Start by marking “From the Dark We Came” as Want to Read:
From the Dark We Came

From the Dark We Came

Belar has made lying into an art form. His neighbors know him as a mild mannered music teacher, but to his fellow monster hunters hes a senior agent with one of the best track records in the organization. Werewolves, malignant spirits, and other odditiesyou name it, he can track it. And kill it if necessary.

But when a vampire shows up in Belars parlor, his two worlds crash
Published March 16th 2020 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about From the Dark We Came, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Dark We Came

Start your review of From the Dark We Came
~Mindy Lynn~
3.5 Stars!

I'm a sucker for these supernatural books.

I enjoyed this one and really liked both MC's . They had great chemistry and I liked their interactions with each other. Cassian's cousins were colorful characters as well. I would like to have learned more about them.

I think that was what was missing for me in this book. I needed more information about this world the author created. I'm not even sure which decade we were in. It read like an historical book with the way they spoke. But the
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

Really enjoyed this one! Both the main characters were great and it was a nice quick read. I would have maybe liked a little bit more world-building - although the bits we did get were very interesting - and I think the final battle was over maybe a bit too quickly, but overall I really enjoyed it so I can look past those minor details. Definitely a more character driven story but that's nice sometimes.
Joyfully Jay
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I will not be spoiling the plot of this story for you because you deserve the fun of reading this book for yourself. The author doesnt spoon feed you the plot. Instead, Emery parcels it out, crumb by crumb, making you wait for each new revelation. I will say that for all that the plot is revealed slowly, bit by bit as Cassian reveals his past and his past connections, there is nothing unfair here. Everything works within the world the author has created.

Likewise,
Anabela.M.
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Not only it offers a different take on vampire lore but also an interesting and original paranormal world, full of magic, shadows and color.

The story is told from both Cassian and Belar's POVs, with a lightly humorous style. It was awesome, because it made me smile even when they were immersed in the gloom of the world around them or when they found themselves in life threatening situations.

What absolutely delighted me was the development of the relationship between the
Solly
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was great, and even great enough that I powered through it in one day despite my vision issues + migraines doing their very best to keep me away from any reading.

I think Cassian and Belar are some of my favourite characters from this author so far! They were amazing and their dynamic was fun and exciting to read about. It's a vampire/vampire hunter romance but it definitely doesn't fall in the usual tropes/storylines associated with that and that was nice too.

It was fun to spot the
iam
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Entertaining vampire & vampire hunter mystery romance!
I'm told this was inspired by Castevanian, and that you can tell if you know it, but since I don't I cannot judge that.
I liked the worldbuilding in regards to the vampires. It played on some of the well-known tropes around them while also being completely different (from what I'm used to) in others. The rest of the setting wasn't that deeply established, but enough was there to never get lost as a reader, and to continuously tease me and
Rhode
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-vampires
Absolutely delightful. This author writes beautifully and I quickly became fond of the lead character. The world building was smoothly done and there was a passage, describing how different the vampires own dark universe was from the human world, that was so beautifully explained that I gasped.

A sweet story with just a few scary bits, and beings of all genders, as well as all ages. (This is not YA nor new adult, yay!)
Jem Zero
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This sweet, charming meetcute packed a lot into a neat little package. I have no ability to write concise or short stories, so I loved how tight this book was. Not a single wasted scene.

When reading short romances, a problem I often encounter is not believing the characters could fall in love so fast and get so loyally attached. Sure, sometimes it happens! That doesn't mean everyone writes it well. What I loved about the romance between Cassian and Belar is that it doesn't go immediately from
Dani (ダニ)
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, books, m-m-books
(I got this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

I gave this one 4 starts because...I wanted more!

I liked it a lot? I mean, it was too short. I wanted more. I want more books. I want this to be a series. Long story short...Give me more.

When I read the synopsis of this, I was so here for this. Vampire hunter and Vampire falling in love. Do I even have to say more? To top that premise... MALE vampire hunter and MALE vampire falling in love. Like, I'm sold. Also reading that the vampire
AMHH
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was interesting in the best possible sense of the word. I badly want a sequel, because the relationship between the characters is just so compelling, and the world they inhabit is both creepy and weirdly enchanting.

The author does a great job with a number of things in this book. One of the things I liked the most was the skill they have at creating atmosphere descriptions arent overwhelming but they are super detailed: just enough info about light, temperature, color, texture, etc. to
Jenna R
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
**I was provided an electronic copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for honest review.**

J. Emery brings their take to a vampire and hunter queer paranormal romance with From the Dark We Came. The story follows Cassian, our vampire newly awakened after having gone into a deep sleep, and Belar, our hunter who has already tried to kill Cassian at least twice. Someone is hiring Belar to hunt vampires who may or may not actually be hunting people, and Cassian wants to hire Belar to
Charlotte
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was very entertaining! I really enjoyed the characters and I loved the premise. Now, I do love a good vampire story so there's that...but this is a really well-written and enjoyable novel!

Belar is a hunter. He primarily kills vampires but he's been known to hunt other monsters. Then a vampire that he's attempted to kill twice shows up in his house. Cassian is the vampire's name and he wants to hire Belar to discover who is trying to kill him. It seems that there is something going on
Ivy Bookdragon
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Although this is a rather short novel, Emery's wonderful writing makes it a lush and entertaining story, full with great characters and a real mystery.

We first meet hunter Belar, who's a loner and hiding his real self. When a Vampire, nonetheless the only one he couldn't kill, offers him a deal to solve a mystery, things start to get really interesting.

Both Belar and Cassian are strong, fully developed characters, and when they are together the story really takes off! Their banter and chemistry
Alan D.D.
Although the idea seemed promising and I liked a couple of scenes, the writing style took me out of the book several times. It bothered me that both "vampire" and "hunter" were so repetitive, but it wasn't just that, but the general tone and style. it also seemed unrealistic to me that a demisexual would fall in love in just a matter of days when he said it took him months or years before feeling real attraction, and in this case it happens with no real explanation. However, I liked the ...more
Susan
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of From the Dark We Came by J. Emery via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review. Stories of vampire hunter (Belar) and vampire (Cassian) falling in love are not new, but what sets this book apart from the rest is the weird (the authors word) world the vampires inhabit. I enjoyed seeing this world revealed as Belar grudgingly accepts a truce with Cassian to discover who wants not one but both of them dead. The twists and turns kept the story moving along ...more
Tionne
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-romance
Bonnie
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Love these characters so much

I love everything about this story, especially the way the characters relate to each other over time as the story unfolds.
MKRN
Jessi Beauchamp
Feb 15, 2020
Reba A.
Feb 23, 2020

• Happy Place (Rainbow Place, #5)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Thicker Than Water
  • A Summer of Smoke and Sin
  • Saving Rafe (Lords of Discord #2)
  • Work-Love Balance (Out & About, #1)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes #1)
  • Shadow and Light (Arizona Raptors, #3)
  • Black Lies (Guns n' Boys #10)
  • To Have It All
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Howling on Hold
  • Handsome Death
  • For What It's Worth
  • Havesskadi
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • The Electric Heir (Feverwake #2)

News & Interviews