Start by marking “Even If We Break” as Want to Read:
Even If We Break

Even If We Break

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Marieke Nijkamp comes a shocking new thriller about a group of friends tied together by a game and the deadly weekend that tears them apart.

FIVE friends go to a cabin.
FOUR of them are hiding secrets.
THREE years of history bind them.
TWO are doomed from the start.
ONE person wants to end this.
NO ONE IS SAFE.

Are you ready to pla

Published September 15th 2020 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Even If We Break, please sign up.
Minou⁷ there is not any explicit romance or much swearing but there are mentions of gore etc. Hope that helps a little!
Jo Ladzinski Ever is nobinary and uses they/them pronouns, while Finn is trans and uses he/him pronouns.

Start your review of Even If We Break
megs_bookrack
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was ok

Y'all, I don't even know what to say. Even If We Break was a huge disappointment for me.

I knew going in that the reviews weren't the greatest. Regardless of the super interesting synopsis, it seemed a lot of Readers weren't enjoying it, but why?

Frequently, I find myself in the minority opinion on polarizing books, so in spite of the negative reviews, I still wanted to give it a go.

I love slightly cheesy, Teen Slasher stories, particularly those featuring weekend getaways. This book sounded like
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Oh, no! I hear the choo choo sounds of the disappointment train is about to arrive to the “this story is going anywhere” stop! Five friends in the cabin with secrets gave me “Cabin in the Woods’ vibes but promising premise and exciting start turned into something slow, repetitive, boring drama. And slowly all those brilliant potentials start to drown in a muddy place as my dreams about reading action packed, full of adrenalin rush thriller disappear forever!

I like the representation of transgend
Cesar
Oct 15, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 star.

I'm going to try and write this review in the nicest way possible though I have a feeling I'll fail because this book frustrated me to no end. Rarely are there books that frustrate and now Even If We Break Joins that list.

I can't describe this book. I can't describe it because it doesn't know what it wants to be. It wants to be slasher horror with character growth but it fails in so many ways that I don't even know why this book was written.

Get ready folks. Strap in and let's go for a ri
Books R Life ☕
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: won-in-a-givaway
I recieved this book from a GoodReads giveaway! I really enjoyed reading this! The beginning was a little slow going at first, but ended up picking up not to long into it. Each chapter is about one of the characters. And each character has experience something that has made their friendships change within the group. They have always spent their summers togeather in the family cabin☠this year is their last.... And definitely the Scariest!! ☠ recommend if your into suspense!! Great Halloween/ Fall ...more
C.G. Drews
I flew through this one! It's very addictive and compelling, and I very much had chills several times. It also has such a fantastically neurodiverse and queer cast that it was truly a pleasure to read. (How often do we get books with autistic narrators where the book isn't JUST focused on autism?! Not enough. I appreciate Maddie so much.) Ever and Finn are trans, and there's bisexual and chronic pain rep too. It's focused on Role Play (I admittedly don't know anything about it 😭) and gaming and ...more
Dennis
Sep 04, 2020 rated it liked it
To be honest, this wasn’t my favorite. However, I did really enjoy the social dialogue and issues presented with some of the main characters. The diversity in this book has allowed me to up my rating from 2 to 3 stars. Definitely a very YA vibe so if you battle on some YA books, maybe skip this one. This one is definitely more middle grade focused (in my opinion).
Kelly
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Even if we break was disappointing. I was hoping for a gripping mystery/thriller but unfortunately, I never managed to connect to the characters even though it had good representation (queer & autistic characters). I also never connected with the plot which confused me at first when I saw that their "game" was actually role play. I thought why not, and I tried to get into the book but sadly, it left me a little bored and lost.

I was wondering for a while if someone really died or if it was part
Anniek
I started this book last night, then stayed up to finish it, because I absolutely needed to know how it would end. And admittedly, it was pretty scary at times, although I'll be the first to admit I'm easily spooked. It was a very fun thriller, especially because I loved the characters, and I loved the RPG aspect and how it was weaved into the story. I will say I figured out who did it immediately, which was a bit of a shame to me, but I still had a really good time reading this.

