Jump to ratings and reviews

Under Another Sun

A crack in time saves 99
But what do those ominous words mean?
Ray is about to find out, whether he’s ready or not. His ‘deceased’ twin sister, Ravynn, is warning him of impending disaster, but Ray can’t seem to convince himself, or his wife, that he’s not crazy.
But Ray isn’t the only one communicating with his sister. Ravynn’s surviving daughter, Amelia, seems to know things that defy reason, in a time when reason is slowly slipping away.
When Ray’s brother-in-law offers evidence of something terrible coming in the form of prophetic journals Ravynn wrote before her death, Ray can’t doubt the truth any longer. The world is falling down.
The family struggles to hold themselves together as the world they once knew and understood begins to collapse all around them, leading up to a cataclysmic end.
Can Ray save his family in time?

First published October 1, 2020

4 books35 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (8%)
1 star
2 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 41 reviews
Profile Image for Bayan Sh.
89 reviews2 followers
July 7, 2021
This was so real for God's sake, I was forgetting that it wasn't real world every time I put it down, I still struggle to understand that it isn't real.

There is every type of natural disaster from earthquakes and volcanos to tsunamis and summer snow. And the stupid hint that there are people who know what is happening and when, I was so taken by this book that I'm still not over it.

I was so attached to the characters and wanted all of them to survive and succeed, I was so invested that I was sometimes looking up from the book to look around and make sure I was still home with my family and all was good.

This was horrific in impossible ways but it was the most enjoyable horror I've read in years! I recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy their time or foresee the next best horror film in paper form.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing an ARC.
Profile Image for Yvonne (The Coycaterpillar Reads).
654 reviews200 followers
April 14, 2020
Dark and Gothic. Under Another Sun is multi-faceted and strips the layers back of the human condition. It examines our ability to decipher the logic behind trauma. Our ability to cope with grief. It is a highly intelligent and fascinating novel on multiple levels. D.M. Siciliano has given us another deeply unsettling horror novel but a winner in its own right from Inside. Horror that is so realistic and palpitatingly dark. Our future is national disasters, it gives us a lightbulb moment and relinquishes the hold that monsters under our bed once held. I had a lot of pleasure unfolding this story and I believe you will too.

Ravynn is such a powerful protagonist in Under Another Sun. She has a hold over the other characters – predominately Ray (her twin brother), Elena (his wife) and little Amelia (Ravynn’s daughter). She is an ethereal force to be reckoned with. She has experienced her fair share of trauma and suffering and knows things she really has no right in knowing. Her journals are a great source of foretelling and anguish for her now ex-husband and something that maintains the strands of her being and her experiences and traumas.

Two timelines come crashing together and it felt like watching the beauty and destructive nature of a supernova. The story had so many layers of tragedy and sublime storytelling that I was unwilling to have my kindle prized out of my greedy little hands! The setting. The protagonists. The horror. It tallied up to an experience. I felt like I was living and experiencing the events. I felt the fear. I felt the worry. Under Another Sun was stealing the show! I don’t think I have the necessary words to describe Siciliano’s powerful way of writing. The drama. The threatening edge. The narrative. It made for a heady mix, and it made me shiver! You can feel the author’s love for this story. You can feels its impact escaping through its pages and reaching out to you.

I really don’t want to give anything away in regard to the storyline but believe me, it’s so worth it. Time had no consequence for me and the chapters flew by. I needed answers, I wanted to delve further into the reasonings to some events. The pace was magnificent, and the last page left me feeling like I had been on rollercoaster.

Under Another Sun is evocative and dreamlike. Don’t be fooled by its beautiful cover Siciliano has created something darker than night. Superbly inventive.
Want to read
April 10, 2020
For those who enjoy apocalyptic sci-fi horror, this one is terrific with many original concepts and unexpected twists and turns. Expect this to be picked up by film makers in the future, it would make one terrifying movie!
Profile Image for Cam.
981 reviews2 followers
February 5, 2021
I loved her book Inside .... this book to me dragged for me. This is a post apocalyptic book.

