Start by marking “Run to the Finish: The Everyday Runner's Guide to Avoiding Injury, Ignoring the Clock, and Loving the Run” as Want to Read:

Inspiration and practical tips for runners who prioritize enjoyment over pace and embrace their place as an "average" runner

In her first book, popular runner blogger Amanda Brooks lays out the path to finding greater fulfillment in running for those who consider themselves "middle of the pack runners" -- they're not trying to win Boston (or even qualify for Boston); they j
Published March 3rd 2020 by Hachette Go

To ask other readers questions about Run to the Finish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run to the Finish

Start your review of Run to the Finish: The Everyday Runner's Guide to Avoiding Injury, Ignoring the Clock, and Loving the Run
Jessi
I liked the title of this book. There are a ton of books out there that talk about how to increase speed or run long distances. There are fewer that just talk about how to love the run and how to keep doing the thing you love. I wish there had been a little bit more on the love of running or some descriptions of the author's run but I did enjoy the inclusion of lists of possible causes of injuries, exercises, and training. The inclusion of cross-training, especially the off days (restorative yog ...more
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
Earlier this month I dnf'ed a judgmental running book within the first few pages, and I'm so happy to have picked up Run to the Finish instead. If you run, you are a runner. Full stop. In Run to the Finish, Amanda Brooks acknowledges that on the bell curve of running capabilities, most of us are going to fall somewhere in the middle.

What I absolutely love about this book is it shows the mindset of a runner. Runners are such great people, and I think she nails the passion and the lack of judgment
Nicole
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
** I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. **

To quote Run to the Finish, "This book is for the runners who aren't in it for the podium, but instead for the feeling of satisfaction from a mile well run."

That one quote sums up my relationship with running. Even though I've been running for almost 7 years now, my pace hasn't drastically improved from when I first finished the Couch to 5k program. I've never placed in the top 3 of any AG categories. And while I still
Wendy
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Longtime running blogger Amanda Brooks brings her commonsense advice and running experience to this comprehensive book for all the regular and wannabe runner out there. I found Amanda's book easy to read yet loaded with great advice and positivity.

Full review coming on my blog: https://www.takinglongwayhome.com/202...
Andrew Breza
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a runner!

At least that's the message of Run to the Finish by Amanda Brooks. Let me back up a bit. I used to be obese. I lost 50 pounds and over the past few years I've started doing things that used to seem like torture. Like running. I've gotten to the point where I almost enjoy running. (More accurately, I enjoy the feeling after I've just finished running.) I'm not going to set any speed records and I don't travel with the latest road race in mind. I run a few miles around my neighborhood
Megan Helmer
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love following the author on social media so I was excited to see she wrote a book. I definitely learned some things, googled some things and it kept me motivated.
Rachel
Dec 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had been reading a physical copy, so hard to concentrate😞
(this is my first time listening to a book as audio.)
K.A. Doore
Dec 21, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-reads
More about marathon-running than expected, but I appreciated the emphasis on practices that will help you keep running throughout your life and eventually win that race at 80 ;)
Frances
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lots of interesting advice
Helen
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
So I’ve been out with a knee injury since the beginning of February. Over the last 3 months my Strava has logged a grand total of 2 miles. Needless to say, I haven’t felt like much of a runner lately. But I’m so glad that on one of those days when I was laid up on the couch, bingeing Netflix and feeling sorry for myself, I pre-ordered Run to the Finish.

This book reminded me to be proud of myself, of how much I’ve learnt and how much progress I’ve made. Since the first day of couch to 5k, when I
Casey Peeler
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Amanda is where I want to start on this review!

I've followed Amanda Brooks for a while on Instagram and fell in love with her thoughts on running, her outlook, and personality. I just hate that I had a prior engagement when the Run to the Finish Book Tour came to Atlanta in February.

Here are a few reason why I loved this book and give it 5+ stars!