Most importantly
Angela Staudt
Oct 03, 2020 rated it liked it
"As I catch my breath, I glance around at the group. We're a collection of individuals, all of us broken, all of us fragile. But the thing that scares me the most isn't that I might break us apart farther. It's that I want to."

Even If We Break follows five people who used to be best friends and now barely hang out. They get together one last time at a cabin buried deep in the woods, because they will be graduating and going their separate ways soon. Going into this book I thought it was going to
Mara YA Mood Reader
Yaasss bring on the creep factor just in time for Fall!!

4/20/2020
iam
Absolutely terrifying horror thriller about five roleplaying friends going to a haunted cabin, that shines through its queer and disabled representation.

Read the full review on the blog!

Content warnings include: murder, character death, graphic violence and injury, emotional torture, ableism, addiction to painkillers, transphobia.
Mentions of car accident, getting beaten up, poverty.

Even If We Break immediately scores with its heavy atmosphere from page one onwards. Even without the actual horror
Drewthereader20
First book for December is finished and we are kicking the month off with a ya thriller and a 4 star read! RTC SOON!(:
Alex
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 7-8-and-9
Thanks to the publisher for providing a digital ARC of Even If We Break in exchange for an honest review.

I'm a self proclaimed horror junky. I used to pride myself on having read every single goosebumps book (published pre 2013), I grew up on scooby doo, then goosebumps, then are you afraid of the dark and the haunting hour and now I watch and read every horror story I can get my hands on. Even If We Break is not a horror story.

Even in kids horror, one of the most important aspects of a scary st
Beth
This was a DNF at page 88.

Firstly I want to say that I am pretty sure it’s me and not the book because I went in with completely different expectations so when it wasn’t what I thought it completely threw me off.

The book itself has a lot of representation which is always good to see and I was intrigued to see what the characters secrets were, however to the point where I was I just want interested enough. It’s not like I’ve got to a point where it’s hard to DNF because it wasn’t.

Once again it’s
Alaina
...what did I just read?

Even If We Break almost broke me. The beginning honestly sounded pretty cool, and so did the synopsis, but I was just so bored with everything that was happening. Also, the whole game thing is still weird and creepy to me. SO yeah, don't put me down for that game EVER.

In this, 5 friends are going to a cabin to play a game or whatever. At first, I thought it was like roleplaying something like dungeons and dragons. I honestly didn't know what I was getting into and once I
Sharon :)
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
This could have been a 5 but it left me with alot of unanswered questions
Esmée
Apr 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
EDIT: I decided to write a more cohesive post about passive and unintentional ableism in readers and what is wrong with saying things like ''The diversity/representation is the only good thing in the book.'' followed by calling the passages about trauma recollection ''annoying'' and an overstimulated autistic character ''whiny''.
EDIT: Worded the below review a bit better.
_____

This book was amazing! I really love how the disability, mental illness, trauma and transness of the characters is inter
Izzie
Aug 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Source Books for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book follows a group of 5 best friends who head up to a remote cabin for the weekend to play one last game in their invented role play world. Relationships are already fractured, but when mysterious notes start turning up and one of them goes missing it quickly spirals into a dark game for survival that none of them could have anticipated.
What I Liked:
Characters. This book had 5 POV characters, Ever, Finn, L
Debbie
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author and definitely won't be my last! I can't wait to read Before I Let Go! Things I loved about the book: the setting (cabin in the mountain/woods) I love books and movies with that setting! So spooky! It gets scary pretty quickly after they arrive at the cabin, diversity, that there are five POV so we get to know what everyone is thinking and feeling, there is a ghost story thrown in so you don't know if it is a ghost or one of them that is doing ev ...more
Kristy
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
This book completely excels in trans, non-binary, and neurodivergent rep. Major kudos there. The plot, though? A total mess. Full review to come. Thanks to Sourcebooks Early Reads for my copy.
Audrey
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: alright, 2020, arc
I'm torn.
This is the second book I've read by Marieke Nijkamp, and there were some things I enjoyed. Ahem:
1) It was definitely a thriller and I'm usually hard-pressed to find a thriller that doesn't keep me turning the pages
2) It's use of RPGs as the backdrop for the plot and the friendship was really interesting and well done; I hadn't seen a book that used that before. I'm not super familiar with that world, but it seemed very well-researched. And finally:
3) The diversity?
This is where thi
Flavia
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A copy of this book was kindly provided by Raincoast Books in exchange for an honest review.