Profile Image for Paul Preston.
1,030 reviews
April 8, 2021
First, I need to say how much this book affected me. I just kept thinking about it. Thinking about the natural disasters and forgetting they weren’t real. Thinking about these characters and wondering how they got so close to me.
Earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, snow in the summer, birds falling from the sky...this world is coming to an end and a few seem to know exactly when it will happen.
Some families are closer than others, from across generations and beyond. Twins Ravynn and Ray have always had a special connection but after Ravynn disappears and is presumed dead their connection continues. Through dreams Ray talks to his sister and is making predictions about disasters that come true. Or is Ray just losing his mind? He can’t be communicating with his missing sister in his head, but the predictions are coming true.
So much is going on in this book that I just don’t want to talk about and give spoilers. I needed everyone to succeed and survive. Tension builds as catastrophe after catastrophe comes true, spiraling toward the end of this world.
Profile Image for Elena Linville.
Author 1 book51 followers
September 22, 2021
DNF at 35%.

I am honestly not sure where all the 5 star reviews are coming from. Did I try to read a different book than everyone else?

This thing needs a good editor who would have cut out at least 1/3 of the filler and useless word vomit that bloats this book. Then maybe we would have had a decent story.

As it stands, this story is full of flashbacks that undercut current events and kill any attempt at action on the spot. And all the characters have to describe all of their feelings in minute details ALL the time... And plus also, for two couples who claim to love each other soooooo much, they sure can't communicate worth a darn. As a result, they all come across as self absorbed entitled as#$les. Not somebody you want to root for, or even follow through a book.

Finally, I am at 35% and the story is barely starting. Heck, I haven't even reached all the events described in the book blurb!

This is boring and frustrating, and I'm out.

PS: Thanks to Netgalley for the free copy. Sorry I didn't like it.
Profile Image for A.J. Vrana.
Author 5 books158 followers
March 25, 2021
What is the price of knowledge? How do you cope when the person closest to you, once thought to be fragile and crumbling, was in fact the only one who really knew what was happening?

Under Another Sun follows two parallel timelines and the converging paths of Ray and Ravynn—fraternal twins whose bond is as burdened as they are. When Ray begins experiencing signs that his deceased sister Ravynn hadn’t been out of her mind when she predicted the world’s end, Ray has no choice but to break open all the traumas he’s kept buried beneath the surface to solve the riddles his sister left behind: a crack in time saves 99. Turning to Ravynn’s journals—incoherent to the average person—Ray scrambles to piece together the truth before it’s too late, and before the entire world falls down.

Under Another Sun is a post-apocalyptic horror novel that builds on the dread of knowing too much to be okay but not knowing enough to have the answers. However, beneath that, it’s a compelling and heart-wrenching story about familial trauma. Weaving emotional and interpersonal journeys with cosmic horror, D.M. Siciliano pushes readers to confront the emotional core of the horror genre itself: the incomprehensibility of the human condition. Confronting the ghosts of the past and surmounting the grief they leave in their wake may be the most common human experience in the world, but it is one that haunts mercilessly and is powerful enough to break the world itself.
Profile Image for Anjali.
294 reviews19 followers
April 12, 2021
I. Loved. This. Book. ❤️

The book is dark and evocative; and surreal... I read impatiently... I just had to know what was happening next... and my heart broke a little when the story ended...

I found the characters real and relatable... I loved the relationship Ray had with his wife Elena. I loved the relationship Elena created with Ray's niece Amelia. Every character arc was so well defined...

The story is a heart-rending unfolding of a family's struggle with loss, strength throughout doubt, and finding hope... all this while the earth is spinning faster and faster towards its annihilation.

The author spins this story very plausibly, using her words to pain vivid pictures... I even had to look up the meanings of some of these words, and they were used impeccably in the context.

The book needs a wee little bit more of editing, but it takes away nothing from the experience of the book.

Read. This. Book.
Profile Image for Permanently_Booked.
756 reviews54 followers
October 1, 2020
“Look at this world. What it’s become. It’s such a human thing to take everything for granted.”

What a ride! This novel reminded me of the Nicholas Cage movie, Knowing, mixed with the otherworldly vibe of parallel universes. I have always loved apocalyptic type movies that leave you with that sinister void at the ending credits and the ‘what ifs’ lingering in the back of your mind. That creeping dread of wondering I you’d survive a cataclysmic tsunami or earthquake. Under Another Sun truly captures the fear, turmoil and human chaos as the world shudders its last breath. An excellent eco-horror novel that sucked me in and made my insides crawl.

