Start by marking “Not OK, Cupid” as Want to Read:
Not OK, Cupid

Not OK, Cupid

Anna Kaling's sparkling debut rom-com, Not OK, Cupid, is perfect for fans of Sophie Ranald, Jo Watson and Sally Thorne.

Love doesn't always follow the rules...

Ally Rivers has three jobs, a disastrous dating record, and her gran won't stop talking about sex with eighty-year-old Melvin. Now her best friend Sam confesses his whole family think they're engaged. The longest rela
Published February 4th 2020 by Headline Eternal

To ask other readers questions about Not OK, Cupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not OK, Cupid

Start your review of Not OK, Cupid
Bibi
*3.5 stars*

Setting this book aside to do real-life was difficult and even then I still finished it within 24 hours. A really good story with memorable characters.
Jacqueline Rohrbach
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for a light-hearted, funny romantic comedy with just the right amount of angst, you need look no further than Not Okay, cupid. Anna Kaling masterfully weaves a happily-ever-after tale brimming with humor and all the feel-good vibes of an inconvenient attraction blooming into lasting love. Your heart will go squish, your feelings will go d’aw, and your loins won’t have any complaints either.

Ally is a do-it-yourself woman working multiple jobs to support her dream of making a li
Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
I enjoyed this so much, I binge read it in 2 sittings in less than 12 hours 😄

Such a rollercoaster of emotions and such a fun book and I loved the age gap and how it was portrayed and I would recommend to anyone who loves a good Rom-Com 😍

Kinda mad about one particular chapter that made me cry like a baby though (around pg250) if you read it, you’ll know what I mean

Ps I received this from the publisher in exchange for a review but that in no way affects my opinions and views 😁
✨Skye✨
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I received a free ebook version of this from Netgalley. Thankyou to both the publisher and Netgalley fo allowing me to read this. My review is still honest.

Trigger warnings for this book-Death of a pet, domestic abuse allegations.

Not OK, Cupid is a romance book about Ally, a 28 year old woman struggling to make ends meet working multiple jobs. Her best friend Sam hasn't yet told his family he is gay, and shocks Ally when she discovers he's been telling his family they've been together for 3 year
Tani Hanes
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know how you read a book and you're on pins and needles the whole time, wondering, worried if the couple you're rooting for will make it, if they'll ever get their Happily Ever After?
Yeah, this isn't one of those.
Within a few chapters of Marc and Ally meeting, even knowing the tangled web they've woven for themselves, you just know everyone's going to be fine. The fun is in the getting there. Anna Kaling writes with wry humor, wielding her words with a deft touch. She uses just a touch of s
Rachel Gilbey
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall, inside Anna Kaling's brain when she came up with this most convoluted, original and brilliant of story lines.

I don't think I've ever read a book where there the situation between the various characters becomes that confusing, and when the big secrets are finally revealed in spectacular fashion to loved ones, well Ally's head wasn't the only one unsure who to believe about what. I won't say more on that but the book builds to a fabulous crescendo.

Befo
Anita Kushwaha
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This well-written and hilarious book has all the elements I love in a page-turning contemporary romance: a modern protagonist you can cheer for, tons of wit, and the perfect dose of "will they, won't they?". Ally won me over with her charm and relatable flaws as she faces her fears and takes the necessary risks to build the life and relationships that will bring her true happiness. If you're looking for a fun, compulsive and steamy read, this is the book for you!
Kate Sherwood
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's great to find a contemporary romance with a realistic conflict - there are real reasons why these characters have to struggle to be together. Not that the book is all about struggle, though - lots of banter and funny bits. I liked all the characters and was really happy they got their happy ending!
Kat Turner
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, arc
How lucky I was to score an ARC of Not OK, Cupid!

Seriously, I'm thrilled to be able to call this gem my first read of 2020. It was SO good. I loved every single thing about this story: the characters, tension, writing, humor. Ms. Kaling delivers on one the freshest, most fun, and sexiest twists on the fake relationship trope that I've ever read. Like, HELLO, curve ball incoming!

Marcus is perfectly swoon-worthy and the sex is hotter than hot. Ally is so fun and real, plenty flawed in a relatable
Sara Bauer
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty sure I have NEVER laughed so hard in my entire life.

