Start by marking “Life Ever After” as Want to Read:
Life Ever After

Life Ever After

Tech City: Society is obsessed with relentless progress and the possibility of eternal life. A woman and a man meet in waiting room, anticipating a procedure that will incorporate the latest science and technology into their minds and bodies, heightening their awareness and increasing their productivity. Years pass, their relationship deepens and fades, and they grow incre ...more
Audiobook
Published June 27th 2019 by AO Media, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Life Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Ever After

Start your review of Life Ever After
Lena
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
No amount of production value could change the fact that this was just two people arguing for an hour.
Sharon :)
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The narration in this sci-fi was phenomenal! Wish it were longer!!!
Nicole
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really neat short audiobook about a future where humans can replace failing body parts with mechanical ones to become cyborgs... but then have to decide how far they want to go. I really liked the way this one was produced. Narration was split between the two main characters, with a separate narrator for each. Everything is done as if it was either dialogue or an internal monolog, and for this story it really worked.
David
Jul 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cyborgs, builders, clingy AI-enhanced neurotics
A short story about how advancing technology allows people to be wired in, enhanced, integrated with AIs that make decisions for them, even feel for them, and still struggle to be their own person. A man and a woman repeatedly meet at the clinic to get the next set of enhancements, or undo the last one. They have relationships, break up, reverse roles, and generally have a lot of emotional drama.

Not quite transhumanist, and very light on the sci-fi, with pretty good voice acting.
Lexxi Kitty
There's a review I read before I listened to this audio book. Something along the lines of '2 hours of two robots arguing'. And . . . yeah, this is an hour and a half of 2 robots arguing. Or, in a way, if Siri and Alexa dated. (view spoiler)

Right, so, two people - a voice that sounds more manish and a voice that sounds more womanish - live in the future adding electronic stuff to themselves (in the opening
Katie
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
Oh boy, yet another tale about the ~evils of techology~, how original. At least it's mildly interesting to see how the characters and their differing opinions interact and how those opinions change. I didn't realize until I was nearly finished listening that this story is divided into tracks/chapters - the characters go through six procedures - but there is no indication of this at all in the audio. That would have been extremely helpful in understanding when scene changes and time skips were ha ...more
Hollie
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
I loved the audiobook voice actors but the story was a little confusing ! I still didn’t get it !
Thomas
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Life ever after is a long way from being everlasting, being an hour and a half of rapid-fire dialogue connected by brief bits of stream of consciousness. It’s innovative though I can’t say it grabbed me.

This seems more about weirdly dysfunctional relationships than the big questions it asks for which I could only discern shallow answers. I suppose I might’ve missed something in this whirlwind of a production. The author makes an effort at giving a sense of the passage of time, decades go by, but
Alan Teder
AI Enhanced Humans
Review of the Audible Originals audiobook (June 2019)

Maybe it was the robotic delivery of much of the text here, which admittedly was in keeping with the theme of humans gradually converted and enhanced into immortal beings, but I just could not get engaged with this 90 minute Audible Theatre audiobook. A couple meets while undergoing enhancement procedures at various stages in their lives and debates about it. There just didn't seem to be much drama or suspense.

Life Ever Afte
Alaina
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's about two robots meeting each other and then basically wanting to live different lives.

Honestly, Life Ever After was confusing and a bit boring. It had potential to be pretty good but I just feel like things were just rushed for me. I also feel like important information was just skimmed over or never mentioned at all. It would've been great to have learned all of what happened behind the scenes.. but I guess I'll just go with whatever this little novella had in it.
Kai Van
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2020
here's a story of two people having the same argument over and over again. they shouldn't be together, but they keep crossing paths, and technology could be bad or it could be great or who even knows.