But it is so much more than just ‘doomsday cometh.’ Ray is struggling with the nightmares of his twin sister’s death a year ago. Ravynn speaks to him in his sleep and waking hours and the line between sanity and the fear of inheriting schizophrenia has both Ray and his wife, Elena, at their wits end threatening their relationship. When Ravynn’s little daughter, Amelia, starts claiming she speaks with Mommy and displaying a calm, knowing, matter-of-fact acceptance of the catastrophic natural events unfolding across the planet, Elena and Ray have to consider this may be worse than they could ever imagine.

I don’t want to give too much away but this was a wild ride and an awesome way to start the month of horror. I am still in my feels after that ending; stuck on the edge of “sequel please” and “no don’t sequel!” as I sift through my thoughts. Though labeled as horror this is not a slasher and gore type read of sinister paranormal experience. Definitely more along the lines of eco-horror with hints of sci-fi. There are also some scenes that went on a little longer than I would’ve liked but that doesn’t take away from my overall enjoyment.

I highly recommend this novel to those who enjoy apocalyptic or eco-horror novels. I want to thank D.M. Siciliano for the opportunity to read this advanced copy for an honest opinion.
Profile Image for Emma Katherine.
271 reviews11 followers
January 2, 2021
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: Under Another Sun was a gift from the heavens! After reading and adoring Siciliano's Inside, I had high expectations for everything about this book: I hoped that the characters were just as relatable, the themes resonated just as loudly with readers, and the ending was just as climactic. Without a doubt, all of my hopes were met, meaning you can expect all of these elements and more from Under Another Sun! Siciliano created an audacious world that gives "dynamic" a new meaning and entangles readers in a web of lies, secrets, and prophecies. The use of language, specifically foreshadowing, will give any English nerd something to excite about and any teen reader a new passion for literature. Adding on to this, the themes are abundant and give a deeper meaning to every brawl, cliffhanger, and aspiration. What more could you wish for in story? It's not every day that you find a book so engaging and meaningful, yet here is one waiting to be read by you!

My Favourite Thing: I appreciate the ominous atmosphere and aspects of Under Another Sun! Sure, this isn't your typical Lovecraft or King novel, but readers will definitely be sat on the edge of their seat the entire time, trembling with anticipation as they turn each page. What an intense and chilling atmosphere! Siciliano has sparked a love for apocalyptic horror in me!

My Least Favourite Thing: Like every book, you must expect the occasional dull page mixed in with the excitement. However, this didn't effect my reading experience and I won't penalize the rating for it.
Profile Image for Stephanie Matthews.
Author 2 books41 followers
February 19, 2021
The end of the world is a horrifying idea. What will it look like? What will it feel like? How would we react? These are the questions that haunt us in the back of our minds because we have no idea. Based on current global trends, environmental and climate disaster seems most likely. And it is this end of the world scenario that author Siciliano dives into- a scenario where we are helpless to do anything about it because it's too late. We can only watch helplessly as the world crumbles around us.

Having read Siciliano's first book "Inside" and enjoyed the dark story she created with that, I enjoyed this story even more. Her writing voice is more confident, her characters come alive more on the page, and I felt the uncomfortable sense of dread better. Her decision to focus on a small family unit struggling through their own battles first, and the coming doom second, provided an intimate experience with a struggling but loving family who were easy to identify with, and it was a nice change of pace from other apocalyptic stories which draw their drama from the disaster first and the family second. Adding in an element of almost supernatural suspense and mystery was an interesting touch which felt a bit like a genre mash-up, one which I had to digest at the end of the book to see if I thought it "worked" or not. In the end, my decision is that yes, it kinda does, and Siciliano might be onto something interesting with her mash-up idea.

"Under Another Sun" is very truly a good read with real characters, a horrifying plot, and an end which ended probably the only way it could; why are you crying, my dear? It's only the end of the world.
Profile Image for Alice Moon.
104 reviews10 followers
October 1, 2020
This is a really scary book, especially that we are in 2020! After reading Under another sun, all I do is watching the sky and the birds for any sign that the end of the world is near. The same thing happened when I watched Left behind. I think apocalyptic books/movies are not for me! Because just the idea of the end of the world scares me.

About the book... It was amazing! Of course it was. D. M. Siciliano is a good horror author. Her first book, Inside is a ghost story and it captivated me from the start. So when I heard about Under another sun, my expectations were high. Fortunately, this book didn't disappoint me! The plot is really interesting, it is a combination of reality and fantasy. The characters are different from each other, you can see who is the strongest one, who is a believer and who is skeptical.

