Start by marking “An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life: Learning How to Embrace Less to Live More” as Want to Read:
An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life: Learning How to Embrace Less to Live More

An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life: Learning How to Embrace Less to Live More

Author Megean Weldon, aka The Zero Waste Nerd, gently guides you on an attainable, inspirational, mindful, and completely realistic journey to a sustainable living lifestyle with tips, strategies, recipes, and DIY projects for reducing wastepresented in one beautifully designed and illustrated guide.

What is zero waste living? Although the practice has been around for
Published March 17th 2020 by Rock Point

To ask other readers questions about An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life

Start your review of An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life: Learning How to Embrace Less to Live More
Briar's Reviews
An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life gives some reasonable and realistic expectations and suggestions on eliminating waste.

I like that this book didn't start off with the shame game. We all see that game being played on social media, by those special people (and typically Moms... lets be honest) who believe they are better than everybody else. This book gives tips and advice, but doesn't force the idea on the reader. I truly can respect books like this. Give me ideas and make me want to be better, don't
Denise
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great introductory guide on how to reduce your waste. Beautiful design and fun illustrations make this book that much more entertaining to read. I especially liked the gift guide in the holiday section, and the final chapter that included a numbered challenge list with manageable steps to take to reduce waste in your own life. This book was organized and efficient, and included many recipes and DIY's to help get you started. I would recommend this to anyone just starting to get in to more ...more
Anjana
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I went into this book with a bias. The past couple of years, I have been on the constant lookout for ideas to alter my regular habits to make a difference (environmentally). Since I had time on my hands, I looked up a lot of small things and a couple of big changes that I could implement.

I have been dragging a cart full of glass bottles to a zero-waste store to refill my soaps and bulk groceries. I have switched to soapnut for my regular laundry and with all of this, I am well
Katie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this copy via Net Galley and I absolutely loved it. I follow Meagan on Instagram already so I knew kind of what to expect. I wont pretend I live a perfect waste free life; but I do try my best to live with intention and live a lower waste lifestyle. I loved that I didnt feel like I was a failure if I didnt do these things, the suggestions were friendly and I feel excited to reduce even more. I dont go big on gifts, I tend to thrift shop and really think about products, do I need them ...more
Cathy Geha
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
An Almost Zero Waste Life by Megan Weldon
Learning How to Embrace Less and Live More

Looking for ways to minimize your waste and make the earth a better place for all? This book definitely has many ideas to help you whether you are a novice or have already been working on this for awhile. Sure, I have seen many of the ideas before and even started to collect ideas but this book has most of those ideas in one place simplified and easy to understand. Not all of the ideas will be useful to everyone
Rebekka Steg
An excellent introduction to zero waste, with many (realistic) steps both big and small. Megean Weldon is good about reminding you that every step you take matters, and you don't need to take them all at once.
She covers every room of the house, and specific areas such as kids, travel, pets etc. At the end of the book is a great 30 day challenge, although it is a bit repetitive if you have read all of the book (but it would serve as an excellent reminder).
My one criticism is that Weldon really
Blakeley
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
When it comes to a An Almost Zero Waste Life, I think it presents zero waste in a simple and beautiful way. The books aesthetic is cute with bright colors and is well put together. I would easily put this on my shelf displayed for all to see.

I live in Portland, Oregon which is all about zero waste and sustainability. So when I saw this book, I had to read it! For anyone starting out zero waste, this book is a helpful guide on how to approach zero waste in each part of your life. Home, pets,
Julie Anna
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life
⭐⭐⭐.75

Note: I was given an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life is a how-to guide on reducing the waste produced in your home. Separated into chapters on each category in your home (and outside of it), Weldon starts by listing all of the single-use products that can be replaced with longer-term products. Additionally, she shares recipes, mini-guides, and tips to reduce waste, save money, and simplify living.