Not OK, Cupid is a rom-com fan's dream. Ally is the perfect sexy, awkward heroine, and Marcus is the ultimate DILF fantasy. Together, their banter should win all the awards. Let's actually invent a "Best Banter Award" just for Anna Kaling.

The sex scenes were hotttttttttt, and the conflict was real. Falling in love is the easy part; admitting and managing that love sure is difficult.

Kudos to Kaling on this uproariously hilarious debut
Linda Dossett
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, enjoyable read. The Author is English, so there is a small language adjustment, which I found added to the novelty of the story. There are several problems addressed in this book, a substantial age difference between the main characters, the flighty memory but delightful mind of Ally and the discord between family and friends. All made this story one of my favorite reads. Add to this your TBR list.
Samantha Verant
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hooked from the first hilarious page, I devoured Kaling’s delicious rom-com in two sittings. I loved the story and how it played out—the humor, the heart…and the sizzling heat. I fell in love with all of the well-thought-out characters (well, except for one–but we’re not supposed to love this particular villain, although I did understand her) and the pacing was incredible. The HEA makes me want a follow-up book to this absolutely delightful romp. I want to know what happens next!
Isabell
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Ally with her head in the clouds but a good heart and lovely and selfless Marcus and all the drama that came with these two people being drawn to each other. I felt for Ally and her need to keep Sam and how it was in constant conflict with her growing feelings for Marc. Also loved her following her career dreams despite her fears that she would fail and Marcus’ unfailing belief in her talents. Overall a really good debut and I look forward to more from this author.
Lyn Liao
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had me from the very first line. The voice is so fresh and funny, I laughed out loud many times (and I don't usually do that) when reading. Ally is such a lovable character - how she's self-deprecating, believing herself not very organize or smart but really, she is. I sped through this well-written book, loving the relationship between Ally and Marcus. I highly recommend this very entertaining book. You will laugh (and there's a sad part where you might cry) but it will definitely kee ...more
Allison
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading an ARC of Not OK, Cupid, and I LOVED this book. It was refreshingly different. Ally is lovingly scatterbrained, and not afraid to ask for what she wants. She's assertive and comfortable in her own skin...but holds some insecurities deep down (don't we all?). Marc is DELICIOUS. Sexy, kind, a little brooding, and funny. The one-liners and quip-filled dialogue kept the book moving at a great pace, and I loved them together. This book is sexy, hilarious, and swoony - a perfec ...more
Allison Ashley
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Denise
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kaling's debut was delightful to read. Ally's personality shines through from the very first sentence and Marcus is a hero worth swooning over. If you're looking for an example of steamy with a capital STEAMY, this book is it. The love scenes bring you to a place of excitement, but also care for the characters. If you're wanting a fun escape and a novel to take you to a love story with heart and humor, this book will get you there. Thank you to the author for an advanced copy.
Ali
This was a refreshing surprise from the typical older man/ younger women romances. She was way more experienced then him. He was the one that wanted the relationship and she was a commit phobe. There was a little ow drama but not because the H was with anyone but because he's ex wife was a liar and didn't want him to move on. Other then that it is Ow safe. I hope you will give this one a try and enjoy it!
Kim Watt
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of romance, and tend to be very picky in the ones I do read. They need to have interesting, imperfect, believable characters, and humour as well as depth. "Not OK, Cupid" delivers on all fronts. It was perfect escapism, and you can't help but cheer for the characters at the end. I'm already waiting for the next book!
Denae
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhh,

Ahhhhhh! I have waiting months for this and it was so, so, so good! Everything I wanted and more. Well worth going back to m/f for. I really loved it
Shireen Hakim
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ally is a great character.
Alicia Thompson
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
MADE ME ACTUALLY LOL, WHICH IS HARD TO DO -- I WILL NOW FOREVER MISHEAR THE LYRICS TO "LIKE A VIRGIN" AS "TOUCHED FOR THE THIRTY-FIRST TIME"
Richard
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun rom-com. I quite enjoyed Ally, the artsy-and-easily-bored nearly-30 protagonist, who falls for her not-out gay best friend's dad after fakely being introduced as the fiancée. Yes, this is kind of an older/younger pair rom-com, but it's not like February/December, so it's totally a sympathetic situation. More of a March/May pair, let's say. I liked the (third-person) narrative voice, which was quite amusing, and there are many smile-inducing turns of phrase and similes as Ally feel ...more
Nelly
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
4 stars. enjoyable read, funny, the hero was very likeable and I also liked the fact that the MC lived near north acton ( I have fond memories of the place).