I loved reading Under another sun and I would put the author between John Saul and Stephen King, especially with that ending (it killed me!). I received an eArc from the author for free in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for April Taylor.
Author 10 books106 followers
October 10, 2020
Under Another Sun is an intriguing blend of horror, sci-fi, and a bit of fantasy. It also happens to be an eco-horror novel, which is one of my favorite sub-genres.

Ravynn and Ray are non-identical twins. Ever since Ravynn died a year ago, Ray’s life hasn’t been the same. He’s been dreaming about Ravynn, and it’s getting worse. His wife can’t stand it anymore, and to make matters worse, they are raising Ravynn’s child because her father is a drunk. At the same time, a series of escalating situations occurs. At first, they’re simply small earthquakes. But before long, all hell breaks loose.

This novel will make you think, and it will make you question the bond between twins. This book also succeeds in making one question their place in a rapidly descending world. We may not be bringing the world to an end within a year, but at the speed we’re going, it may all be over by 2050.
Profile Image for Wren Handman.
Author 12 books41 followers
November 5, 2020
This haunting, terrifying story of slowly growing destruction across the world grabs you by the collar and doesn't let go. The energy mounts slowly and never stops, reaching an intense crescendo at the end.

Ray, Elena, and Matt are great, complex characters, and their reactions to the events going on around them felt very grounded and real. The story was definitely darker than what I usually gravitate towards, but I'm glad I pushed through to the nail-biting conclusion!
Profile Image for Maya Grimley.
101 reviews7 followers
May 12, 2021
Check out this review and more on my blog, Maya’s Reviews.

Thank you to D. M. Siciliano for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

//TW: death, alcohol//

~Quick Statistics~
Overall: 5/5 Stars
Plot: 5/5 Stars
Setting: 5/5 Stars
Characters: 5/5 Stars
Writing: 5/5 Stars
Memorability: 5/5 Stars

~Quick Review~
An absolutely amazing, beautiful, horrific, mind blowing, terrifying, and tragic novel; all at the same time and perfectly threaded together to create a masterpiece. With an amazing cast of characters, a chaotic but fantastic story, and an aura of horror, D. M. Siciliano’s Under Another Sun is an original and intricate novel with a post-apocalyptic feel.

~Other Information~
Publisher: Dark Diva Press
Page Count: 330 pages

~Book Description (via Goodreads)~
A crack in time saves 99
But what do those ominous words mean?
Can Ray save his family in time?

~Characters~
Under Another Sun follows the story of a large number of characters. Ray, his wife Elena, his niece Amelia, and his brother-in-law Matt must navigate the craziness that threatens to crash around them day after day. The characters were all well written and all displayed very difficulties within their lives; they were realistically human. Many of the characters have to deal with grief and fear throughout the story, and the author displayed this perfectly. We all deal with things differently, and so did the characters.

~Writing and Setting~
D. M. Siciliano has a way of writing that reaches into your soul and absolutely tears you away from reality. I found myself holding my breath during the chaos, near tears during the grief the characters experienced, and laughing at the silliness the characters found even in the darkest of times.

Under Another Sun takes place during the end of times. No one knows what is happening to the world, except for Amelia, a little girl weirdly in touch with her ‘deceased’ mother. The world is crossing between this reality and another one, and it is “all falling down”.

~Plot~
This novel is a whirlwind of fast-paced chaos and destruction. The way the mystery of the chaos unfolds is perfectly executed but leaves me wanting to know more. I desperately want to know more about the world of Under Another Sun: what becomes of the characters after this novel, what is the place under another sun? There are so many twists and turns within this novel, that I’m probably going to read it again to get a good grasp on the impending chaos that the characters endure.

~Overall Review~
Under Another Sun is by far my favorite ‘the world is ending’ novel. While the circumstances within the novel are tragic and horrific, the novel itself is well-written, throughout, and magnificent. I highly recommend Under Another Sun, even if you aren’t necessarily a fan of novels with tragic endings and events.

Author's Website | Amazon
April 17, 2020
Genre: Genres are something which are the sure shot thing about a book. UNDER THE SUN WAS meant to be an apocalyptic horror novel. The apocalyptic part was carried out perfectly. Classifying the book in to a horror genre puts me in a dilemma. I mean , the author accomplished to terrify me at every point of the story. I wouldn't deny that . But I wasn't sure how much of the horror aspect was in it. That said, I would say that it's not for the faint hearted.

