Start by marking “That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story” as Want to Read:
That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story

That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story

Chaperones, suitors, and arranged marriages aren't only reserved for the heroines of a Jane Austen novel. They're just another walk in the park for this leading lady, who is on a mission to find her leading lad. From the brilliant comics Yes, I'm Hot in This, Huda Fahmy tells the hilarious story of how she met and married her husband. Navigating mismatched suitors, ...more
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about That Can Be Arranged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Can Be Arranged

Start your review of That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
MischaS_
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: english, arc, comics
YAY! Review #700!

***Advance Review Copy generously provided through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***

Seeing that this book was by Huda was an instant to-read for me. I enjoy her comics very much. And I like that she does not hesitate to joke on her account as well.

This book is not the usual "comics strips". It actually tells the story of how she got married, from her first crush, through getting her suitors and then finding the one under the supervision of her mother. There is
may ❀
the hijabis really won with this one i love it so much ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to love this one so much!!!
It was really funny and yes, fun to read. The artstyle complimented the story so well and the way it's written was really wholesome for a graphic memoir.
This is the story of a woman belonging to the Muslim community whose life revolved around marriage at one time of her life so much that she almost got into some weird arranged dates. She used to have insane thoughts and perceptions regarding her own worth, to be someone who could decide things on her
Emma
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it

3.5/5 Stars

This comic book tells the story of Huda, the author, and her arranged marriage to the man of her dreams and the love of her life, Gehad. This book definitely gives a lot of information on this type of marriage that people may not be familiar with. It was quite funny and I adored the parts where her mother was involved in the courting process.
I also very much admired how the themes of
Silvia
I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

I had such a fun time reading this! It's a very quick read but it made me laugh out loud a few times (I was drinking tea at the moment and I narrowly avoided one or two cartoon-style spit-your-tea-laughing moments) and it was also a fun way to open my eyes to a world I didn't know much about, the world of Muslim dating courtship and general pre-marriage shenanigans.

I
Sakina (aforestofbooks)
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, 2020
Absolutely incredible! This is the book I wish I had when I was little. It’s funny and super relatable. I actually wasn’t expecting to connect with it this much, but it has the representation (both Islamic and cultural) I needed and wanted. The rules part was perfect and 100% described me when I was 5. And the different kinds of suitors cracked me up, especially the visa one I just want Huda to write and draw more because I can never get enough of her comics and stories! ...more
Anniek
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of the "Yes, I'm hot in this" comics, so when I saw this was available as "read now", I quickly downloaded it and dove in. And I loved this! It was so funny, and the mix of text and comic works really well. It was a very quick, very entertaining read.
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had already pre-ordered this book, based on "Yes, I'm hot in this", Huda's first book, which was a collection of her strips.

I was not disappointed. Well written, full of humor, this is a great way to explain what arranged marriages are to the non-muslim world. Because of her English literature background, Huda is able to pull in Jane Austin, and explain, the similarities of dating then, with dating now.

Although, something that wasn't around in the Regency period, email that her mother had to
A Robin Reads
Really loved this! So funny, honest and cute.

I really loved this book! It was amazing! First of all I really liked the explanation at the beginning, it helped me understand stuff more. Then the story itself began and it was also really great. The drawings were simple, but therefore really effective. The story itself was really interesting and I really got to know more about Muslim culture. I loved the writing style, it was really funny and inspirational. I would love to read more by this author!
Bruna Miranda
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
**I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review**
That's really cute. Huda's story delivers an interesting perspective on arranged marriages, which is something very frowned upon by most non-Muslim people. We usually assume it is something "outdated" and that goes against the woman's wishes but guess what? Someone forgot to ask the women how they felt about it.
She makes it very clear that this story is her own and that, for better or worse, her story doesn't translate the
Alicia Bayer
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful comic format book that tells the story of Fahmy's arranged marriage and her years waiting to find "the one." This is a great insight into a culture that's pretty foreign to me. Fahmy is so likeable and relatable. The book wasn't just informative but also just a fun read. I'm a new fan of Huda Fahmy.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
Rameela (Star)
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I NEED THIS IMMEDIATELY PLEASE AND THANK YOU uPDATE: THANKS, NETGALLEY!

