Start by marking “Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)

Cherry Bomb (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #6)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  4,498 Ratings  ·  321 Reviews
At the end of Fuzzy Navel, J. A. Konrath surprised readers with an agonizing cliff-hanger: One of Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels's loved ones is dead. But who Readers were left clamoring to know more.

Cherry Bomb, the sixth Jack Daniels mystery, opens at the funeral. While Jack stands graveside, tears in her eyes, her cell phone rings. It's the killer, escaped maniac

Published June 1st 2009 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Bomb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Bomb

2.5 starts. Another typical Jack Daniels mystery, without the mystery. Before I picked up the book, I knew it was going to be about Alex & 3 of 6 about the same psycho just gets old. I was pretty sure I knew what the basic plot would be & was right, so there were no shockers overall. Specifics were pretty good though. The monkey had me chortling at times, but I have a very low sense of humor, so be warned.

I'm fairly sure where the series has to go from here, but I think I'm done, at leas
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Quite honestly, I had a hard time trying to decide whether this book deserves four stars or five. Finally, I decided to go whole hog simply because the heroine, Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels, rids herself (and future readers) of one of the villains who has been dogging her through several previous books. Frankly, it's about time. Although the action is fast-paced, the plots are well thought out and I've had a hard time putting down any of Konrath's books including this one, watching Daniels get ...more
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
Honestly, one of my favorite Jack Daniels' novels in the series. I won't give any spoilers for those who have been following this series, but only some basic comments on what I liked about this one.

The characters: obviously, as a series, we've seen these characters grown in various ways throughout this journey. Konrath remains true to their individual identities, and the changes or events taking place in their lives are completely in tune with what we, as readers, have come to expect.

The pacing:
AARGH!!! Why did I keep torturing myself with this series? I know that I will never give it more than 3 stars, not after the repetitive serial killer theme and one of the most irritating characters I have EVER read. Still, it's a crack, and I can't seem to stop.

So the focus here is the showdown of Jack and Alex, yeah, Alex kills more people, (view spoiler), and Jack is determined to end this once and
Leise Chadwick
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I just finished Cherry Bomb and I am thoroughly disappointed. Upon reading the Introduction by Author JA Konrath, I decided this would be my last Jack Daniels novel. I’ll miss Jack. Konrath told more then I needed to know prior to beginning this novel.

In the end of Fuzzy Navel you are left wondering which character met their demise. When the victim was revealed in Cherry Bomb it was not who I expected, and wished it had been anyone else. Things proceeded downhill after that revelation. Then I b
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Cherry Bomb was a fast-paced thrill ride that left me more satisfied than a drink of the same name. Jack Daniels is back and her nemesis Alexandra Kork has returned to finish the job undone in Fuzzy Navel. As Jack stands at graveside, her cell phone rings and Alex is leading the chase again. People are dying while Jack is forced to slowly track down the victims before their time runs out. The quest becomes personal when Alan, Jack's ex, and Herb are at risk. As time runs out, Jack is forced to p ...more
Mike French
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
More like 3 1/2 start. Started out great, but became weirder as it went along. Also, too much senseless violence.
Cherry Bomb
3 Stars

In the aftermath of the attack on her home and the death of a loved one, Lieutenant Jack Daniels must confront the darkest side of her soul and decide whether vengeance against the maniacal Alex Kork is worth the price of her badge and her honor.

Not up to Konrath's usual standards.

The characterization takes a weird and irritating turn. Who is the whiny woman who has taken over Jack Daniels' body? Since when did Phin become so smarmy? How could Harry McGlade possibly get even
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
This series is like a car crash for me, one that I can't help but to look at even though it drives me nuts. I think these books are just ok, but for some reason I can't quite bring myself to stop reading them and I am not sure why. Jack is only mildly interesting, and most of the other characters just grate on my last sane nerve with their stupid actions (like getting a monkey???? Really come on!).

This time around Jack is just not herself, she is recovering from her fiance's death and still bei
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Amazing! I loved this whole series! I'm thinking I liked it better than the Stephanie Plum books. This book has the serial killer from hell returning..along with all the characters I've grown to love. Plus a monkey that had me laughing so hard I thought I would pee myself. A Plus all the way!
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book opens with a gloomy, depressing scene. Jack Daniels is standing in the rain attending the funeral of her loved one killed by Alex Kork. Alex can’t even leave Jack alone long enough to grieve. Jack gets a call at the graveside from Alex advising Alex that she is ready to kill again unless Jack can find a way to stop her.

So begins a wild chase with Jack determined to catch Alex this time and end her reign of terror for the last time. However, Alex always seems to be one-step ahead and tau
So, I started this book SUPREMELY ANNOYED that I was tricked into reading it just to find out who died at the end of the last book. (Yeah, I could have just Wikipedia-ed it... but... it was right there.....)

That was a cheap enough trick. Then, yet again, it's STILL THE SAME BADDIE from the previous book. JUST DIE ALREADY, PLEASE. FOR REALS THIS TIME. Meanwhile, Jack's having all kinds of existential crises about her love life, her career, her friends, her family.... and everyone is still being s
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Vannessa Anderson
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading a book of fiction having all the elements you enjoy does not happen on a regular basis. Cherry Bomb had it all! Cherry Bomb had drama, suspense and humor.

