Start by marking “The Book of the Sails (Vesik #14)” as Want to Read:
The Book of the Sails (Vesik #14)

The Book of the Sails

(Vesik #14)

A demon unleashed. A queen restored. A quest into a realm of fire and death...

The Burning Lands once again beckon Vicky as she and Zola fight to release Tessrian on the realm of the fire demons. Traveling aboard an ancient ship known as the Bone Sails, the infamous pirate Graybeard takes the helm. But all is not what it seems.

Together, they must fulfill Vesik’s promise on
Published February 14th 2020

To ask other readers questions about The Book of the Sails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of the Sails

Start your review of The Book of the Sails (Vesik #14)
Penny
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of this author, and I admit I wasn’t sure I was going to like the novellas he was going to write. I was completely wrong; these have been so fun! This one was especially a good time, while advancing the plot so much. These novellas are building to the end, and I can’t wait until then. While waiting, we are treated to a glimpse into these characters in saving Vesik. The end has many twists and turns, and now I have to wait until the next one, but thankfully not too long. One thing ...more
Jackie
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A short but powerful story. Love it.
Melinda
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vesick Series still going strong

Another amazing book in the Vesick Series. Eric Asher continues to draw the readers in and keeps them wanting more.
Susan
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Book of Sails is the fourteenth book in the Vesick series. This book should not be read as a standalone or you will be confused with the storyline. There is violence and use of magic. Damien's friends are still trying to free him. In this shorter book they join up with Blackbeard and his crew to continue collecting the items they need. I love these "side" stories! ...more
Steven
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The sixth installment of the Books of the Dead, the Book of the Sails has the friends and family of the necromancer, Damian Vesik, continuing their quest to save him and those bound to him. On the Bone Sails, they travel to the Burning Lands to search for the final piece to re-anchor the Devil's Knot tying Vicky and Sam to Damian. As always, things are never simple or easy as they find themselves dealing with finicky demons and attacks by Gwynn ap Nudd.

The Book of Sails continues to expand upon
Kristofer Stachowiak
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eric R. Asher should give a master class in world building. Every book in this series just brings out more and more of this universe, and brings me deeper and deeper into it! As Vicky and crew embark on their voyage to save Vesik, the reader feels as if they are on the ship, right next to all the characters. For those that are just coming into this world, do yourself a favor and read the previous books. It will make this one all the more special. Trust me.
Kate
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“There is more waiting in the world than fire and ash.” ~ Eric R Asher

Infamous pirate Graybeard, who is trapped in the body of a bag of bones parrot and runs a skeleton crew (literally!) who sail the Burning Seas in the skull of a harbinger, what a vessel!

Necromancy at its finest with forest gods, deathbats, ghost pandas, dragons, vampires parrots and pirates!
Oh and did I mention skeletal morse code?
Return to the Burning Lands for the next instalment in the Vesik series!
Sandy
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A story in a story!

Eric Asher has packed so much action into this novella that it left me breathless to the point of almost needing CPR. My heart even stopped a couple of times. It has laughter as well as all the action you expect! You won't want to put it down until you are done reading chapter after chapter after chapter! Chores, food, phone calls, and if you have kids, they can wait until you are done! Well, done sir!
Lisa Guertin
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every time I think Eric Asher’s writing can’t get any better, he manages to surprise me and top his previous book. The Book Of The Sails kept me glued to my Kindle and on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Watching almost this group of friends work together to save Vicky, Sam and Damian is completely absorbing. I’m so grateful to my friend who told me I had to read the Vesik books. You were right Melinda!
Stacey
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing Adventure

Please tell me how Eric Asher can write such good stories — all of the time!! No, don’t tell me. It will ruin the mystery.

Mr. Asher hits it out of the park AGAIN! Of all the novels in the books of the dead I find this one the most “fun.” Seriously, pirates, demons, ghosts, pandas, necromancers, death bats and I think I saw some dead people. I thoroughly enjoyed this installment.

The ending, however, oh my! His ending just get you good. Twists like you wouldn’t imagine.

Don’t eve
TE
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Book of the Sails is my new favorite Vesik novella. It's like a high-seas action adventure with one of the most unique (and deadly) treasure hunting pirate crews ever. I'm always kind of wowed by how much awesomeness Mr Asher can pack into such a short read. Excellent installment to the series.

For those who want to know: This one has violence, half a dozen F-bombs but no sex.
Ginelle Blanch
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FINALLY! I have missed the humor of this series SO MUCH. Yes, it's a serious situation but, if felt SO GOOD to laugh with these characters again!

Graybeard has always been a favorite of mine in this series. He's always sassy and full of piss and vinegar. With so much dark, this book was NEEDED.

