5)
  • The Emerald Tablet: Shadows of Doubt
  • Death Check (The Destroyer, #2)
  • Wilders: The Complete Trilogy
  • The Hunted (Black Carbon #1)
  • Shadow of the Jaguar: A Leine Basso Thriller
  • Far Horizons (Stellar Heritage, #3)
  • Black Storm (The Exterminators Trilogy #1)
  • Tusk and Blade (Exodus Online) Book One: A LitRPG Novel
  • The Silence
  • Kinetic Strike (Drop Trooper #2)
  • The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
  • Shaved Ape Key (Bob and Nikki #8)
  • Killing Floor (Dystopiaville)
M.G. Herron is the author of The Gunn Files, The Translocator Trilogy, and other stories of science fiction and fantasy.

His work is published both independently and through publishing houses such as Audible Studios and Aethon Books. Altogether Herron’s novels have sold tens of thousands of copies.

Based in sunny Austin, Texas, MG’s alter ego, Matt, works for a product design agency as a content str

The Gunn Files (3 books)
  • Overdose (The Gunn Files, #2)
  • Quantum Flare (The Gunn Files, #3)