Start by marking “From the Dark We Came” as Want to Read:
From the Dark We Came

From the Dark We Came

Belar has made lying into an art form. His neighbors know him as a mild mannered music teacher, but to his fellow monster hunters he’s a senior agent with one of the best track records in the organization. Werewolves, malignant spirits, and other oddities—you name it, he can track it. And kill it if necessary.

But when a vampire shows up in Belar’s parlor, his two worlds cr
Published March 16th 2020 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about From the Dark We Came, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From the Dark We Came

Start your review of From the Dark We Came
Skye Kilaen
If "vampire + monster hunter enemies to lovers romance" and "demisexual protagonist" sound good to you, definitely check this out!

Disclosure: I beta read it and I'm friendly with the author. However I do not rec books on here that I don't like. :)
~Mindy Lynn~
3.5 Stars!

I'm a sucker for these supernatural books.

I enjoyed this one and really liked both MC's . They had great chemistry and I liked their interactions with each other. Cassian's cousins were colorful characters as well. I would like to have learned more about them.

I think that was what was missing for me in this book. I needed more information about this world the author created. I'm not even sure which decade we were in. It read like an historical book with the way they spoke. But the aut
Kathleen
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, paranormal

Well, that was unexpectedly wonderful. What it lacked in world building, it made up for in finely drawn main characters, tantalizing atmosphere, lovely prose, excellent editing, and a captivating story. Emery is a truly talented author. Hoping for more stories in this universe, perhaps a bit longer.
Pam
Oct 21, 2020 rated it liked it

The writing is strong, and I liked it well enough that I'll be trying more from the author, but the most successful part -- the chemistry between the MCs -- got the least play, while the bulk of the book focuses on the least successful storyline, which was the action plot.

I liked the world-building, but there's a missing link between all the buildup and the big climax. It's fine to go vague on the details of your magic system IF you don't rely on it for the climax the whole book revolve
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley

Really enjoyed this one! Both the main characters were great and it was a nice quick read. I would have maybe liked a little bit more world-building - although the bits we did get were very interesting - and I think the final battle was over maybe a bit too quickly, but overall I really enjoyed it so I can look past those minor details. Definitely a more character driven story but that's nice sometimes.
Joyfully Jay
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elizabeth
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I will not be spoiling the plot of this story for you because you deserve the fun of reading this book for yourself. The author doesn’t spoon feed you the plot. Instead, Emery parcels it out, crumb by crumb, making you wait for each new revelation. I will say that for all that the plot is revealed slowly, bit by bit as Cassian reveals his past and his past connections, there is nothing unfair here. Everything works within the world the author has created.

Likewise, t
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

From the Dark We Came by J. Emery is a good, short LGBT+ paranormal romance that very much made me think of K.J. Charles's A Charm of Magpies series. I enjoyed getting to know the characters (a vampire and a hunter) very much, but I was underwhelmed by the author's world-building. I would have liked to have known a lot more about the paranormal fantasy world they inhabit. I'm also pretty sure this is the first time that I've met a
Inkslinger
From the Dark We Came by J. Emery

ARC provided by NineStar Press and J. Emery via NetGalley. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookBub

07-20: At first glance, 'From the Dark We Came' by J. Emery, had a fascinating premise for me.. and right up front I'll tell you.. there's nothing wrong with the story. The writing and story are fine, the characters sparked my interest right away, and the paranormal topic is generally something I enjoy.

Belar is a monster hunter who seems to do especiall
Anabela.M.
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Not only it offers a different take on vampire lore but also an interesting and original paranormal world, full of magic, shadows and color.

The story is told from both Cassian and Belar's POVs, with a lightly humorous style. It was awesome, because it made me smile even when they were immersed in the gloom of the world around them or when they found themselves in life threatening situations.

What absolutely delighted me was the development of the relationship between the hunte
suzette ~Always Reading~
This was a nice surprise! I love when I discover a new author. I really enjoyed the way they wrote the vampires, there were little to no cliches like you find in so many other vampire stories. This one stood out and that is so refreshing.

Belar is a hunter who has a perfect track record except for one vampire he wasn’t able to kill. That vampire shows up at his house one night to make a deal with him. Together Belar and the vampire, Cassian, join forces to fight what is coming after them.

There
Solly
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was great, and even great enough that I powered through it in one day despite my vision issues + migraines doing their very best to keep me away from any reading.

I think Cassian and Belar are some of my favourite characters from this author so far! They were amazing and their dynamic was fun and exciting to read about. It's a vampire/vampire hunter romance but it definitely doesn't fall in the usual tropes/storylines associated with that and that was nice too.

It was fun to spot the Castle
Rhode
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-vampires
Absolutely delightful. This author writes beautifully and I quickly became fond of the lead character. The world building was smoothly done and there was a passage, describing how different the vampires own dark universe was from the human world, that was so beautifully explained that I gasped.

