Start by marking “But Like Maybe Don't?: What Not to Do When Dating: An Illustrated Guide” as Want to Read:
But Like Maybe Don't?: What Not to Do When Dating: An Illustrated Guide

But Like Maybe Don't?: What Not to Do When Dating: An Illustrated Guide

The creator of the Instagram sensation But Like Maybe takes us on an illustrated journey through her worst dating mistakes--a hilarious, hopeful guide to what you need to get wrong in love before you get it right.

Arianna Margulis's pen was set aflame when a boyfriend took her for a walk in Central Park. She was sneak-attack dumped because she "interfered with his
Published February 4th 2020 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about But Like Maybe Don't?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about But Like Maybe Don't?

Start your review of But Like Maybe Don't?: What Not to Do When Dating: An Illustrated Guide
Trin
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Whoa. This is like a glimpse into an alternate universe. Or maybe an M. Night Shyamalan movie -- the twist is that I was the alien all along...

I have never felt this obsessive and crazy about any guy I have dated or crushed on ever. I have certainly never stalked a large portion of my crushes, which Margulis admits to--not with pride, exactly, but with a remarkable lack of self-judgment. This is just something you do, apparently! Antics besides stalking include actually surprise moving across
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
This book showed up on my doorstep last night and I started flipping through it and then just devoured it.... and I feel personally attacked by this book. I resemble way too many things in this book, I don't even know what to do with myself! Hahaha. Anyone who has been trampled in the stampede of dating (at any age) will enjoy this fun, illustrated read on all the stupid (and human) things we've all done. Unless you're in the one and only relationship you've ever been in (applause), then you ...more
di_good_books_dem
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
But Like Maybe Dont chronicles the dating failures of the author Arianna Marquis. At times funny it was often horrifying the lengths she would go to find love, or what she thought love was. Fun illustrations and her dry humor made this book a fun fast read. ...more
BookOfCinz
Arianna Margulis details all her dating faux pas in But Like Maybe Don't?: What Not To Do When Dating: An Illustrated Guide . From online stalking, to getting invested too quickly, to ghosting, to being too emotionally available, Margulis details how we should not make the mistakes she did while dating.

Of a lot of these stories are a bit too far-fetched but I guess we need those to make the illustrated guide work... Overall a fun, quick read and a great reminder to keep your chill!
Alex Williams
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Bradshaw is this u?
Burnsie
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
An amazing read--pretty quick, but honestly so good. If you need a pick me up, or in the throes of dating problems, I suggest this book! I've loved these comics for years!
Steven
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Fun artistic style. Simple content. I'm not convinced anyone actually commits these dating behaviors in real life, but it made for a relatively entertaining short read.
Maureen
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was cracking up at this book the entire time I was reading it. There are so many of these DON'Ts that I have done and come to realize that maybe that's why it didn't work out or good thing it didn't work out with those people. I felt embarrassed, yet relieved reading some of these stories, cause it's hard talking about these kinds of things. Overall, a wonderful book for everyone in the dating scene and she wrapped it up so lovely, reminding us to do us and love ourselves before everything ...more
Sami Kay
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking forward to this book for a really long time, and I can happily say that this book was everything I hoped it would be and a little bit more!

It was probably about a year ago that I discovered @butlikemaybe on instagram. Her comics and illustrations were honest, funny, and they also had just a little bit of "too much" truth to them that made them relatable. They reminded me so much of my single life that I looked back with nostalgia for a time gone by, and also really happy to
Unwisely
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Much to my surprise this wasn't just a collection of comics; it was more of a dating advice book (with confessional stories that mostly made me go OH HONEY NO...maybe we wouldn't actually be best friends IRL? But I'm willing to give it a shot!). Not what I was expecting, but her point about "if you have to ask what you are, then you have your answer" feels particularly applicable to my life (this dude was social distancing before it was cool!) Pleasant, and the comics are as spot-on as ever!
David
Though the art style might not be for everyone, this book was a pretty great self esteem boost. Margulis reflects on a number of relatable toxic behaviors often seen in the pursuit of romantic love. Anyone who's been on the giving or receiving end said actions would benefit from picking up this book on the importance of self love.
Christine
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Arianna's stories are not inspiring or a how to like most "dating" or "how to" books but instead are all "HOW NOT TO" for anyone dating ever and makes you feel better about being more "normal". Fun quick read and edited super well :)
Maria
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited for this book and my excitement was justified! It is such a fun book, full of sweetness and self-aware humor. Loved every second of it - like the book embodiment of a best friend giving you much needed advice with the exact right combination of gentleness, bluntness, affirmation, and wit.
Natalie Koenig
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Im making this 4 stars not 5 because I wish it was 100 pages longer ...more
Jasmine
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolute loved this book. It was a slap in the face. And oh so very relatable.
Leah (Jane Speare)
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pretty entertaining. Wow, she's made an impressive amount of terrible boy-related decisions. I appreciate reading her crazy story of growth.
Kendra Lee
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is delightful and hilarious. I may not be as crazy as she was but some of her stuff definitely hit home and all of it was funny. Very fun to learn from and a quick, entertaining read.
Corrine
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun read that's relatable for anyone that's dating in their twenties! Super quick to read, but a good reminder to prioritize yourself.
Lise Carpenter
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Talented, clever and very relatable illustrations. Love her story and honesty.
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
Dang, this was annoying, and I've been divorced for years. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't know people act like this? So much stalking and unhealthy behavior.
Kim
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-mlps-lp
Okay, so when is the Netflix show coming out? Like a millennial Sex & the City.
Rosalind Stearns
Cute easy read, but I guess I was looking for more substance.
Meri
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've been following @butlikemaybe on instagram for awhile and loved reading this and hearing some of the stories behind her doodles! Relatable, cringe worthy, and funny throughout and uplifting at the end.
EmpowerPuffGurl
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What I LOVED about "But Like Maybe Dont? : What Not To Do When Dating, An Illustrared Guide by Arianna Margulis aka @butlikemaybe :

1) First of all, Im a huge fan of But Like Maybe and if you dont follow her on Instagram, you need to! Her illustrations are freakin hilarious and always so spot on.

2) Her book had me cracking up the whole way through. She covers the horrors of dating in an incredibly honest way - including the worst of the worst of her own dating stories.

3) This was a fun and quick
Brooke Nuzie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy to get a chance to read this before its pub date, and as a huge @butlikemaybe fan, it was everything I dreamt of and more! ...more
Kierra
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.

I entered the giveaway because I thought it looked funny. It wasn't until I started reading that I realized the author was Instagram famous for her work. I loved the comics. In my opinion, they are the best part of this book. The writing could be much better. 3 stars
Brooke
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of this book, and it is everything I hoped for. If you follow Arianna (@butlikemaybe) on Instagram, this book is a must. Ive been following her for as long as I remember, and I always knew she was funny, but I didnt realize how self-aware she was as well. This book made me laugh both because its funny and its just SO relatable. I cant wait to buy the final product - not just for me, but as a gift for all my friends as well. ...more
Brianne Sperber
Feb 29, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Wives
  • Trust Exercise
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • His Royal Highness
  • Made for Love
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
  • Year of the Monkey
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Winter in Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • Know My Name: A Memoir
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words
  • The Perfect Stranger
  • Christmas Cliche
  • She Said: Breaking the Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite a Movement
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)