Start by marking “Woman on the Edge” as Want to Read:
Woman on the Edge

Woman on the Edge

A moment on the subway platform changes two women’s lives forever—a debut thriller that will take your breath away.

A total stranger on the subway platform whispers, “Take my baby.”

She places her child in your arms. She says your name.

Then she jumps...

In a split second, Morgan Kincaid’s life changes forever. She’s on her way home from work when a mother begs her to take
Published November 26th 2019 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Woman on the Edge, please sign up.
Samantha Bailey Thanks so much for asking, Jason. My publisher is based in Canada, and because our largest book chain here chose WOMAN ON THE EDGE as their December…moreThanks so much for asking, Jason. My publisher is based in Canada, and because our largest book chain here chose WOMAN ON THE EDGE as their December Pick of the Month, we moved the pub date in Canada to much earlier than scheduled. The ebook and audio book is available now in the US, and the paperback is out March 3rd, 2020. I so appreciate that you'd like to choose it for your book clubs! (less)

Start your review of Woman on the Edge
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four full of action, thrilling, anxious, riveting, oh boy this book really makes you face with your own inner demons stars!

When I see the title, I just started to visualize a woman is standing at the roof of the skyscraper (This kind of suicidal act reminded me of two movie: Jax Teller a.k.a Charlie Hunnam’s “Ledge” and Sam Worthington`s –what’s the problem with all those hot Brit guys to accept depressing suicidal guy roles –“Man on a ledge”) but instead of that we got a powerful Ceo’s jumping
sue
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very captivating read.
This starts off in one full action plan BANG and doesn’t stop.

One new mother with a sad eventful past.
A secret known only to a few.

Is the mother going mad? Does she have PND? Is she paranoid? Or is she just tormented by her past.
Or....
Is it real.

She’s now left with her young baby and her husband leaves, he can no longer handle her “craziness”.

The event that happened has left another woman under suspect by police.

The way this is all written out takes you step by step
Mary Kubica
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One woman’s struggles with motherhood and another’s desperate desire to be a mother collide in this explosive and frenetic debut. WOMAN ON THE EDGE is a white-knuckle read that welcomes a bright new talent to the world of psychological suspense.
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Morgan Kincaid is waiting on a train platform on her way home from work. She is startled by a distraught woman who approaches her with an infant. The woman hands her baby over to Morgan and tells her to keep her safe then jumps in front of an oncoming train.

When Morgan is questioned by police, she learns that the woman, Nicole, was a prominent businesswoman of a popular clothing brand. Morgan is also considered a suspect in Nicole’s death since there are no other witnesses to her suicide.
Carolyn
*2.5* Stars.
I wish to thank NetGalley and Simon & Schuster for the ARC for Woman On the Edge in return for an honest review. This was an intense psychological thriller and Samantha M. Bailey’s debut novel. She displays talent in developing a compelling premise and a twisty plot.

I failed to empathize with the flawed characters with their past secrets, tragedies, and regrets. As the twists developed, I found some of the reveals strained for credibility. An underlying menace undermined the
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
I loved this book! I can't believe it was Samantha Bailey's debut novel! (Correction, her debut novel in this genre!) This book pulled me in right at the beginning and continued right through to the end! A successful business woman, Nicole Markham, is struggling with her role as a new mother! She's dealing with postpartum psychosis and extreme fear. This part of the book really hit me, as I have had some hard times after the birth of my children. Then you have Morgan Kincaid, a widow who is ...more
Louise Wilson
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On a train platform, a woman hands her baby daughter to a stranger and asks her to to look after and love her daughter. Then the woman jumped in front of the o coming train. Megan is still coming to terms with the death of her embezzling husband when the woman pushes her daughter into her arms. But why did the woman choose her. And how did she know her name?

This story is told from Morgan and Nicole's perspectives. Nicole is the woman who jumped I front of the train. Its told in the present day
Zoe
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feverish, intense, and engrossing!

Woman on the Edge is a well-crafted, gripping novel that takes you into the lives of Nicole Markham, a successful businesswoman who finds herself completely paralysed by fear and anxiety after the birth of her baby girl, Quinn, and Morgan Kincaid, a woman with her own traumatic past whose life is suddenly turned upside down when she finds herself a suspect in a crime she inadvertently becomes entangled in.

The writing is edgy and crisp. The characters are
Bookread2day
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone is going to be talking about this novel as the hype of The Woman On The Edge is real, there are no ifs or buts it's the book everyone wants to reads.