Initial Thoughts: HUDA DOES IT AGAIN WITH THIS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS SUPER RELATABLE PERFECT STORY BASED ON HER LIFE. I LAUGHED AND FELT HOPEFUL AND IT WAS WONDERFUL I HAVE NO PROPER WORDS TO DESCRIBE MY ELATION THANKS.
Dany
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adorable comics!!!!

Huda tells the story of how she met her husband. Kinda like "How I Met Your Mother" but make it Muslim and short.

I'm not Muslim , but I can relate to so much stuff in this book. I love how hilarious Huda is (I actually love her comics) and she made a lot of jokes even about herself!

I loved and adored the book entirely and the comics wasn't my fave part. Ofcourse it was amazing. But Huda tells the self love she was able to attain and how she set boundaries, which was
Lauren Michelle
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun read, I sat down and didn’t get back up until I’d finished it! I enjoyed Huda’s sense of humor and even laughed out loud in several places. There’s a great cast of characters involved in Huda and Gehad’s love story and I especially liked getting to know Huda’s mother. Told with a combination of thoughtful reflection and self-deprecating humor, everyone who reads this book will be rooting for Huda to find true love.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing a digital ARC for review purposes.
legenbooksdary
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This short book is fun, relatable for my fellow muslim sisters and it will give readers a wider perspective on marriage and finding ‘the one’. The one thing that I will absolutely take to heart is that even though the main character felt hopeless, she did something about it instead and take matters into her hands.

This book has a lot of humour which I can sense must have come from the author herself. I didn’t feel bored at all reading this book and actually had a really great time. I was deeply
Caitlin Allen
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
#partner Andrews McMeel Publishing
What a fun book this was. I have followed Huda on Instagram for a while now, and I love how she takes time to share and educate about her faith and life. This book is solely about her experience with arranged marriage. I loved how each page incorporated her comics and some more text to better explain some situations. I would have really enjoyed there being more at the end of the book, but maybe she’ll write another one one day.
zaheerah
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received a copy of both these books via the publisher and NetGalley in return for an honest review. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.*

In her second comic, Huda Fahmy recounts the story of how she met her husband, Gehad. Marriage is always tricky, and especially for Huda as she faces gossiping aunties and overbearing parents who want the best for her. That Can Be Arranged is hilarious, quirky and quite refreshing. A simple story which also discusses misconceptions about the
Betty
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel was a delightful read – informative, served up with a side of humor. If you have wondered what dating is like in the Muslim world this book is for you. The illustrations throughout the book are really cute.
MBR
Huda Fahmy is a Muslim living in the United States, sharing her real life experiences in the form of comic strips published on Instagram. I started following her somewhere around last year; I mean who wouldn’t love the at times acerbic humor and wit that flows so smoothly through her meaningful comics that most Muslims can relate to?

When I found out that Huda was releasing her new book, That Can Be Arranged sometime this year, I have been counting down the days. That is until during one of my
Candace
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That Can Be Arranged is a hilarious and engaging graphic memoir, following Huda Fahmy's experience in finding love when it seemed impossible.

I enjoyed every page of this novel. The humour is on point as Huda addresses within her story some highly relatable topics surrounding marriage in this day and age - things like the selection of good men being slim, not wanting to get married for the wrong reasons, and the fear of never getting married at all.