First and foremost, I love the fact that Amanda wrote all the words of this book. As an author myself, I appreciate the fact that she is a
Aurora
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is for you if: you love throwaway footnotes; the race you're running on "race day" is at least a marathon (and you've maybe never run a race before? -- it's full of super-basic race-day tips); running over the span of your life means cycling through training plans (but you claim it doesn't); you think it's odd that anyone would find motivation to run if they're not training for a race; you need to be talked out of fixating on PRs; & you don't just want to run when you're 80, you joking ...more
Mindy
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the read

At times the book felt more directed at beginning runners and not the average runner with a few years under their belt. Still, there were several useful insights and the overall message was perfect for the recreational runner. I definitely learned a few things to implement and enjoyed reading input from a running coach, who is clearly informed on a breadth of running research, appropriately discuss common myths and support a personalized plan for runners.
Vidalia
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love the blog, loved the book. Lots of useful tips for "middle of the pack" runners on injury prevention and training, and a great focus on finding joy in running. ...more
Oak City Books
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thankful and hearty 5 stars for RUN to the FINISH by Amanda Brooks or @runtothefinish. As a "newbie," to running, I had been looking for a resource, guide, and sisterly advice on running to answer questions I had and help me with questions I didn't have yet. RUN to the FINISH is the perfect running buddy for the introverted, busy people in the world who don't know what to ask or have anyone close to them they can ask.

Amanda offers tips and pointers on everything from electrolyte replacement a
Robyn
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Stuffed full of enthusiasm, passion, and love for running.

Before reading RTTF, I’d not heard of Amanda Brooks. I’m following her now. This book promised to provide inspiration for running, tips and suggestions for a better run, and ultimately a love letter to runners not wanting to race or worry about their personal best running time. At least, that’s why I picked up the book. I’m a runner. I enjoy running a couple of days a week 2 to maybe 5 miles. I like running on a treadmill and I like runn
Rachel
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: healthy
I was a reluctant runner to start. My body did not seem to be built for it. I didn’t enjoy it but it was a necessary evil, so I kept going. Eventually it became easier (but never “easy”).

After 20+ years of running, my body has not taken on the grace and ease of runners, but it has built strength and endurance. There are easier days and harder days, rainy days and dry days, warm days and cold days, and if the day includes a run, it’s usually a good day.

I love that Run to the Finish validates, e
Malin Friess
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm getting old. My hip hurts, my ankle hurts, my muscles are tight, some times my joints crack and creak . My back is tight. But, I don't want to quit running and competing in marathons.

I'm getting older (yesterday I rode in my e-bike to the chiropractor).

This book convinced me that hip strength matters, and that I need to get my body into alignment. I need to do engage glutes and hip flexors. I probably need to do some physical therapy and see a chiropractor, maybe a massage. Time in a hot-
Ashleigh
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a well-written and thoughtful book that appeals to runners at every stage. The idea that we learn more from our bad runs than we do from the good ones has really stuck with me - especially after a bad run! One of the other concepts that was a game changer for me was referring to myself as an athlete. Just a couple months before I read this, someone asked me if I would consider myself an athlete and I chuckled and said "definitely not." However, I run more than 20 miles each week, have ru ...more
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
I learned about this book through a friend's review, and Brooks' planned book signing the week of the New York City Half. The book signing and the race were of course a casualty of the covid-19 pandemic, and I finally got to reading the book now.