Ive been
Malligal
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-reviews
Two years ago, a friend and I became obsessed with lowering our trash output. We spent a lot of time discussing options and ways to reduce our household waste. She was determined to live a waste free summer. I was less determined, but very supportive of her goal. When I saw An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life, I decided it was about time to explore a waste-free lifestyle again.

Weldon decided to embark on a zero-waste lifestyle after walking through her neighborhood, cleaning up trash as an Earth Day
Liz
Feb 21, 2020 rated it liked it
If Im honest, I was underwhelmed by this book... despite my deep interest in the subject, I was not the target audience here. My main qualm was the lack of detail throughout. A few examples: Why is plastic something we should avoid? How did it develop into the massive global waste crisis that it is today? When talking about low-waste practices at the grocery store, what do you do if you come equipped with your mason jars all tared out but at the register the cashier cant or wont subtract that ...more
Lilian
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With increasing awareness of climate change and global warming, there is a need to make drastic changes not only among governments but also as individuals. Megean Weldon proposes an almost zero waste life, ensuring that the products that we consume daily do not end up in landfills but are purposed and safe both for humans and the environment She notes that humans from previous generations have been living without trash because their ways of life encouraged frugality and everything has a purpose. ...more
Andrea
Shelves: arc-s, net-galley
*I received this book from NetGalley in return for a honest review*

I have read almost every single book out there on zero waste at the moment so while there is not much left for me to learn, there are definitely books out there that are better than others. This book is so fun and the drawings and layout of the book is a real plus. Without even considering the actual information contained in the book it is beautiful to look at and really easy to read.

The content is very well done as well. Though
Valerie
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

This was such an enjoyable, quick read about an incredibly important topic! Living more sustainably and reducing my carbon footprint are goals of mine for 2020 and I appreciated how many useful, easy tips were included in this book. The author lays out eco-friendly tips, swaps, recipes and more in an easy-to-read format, supplemented by fun illustrations and photos. My favorite
Susie
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say, this book completely threw me because it exceeded my expectations. I thought it would be just another book on how to reduce waste. But it was far more than this, it was full of facts and recipes. I thought I was quite up on zero waste, but this taught me a thing or two. Great recipes from your household cleaning to beauty to baby recipes. I cant wait to try out the dry shampoo recipe! I also thought that the thirty steps to zero waste challenge was an amazing idea, something for ...more
Stefanie Bevins
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and am definitely going to be referring back to it quite frequently. I have been vegan for almost three years and within the last few months have been trying to implement more zero waste solutions in our home. I love how the author breaks this book into so many different categories and gives you sooooo much information and gives recipes for products to make yourself and gives easy replacement items to use (bamboo paper towels, flannel tissues, homemade hankies, etc). Megean ...more
Jo
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun and beautiful book to read! I love to think about ways to reduce my waste and support the environment. This was a simple, easy read however very informative with plenty of tips that seem easily attainable. I look forward to trying some of the beauty tips and loved the zero waste gift ideas. I highly recommend this lovely book!

Thank you, Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley for a digital ARC!
Cristie Underwood
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
The author wrote not only an extremely useful resource for those that want to live a zero waste life, but stresses the importance of not being too hard on yourself if you don't utilize all of the steps The approach of knowing that every little thing done makes a difference and that all of these small steps do make a big impact. I found this to be inspiring and will be utilizing tips from this!
Jen
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
A nice introduction to moving to a zero-waste (or minimal waste) way of living, with nice photos and illustrations, but if you've already done any research about altering your consumption and behaviour, there's little new to learn here and the tips can get rather repetitive. Nonetheless, it's an important element of the battle to save our planet and this is a good guide for anyone who hasn't yet started making changes.
Keondra Freemyn
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020
An (Almost) Zero-Waste Life is a comprehensive guide for those looking to reduce their impact on the environment through lifestyle changes. This is the best guide I've seen so far, covering a wide range of issues from toilet paper alternatives to zero-waste gifts. No matter where people are on their zero waste journey, there are useful tips to help guide the way. I enjoyed the holiday guide and resources section most as am not yet at the use-thread-from-old-cotton-t-shirts-as-dental-floss stage ...more
Mrs. Europaea
Feb 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Practical and helpful tips to lead a more sustainable, almost zero-waste life. The suggestions work for a variety of lifestyles and budgets. I particularly enjoyed the ideas around food waste, such as cooking with scraps, and using food as a fuel energy source.
Taylor
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really great introduction to zero-waste philosophy with a lot of helpful tips! It can get a bit repetitive since the main theme is "reduce, reuse, recycle"but that's a lesson we all need to get hammered into our heads.