What I like about Konrath’s Jack Daniels series is how he portrays his female cops and female criminals as real people. Konrath cleverly weaved a story around two women: Jack, a detective and Alex, a psychopathic serial killer who enjoys torturing her victims before murdering them and, if they appeal to her sexually, she tortures them
William Bentrim
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cherry Bomb by J.A. Konrath

Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey is satisfying, not my favorite but satisfying. Jack Daniels the book character is a hard nosed female detective tracking a psychopathic serial killer out to destroy all who Jack loves.

Apparently in a previous book, Jack had incarcerated and disfigured Alex while killing her only love. Alex took this amiss and that is her rationale for her demented behavior.

I have only read one other Konrath book and this one was even more violent than
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Looking for a new author? This is the one for all adventure/thriller/horror lovers.
Shelves: kilborn-konrath
What a terrific series!!!!!
I wanted to give this novel 5 stars but I found the final scene with Alex to be a complete letdown. It seemed entirely unrealistic to have a character like Alex, with such a brilliant criminal mind who planned every move, to be so easily outwitted by Jack in the last showdown.
Beyond that, this was your typical page-turning, roller coaster romp that we've all come to expect from Konrath. I also love that he finally introduced a relationship between Jack and Phineas (wh
Diana Gotsch
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is the last book in this series. Which is good because it is the last one I would have read even if it wasn't. The series was always violent. It is about serial killers after all. But this was just one violent scene after another. Which for me at least was way too much. Added to that was the long detailed sex scene that rivaled anything I've read in a romance novel. Might have been OK if it not come out on nowhere and included a character who just buried a lover. There was a side story abou ...more
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Georgiann Hennelly
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
excellant book real pg turner sad to see who died . loved harrys new partner hehe. laughed so hard i cried.. the ending was a real surprise to me. hope there is a sequel . but i won,t ruin the book for others. and say want happens. just buy cherry bomb and be prepared for some laughs and horror maybe a little gore. i diffenetly recommend this book along with all the ones before it.
This was my least favorite in this series, so far. This author should stick to writing the police murder mystery/serial killer stories and stay away from the sex scenes! I have read the first 5 books in this series and enjoyed them and I liked the character of Jack Daniels as a sometimes over-dedicated cop. Not so much the out of control, over the line, on the run vigalante in this installment.
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
The first couple of books in this series were pretty good. I've continued reading them because on my Kindle they're free. The last book, Fuzzy Navel, was pretty bad and this one wasn't much better. There are too many unrealistic killings and not much of the action is believable. In earlier books Harry was pretty funny but now he's plain silly and having him get a monkey didn't work for me.
May 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack Daniels is going head to head with an old nemesis who is on a rampage targeting Jack's friends and co workers. Because the killings and threats are so close to Jack, she is taken off the case and has resorted to getting help from her old partner and another friend who is wanted by the FBI for a bank robbery. Lots of scrambling around and near missis as well as change for Jack by the end.
Jacqueline King
Infinite stars.

I've said it a thousand times but J.A. Konrath/ Jack Kilborn can do no wrong. He's books are just begging to be made into action-packed epic movies. Fantastic, what a showdown! Surprisingly loved the ending, good choice Jack.
Mary Drew
Dec 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Mary Drew by: judged it by its cover
I had hopes for this book: a female cop in a series, with each book named after a drink, and the cop named Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels. Sounded clever, sounded funny, But no, they're not funny, and the violence is non-stop and gratuitous. Ugh. Didn't even attempt to finish it.
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jack and Alex continue their battle, it's long and complicated. Not quite as many laugh out loud moments but enough and still very good.
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Struggled to get through this one.
Kathy Davie
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will this woman never quit!!?! Jack's life is already in turmoil and this just puts the "cork" in it.
Aug 03, 2009 rated it liked it
I am sick to death of Alex. I love Konrath's style and dialogue but this was not the bomb for me. A tad too bloody and I hated the monkey !!!!
Madison Mega-Mara...: Cherry Bomb 1 1 Oct 06, 2013 07:15PM
  • Truck Stop
  • Serial Killers Uncut
  • Casket For Sale: Only Used Once
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Black Jasmine (Lei Crime, #3)
  • L.A. Rain: Three Novels
  • Every Breath You Take (Blonde Barracuda, #3)
  • The Blue Hour (Merci Rayborn, #1)
  • Anatomy (Harbinger Mystery, #0.5)
  • The Green Line
  • Timecaster (Timecaster, #1)
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Whiskey Sour (Jack Daniels Mystery, #1)
  • Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
  • Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3)
  • Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)
  • Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5)
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
  • Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)
  • Rum Runner (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9)
  • Last Call (Jack Daniels Mystery, #10)
  • White Russian (Jack Daniels #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Burnable Book (John Gower, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • The Stockholm Octavo
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Tide (Ty Hauck, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • What We Saw
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
“Fate is a future you didn't try hard enough ti change. If you want things to go your way, being smart and being strong are helpful, but you still have to work your ass off.” 1 likes
“The truth is, she has no idea how many have died at her hands. It’s like counting the number of times you’ve had sex. Maybe you can remember the first fifty. After that, everything becomes a blur.” 1 likes