A sweet story with just a few scary bits, and beings of all genders, as well as all ages. (This is not YA nor new adult, yay!)
Sam | Queen Hera
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS AMAZING RTC
Violet
Mar 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, reviews
3 stars
I really enjoyed both Belar and Cassian as characters. They had good chemistry and I enjoyed them as well as Arakiel and Erathel. However, the predominant thought as I read was that it seemed like I was missing something. It felt like I had been dropped into a book mid-story and I spent the entire time piecing together what had happened before. One such example is Cassian's past. Considering its significance with regards to the story, I would have preferred that it be explained more thoro
iam
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Entertaining vampire & vampire hunter mystery romance!
I'm told this was inspired by Castevanian, and that you can tell if you know it, but since I don't I cannot judge that.
I liked the worldbuilding in regards to the vampires. It played on some of the well-known tropes around them while also being completely different (from what I'm used to) in others. The rest of the setting wasn't that deeply established, but enough was there to never get lost as a reader, and to continuously tease me and make
Alan D.D.
Although the idea seemed promising and I liked a couple of scenes, the writing style took me out of the book several times. It bothered me that both "vampire" and "hunter" were so repetitive, but it wasn't just that, but the general tone and style. it also seemed unrealistic to me that a demisexual would fall in love in just a matter of days when he said it took him months or years before feeling real attraction, and in this case it happens with no real explanation. However, I liked the characte ...more
Rox
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, arc, queer-demi
This was a an easy book to get through with two likeable characters, an engaging plot. I would have liked a bit more world building and hope to read some more in this world. Would have liked if it had been a bit longer! Great demi rep!
PaperMoon
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short but oh so good introductory read for this author - caught my attention from the very start and kept it entirely 'til the last page, whereupon I was soooo glad this appears to be book 1 of a series. I hope the next one comes out real soon. ...more
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
DNF @ 18% — just not feeling it. Characters have made no impressions on me yet and the writing is kind of bland. I don't think sinking more time into reading it will be rewarding for me, which is a shame, because the premise is great. ...more
Ay
DNF pretty quickly, and sent back for refund. Basically I did not like the characters enough to be interested in what was going on.
Nemo
Tionne
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-romance
Jem Zero
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This sweet, charming meetcute packed a lot into a neat little package. I have no ability to write concise or short stories, so I loved how tight this book was. Not a single wasted scene.

When reading short romances, a problem I often encounter is not believing the characters could fall in love so fast and get so loyally attached. Sure, sometimes it happens! That doesn't mean everyone writes it well. What I loved about the romance between Cassian and Belar is that it doesn't go immediately from M
Charlotte
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was very entertaining! I really enjoyed the characters and I loved the premise. Now, I do love a good vampire story so there's that...but this is a really well-written and enjoyable novel!

Belar is a hunter. He primarily kills vampires but he's been known to hunt other monsters. Then a vampire that he's attempted to kill twice shows up in his house. Cassian is the vampire's name and he wants to hire Belar to discover who is trying to kill him. It seems that there is something going on i
AMHH
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was interesting in the best possible sense of the word. I badly want a sequel, because the relationship between the characters is just so compelling, and the world they inhabit is both creepy and weirdly enchanting.

The author does a great job with a number of things in this book. One of the things I liked the most was the skill they have at creating atmosphere— descriptions aren’t overwhelming but they are super detailed: just enough info about light, temperature, color, texture, etc.
Sameena Jehanzeb
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt
I received this book as a digital ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Well this book was such a fun read! It has a secret society of Vampires, Werewolves, Fae of all sorts, shadows with eyes and claws and hunters who try to keep humans safe at night while teaching kids music lessons at day. I am not much into vampires anymore since they all started to sparkle and be oh so nice and protective, but I am glad I put up this book. In "From The Dark We Came" they are not braindead monst
Ivy Bookdragon
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goth-fantasy
Although this is a rather short novel, Emery's wonderful writing makes it a lush and entertaining story, full with great characters and a real mystery.

We first meet hunter Belar, who's a loner and hiding his real self. When a Vampire, nonetheless the only one he couldn't kill, offers him a deal to solve a mystery, things start to get really interesting.

Both Belar and Cassian are strong, fully developed characters, and when they are together the story really takes off! Their banter and chemistry
Simon
Lovely, rich, intriguing. Love the characters and their quest. Would happily read more in this world.
Martina Weiß
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asexual, lgbt, demisexual
I was pretty sure this would be a 5 star book. And till maybe page 150, it absolutly was! Unfortunately the ending kinda ruined it for me. I can't exactly say why, because that would kinda spoil it, so let's just leave it at that.

The story concept was really intriguing. Vampire hunter gets hired by a vampire he has already tried to kill twice to kill a fellow vampire for him. Who? He doesn't know. He just kows someones out to kill him AND the hunter. So either he helps his enemy OR he dies. The
Dani (ダニ ¦ 다니)
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, books, m-m-books
(I got this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

I gave this one 4 starts because...I wanted more!

I liked it a lot? I mean, it was too short. I wanted more. I want more books. I want this to be a series. Long story short...Give me more.

When I read the synopsis of this, I was so here for this. Vampire hunter and Vampire falling in love. Do I even have to say more? To top that premise... MALE vampire hunter and MALE vampire falling in love. Like, I'm sold. Also reading that the vampire

• Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Wonderstruck (Magic in Manhattan #3)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • On the Wings of War (Soulbound, #5)
  • The Fantastic Fluke (The Fantastic Fluke, #1)
  • An Echo in the Sorrow (Soulbound, #6)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Cry Wolf (Big Bad Wolf, #5)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • White Trash Warlock (Adam Binder #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Sea (The Knight and the Necromancer #3)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Lore & Lust (Lore & Lust #1)
  • Wormwood Summer (San Amaro Investigations, #1)
  • Murder at Pirate's Cove (Secrets and Scrabble, #1)
  • Bound (Chinatown Demons, #1)
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)