Start by marking “Ellis Island” as Want to Read:
Ellis Island

Ellis Island

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  398 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
They were five young penniless people who came to America at the turn of the century--a land of shining hope and breathtaking challenge. They came to fulfill a glowing promise and take the fearful gamble of a new life in a land where anything was possible.
Published May 5th 1992 by Signet (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Ellis Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellis Island

Eileen
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
An entertaining and informative read about America in the beginning of the 20th century seen through the eyes of five young immigrants. I think it captures the feel of that time and the characters are pretty interesting. My actual rating is 3,5 stars.

Jake, Russian, and Marco, Italian, become friends on the boat to America on their way (for better or for worse) to make their dream come true and become rich. Soon they find out that being rich doesn't mean the same as being happy. Bridget and Georg
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 added it
2010- This book wasn't that bad, someone randomly picked it up for me, so I was unsure what to expect. I thought the author did a good job of picturing some of the hardships immigrants went through, although the later storylines were a bit unbelievable. I also found it odd that although we were introduced to five main characters at the beginning, the author choose to focus most of the story on two of the men. And although most of the storylines were connected, the mining sections seemed a bit re ...more
Curlyhair
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I remember loving this, when I read it years ago. It was turned into a tv series too, that was popular at the time.
Melanie Tehan
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

Many characters to keep
Track of, but each chapter keeps you intrigued with life stories in the early 1900s. Ellis Island is a great read to hold your interest to the end.
Sherrill Watson
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See Al's review.

An in-depth look at five disparate immigrants who entered thru Elis Island in 1907. Some of them became rich thru their own efforts, education and "breaks", and others of the five weren't so "lucky." Of course, all of them were go-getters, having successfully fled their countries of origin for terrible reasons and come to the "land of opportunity." Good read. Timeless.

Something to remember: We are / were the "land of opportunity", but you DO have to keep your shiny eyes open for
Zahra
It is one of the most involving books I have never read before
Andrea
Jul 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
I picked this book up at a thrift store for 50 cents. It looked interesting and I had never read anything by Fred Mustard Stewart before so I figure 'why not?'. I am always eager to find a new and interesting author. I gave this book 3 stars (out of 5) for various reasons. I will go with the negatives first: 1) The jacket explains that the story will follow 5 penniless immigrants, from varied countries, who come to live in America and make their way initially through Ellis Island at the beginnin ...more
Carol
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading about the history of the early 1900s and what the immigrants had to face as they entered their new surroundings, but the fictionalized parts of the story were quite unbelievable, especially when trying to tie up loose ends in the final chapter. The author also did way too much foreshadowing. There were no surprises.

As far as I can tell, Stewart did seem to accurately portray life during this era - covering topics such as poverty, politics, prejudice, music, unions, morality, a
Donna Zigmont
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.I've read a few of the authors other books as well.I liked that the characters who came over on the ship didn't all end up living on the same street in the same neighborhood.And I also liked that they made mistakes and didn't become succesful right away,each had to work at it.I didn't like the character Nellie,she was a piece of work.And I didn't care for Monty Staunton or Bill Fargo either,they were both pieces of work.The one thing that did disappoint me with the sto ...more
Julie Barrett
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ellis Island, a novel by Stewart Fred Mustard
Enjoyed this book because it follows many who were forced to come to the USA because of what was occurring in their countries.
Liked following the career they carved out of necessity and where it led them towards their goals of living the American dream.
Appreciated hearing about Ellis Island and screening for glaucoma and how the diagnosis effected many.
interesting there is a connection to the cottages in Newport, RI.
I received this book from Nationa
Al
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent novel recounting the lives of five immigrants from Russian, Bohemia, Italy and Ireland who enter the US through Ellis Island during the first decade of the twentieth century. The book is very-well researched and the author provides a vivid portrait of America during the early decades of the twentieth century....ranging from the terrible poverty of many all the way through the incredible wealth amassed by many in the era immediately preceding the institution of the federal income tax ...more
Judith
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Started out as a very interesting book telling what life was like for the immigrants coming through Ellis Island. We are introduced to the characters, told their reasons for leaving their country, and their immigrant experience in America. Then things began to slow down and the book wasn't too different from any early 20th century novel. However, I am glad I read it. I was fascinated by the penniless people who came to a land of hope and challenge.
The Reading Bibliophile
As I said in another review, there weren't many books around.
Ellis Island was a damn good history book (forget the fictionalised part) about USA immigration at the beginning of the 20th century. I was so impressed by it that I certainly did not miss to visit Ellis Island when I was in New York in 1999.
Suzy
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Who says historical fiction needs to be "literary"? This mass-market flash-back to early 1900's New York City was a quick read full of short sentences and cheap thrills. The author did a good job in bringing the setting to life, the characters had enough heart to be interesting and their hijinks were timeless. Fun read.
Roman
May 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
WOW! talk about an intresting story this book takes you through two young immigrant friends story on becoming apart of the "Golden Paved" streets of america, But it seems that to live where the "Maids have Maids" wasnt as simple as it seemed.
Du
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it
There is nothing spectacular about this book. It was fun, a creative story and well paced. The writing is good, but isn't literary genius. Overall, this is a solid book worth testing if you like historical fiction.
Karen
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Not great literature, and fairly predictable, but the author has done his homework and provides excellent and definitive context for the time period (height of Irish immigration to America near the turn of the 19th century).
Rina
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that doesn't take too much thought because there really isn't all that much insight but it really is a good story. The story is rich and compelling. It captured my imagination and heart.

It's a great one for a plane ride or a beach stay.
Sara G
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. This book isn't anything groundbreaking, but it's a nice story of immigrants who came through Ellis Island and some of the hardships they faced. It was extremely unrealistic at points, but the story was decent and I really enjoyed it.
Dayle
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than expected story of five immigrants and their lives, loves & fortunes after coming through Ellis Island.
Menus67
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great fiction on early immigration on the east coast
Maria Gerardy
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the history, class warfare, immigrant experience. American Dream at its finest. Will read other works by this author. Did seem to end abruptly. This author does his homework.
Mary
Jun 29, 2011 added it
great
Rob Cohen
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this so long ago, I think I got it from my grandmother's house-- I seem to recall enjoying it...
Sarah Sammis
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another one I read while camping. Actually I've read it an number of times and I still enjoy it.
Celene Swagler
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book.
Russ Jr.
  • Summer of Fear
  • The Golden Cup
  • First Knight
  • True Women
  • Tilly Trotter Wed (Tilly Trotter Trilogy, #2)
  • Happy Days: Mencken's Autobiography: 1880-1892
  • The Notorious Mrs. Winston
  • Firewall: The Iran-Contra Conspiracy and Cover-up
  • The Great Alone
  • Novels, 1957-1962: The Town / The Mansion / The Reivers
  • Henry IV, Parts One and Two (No Fear Shakespeare)
  • Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul
  • Louise's War (Louise Pearlie, #1)
  • Joy Street