I don’t read thrillers books as often as I would like. So, I was pretty excited to read Even if We Break! I’ve also been wanting to pick up one of Marieke Nijkamp’s books for a while, so this just added to my excitement.

I started reading and got pulled right in–and I think part of it is that Nijkamp started the narrative with the characters already on their way to the cottage at which most of the action i
Samantha
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a good lesson in the value of paying attention to the reviews from your Goodreads community, even if they are unfavorable but the synopsis sounds good.

Nijkamp had a great premise here, and parts of the book were successful (more on that in a moment), but on the whole, the book is a big letdown.

There is some heavy, heavy angst going on with all of these characters, and it is painful and frankly kind of irritating to read. Do we want our protagonists to fight to overcome hardships throu
Janna
4/5🌟: honestly, i've seen so many bad reviews for this one but i really enjoyed it. i love murder mysteries (like my favourite series "truly devious") and while yeah the ending might have been a bit predictable, the book was full of suspense, spooky scenes and interesting characters. i found the voices to be quite unique each. the best thing was that the romantic subplot was between a non-binary person and a trans boy - like this is the kind of good representation that makes me cry. there was al ...more
Pavitra (For The Love of Fictional Worlds)

Disclaimer: An eARC was provided via the Publisher and Netgalleyin exchange for an honest review. The Thoughts, opinions & feelings expressed in the review are therefore, my own.

Actual Rating 2.75 Stars

Oh dear, I really had such high expectations from this horror mystery – but it failed to leave a mark on me.

Five friends; from different walks of lives who have had only one thing in common –
a RPG that they all immerse themselves in; come together to play one last game, before they all mo
Elizabeth Aguilar
Dec 16, 2020 rated it did not like it
I received an eARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger warnings: murder, death, addiction

Representation: trans POV characters, bisexual POV character, autistic POV character, chronic pain, disabled POV character

I honestly don't know how to rate it. It's a 1 or 2 star read. While this book has a variety of representation, the execution is lacking. The transitions between monologues, flashbacks, RPG, and the mystery/thriller elements are awkward. While I have empathy for some o
Hunter
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I just...it was a great reading in the beginning and towards the middle, it went downhill for me. The killer, I guessed before the murder even took place. It was too easy, and frankly, I don’t care about this book.
I’m trying not to be harsh, but this book just wasn’t for me and I didn’t enjoy it that much.
Loubna
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Dnf at 70%
Mel
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
A group of old friends who have drifted apart hike up a crazy mountain to do a castle and spell roleplay one last time before they head off their separate ways into adulthood.
In order to prepare you for this book, here are some tips:
- This is a all caps ANGST book. Drama, drama, drama. Baggage, self-pity, and whining.
- Transgender terminology throughout. Instead of he or she, one person is referred to as they. Very confusing because many times I thought the author was talking about several peop
Rachel
May 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
*UPDATE*

I was seriously disappointed with both the lack of plot in this book, and the writing style of the author. Yes, this author does an amazing job at creating elaborate RPG and jump-scare situations, and she gives a much-needed voice to the LGBTQ+ and mental health awareness communities...but with no plotline, it makes me feel like the only reasons for reading this are to support the aforementioned communities as well as be delightfully chilled by the jump scares. When I read a book, I go i

• The Long and Faraway Gone
  • The Exact Opposite of Okay (Izzy O'Neill, #1)
  • All-American Muslim Girl
  • Dangerous Girls
  • Some Girls Are
  • Ketchup Clouds
See top shelves…
Marieke Nijkamp a storyteller, dreamer, globe-trotter, geek.

***

Please note I don't respond to friend requests or messages on GR, but you're always welcome to tweet or email me. :)

News & Interviews

“Some sounds can break through everything:
Silence.
Tension.
Night.
Imagination.”
0 likes
“It’s not giving up. It’s standing together, not alone. It’s facing whatever comes next. Because you believe in a cause, perhaps, but most of all, you believe in one another.” 0 likes