IMPRESSION: This book ruined me for all the other books I was supposed to read for the past few days.😭

TITLE: UNDER ANOTHER SUN was a title that basically described the book. To someone who has read it, this title is the core of the book.
COVER : I loved the simplicity of the cover. However, I found that it had very little elements related to the story. Maybe the author wanted to keep the readers in the dark. Don't be fooled by this pretty cover, this book is too far from pretty or simple. One thing though I personally wouldn't like on any cover is the genre. I think it just gives out the suspense. I have explained about my confusion in the genre earlier, so I don't find it fitting.

PLOT: Only one word to describe it: Absolute perfection. It still stuns me how the author accomplished to evoke so many emotions through this book which I find rarely happens to me. I have to admit , I was skeptical when I ventured into this story because it was totally different from what I usually read. I thought the characteristic features that made me like this book was it's multiple focus on the Characters. The author gave importance to the past, the present and the emotions of each and every character that I found myself living through him/her. Although I have to admit , some places in the books made me so terribly confused that I had to pick it out word by word to completely understand the implications. Each chapter had a surprise waiting for me. And believe me they'll throw you off your chair. The story line was too intense

CHARACTERS: There were so many Characters which played equal roles in the story. I'll try to not give out any spoilers though I'm itching for it.
RAVYNN : Loving how the author beautifully explains her past, her love life.. Though not much of character development, I thought enough importance was given to her in the story since she's dead.
MATT: Ravynn's husband. One of the most confusing Character for me. But also one I feel empathetic towards. Great Character development. I loved how he slipped into his past with Ravynn and how much he misses her .
AMELIA : Matt and Ravynn's daughter. A girl way too logical for her age. I found her character sweet yet stubborn .
RAY : Ravynn's brother. I think he would be the hero of the story. I feel so much of sympathy towards him for how he was seen by every one around him, his wife, his co-workers..Yet I feel he was one of the strongest Characters in the book.
ELENA : Ray's Wife. My favourite character in the book. She was the one who had to suffer the brunt of all the things happening with her husband and his niece. Though at times sh wavered from her stand to be with her husband for everything, she showed a sense of courage through out the story.

LANGUAGE : Medium difficulty. Although there were two or three typos. But since it's not been published yet, I wouldn't mind it .

P.S. My most favourite line in the book: "A crack in time saves ninety nine."

Recommendation: To every one! I WANT EVERY ONE TO READ IT. Contact me if you wanna know more about how I found the book.

Thank you author for the ARC copy.
Profile Image for John Derek.
461 reviews22 followers
June 5, 2021
Under Another Sun by D.M. Siciliano
When Ray begins to see signs that perhaps his dead sister Ravynn hadn’t been seriously deranged when she predicted the world’s end, Ray has no choice but to take notice.
His ‘deceased’ twin sister, Ravynn, is psychically warning him of impending disaster. But Ray can’t seem to convince himself or his wife that he’s not crazy. Could it be schizophrenia or something much worse?
But Ray isn’t the only one communicating with his sister. Ravynn’s surviving daughter, Amelia, seems to know things that seem illogical.
Things in the family come to a head when Ray’s brother-in-law offers evidence of something terrible coming. The evidence found in the prophetic journals Ravynn wrote before her death. Ray can’t doubt the truth any longer. The world is heading for an apocalyptic crash.
The family struggles to hold themselves together as the world they know and hold dear begins to collapse all around them.

