Start by marking “F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare” as Want to Read:
F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare

F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare

The United States has survived clueless presidential administrations before. But no matter how enormous the crisis -- the Great Depression, Vietnam, Watergate, Monica Lewinsky's thong -- America's always come out looking like, well, America.

This time, however, something's different. Things aren't just screwed up; they're f!$d up beyond all recognition. Welcome to F.U.B.A.R
Published May 23rd 2006 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about F.U.B.A.R., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about F.U.B.A.R.

Leo Walsh
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Decent political send-up of what the authors call "The Rapture Right," though since it was written in W. Bush's second term, a bit dated. Problem is, Seder seems approximately correct. Dogmatic fundamentalists -- both Christian and "free-market" -- still have a stranglehold on the GOP. They still seem incapable of compromise. And madden moderates like myself to no end. Since my experience of life is that any colleague who is "dead certain" they are right most often turn out wrong. The people who ...more
Diogenes
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was much more polemic than humor. Since those who are excoriated would be unlikely to read it, it is a loud and cacophonous preaching to the choir. The points made, however heavy handed, are relevant and well documented.
Patrick
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the footsteps of Al Franken.
Tim
May 13, 2009 rated it liked it
If you couldn't laugh, you'd cry.[return][return]That adage seems to sum up a segment of liberal authors when it comes to the Bush Administration. F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare , written by the co-host and a producer of Air America Radio's "The Majority Report", is the latest entry in the field of books taking on Bush and the conservative movement through satire, sarcasm and humor. While F.U.B.A.R. has its moments, it won't stand with the leaders in the genre, such as Al Franken an ...more
Will Byrnes
This is a snarky look at the horror that is the right wing in power in the USA. I found it annoying to read. While I do not disagree with much that they say, I did not find their attempt to make their critiques amusing at all affective. I even thought of dropping it pre-completion, but it has the benefit of being a reasonably quick read. Not recommended. There is little that is more annoying that failed attempts at humor, particularly when the subject matter is so dire.

Having written the above
Jim Razinha
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quite funny, in a sarcastic, satirical, snarky way. The mashup of Bush's Katrina debacle and FDR's Pearl Harbor speech was priceless. In the vein of The Daily Show, this often conveys more truth in its humor than any "real" news pieces. Sadly, despite being published eight years ago, things are even worse today in almost every skewered instance with the lone plus being Bush is no longer president. Far worse, because in addition to every one of Seder's and Sherill's call outs, there are now Tea P ...more
Pierre
Jul 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Dated (I listened 10 years after publication) but it is still worth ploughing through for the important stuff that hasn't changed. Quality is spotty, with the good spots* getting smaller and further apart.

Strange how the Trump nightmare is providing a perspective in which the rapture-right-wing nightmare seems like a welcome "normal."

* Apparently my three stars mean I "liked it"--what I really mean is the stars apply to the spots.
Ellis
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. It had great information and was pretty funny. A few more F-bombs than you'd expect in a political book. Sam Seder sits farther to the left than most of us, but he makes good points. Speaking of far to the left, his chapter on the Gay anti-gay Right was pretty funny and one of my favorites.
Stacy
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
It got off to a choppy start, and then the writing became a little more cohesive and thematic. However, this is probably one of those cases where the authors had more fun writing their humor than the audience did reading it.
Joseph Salvatore Vitale
Amazing

Worth the read
Sam Seder has a funny and quirky personality and it comes through so genuinely in this book. THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE INVOLVED IN POLITICS TODAY
Majority Report is a great podcast. check it out
Gayle Gordon
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was hilarious, but also a little frightening! Sometimes you have to laugh so you don't cry. I read so many serious political books that cover the same subjects, it was refreshing to read one that puts the doom and gloom in a humorous perspective.
Annette
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Finally, I read it and it was enjoyable. It's very short sections, so it's great to read before bed or when you are busy. It's good political satire. (I listen to Sam Seder on Air America.)
Marni
Jul 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: liberals
I loved this book. Besides being dead on true it was hilarious while it pissed you off at the current administration....
Angie
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. A great insite on this messed up time with comedy and sarcasim
Kelli
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Lots of fun...but not for the faint of heart or easily offended. But, if you are a big liberal like me, you will laugh until your sides split!
John
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
It was entertaining at times, but it lacked an informative punch.
Daver
Jul 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
More entertainment than education. There were some points, but they were vastly overshadowed by the funnies, and stretched to the point of breaking at times. Amusing. What can I say?
Jordan Wages
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious, but it will really make you mad.
Vanessa
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book has several great chapters on anti-gay Gay republicans long before the Mark Foley and Larry Craig scandals broke. Funny, edifying and a great read before the upcoming election.
Todd Martin
F.U.B.A.R. is a satisfying liberal screed replete with snarky sarcasm. Though there's not much depth and the material is a bit dated, the overall themes and humor hold up quite nicely.
Kristin
Nov 30, 2008 rated it liked it
It's a satire, so you know the deal (it's all sad information disguised as funny so the reader isn't as depressed as they become when they think of what they've learned in retrospect)
Alexander Rau
Jul 27, 2018
Boyd McCamish
Mar 18, 2010
Beth Benson
Jun 13, 2007
Hunter
rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2018
Jan 19, 2010
Gaygeek
Feb 01, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-Job Fantasies About the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior Into a Raging Homosexual
  • Pitchforks and Torches: The Worst of the Worst, from Beck, Bill, and Bush to Palin and Other Posturing Republicans
  • Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
  • The Lies of George W. Bush: Mastering the Politics of Deception
  • Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party
  • The Backlash: Right-Wing Radicals, High-Def Hucksters, and Paranoid Politics in the Age of Obama
  • Breaking the Sound Barrier
  • Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe is Hijacking America
  • How to Win a Fight with a Conservative
  • Progressivism: A Very Short Introduction
  • The New Road to Serfdom: A Letter of Warning to America
  • Why We're Liberals: A Political Handbook for Post-Bush America
  • Over the Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove the American Right Insane
  • Poisoning the Press: Richard Nixon, Jack Anderson, and the Rise of Washington's Scandal Culture
  • The Obama Diaries
  • Nationalism And Culture
  • The Truth with Jokes
  • Sick From Freedom: African-American Illness and Suffering during the Civil War and Reconstruction
Samuel Lincoln "Sam" Seder is a comedian, writer, actor, film director, television producer-director, and talk radio host. Seder was born in New York City, New York into a Jewish family, and raised in Worcester, Massachusetts.