The way she described meeting her husband and
Shazia
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, netgalley
I've heard of Huda Fahmy and seen her comics around the internet but I never really read anything of hers before. I admit it's mostly because her art style doesn't seem too appealing to me. But I'm glad I gave this a shot because I really liked it! The story was relatable and funny in a cute and cheesy kind of way. I'll most likely check out more of her work in the future.
Anna (RattleTheShelves)
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
***Thank you Netgalley for providing a free eARC! ***

It was a cute, funny and unexpectedly geeky read, full of pop culture and Austen references. It's basically like a short, graphic novel version of "Ayesha At Last." In the current political climate we really need more stories like that. I think that this one can be enjoyable to both Muslim and non-Muslim readers, but is definitely aimed more at the latter: everything is made very approachable and all cultural references are explained in depth.
Shawna (what.shawna.reads)
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this! It was such a great explanation of Muslim customs as well as Huda's own love story and I loved how she told it as if it were an Austen novel.
Ally
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. It was cute, it was funny and I learned about arranged marriages. I liked it so much I even read the acknowledgements and glossary.

The writing is very witty and the art is a perfect match to it. I would highly recommend this as a quick, fun read.
I received an ARC of this title from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman of 25 will probably never get married. Well... That was the truth in my community anyway..."

In her second book, Huda Fahmy--author of the hilarious "Yes, I'm Hot In This" webcomic--tells the story of how she met the love of her life, Gehad. She recounts the ups and downs, the feelings of longing and jealousy for a husband, how a bad suitor led to her
Cat
Oct 17, 2019 added it
I just received this book from the publisher (thank you) and haven't had more that a chance to browse it as yet. But I am so looking forward to this day ending and heading home to read it! It looks like it's going to be a very, good book! I'll write a review soon! Huda Fahmy explains how to be a Muslim woman in the 21st century.
Beth Godmon
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
An interesting insight into a religious practice that I knew nothing about. It dispels misconceptions about identity, autonomy and independence for Muslim women, whilst still highlighting the staunch differences between arranged and forced marriages.

I received an advanced readers copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Michelle
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
This is the second book I've read from Huda Fahmy and I am so thankful for her! She has a fresh, fun take on her life and is teaching the reader about her culture. I want to be her friend!
Crystal
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Imagine Jane Austen's stories written in the style of Sarah's Scribbles, centered around a devout young Muslim woman in the contemporary USA, and that pretty much exactly describes That Can Be Arranged: a Muslim Love Story. It's a fun, sweet, extremely readable graphic novel about Huda Fahmy, author of Yes, I'm Hot in This: the Hilarious Truth about Life in a Hijab, and how she met her beloved husband Gehad. I enjoyed her first book, with its simple but evocative art, and snarky humor, and ...more
Anjedah / bookriot_awesomeyou
Recommended- Die heart fan of Jane Austen
Muslim rec

I discovered Huda comic this month through some Twitter account and netgalley stories and got excited what's inside it because I am Muslim and I got fascinated by it.

I absoulety love everything it's hilarious, cute .

This is a story of Huda who is going through potential suitor and her marriage crisis.

This is very funny and light read , every page has comic and some lines . Information about islamic community is damn accurate.

And I absoulety
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Snug: A Collection of Comics about Dating Your Best Friend
  • War and Peas: Funny Comics for Dirty Lovers
  • The Awkward Yeti Presents: How I Broke Up with My Colon: Fascinating, Bizarre, and True Health Stories
  • Everything Is Beautiful, and I'm Not Afraid: A Baopu Collection
  • The Mrs. Frollein Collection: Small Hours
  • Les jours sucrés
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Bird Brain: Comics About Mental Health, Starring Pigeons
  • Dewdrop
  • La Vraie Vie (Le Retour à la terre, #1)
  • Vengeance Road (Vengeance Road, #1)
  • In at the Deep End
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • More Than a Game (Fayroll #1)
  • Help Wanted, Must Love Books
  • Lumberjanes #67
Huda Fahmy was born in Detroit, Michigan and attended the University of Michigan where she majored in English and minored in political science with hopes of one day becoming a lawyer. She finished one year of law school before shifting to education. She taught English to middle and high schoolers for eight years before she started writing about her experiences as a visibly Muslim woman in America ...more