Morgan is a social worker who recognises the signs of stress. But she didn't notice anything wrong with her husband, who she found dead.

Then with Morgan on the way to work standing on the platform a woman with a baby says her name Morgan I've been watching you, please take my baby, don't let anyone hurt he. Love her for me, then the woman
Nicki
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woman On The Edge is the gripping,enthralling story of two emotionally flawed women who it seems fate has decided to throw together in a heart breaking,shocking encounter that results in one of them being dead and the other having to fight to prove that she is neither a child abductor or a murderer.

Nicole Markham has a charmed life,she is beautiful,is CEO of her own clothing company,has a handsome loving husband and is the mother of a gorgeous seven week old daughter. So what would make her want
Isabel • The Crime Bookshelf
4 STARS.

Thank you so much to Simon & Schuster CA for the gifted copy of WOMAN ON THE EDGE! This book is the definition of a fast-paced and twisty thriller I seriously couldn’t put it down and I devoured it in just one sitting!

What I enjoyed most about this book was how quickly it pulled me in. I was hooked right from the first sentence and that doesn’t happen to me very often This book moved at such a quick pace, which was perfect because I love a good binge-worthy thriller. I also really
Christina McDonald
Exhilarating and evocative with a palpable sense of tension throughout, Woman on the Edge had me gripped from the very first page. This is one of those books that effortlessly ticks all the boxes: wonderful word building, realistic characters and a gripping plot that made me keep flipping the pages.

On a platform in Chicago, Morgan’s life is changed forever when a stranger hands her a baby, then jumps in front of an oncoming train. But Morgan quickly becomes entwined with the story when she
Kimberly Belle
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Woman on the Edge opens with an ingenious setup: a woman on the subway hands her baby to a total stranger, then jumps in front of an oncoming train. But were they really strangers, and did she really jump? Suspicions swirl in this propulsive debut, and the truth is revealed in twisty, page-turning increments that culminate in a whopper of an ending. A clever and addictive read from a bright new talent.
Elaine
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of Woman on the Edge.

This had an interesting premise; a widow with a past named Morgan is approached by a distraught young woman, Nicole, with a newborn on a subway platform, handing her the baby before she commits suicide.

Unfortunately, I found it difficult to get drawn into the story, mostly because the author forces the reader to suspend disbelief one too many times, and sorry, but I just couldn't do it. It was too hard.

I just couldn't believe a
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ehbooklover, margaret, laura
4.5 STARS - This compelling and intriguing premise will snag readers from the get-go. A woman suddenly hands her baby to an unsuspecting woman, seconds before she jumps in front of the train. Say wha?! This emotional and shocking scene is just the start of the suspenseful and impressive debut novel of Canadian author Samantha M. Bailey.

Within her a compulsive and twisty plot, Bailey incorporates the struggles of new motherhood, mental illness with believably flawed, yet resilient female
Melike
The book starts out strong with Nicole jumping off the platform onto the train tracks after handing her baby to a stranger. I definitely wanted to know why a new mother would do such a desperate act. However, as the story progressed I started to lose interest. The story was just not compelling enough. The characters were not developed well and I failed to connect with them. The final reveal was lackluster as well.

Thank you to Net Galley and Simon & Schuster for providing me with an ARC in
Judy Collins
Engrossing, Heart-Pounding, Compelling, Explosive!

Samantha M. Bailey delivers a spellbinding debut that captures you from the first page and never lets you go until the satisfying conclusion.

WOMAN ON THE EDGE is assured to keep you “on the edge-of-your-seat.” A complex emotional, psychological suspense thriller from a talented new voice.

Three words: “Take my baby.” Can you imagine someone handing you their baby? You may think, does the mother need an extra pair of hands to get something
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The blurb for this book just screamed at me, “READ ME!”. I knew as soon as I read the blurb I had to discover for myself why a woman would hand over her baby to a complete stranger and then kill herself. It sure didn’t disappoint either.

The story flicks between Nicole, a high flying career woman in the weeks in the run up to her giving her baby away and Morgan, a totally unsuspecting stranger whose life is turned upside down.

Like Morgan, I was desperate for answers. As the police start looking
Joelle Egan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Firstly, I have to say that I have a deep respect for anyone who puts pen to paper, embarking on the thankless task of writing a novel. I admire those who have the stamina and bravery to put something original out there - exposed and vulnerable to critics who cannot possibly understand how difficult it is to be truly original and expressive when so many wonderful things have already been written. I love reading, and appreciate that my own passion could not be fulfilled if others did not take ...more
Erica
Jan 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited to read this book after the rave reviews. Not my favorite. It was suspenseful, but I felt like it was a bit all over the place. The storyline sounded good but to me it just wasn't executed very well.
Melissa
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't always stay up until two o'clock in the morning to finish a book, but Woman on the Edge was so suspenseful and I just had to know what would happen.