"You miss me, you want to talk to me, you want to sleep with me. What’s that if it isn’t love?’

‘It’s not love,’ she said loudly. Everyone else she loved would leave her if it was. ‘It’s friends with benefits.’"

‘I don’t love you,’ she shouted, to drown out an insistent voice in her brain.

‘Then leave me the fuck alone!’ She flinched at his roa
Simonne.
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I’m not sure if I should be concerned that the idea of a relationship between a young woman and a man old enough to be her friend’s father excites me so much. Either way, there’s clearly others like me, and I thank Anna Kaling for being one of them.

Not Ok Cupid had all the makings of a story I’d typically love. I’m drawn to novels where the romance between the two characters is genuine and healthy but because of age or some other frivolous factor, seems taboo. Although this story fit this bill a
Emerson
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is not my usual genre, but if you love a sexy rom com, this is the book for you. Thoroughly enjoyable. Witty, sassy, naughty and fun. What more can I say :-)
Toni Broom
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What’s the worst that can happen when your gay best friend asks you to pose as his fiancée?
Ally gets a lot more than she bargained for after she agrees to help Sam at a family event. After mistaking his dad for the hot gardener, Ally finds herself caught up in a forbidden love situation.

I really enjoyed this book and couldn’t get through the chapters quick enough. Ally is a fun, late twenties lady who is still undecided about what she wants to do in life. The one thing she does know is that sh
BB
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Limited funny moments(breath harder through your nose, not actual laughter).

A lot of scenarios that ring unrealistic/unlikely. Sam's miserable parents finally divorcing yet, both Sam and his Human Excrement brother, who are in their 30s thinking they can get their parents magically back together if they're in the same room. Just a lot of situations that would require people to wear bags over their heads to get to the level of obliviousness necessary for it to be believable.

The end takes a turn
Natalie Jenner
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is romance at its best, with all the great sexual tension of THE HATING GAME and the laugh-out-loud hilarity of BRIDGET JONES’S DIARY. In Ally Rivers, debut author Kaling gives us a genuine, irresistible, and irrepressible heroine. Afraid of swans, office jobs, and commitment (in that order), Ally finds herself falling for Marcus, the separated father of her best friend, while simultaneously pretending to be engaged to said best friend because he is not quite ready to divulge his sexuality ...more
Mary
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was, first of all, addictive and hilarious. I finished it sitting in a parking lot because I had just dropped off my kids and couldn’t wait to get home...and then couldn’t put it down till it was over. Definitely alarmed various people parked nearby with hysterical laughter filtering through open windows.

My complaint, though...the twist towards the end (not including spoilers or triggers, this will be vague) was successful as a major wrench and a surprise, but frankly not one I could g

• Perfect Distraction
  • Only When It's Us (Bergman Brothers, #1)
  • Baking Bad (Beaufort Scales Mystery #1)
  • Rocket Science
  • Ruthless Cross (Off The Grid: FBI #6)
  • The Secret French Recipes of Sophie Valroux
  • All Fired Up (Road to Love, #3)
  • The Ravenmaster: My Life with the Ravens at the Tower of London
  • Sweet Salt Air
  • I Know You Know
  • Carried Away
  • Crushing It
  • Code of Honor (Cipher Security #2)
  • You, Me, Forever
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Killer Chardonnay (Colorado Wine Mystery #1)
  • The Marriage Game
Anna Kaling writes mostly British contemporary romances featuring lots of tea, rain, and passive-aggressive queuing. By day she writes about concrete erections for a construction firm, and by night she… well, never mind. She's working towards being an old cat lady and is a big fan of sharks, bad horror movies, and the Loch Ness Monster.