Under Another Sun is one of those books whose genre you can place in a variety of categories. You have the ones mentioned in the description, horror, science-fiction and fantasy. But you could also add to that list thriller and suspense. It was that good a novel.
The author has written an emotionally charged roller-coaster of a novel.
With memorable characters who are so emotionally charged, that you can really get involved in the story.
You can feel the pain and anguish that Matt and Ray go through after the loss of Ravynn.
Under The Sun has taken the whole armageddon situation and given it a slight twist. It certainly gives you pause for thought throughout the book.
It is a heart-wrenching story of how a family try and cope through unprecedented circumstances.
This is a post-apocalyptic novel and a work of fiction, in some cases horrific fiction. But, many of the scenarios mentioned in Under The Sun shows we are not that far away from reality. But as the Sci-fi element of the book unfolds, you escape this reality for something much weirder.
The writing style crisp and not overly complicated. The author paints a visually vivid picture of a world gone and going bad.
There is plenty of twist and turns which keeps the reader guessing.
I certainly recommend this book. Under The Sun is a thrilling sci-fi fantasy novel that will keep you riveted.
Profile Image for Mary.
355 reviews9 followers
May 26, 2021
Amelia balled her hands into tiny fists, scrunched up her face and with anger and said "the earth is MAD". Amelia is a small child, but she knows what is happening, why birds are falling from the sky and tornados, tsunami's, deadly volcanic eruptions and horrific earthquakes and happening more and more frequently. Ray and his wife Elena are raising Amelia since Ray's twin sister Ravynn died a year earlier. The couple begin to have concerns for Ray's mental health as he "visits" Rayvnn in his dreams and then begins to hear her voice during waking hours when he's near water. Amelia knows what is actually happening and she says something that begins a quest for safety as the planet encounters daily and deadly disasters.
Under Another Sun is a real gem of a book. This is an apocalypse-in-process tale. We witness the characters fear and bewilderment over the strange and devastating disasters. I couldn't help but think of our real world these days and what seems to be more frequent natural disasters and violence. There was a magical, mystical quality to portions of this book that I enjoyed as well. I highly recommend Under Another Sun. This was one of those special books that I was excited to sit down and open each day.
#UnderAnotherSun #Netgalley
149 reviews
Read
June 12, 2021
“A crack in time saves 99”
Ominous words, that will have consequences for all humanity. Under Another Sun is a fantastic read. Ray is a solid family man, who must be going crazy because he is talking to his dead twin sister. Until more events take place to make him and his wife realise that perhaps, he might not be so crazy after all. While Ray is having his breakdown, Ray’s brother in law is having his own melt down, reading his dead wifes’ (and Ray’s twin sister) many journals. At what point does a family history of mental illness no longer become the excuse for all her ramblings? Nor for Ray's seeming delusions? And when do people accept the world is ending? At what point is having too much knowledge more of a burden than a help? While Ray fights to save his family, the world continues to disintegrate.
This story brings you along on a real journey of humanity at its most real. The things that people do to hold their families together, to save their loved ones. While doing this it mixes in some really bizarre sci fi origin story teasers, that leave you wanting to know more. The ambiguity at points only leave you sad, horrified, and turning the pages...until there are no more to turn.

10/10 recommend!

*I received this book from NetGalley for review but all opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Dave.
8 reviews
May 25, 2021
Received a copy of this book for a fair review:

I find it hard to categorize Under Another Sun into a strict genre. It has elements of a character-driven dramatic story, a sci-fi end-of-the-world thriller and a slow-burn tragedy. I enjoyed it regardless of what bucket people try to fit it into. It was not the best thriller/sci-fi novel I've read, but it was fun and it kept me engaged to the very end.

The story revolves around a couple trying to navigate life's challenges between work and marriage while trying to raise their niece who seems to have a very special maternal bond that has extended beyond her mother's death. The husband/uncle, Ray, finds himself struggling with work, coping with the death of his sister and meeting the needs of his wife. There are very few continuity issues I had with the book and the dialog and emotional responses all felt real and plausible.

As time moves on, reality begins to shift underneath their feet as the literal ground is also doing so. The world seems to be in the grip of massive cataclysmic events reflecting the growing rift within the family. Add to this old boyfriends, alcoholic fathers and volcanoes, and you'll see why I didn't spend an evening without this book in my hand.

While the pace moved a *little* slow for my taste, surprises kept me moving to the end. I will say that the end lacked a definitive "ending" which makes me think there could be a follow-up in the future. With that said, if there is, I will read it (which should, in and of itself, tell you enough).

3-1/2 stars.
Profile Image for N.A. Dwyer.
Author 1 book5 followers
May 4, 2020
The story line of this book is so interesting. I really liked how it played out. Ray is a teacher who lost his sister and adopted her daughter when she died. He’s trying desperately to hold on to reality, but reality is crumbling.

His wife Elena is one of my favorite characters. She is just so resilient, and she tries so hard and does so much. The daughter, Amelia is a great character too. I love how this book showed the magic of being a child and how children are so much better at adapting and believing than us adults are!!

This author writes these crazy hectic scenes so well. I love it when a book makes me feel like I’m right there with the characters and D.M. Siciliano does that! I felt for Ray and Elena. Seeing both sides of their story made the understanding of everything going on and the impact of that on their lives feel so real. And I loved that. I loved getting the different perspectives.

My only criticism for this book was that at the end, it took a while for the big thing to happen. The last few scenes, amazing as they were, started to drag. But just when I started thinking that, something crazy would happen! And the final scene, totally worth the wait!