I loved that we got to see a bit of Graybeard's past. I loved that Mike and Sarah were back. Lots of surprises in this one. The humor that broke up the heaviness of this series has made this book a favorit
Chris Hall
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So... That happened! Just wow.

Another outstanding book from Eric Asher, this guy can darn well Write! If you have been following the story, you will love it. If you are new, Welcome! But this is book 14....
Connie Fogg-Bouchard
returning to where it ended

Vicky and Sam must be protected from Damien's failing strength or they will all pass and Nudd's horrors will come to be. Zola, Mike, Sarah, Happy an Greybeard travel to one place they thought never to return, t The Burning Lands
Wendy Schindler
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!!

The Author continues to give us insight into the Misfits pasts, and tease us through another set of trials, and another book of torture for those of us rooting for Team Vesik!
It's a fantistic book that I highly recommend!
Thomas Griffin
Pirates and fire demons

The gambles have been made. The action is starting to pick up. Greybeard gets his time to shine but let's face it, Luna wins this book hands down.

My only request now is for Mr. Asher to remake MST3K with Luna, Vesik and a rotating cast of boorish people.
Susanne Blackledge
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vesik #14

Love this series! The book are just too short though and it’s time to bring the lead character back really. Highly recommend this series. The first 8 or 9 books are much longer. Worth the read. Chimichangas for all man 😜
Andrea Laws
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You gotta love a pirate ship!

I am absolutely adoring these books from the other main characters from Damian Vesiks world. I love following the progression of stories that not only continue the quest but allow such a huge insight into the lives and thoughts of the others. Bring on the next book!
Nicole
Love love love

This just gets better. Loved getting to see.org of Greybeard. One step closer to the final showdown and i just can't wait. Book of the sails is masterful story telling.
Nicki Johnson
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eric Asher does it again! Love love love his books and getting a deeper look at some of the other characters from the Vesik series is amazing! Bravo!!
Amy
Love it

I suck at reviewing without giving away the story, but I love this series and this one is as good as the rest
Mike Arthur
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great in the Vesik series. The "Book Of The...." is not only moving the Vesik story line along , but also gives a perfect mix of backstory from different character POV ...more
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
AAAHHHH... I don't know how much longer I can hold it together. This installment was quite a nail biter. Will they survive long enough to save Damien?

I love that the author is delving into other characters' backstories while completing their quest to find an anchor to transfer the blood knot and ultimately try to save Damien but... I NEED THE ENDING! I am on the edge of my seat. I love the series, the people, the world, and one the hand I don't want it to end but I can't take this abuse. I need
Lel
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Vickie, Sam and Zola set off with their allies
on the Bone Sails across the Sea of Souls. Their
mission? To transfer the Devil's Knot and save the
girls so they can save Damien.

This really is a rip roaring high seas adventure,
complete with pirates and danger.

A brilliantly paced and fabulously told story
which keeps you turning pages.
Amy Bellino
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one had me an emotional wreck, and I enjoyed every minute of it!

Returning to the Burning Lands had me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Chapter Eighteen moved me to tears. Vicky, Happy and Sam, I just want to hug them all.
Gisela Moreno
Jul 06, 2020
Alan Boggs
Aug 26, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Carnage (The Nate Temple Series, #14)
  • Brimstone Kiss (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #10)
  • Trinity (Feathers and Fire, #9)
  • Anghellic (Feathers and Fire, #8)
  • Hurricane (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #9)
  • Moonshine (The Phantom Queen Diaries, #11)
  • Savage (The Nate Temple Series, #15)
  • Midnight Blood (Harbinger P.I. #6)
  • Devil’s Blood (Shade of Devil, #3)
  • Salvation: Quest for Glory: Quincy Harker Year Four (Quincy Harker, Demon Hunter #13-16)
  • The Golem (Montague & Strong Case Files #10)
  • I’m Glad You’re Dead (The Preternatural Chronicles, #1)
  • Halo Breaker (Feathers and Fire, #10)
  • Dark Glass (Montague & Strong Case Files #11)
  • Blood Ascension (Rule of The Council #1)
  • Shadow of a Doubt (The Preternatural Chronicles, #3)
  • Night Rune (Prof Croft #8)
  • Ex Nihilo (Sins of the Father #0.5)
Eric is a former bookseller, cellist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.

Vesik (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Days Gone Bad (Vesik, #1)
  • Wolves and the River of Stone (Vesik, #2)
  • Winter's Demon (Vesik, #3)
  • This Broken World (Vesik, #4)
  • Destroyer Rising (Vesik, #5)
  • Rattle the Bones (Vesik, #6)
  • Witch Queen's War (Vesik #7)
  • Forgotten Ghosts (Vesik #8)
  • The Book of the Ghost (Vesik #9)
  • The Book of the Claw (Vesik #10)

News & Interviews