Start by marking “Darling” as Want to Read:
Darling

Darling

A teen girl finds herself lost on a dangerous adventure in this YA thriller by the acclaimed author of The Wicker King and The Weight of the Stars—reimagining Peter Pan for today’s world.

On Wendy Darling’s first night in Chicago, a boy called Peter appears at her window. He’s dizzying, captivating, beautiful—so she agrees to join him for a night on the town.

Wendy thinks t
Published June 22nd 2021 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Darling, please sign up.
K. Ancrum Tinkerbelle is bi
Ominotago, my tiger Lilly replacement, is bi
Eleanor, Wendy’s best friend, is a lesbian
Fyodor, Wendy’s love interest, is a biromanti…more
Tinkerbelle is bi
Ominotago, my tiger Lilly replacement, is bi
Eleanor, Wendy’s best friend, is a lesbian
Fyodor, Wendy’s love interest, is a biromantic asexual
Curly is “questioning”(less)
K. Ancrum This retelling is a contemporary thriller. It is a chapter by chapter adaption with a twist ending about 90% through the book. My comp title was Nick …moreThis retelling is a contemporary thriller. It is a chapter by chapter adaption with a twist ending about 90% through the book. My comp title was Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist with more murder. (less)

Start your review of Darling
Melanie
K. Ancrum is truly just a once in a lifetime author. Her prose and craft are so unique and so smart and every book by her feels like something of magic. Darling is a modern day thriller reimagining of Peter Pan with a very diverse cast; our main character is Black and we have a very full cast of side characters side characters of color (Black, Korean, and Ojibwe), who are queer (lesbian rep, ace rep, bi rep, and a really beautiful Chicago drag scene moment that I could gush about forever), and d ...more
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: Black mc, Russian bi ace li, Black scs, lesbian sc, bi sc, mixed race (Irish & Ojibwe) bi sc, hard of hearing sc, Ojibwe bi sc, Ojibwe sc, Korean-American sc
tw: violence, guns, blood, off page murder

rtc but Y'ALL ARE NOT READY LMAO

i have never been this stressed out by reading a book in my life
emma
A fun fact about me is that I've now (without intending to) read all three of K. Ancrum's releases, devoured all of them, and given them all approximately 4 stars.

And I didn't even notice until right now.

I love to organically find a new auto-buy author.

This is a very wild but believable but almost guilty-pleasure-level dramatic and crazy but real gritty young-adult magic-less contemporary retelling of Peter Pan.

(I feel out of breath after just typing that.)

And it is as fun (and kind of ridiculou
may ➹
wow what a book!!! Kayla Ancrum genuinely does not know how to miss!!!!

rtc

// buddy read with a dummy
Aiden Thomas
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
DARLING is the Peter Pan retelling with the diverse cast and queer representation of your dreams. K. Ancrum takes the original Peter Pan story and puts it in a chokehold in this dark, wickedly twisted, edge-of-your-seat reimagining. Told over the course of one night, DARLING showcases Ancrum’s talents for spinning stories that sweep up in a world of adventure and danger with an undercurrent of magic.
mina reads™️
Aug 02, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021-anticipated
another 2021 anticipated release that disappointed me 🥴

More thoughts here: https://youtu.be/Uvww3yFesoo
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
this book fucked me the fuck up and I have so many thoughts.

RTC
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
DNF @ 55%. Sad that I didn't love this as much as I was hoping to. Review maybe to come! ...more
aly ☆彡
Sep 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
Almost DNF at 56%, and I probably lay it on thick with this statement, but I've never felt so regretful for purchasing a book as I am with this one. I spent too much for a book I ended up not liking [internal breakdown].

Darling by K. Anchrum is a modern-day Peter Pan retelling with expedient themes, thrills, and a delightfully varied ensemble of reimagined characters. And one renowned thing about me is that I am a big fan of Peterpan... movie; which probably the one mistake I made to compare th
julianna ➹
hey uh shoutout to k ancrum for singlehandedly reviving my love of reading!!!!!

