Start by marking “The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2

The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2

(The Avant-Guards #5-8)

The Avant-Guards have been on a roll, but when they hit the end of their winning-streak, will these new friendships survive? As The Avant-Guards struggle to move forward, theyll soon learn just what it means to truly be a team - on the court and, most importantly, off the court. The critically-acclaimed team of writer Carly Usdin (Heavy Vinyl) and artist Noah Hayes (Wet ...more
Published February 18th 2020 by BOOM! Box

To ask other readers questions about The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2

Start your review of The Avant-Guards, Vol. 2
zaira
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2020
Loved it as usual!! The art is gorgeous and the characters are amazing (Liv and Tiffany are my favorites so far!). I loved that it shows POVs of different characters so we really get to know each of them more. So far Nicoles POV still hasnt been featured but I feel like its coming soon after what Tiffany discovered about her!

The plot isnt too spectacular but I love the characters and getting to know them individually so I still think its worth reading. The friendship between the MCs is also
Kat
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
so wholesome, so great. love the diversity and subtle non-binary representation!!
Nadja
I love the different character perspectives and found especially Jay and Tiffany's issues very interesting. I'm not that into the love story of the main couple (to insta-lovey for my taste) but it's refreshingly not the main focus.
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This continues to be a gay delight
Kathy
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love the team members, and loved the references to sports movies.
Aileen
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one even more!
bookaholic_kim
In this volume, we get to know more the characters not only in court but their personal life as well.
Cande
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
i needs this in my life, pretty please
Ziva
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yep, still cute :D
Paula Valenca
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Still so much fun! Its a book about a women basketball team in a college minor league but whats particularly special is the care that is taken with representation - every *single* character, every detail - and yet the focus of the story is never on that - on Vol 1 we learn a character is trans because she uses the trans flag as a curtain but its never explicitly said and being trans in a womens league is never an issue.
Books that focus on challenges and experiences around race, sexuality, gender
Alex (HEABookNerd)
Series: Avant-Guards #2
Rating: 4 stars - it was enjoyable

I really enjoyed the issues included The Avant-Guards, Vol 2 because we got to see a lot more of the other players and their personal lives. Each one is very unique and I especially liked seeing Jay and their partner; they were both really sweet. I've only recently started reading graphic novels but I really like the art style of this one and how colorful and vivid the images are. Looking forward to more!
Megan Jackson
This is my new favorite! The art is fantastic, but it's the thoughtful, gracious character development that makes this series truly special. I can't believe how much emotional ground has been covered in only 8 issues. Highly recommend!
Mo
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just...love stories about people of marginalized genders in sport 😭
Mary Westveer
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Really cute. Glad we are starting to see some of the character's histories. I find it fun and entertaining but I'm not super invested.
Erica
Mar 16, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Still love the characters but story a bit thin.
Michelle
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I looove the casual background magic in this
Jenn
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, ya
Great to see the story from the other players' perspectives.
Nic
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Very cute! Neat to get some more characters' perspectives. (And I love all the quirky schools and teams they play against!)
Emma
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loving this incredibly inclusive series.
Lainy122
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such a great series, brilliant casual diversity. Loved the new POV's, cool developments with the plot and characters. Just a fun, funny and enjoyable serial! <3
Sesana
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This book is just so wholesome. It makes me very happy to read it.
MSabatiniReads
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just love these characters, the illustrations and coloring, and wish each volume came out faster so I could binge them all! ♡
Anna
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So, so cute!
Sionna
I love the friendships within the team and how supportive they are of each other. Supportive, thoughtful, and so caring. I love these characters so, so much.
Jess Grover
5 heart-warming, joy-radiating stars.

(To be clear, I read these as individual issues but wanted to shelve it as a volume.)

These 4 issues made me too gay to function. I absolutely adore these characters and where the story is going. The art is gorgeous and I love the tongue-in-cheek montages, but it's the writing that is slaying me. The scenes, the humour, the friendships. I am so in love. How is there not more of this yet?!

Nadia
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
The casual and effortless representation present in these stories are so refreshing. My biggest takeaway from this volume was a list of queer sports movies, which I must immediately watch. I enjoyed this immensely when I first started it last year, and look forward to following these characters through the next volumes.
Ada
I read the individual issues but can't be bothered to rate them each on their own.
It wouldn't matter anyway, I loved every issue. Got teary while reading 2 of them. Laughed at something in every one of them. This series is great for everyone who just want to read some wholesomeness. Every heavy topic is dealt with the gravity it deserves but it is never gloomy.
Perfect for readin after a hectic and busy workweek.
Hester
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Arggh I don't want it to be over! Such a lovely comic! I had to read into the night cuz I just could not stop without finishing the entire comic! I'm not sure when it will be but I cannot wait for an update on this!! Highly recommend it if you want a nice quick read that's adorable and not focused heavily on romance! Lots of diversity too which is really great!
Erica McGillivray
I really enjoy this book. It's super sweet, but I hope it gets it's final arc.
Joanna
Nov 05, 2019 rated it liked it

• Giant Days Vol. 12
  • Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • Witchy
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • Go with the Flow
  • Snapdragon
  • No Ivy League
  • The Fire Never Goes Out: A Memoir in Pictures
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11
  • Fence, Vol. 2
  • Witches in Training (Hex Vet, #1)
  • Stage Dreams
  • My Boyfriend Is a Bear
  • Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • Mooncakes
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? Big Questions from Tiny Mortals About Death
  • Giant Days #54
Carly Usdin is an award-winning filmmaker based in Los Angeles. Her first feature, Suicide Kale, won the Audience Award for Best First Feature at Outfest 2016. After playing over 30 festivals worldwide the film is now available on iTunes and Amazon Prime. In 2017 Carly served as showrunner and director for the scripted series Threads, produced by New Form for Verizons go90 platform. The 20-episode ...more

The Avant-Guards (8 books)
  • The Avant-Guards #1