I really liked that this book was described as being for the everyday runner and actually played out that way throughout with some things I wish I'd known before running NYC last year. I really liked her comment on labels, and why we shouldn't let them
Subhasree Chatterjee
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Loved that the book is for all those runners who run just because they love to run, not to race or not to "win a marathon"!
We often tend to overcomplicate running, certainly with the amount of information we have available on a daily basis, I appreciate how she talks about finding the joy of running. I loved her humorous writing style, and easy flow through all the basic but often ignored facts of running.
Btw is it weird that I was reading the book in Amanda's voice?
Also yes I am definitely joi
Gia
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For all who have run for years, months, days or only 15min!! Wondeful to read the insights and tips from someone who is realistic and understanding. I think this book should be given out to each person who buys a pair of running shoes. Even on my run today I had memorable sentences running through my head as I was struggling to fight tired legs. Plus the green smoothie was a winner. Thank you Amanda for making me feel normal!!!
Joy
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Run to the Finish is a healthy dose of big sister running advice coupled with Amanda’s witty personality that makes for a book that is informative but not too technical. This book is great for runners who want to progress and get better but don’t want running to completely consume their life. I found that I gained a good bit of valuable information while enjoying a good chuckle every now and then.
Amy
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was going to be another running book with all the things I've heard before but it happened to say just what I needed to hear. We all want to run for life because we enjoy it. If chasing a PR is making running miserable, maybe it's not the right thing for you. Keep health and I can't wait to join everyone else who read this book and qualifies for Boston when were 80! ...more
Megan Stoddard
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've been a fan of the author's blog for YEARS now - but Run to the Finish took everything I enjoyed about her blog and went a step further. This guidebook is light and funny and quirky, but most importantly, it's informational. 10/10 recommend it... In fact, this may become my go-to gift for fellow running friends! ...more
Kimee
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
So many good tips nestled throughout here! I'll be referencing it again and again for sure.

I'm so pumped that most of the running discourse now (vs. when I was running in high school 10 years ago) is like, "Listen to your body! Every body is different! There's not one program that will work for everyone!"
Katie
I really like the beginning, and the tone of sarcasm and wit was really funny...at first. But the book got long, and boring, and the tone stopped being funny and started to veer towards exhausting.

There's a lot of great info in here, but I guess I'm not a beginner anymore (however slow and erratic my running is, I've been doing it a long time.)
Melinda
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
I feel this was a useful book for novice runners with a little experience, but not a lot of experience. As a more experienced mid-pack runner, I flipped through and selected parts that were most relevant to me. I appreciate the pre-hab reminder, and I suspect many runners need to be reminded, not just newbies. I’m glad this book exists, as it fills a void in other running-related books.
Erica
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great resource for anyone who wants to start running, or for those who have trouble calling themselves a runner. This book is full of helpful advice, practical plans and exercises, and a good amount of humor :)
Annette Irving
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Amanda's humor in this book, all her little side note comments in the bottom margins.... But mostly I love all the information she shares with runners. Amanda cares! She wants us to stay healthy and she outlines how to do that in this book. Great book!!! ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Most Fun We Ever Had
  • The Holdout
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Confessions of an Unlikely Runner: A Guide to Racing and Obstacle Courses for the Averagely Fit and Halfway Dedicated
  • 26 Marathons: What I've Learned About Faith, Identity, Running, and Life From Each Marathon I've Run
  • After the End
  • An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster by Training Slower
  • Tweet Cute
  • Running to the Edge: A Band of Misfits and the Guru Who Unlocked the Secrets of Speed
  • Let Your Mind Run: A Memoir of Thinking My Way to Victory
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Roar: How to Match Your Food and Fitness to Your Unique Female Physiology for Optimum Performance, Great Health, and a Strong, Lean Body for Life
  • Broken Open: Mountains, Demons, Treadmills And a Search for Nirvana
  • Science of Running: Analyze Your Technique, Prevent Injury, Revolutionize Your Training
  • Running the Dream: One Summer Living, Training, and Racing with a Team of World-Class Runners Half My Age
Amanda Brooks was a writer long before graduating with a journalism degree. However, it wasn't until she found her love of running that it all came together. Since 2007, she has published over 3,000 articles on her website and over 1,500 highly researched pieces, helping to create a great community of runners.
In between that time on the computer, she's still hitting the roads and loving every mom

News & Interviews

Looking for a fictional meet-cute in the new year? We've got some steamy novels for you to snuggle up with, including Casey McQuiston's...