If you want an interesting story with some apocalyptic tendencies that will leave you breathless and in wonder, check this book out!
Profile Image for Lynda Stevens.
225 reviews6 followers
July 7, 2021
It all starts with a car accident, but only the child at this point survives what ought to have been a certain drowning, when said car falls into the river. Then the girl grows up, but she is never the same. She has some kind of a special Sight, but her alcoholic husband doesn't understand when he discovers her diary in which various global disasters are predicted. Then she succumbs to one of these.

Her daughter goes to live with her aunt and uncle. Her uncle, being the twin of her mother, is also plagued by the gift, or curse, of foresight. Both he and his wife fear he is crazy, in runs in the family. Meanwhile, the portents for some kind of global crisis, are increasing by the day. But will the family be able to unite and support each other in time, to save themselves?

This novel knows how to ratchet up a real sense of deep unease and eeriness as a possible apocalypse continues to u fold (all this of course comes at a time when global portents do point at a critical tipping point, though perhaps without any supernatural element). Will the spirit of the child Amelia's mother truly be able to lead the family to rescue, and who in general is 'meant' ' to be saved anyway.

The ending is truly bittersweet in a way that might satisfy those who don't like pat endings, disappoint others. Either way, recommended to those who enjoy this kind of literature.
Profile Image for Imogen Night.
21 reviews6 followers
October 3, 2020
"Under Another Sun" was a page turner from start to finish. As with "Inside", the plot was captivating, keeping me glued to the pages. Well developed characters, who evoke all sorts of emotion, real and wonderfully eerie atmosphere, just the way I like it! Five stars and if you want to start spooky month with a bang, "Under Another Sun" is the perfect novel to do it!
Profile Image for Donna.
Author 7 books59 followers
June 22, 2021
One thing I think most humans fear is the end of the world. We think it won't happen but if it does it'll be long after we're dead. But what if it started happening today, or tomorrow?

This isn't in your face horror, it's a subtle decline into an apocalypse you can't escape.
1 review
Want to read
April 10, 2020
Waiting for it’s release! Sounds like another on your edge of the seat read!

Profile Image for Emmie B.
28 reviews
May 25, 2021
This is a post-apocalyptic book, a genre/ setting I quite enjoy lately. It touches on difficulty subject matters such as loss, grief and what it's like to lose a twin. Which I found really emotive and really felt for Ray. As I can't imagine how hard this must be to deal with. The feeling of the consequences of knowing too much is familiar to how I felt when I read Frankenstein, which is one of my favourite books! And also with the original Flatliners film starring Kevin Bacon and Julia Roberts. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if this got made into a film
Profile Image for Joe Betro.
53 reviews
February 13, 2021
I must admit, at first I was I bit disappointed in this one. But then I realized I was going off of my preconceived notion of what an apocalypse should be like. But the author puts a great new angle on the typical apocalyptic novel, and once I let go of my bias towards what it should be, I started to really enjoy this story. And in the end, it was another solid novel by this new author of the horror genre.
Profile Image for Catrina.
216 reviews18 followers
March 30, 2021
"You're running out of time...
A crack in time saves ninety-nine..."

Overall, a solid read/listen. I give it 3.5 stars!

At first, the riddle sounded so cliché and something about it struck me as odd, immediately bringing the jaunt "99 bottles of beer on the wall" to the forefront of my mind every time I heard it. I didn't like it. But as the story progressed... it all made sense. The ending left me reeling with questions, however. It would be very intriguing to see a sequel, maybe a novella, of a thorough epilogue of what actually happened to the Earth and those characters you become invested in.

Profile Image for Ellen.
155 reviews3 followers
September 28, 2020
Honestly, although the buildup for me was a little slow, I loved this book! Not my usual read, I love the other work I've read by Ms. Siciliano and decided I'd be happy to give it a shot. There were definitely notes of horror, and though not quite dystopian, this book is about the end of the world.
At first I thought it would be about saving the world, then I thought it would be about saving as many people as they could, THEN I thought other things hahaha. The point is, this story will keep you guessing and if you don't cry at the end like I did, I will call BULLSHIT on you.
Ravynn defies the odds and survives a car crash only to die several years later in a freak tsunami off the coast of California. It defies all logic and reason. The real kicker is she predicted her own death, and the death of millions more. How did she know? Did she really die? Is there somewhere else she went Under Another Sun?
Displaying 1 - 30 of 41 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.