-----

the first page of the book: [talking about how canonically, peter pan would murder the lost boys if they "grew up" too much]

me: thank you for destroying my childhood. have a great day

// buddy read with the mango queen. NEVER forget their official title
destiny ♡ howling libraries
DNF @ 12%

I know, I know, that's really early to DNF a book, but this book has an audience who will adore it (deservedly so), and I'm afraid I'm not in that audience anymore. I've realized in the past few years that it's very rare that I enjoy a YA contemporary book anymore, and I've also reached the age (and the point in parenthood) where I'm no longer the fun, rebellious, spunky teen... but I'm now the grouchy, rule-abiding, "I do this because I care!" parent spoiling all of the aforementioned
JANe
Jun 27, 2021 rated it liked it

As a child, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella didn't stand a chance with me. I was a Peter Pan kind of girl, obsessed with the movie, with children who never grew up and who could fly with magic dust.🧚‍♀️

Darling is a darker and refreshing retelling, with a wicked twisted.
That said, I think it left a lot to be desired in terms of depth.
Maybe because it all happened in one night?🤷‍♀️
Maëlys
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
☆ 4 / 5 ☆

“You’re better than he is, remember that. He’s smart but he’s alone, and he always will be.”

Darling is a whimsical and unique modern day Peter Pan retelling that will swoop you through the streets of Chicago following the events of Wendy’s first night in the city.

K. Ancrum simply never misses and the only reason that this doesn’t quite have that 5 star feeling is that I was so much more in love and dazzled by the first 60% of the story.

Wendy Darling has just moved into the city fr
Mara YA Mood Reader
Ancrum is a brilliant writer!!! And she’s done it again with this amazing and absolutely brilliant retelling of Peter Pan!! It’s a stay up all night suspenseful binge read with an incredible cast of characters that you will fall in love with! Highly highly recommend 4/2/22

$2.99 on Kindle US today 1/10/22!!

Oh. My. Freaking. Heck! Modern day Peter Pan and the Lost Boys slumming it in underground subway tunnels? Oh oh oh these lost boys better be really bad boys!! I. Need. This. Now. *screams in fa
Jun 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark, lgbtq-rep
I've always known the literary version of Peter Pan is all kinds of F'ed up, and the Disney version is a romanticized fairytale about a man-boy who never wants to grow up. Darling explores the F'ed up version, and boy, is it dark and unsettling.

description

No spoilers here, but please don't go into this thinking you're going to feel nostalgic, revisiting one of your favorite childhood movies. YOU WON'T. If anything, this may ruin your fond memories of the boy in green tights. mmmmkay?

What I loved: The queer
katie ❀
Dec 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, bipoc, fantasy
thank you k ancrum for twisting my childhood dreams into something so cruel i can’t even recognize it anymore :’)

// but this was good, short rtc!!
solanne
Oct 14, 2020 marked it as to-read
I’m gonna be real with y’all, I heard the words “K. Ancrum” and “queer retelling of Peter Pan”, blacked out, and woke up with this on my tbr shelf
Shawna Finnigan
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to YallWest and NetGalley for allowing me to review an eArc of this book. I received this book for free from a YallWest giveaway and received the book via NetGalley. This in no way effects my opinions on this book.

