Start by marking “A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:
A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs

A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs

Listening Length: 2 hours and 42 minutes

Most children go through a dinosaur phase. Learning all the tongue twisting names, picking favorites based on ferocity, armor, or sheer size. For many kids this love of ‘terrible lizards’ fizzles out at some point between starting and leaving primary school. All those fancy names slowly forgotten, no longer any need for a favorite.

Fo
Audible Audio, 3 pages
Published July 4th 2019 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs

Start your review of A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
Montzalee Wittmann
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs by Ben Garrod and narrated by author is a book that sparked the kid in me again! Who doesn't love dinosaurs? My youngest son answered the question of how old he was with, "I two year old dinosaur!" The next year he was a 3 year old dinosaur, by the next year he was, "I am four years old and I have a dinosaur. " He told everyone he was going to be a paleontologist. Most people just looked at me for help, they weren't getting any.
This book brought back that fun! Going
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
I cannot wait to review this rubs together three-nailed terrapod claws

Sheila Beaumont
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This well-produced audiobook was both fun and educational. I was fascinated by dinosaurs as a child, and I remember borrowing stacks of books on them from the library. In my grown-up years, I've been a big Jurassic Park fan (both books and movies).

Back when I was a kid, no one knew that many dinosaurs had feathers. Or that today's birds are basically small dinosaurs!

While I enjoyed the audiobook, what I really need is an illustrated book so I can see the dinosaurs and how all their names are spe
Shaina
First love of when I was a kid= dinosaurs and the second was flying unicorns. Not much has changed except now I like the Phoenix too. Two of these are mythical. One ... all real.
This was insightful and entertaining and worth the choice of originals that month.
Ross Blocher
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs was a real delight to listen to. It's an Audible exclusive that was offered for free a while back, so I picked it up and ended up listening to it twice. It's only two and a half hours, and plays like a short podcast series. It's all about re-engaging with your childhood love of dinosaurs, recapturing that child-like focus on collecting details, and updating our understanding from the days and craze of Jurassic Park, where most people left off. You'll get fun discuss ...more
Rachel Aranda
3-3.5 stars

This was my husband’s choice for what we listened to together so I didn’t know what to expect from it since he got it for free. I liked this listen but it wasn’t my favorite audiobook.

The last 3 chapters were the ones I liked the most as those topics interested me a lot (female paleontologists, aquatic and mammal creatures, and what dinosaurs could eat are a few examples) but the first 3 took a bit for me to get into. All were interesting with interviews from specialists in their fie
Salema
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun audiobook (and free) to have for my commute during my Prague-Spain trip. It was educational and while I am a self declared nerd, I do not really have any favorite dinosaurs.

You have some of the world’s leading paleontologists and evolutionary biologists explaining the nature of dinosaurs, their evolution, the diet, their build, and the strategies with which they’ve approached their research to derive the information that we have today. It helps us map the transition of organisms
David
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: T-Rex lovers, bone hunters, chicken ranchers, Michael Chrichton
This was targeted at adults who outgrew their "dinosaur phase" but wanted to hear the latest research on dinos, so it was a fun listen for everyone who ever loved dinosaurs as a kid. The narrator interviews several paleontologists, asks everyone who their favorite dinosaur is (with some good-natured joking about the inevitable layman's answer, "T-Rex" or "Velociraptor") and talks a lot about the various geological epochs in which dinosaurs lived, and why pteranodons and icythosaurs aren't dinosa ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply a joy! Whether you are an aficionado or a neophyte, author Ben Garrod has something for you, including a charming, humorous delivery.
Leah
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really loved this! It was super interesting, but it only whet my appetite on the subject. I know want to dig deeper into how different dinosaurs of today are compared to what I remembered.

It's incredible to hear how scientists have investigated and discovered the evolution of dinosaurs and ancient reptiles.
seak
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, audio
Definitely worth the 2+ hours of time investment. I enjoyed learning a little more about some more recent discoveries about dinosaurs, getting into some of the "feathers" discoveries, etc. Of course, you can't have a dinosaur book without mentioning Jurassic Park and also pointing out that they got the velociraptors all wrong.

First, I think this is why I have a hard time with non-fiction and stick with fantasy/scifi, I will never understand how people studying a thing we've never actually seen,
Deb✨
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly good and entertaining audiobook. I actually learned some interesting facts about current paleontology and things that the archeologists have been working on, both in their digs and their research. They talked about how dinosaurs evolved to exist and changed from small ones to the huge ones. Then they also discussed what caused the extinction of the dinosaurs and the five mass extinction events that have happened on earth so far. They discussed the sixth one that is curren ...more
Amanda Sola
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don’t know why being an adult means I don’t want to learn about the rawrs but I wanted more dinosaurs and less chemistry of the asteroids.
Lexxi Kitty
This is another free book I heard because I'm a member of Audible and this was free. And about dinosaurs.