I just think this could've been way better. not a terrible concept. not highly original, but still. well produced and acted, but not the best. like a weak black mirror episode.
Jonatas C. D.
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This really could be a great episode of Black Mirror!
Also, the plot reminded of some life moments and, although short its grasp went a little further... I liked but because of this, I might not return to it.
I do recommend it!
Cassandra Joseph
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Chronicles a Dystopian couple as they move through “upgrades” and their relationship struggles. Glad it was short.
Julie
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Reminded me a little of The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when they started erasing each other from their memories.
Isabel
Jul 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Quick/fun/interesting
Liz
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible-original
2.5 Mildly interesting. Glad it was free. I did like the narrators.
Janice Dimock
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it
An audible original, this story is more like a play. Lots of dialog. It takes a while to get into it, but then some pretty serious themes come into play. An interesting read.
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Sep 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Fascinating and weird. Definitely gives more questions than it answers. What does it mean to be human? How can AI and machines change us? Well acted as well on Aubible.
Deirdre Gerber
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet and melancholy story about romance during the age of super high tech, where both cities and humans are being constantly improved through technology. How much improvement is too much, and where does one stop? This short story would have made (or maybe soon will make?) a great episode on Black Mirror! Great narration; the story is told strictly through the dialogue of the 2 main characters.
Wanda Hartzenberg
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
Seriously the 3 stars is for the narrators. The story is one long fight the level of philosophy reminded me of 1 year philosophy discussions at varsity. I outgrew this plight once faced with real life. And anybody in a relationship can tell you unequivocally that the inner dialogue is all too human. The characters that is questioning their feelings.....wondering what is real vs what is AI? Please.

The voices though. Amazing.
Emily
Jul 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Short. Interesting. Not my favorite.
Roberta  Lynne  Ruben
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Biotechnology and data drive vision of our future. An Audible tale in which humans can choose to live forever if the agree to give up their memory and become bionic/robots that never age. Based on questions one answers on a computer survey and an interview with a female non-human. A rather negative thinking human is totally changed into a happy, healthy, revitalizing version of himself who choose to live forever but remembers nothing of his past. This science fiction tale offers humans the right ...more
Elyse
Did not know what to expect from this one but it was really neat and I would be interested in a longer story! Deals with the question of how much are you still you if you replace your insides with mechanical parts?
Angela
Oct 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Alyssa Bruno
Jul 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
A cautionary tale about the evils of technology and how being “connected” can ultimately be detrimental. Both voice actors have great voices, but the constant intensity of their conversations became difficult to listen to for the duration of the piece. More levels might have made this piece more impactful.
Sajecha
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I don’t know if I liked this story or not. It was rather depressing. There was no happily ever after, well at least to my standards.

This story borders on that Netflix show Black Mirror, just not that great but the same concept. The actors however, would’ve been perfect for that show.

The actors were superb. I envisioned both actors and they were exactly how I envisioned them when I Goggled them. They were the perfect voices for this performance. I don’t think I would’ve finished the book if it w
Shanan
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible, 2020
I am a little torn by my feelings about this one. In some ways, it gave me a lot to think about in regards to the concept of "progress." In this case, progress comes both in the form of going through procedures that will bring the characters long life, surgically enhanced connections with each other, and finally artificial intelligence. We get to go through the life cycle of their relationship with each other as they go through each procedure and make decisions about the next procedure they will ...more
Mark Pedigo
Jan 24, 2021 rated it liked it
(Maybe 3.5 stars on a good day. I'm on the fence.)

If you could live forever, in good health and of sound mind, would you want to? What if you had to become someone else to do it? We all learn and grow (hopefully) in our lives, so don't we become someone else anyway? If your identity is based on your experiences and your experiences/memories of experiences are commoditized and manipulated by you and outside forces, then what the hell does *you* mean? This short audio book delves into these types
TheGeekProblem
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
The story talks about a couple of strangers that meet just before both start these procedures that are supposed to upgrade them.

The story is told through conversations in this waiting room, during different periods of time in their lives. From strangers to lovers, back to strangers again.

The conversations are delightful, and truly gripping. They are funny and witty and awkward sometimes, and they are suspenseful and heart wrenching other times. You go through a range of emotions just as the char
Javier
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you are lucky enough to come across a story that is both thought provoking and entertaining and will truly pull at your heartstrings while making you examine a deeper philosophical meaning to life. I don't think I will ever want to listen to this story again. It was too real. It was amazing. I cared about the characters. I loved the social commentary on how the more technology progresses we are losing the human connection and our connection with nature.
These are the types of stories th
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Real Sherlock
  • Agent 355
  • Bella Bella
  • The Roommate (Cormac Reilly, #0.7)
  • Herbie