The story kept me guessing the entire time. Even when I thought I knew the answer, I still was thrown off course. There were some surprises tossed into the mix, as well. Nicole and Morgan were both sympathetic characters, going through their own struggles. I felt really bad for both of them and was hoping Morgan could at least come out on
Debbie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morgan's life changes in second, when a woman on a train platform tells her to take her baby, then ends her own life. Morgan does not know this mystery woman and to make matters worse, Morgan becomes a suspect in her death. As the story goes along, Morgan learns more about the baby's mother, Nicole, and the events leading up to her death and investigates how on earth she could possibly be connected to this woman - enough so, that she would entrust her with her child.

This started with a cracking
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Woman on the Edge is everything I look for in a thriller - tense, gripping & fast paced. Bailey has written a compulsively readable, "edge" of your seat thriller that had me wondering what was coming next and how the story would all come together. I am amazed that this was her first thriller as it reads like the work of a seasoned thriller writer!

I received an advance copy. All opinions are my own.
Dana Osmond
Dec 12, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could (almost)overlook the super- dramatic, implausible storyline, I could overlook the archetypical rich white people characters, I could even steele my senses against the terrible writing, including the author's obsession with letting us know the names of the streets the characters are driving on or turning on to. Yup, I was willing to let all that fly...up until I read "tentacles of fear crawled up her neck." That's when I burst out laughing, picturing a squid atop her head, with its ...more
Paula DeBoard
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a lucky reader indeed to have received an advance copy of this book.

Bailey's debut has just what I look for in a thriller: a gripping plot, palpable tension and characters pushed ever closer to the brink. If you like strong female characters (um, who doesn't like strong female characters?), you'll find that here, as well as some thought-provoking material on what society expects from new mothers at home and at work.

I could have read this in a single day, it moved that fast and kept me that
Eileen Goudge
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gripping domestic thriller that grabs hold on page one and keeps up the pacing, and keeps you guessing, until the end. An exiting debut for this author who’s new to the thriller genre. I look forward to reading more books by her.
Hannah Mary McKinnon
One word: Exhilarating! Woman on the Edge was impossible to put down as the twisty thrills kept on coming - and kept me guessing - leaving me breathless. Fans of Shari Lapena will no doubt gobble this one up in a heartbeat.
Joanne Robertson
What a stunning debut novel with a premise that just cries out to be read! The blurb is so intriguing that I defy anyone to read it and then not want to read the entire book IMMEDIATELY! It’s certain been one of my most anticipated books recently and I’m pleased to say that it didn’t let me down one little bit! It’s twisty, shocking and heartbreaking in equal parts and never lets you forget that at the heart of the narrative is the life of a beautiful baby girls.

When Morgan is approach by a
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
Thank you to Simon and Schuster Canada and Samantha Bailey for my free review copy. I was so excited to receive this book as I couldn’t wait to read it!! Morgan’s life is turned upside down when a stranger hands her baby over to her on the subway platform and then jumps. Her last words were for Morgan to take care of the baby. After all the initial confusion starts to settle down Morgan realizes the woman spoke to her by name. Who is this woman and how did she pick Morgan? It turns out the woman ...more
Genevieve Graham
She got me! So many twists and turns, so many suspects, so many trails leading to ... whodunnit? Fantastic debut - never mind that, fantastic thriller! Unbelievable - and yet so very believable, if you know what I mean. The premise was disturbing, of course, but wow! It got so much more twisted and exciting after that. I burned through the book and am looking forward to S. Bailey's next novel - I hope it's already in the works!

• The Forgotten Home Child
  • Then She Vanishes
  • Behind Every Lie
  • Seven Days
  • Hurry Home
  • The Night You Left: The tense and shocking thriller that readers can’t put down
  • Simon Says
  • The Killer Inside
  • Little Voices
Samantha M. Bailey is a Toronto-based novelist, freelance editor, and journalist who has written extensively for Now Magazine, Oxford University Press, and many other publications. She is the co-founder of “BookBuzz,” a promotional and interactive author event held in New York City and Toronto. She holds a Master of Education in Applied Linguistics and credits that degree with her writing career ...more
“Tentacles of fear climb up the back of my neck” 0 likes