I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley.
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalleyarc
I liked this book, it came with a bunch of no nonsense, non judgmental advice on how to live waste free. None of this I felt was revolutionary or new, but it was certainly nice to see all that information compiled in a book.
Kelly Faysash
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a great little book for those who want to venture towards a less wasteful life. I would consider this a starter manual and it is laid out quite pleasingly and simply. The ideas are easy to implement and also include recipes for food, skin, baby, and pets. Everything is covered from daily living to vacations to holidays. There are even dozens of small challenges at the end of the book. Great ideas that make zero waste living easy and fun!
Chris Worthy
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This has some wonderful tips for living a sustainable life!
Kelly918
Mar 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Full of good ways to reduce waste in simple ways and makes you think about how much you use every day. Some items arent applicable for uk based readers
Lauren Lombard
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lot of good information!
Alexandra
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Some nice information that one may see in other sources and may see for the first time here. Goes into different rooms of the home and get a 2-week meal plan.
luv4pez
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5 stars

A lot of Weldons suggestions are pretty standard. I imagine most of us have heard to use reusable sandwich bags and to use glass containers rather than plastic ones. The author approaches zero-waste from a reasonable, non-shaming perspective. She suggests people need to start where they are at; theres no changing the waste youve already created.

I enjoyed this book overall. It had lots of tips and suggestions to start living a zero-waste life, and a lot of those tips are easy,
Karah Carpenter
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Living a zero-waste life is quite the hot topic these days. It can seem overwhelming, but this book breaks it down in a very simple and easy to understand way. Its short, concise, approachable and incredibly informative. It encompasses all areas of low waste living and meets you exactly where youre at.

I will be recommending this book to all of my friends. We can all do something to combat climate change and love our planet well and this book is a wonderful resource.
Anja
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is a useful guideline to understand how much everyone can do at home to reduce waste. Given your own circumstances and financial options you can pick and chose as much as possible. Of course, not every idea is applicable to everyone's situation and the book is explicitly directed at American readers who seem to need to catch up a bit on a generally more sustainable lifestyle. Is that so? I don't know.
Some suggestions in the book seemed a bit strange to me, but I live in Germany, so

• Feminist Stitches: Learn to Cross Stitch 12 Fierce Designs
  • Be Kind: A Year of Kindness, One Week at a Time
  • The Crystal Directory: 100 Crystals for Positive Manifestation
  • Make a Living Living
  • Healthy One Pan Dinners: 100 Easy Recipes for Your Sheet Pan, Skillet, Multicooker and More
  • I Am Definitely, Probably Enough (I Think): Revelations on the Journey to Self-Love
  • 思い、思われ、ふり、ふられ 1 [Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare 1]
  • Love to Eat, Hate to Eat: Breaking the Bondage of Destructive Eating Habits
  • What You Wish For
  • Skint Estate: A Memoir of Poverty, Motherhood and Survival
  • F*ck No!: How to Stop Saying Yes  When You Can't, You Shouldn't,  or You Just Don't Want To
  • Wow, No Thank You.
  • McDuff Moves In
  • Leo's Monster
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to Sex & Disability
  • In An Instant
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Family Meals from Scratch in Your Instant Pot: Healthy & Delicious Home Cooking Made Fast