Start by marking “The Pruning (American Dreams #2)” as Want to Read:
The Pruning (American Dreams #2)

The Pruning

(American Dreams #2)

Clarissa cruelly discovers that you cannot always escape your past. A clandestine meeting is about to test her faith, and expose secrets that could challenge her marriage.
Will Clarissa and her husband cling to God’s promise for a new beginning? Or be destroyed by tragedies and trials.
Published July 3rd 2019 by WordCrafts Press

To ask other readers questions about The Pruning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pruning

Start your review of The Pruning (American Dreams #2)
Pat
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Pruning by Jan Cline tells the story of the Wilding family, who leave heartache and despair behind in dust bowl Kansas for the promise of a new life in the Pacific Northwest. This book held my attention from the very first scene. Clarissa, wife to Frank and mother of two boys, runs smack dab into her past the moment the family steps off the train in their new location.

The author does a wonderful job of developing characterization, taking us to the heart of the conflicting emotions of her ch
Phyllis Rundell
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Book #2 in the American Dreams series and, if you have read Book #1, you will recognize many of the same characters along with some new ones. The character development is fantastic and the author has a gift of making them so real and believable that you almost feel a part of the story. The story is rich in mercy, grace and forgiveness. I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it. Don't miss this one.
Christa MacDonald
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a lot of fiction from this particular time period so I was looking forward to this book. I didn't read the first in the series and I found this one stood on it's own very well. The plot moves along nicely and kept me turning pages. I was so rooting for one particular character's redemption. The theme of forgiveness runs through as well as faith in God's Providence.
Gloria Latham
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Wonderful Story

I loved this story. The characters are so real and struggle with real issues. God is definitely the answer, but I like how they're like all of us by not allowing that truth in right away. Their actions, feelings and thoughts are so human. Jan Cline writes great stories.
Marty Moore
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished "The Pruning". God sure blessed Jan Cline with an amazing talent! This book is phenomenal! I am more impressed with each new book that I read! Such an amazing storyline, what an even more amazing lesson in grace, forgiveness and mercy. Just spectacular.
Mike Parker
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordcrafts-press
Beautifully written, poignant story of love, family, trust, and forgiveness during a largely forgotten period in American history.
Carrie Del
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a deeply emotional story of facing your past and trusting God with the future. Cline presents a rich image of life in Depression-era America.
Linda
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This follow up story in Clarissa's life lived up to my anticipation. Going from the dust bowl in the first book in the series to a farm in the Pacific Northwest with her family must have shocked Clarissa's worn down body. But what waited for her at the destination shocked her soul. And that's what this story dealt with. More leaning on God, more grace needed to face a different kind of storm, this time a family situation. Frank and James, her husband and son, had to come to terms and learn to tr ...more
Gretchen Louise
Wow! Jan dove deep into character development in this second book in the series, making us feel every emotion of anger and worry, fear and distrust.

With beautiful parable-like references to pruning and forgiveness, this is a tale that makes you long for redemption, not only in the book, but in your own life.
Vickie L.
Oct 17, 2019
Kaitlin Covel
Jan 11, 2020

• The Book of Lost Friends
  • Under This Same Sky (Prairie Sky, #1)
  • Fiery Red Hair, Emerald Green Eyes and a Vicious Irish Temper: The Absolutely True Story of the World's First Female Pirate
  • A Bride for Wyatt (The Proxy Christmas Series Book 29)
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • Angela's Treasures
  • Kiss Me Once Again
  • A Purpose True (Women of the Heartland, #3)
  • Pressing Forward
  • Believe
  • Ill Gotten Gain
  • The Five Barred Gate
  • the Escape Place: A Woman's Guide to Running Away from Home Without Leaving
  • The Whistle Stop Canteen
  • On The Homefront
  • Under Moonlit Skies (Prairie Sky Book 3)
  • The Marshal's Mission
  • Shadow of Shame (The Shadow Series, #1)
I'm an author, freelance writer and speaker from Idaho. I recently retired from directing a writer's conference I founded, but continue to be involved in the writing and publishing world. I love to speak to women's groups, book clubs, writer's groups, and at writer's conferences.

My love for history and old stuff keeps me busy researching for my novels and feeds my hobby of giving new life to tire

American Dreams (3 books)
  • Heaven's Sky (American Dreams #1)
  • All My Goodbyes (American Dreams #3)

News & Interviews