I've not had much luck getting myself into listening to books. A few things here or there I've liked. Mostly nonfiction. And mostly because it is hard for me to pay attention, not have my mind wander. Then I'll have no idea what's going on because I'm not picking up everything. Also doesn't help that I have trouble telling characters apart if there is just one narrator.

Well this here is nonf
Stacy GeekRemixALot
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Did you love reading about dinosaurs as a kid and wish there was a similarly exciting resource written for adults? This is great!

I was definitely fascinated with dinosaurs as a kid, but the book aptly explains how many kids sort of grow out of this as they age. It was also really neat to hear about some common misconceptions that people have, especially with the new dino discoveries and research that have happened since the 90s.

It's a quick listen, but informative and was the perfect Audible fre
C.L. Cannon
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who didn't want to be a paleontologist as a kid? Especially my generation who grew up on Jurassic Park! This was a wonderful refresher for grown-ups that was fun. It wasn't a boring list of dinos, but an exploration that makes you want to grab a brush and a pick and get digging!
Silvia
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This was good but sadly not as engaging as a something about dinosaurs should be :((
TRex_TeaTime
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful audible book; educational and entertaining.

I'm an avid dinosaur fan and I still learnt some new things. I particularly appreciated the wide range of different experts consulted, on a vast array of different topics, to present a vivid and holistic view of the dinosaurs' time on Earth.

I also loved hearing about Mary Anning and the paleontologists of the past.

Definitely recommend if you can't get enough of dinosaurs!
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this audiobook by Audible audio about the dinosaurs and how they evolved. It is a quick fun listen, and it talks about the sixth extinction (man) and how we are walking right into our own demise. The production of greenhouse gases, and other toxins, is affecting a lot of species now, and killing off those species is leading us down a path.
Hanne Page
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I'm one of those people who was planning to become a paleontologist when I was a teenager. This audiobook caught my full attention from the first second until the last. Amazing what has been discovered about dinosaurs since I changed my career choice to something more mundane!
MangoLoverReads
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 - Audible member included selection. This one was very informative for a short piece. I learned and enjoyed.
Bella
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fun! Quick, engaging, and educational. I’d forgotten how much I love dinosaurs and this audiobook made me look for more dinosaur books.
Stephen
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
First off - this isn't really a book despite how Audible packages, this comes off more as if it were supposed to be a 6 episode limited radio series (the author repeatedly refers to things mentioned at the beginning of the program) and this contains a number of interviews with other scientists.

But it's definitely a great listen. Ben Garrod (an evolutionary biologist) is a great guide, and this really is a reminder of how cool dinosaurs are (though, frankly it left me wanting to learn about other
David
Apr 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think my expectations were too high for this free Audible Original. I was really "into" dinosaurs as a kid, though I subsequently came to understand a lot of what I had learned was simply wrong (did the Brontosaurus ever actually exist?). I figured this short guide would be really interesting. I liked it, but even so it was somewhat of a letdown.

There was some good material. I was surprised to hear that two paleontologists are at odds over which one discovered the biggest (heaviest) dinosaur i
Mia R.
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though this is being sold as a "book" you can clearly tell it's more of a compilation of podcasts or some other episodic series. However, this doesn't take away from the overall recording. If anything, it gives clear "chapter breaks" in the information.

Definitely a great digest explanation of dinosaurs.
Morgan
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for pure enjoyment!! I love dinosaurs and I've always been so in love with science. I really enjoyed listening to this quick book on my drive to work and home. I actually learned quite a bit of information I never knew about dinosaurs! Definitely recommend!
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
such a fan of Dinos, i loved it ... really enjoy learning ... i think it is fun to hear things u have never heard before ... and this is full of goodies ... done so well ... not boring ... entertaining.
Claudia
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
My name is Claudia and my favorite dinosaur is Archaeopteryx, är-kē-ˈäp-tə-riks. A bird-like dinosaur? A dinosaur-like bird? Both 🤓
Awww! What a wonderful audiobook 😍 This book is engaging! Entertaining! And just full of beautiful nerdy facts about the latest paleontological research.
Amy Ingalls
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, nonfiction
This was really good. The only thing that would make it better is if they made a book with full-color illustrations-- that would be such a good resource in the classroom!
Rob Thompson
As you move from a child to an adult the obsession with dinosaurs wears off. Ben Garrod wants to change this. He is an English evolutionary biologist, primatologist and broadcaster. Ben is also Professor of Evolutionary Biology and Science Engagement at the University of East Anglia, Norwich. In each episode expert paleontologists run though the history and science of dinosaurs. The series contains everything from:
their inception,
the distinct eras,
scientific and archaeological techniques used by

• The Real Sherlock
  • Life Ever After
  • Agent 355
  • The Space Race
  • African American Athletes Who Made History
  • King of Sting: The Story of Australian Conman Peter Foster. An Audible Original
  • The Man Who Knew The Way to the Moon
  • It Burns: The Scandal-Plagued Race to Breed the World’s Hottest Chilli
  • History of Bourbon
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • Dan Rather: Stories of a Lifetime
  • The Roommate (Cormac Reilly, #.7)
  • Thicker Than Water