CW// (view spoiler)

Darling is a fun and thrilling Peter Pan retelling that tends to align more with the original Peter Pan book than the child versions of the story that are shown in movies. I read Peter Pan for the first time for a class last yea
ash |
Feb 04, 2020 marked it as i-need-2021
the rest of the year is cancelled
Mimi
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Oof. You know you're getting old when you read a book and feel like a parent in a Disney movie, shouting at your daughter that she's too young and reckless to make her own decisions. I really wanted to love this but couldn't get to the necessary level of suspension of disbelief. Every time Darling decided to just overlook the fact that she was out with a guy who broke into her room, then left her in a train station only to then be kidnapped by his "family" where she forgives him AGAIN for everyt ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jul 02, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
okay, but why is this the first result when i google "darling k ancrum"

in all seriousness, this sounds like the perfect retelling + urban fantasy mashup

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
cameron
Jul 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-releases
you GUYS!!! we know that k ancrum is my favorite author, and we know that peter pan retellings are my favorite things to read. so obviously i loved this, and it lived up to the hype i had set in my mind of it being one of my most anticipated books of the year. if you know the original text really well it’s very cool to read bc there are a lot of parallel scenes that you can draw upon. there is also queer rep, punk tink, drag queens!!! and a great message that always comes with k ancrums stories.
Moony Eliver
Jul 04, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, y-a
GET IN MY KINDLE
Sheena
Jul 22, 2021 rated it it was ok
I refuse to believe K. Ancrum wrote this. I’ve come to the conclusion that I love the concept of retellings but I don’t like them, they just come off a little lame. Another disappointment. Great representation though... but that's it.
Kate
Jul 25, 2021 rated it it was ok
2/5stars

I was highly anticipating this book for AGES as I am a peter pan/Barrie and adaptations scholar but y'all, this was just simply a bad book LOL

it wasn't well written, paced, or thought out; I didn't care about any characters, what was happening, or how it was going to end; the twist was boring and the climax mediocre at best.

As I said in my update, the only description I have for this is it's kpop fanfiction where Jackson Wang is hosting a party and every kpop idol in history is there and
Romie
Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
*takes heart out of my chest* thank you Kayla for this retelling. here, have this little gift has a token of my affection:))))))))
Emma
Jun 27, 2021 rated it liked it
If K. Ancrum writes something you know I'm going to read it as soon as I possibly can!

I'm bummed to say I didn't enjoy this novel as much as I was hoping. I appreciated how Ancrum decided to write a Peter Pan retelling showing the readers the dark sides of this famous story, but in the end I found myself quite detached from it all.

The book definitely requires the reader's suspension of disbelief on multiple occasions and this is probably one of the things that didn't work for me. Moreover, I wo
Elizabeth
Jul 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was incredible. K Ancrum can literally do no wrong in my eyes, every single one of her stories is just incredible. I especially loved the characters and the friendship groups in this one, they were just absolutely incredible. I loved every second of this (although beware, this is a fucked up book and honestly got pretty disturbing towards the end, so I would definitely be expecting some creepy shit to happen).
Sana
Jul 02, 2019 marked it as anti-library  ·  review of another edition
K. ANCRUM OUT HERE LIKE PETER PAN AND CHICAGO NIGHTLIFE AND GAY AND YES

• Hidden Bodies (You, #2)
  • Little Lies (Lies, Hearts & Truths, #1)
  • Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)
  • You've Reached Sam
  • Crazy Stupid Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #3)
  • Bad Habits (Wages of Sin, #1)
  • Ban This Book
  • Grown
  • Spoiler Alert (Spoiler Alert, #1)
  • How to Catch a Queen (Runaway Royals, #1)
  • You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P!
  • Mighty Justice: The Untold Story of Civil Rights Trailblazer Dovey Johnson Roundtree
  • Listening to the Stars: Jocelyn Bell Burnell Discovers Pulsars
  • The Thirteenth Fairy (Never After, #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • The Nature of Witches
  • Wednesday Wilson Gets Down to Business
See top shelves…
K. Ancrum, is the author of  the award winning thriller THE WICKER KING,  the interstellar lesbian romance THE WEIGHT OF THE STARS and the upcoming Peter Pan thriller DARLING. K. is a Chicago native passionate about diversity and representation in young adult fiction. She currently writes most of her work in the lush gardens of the Chicago Art Institute.

Articles featuring this book

If it's been a while since you last picked up a young adult novel, you might be surprised to learn that it's not all vampire romances and teen...