Start by marking “The Chalet” as Want to Read:
The Chalet

The Chalet

Four friends. One luxury getaway. The perfect murder.

French Alps, 1998

Two young men ski into a blizzard… but only one returns.

20 years later

Four people connected to the missing man find themselves in that same resort. Each has a secret. Two may have blood on their hands. One is a killer-in-waiting.

Someone knows what really happened that day.

And somebody will pay.
Published November 12th 2020 by HarperCollins Publishers UK (first published October 31st 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Chalet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chalet

Start your review of The Chalet
Maureen
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The story begins in 1998, in La Madiere, a ski resort in the French Alps, where brothers Will and Adam Cassiobury have taken their girlfriends on holiday. It’s not the best of holidays, as the brothers have always had a difficult relationship, they argue constantly, and sadly, only one of the brothers returns home.

Fast forward to 2020, where we return to the same resort, in the midst of a vicious snowstorm, with the only road into the resort blocked. This sets the scene perfectly for this claust
Paromjit
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Catherine Cooper writes a terrific piece of crime fiction set in the beautiful, snowy and atmospheric ski resort of La Madiere in France which shifts between two timelines of 1998 and over twenty years later in 2020. In 1998, Will Cassiobury and his older brother, Adam, with their girlfriends arrive for a ski holiday. Will's girlfriend, Louisa, met him at Oxford, but she is not from the same social and economic strata, and is acutely aware of the fact, and while the others can ski, she cannot, a ...more
Lisa
Feb 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
#.5 stars
I was really looking forward to reading this book due to the setting in La Madiere France where a British national is murdered in December 1998 then moves forward to the present day January 2020, four couples arrive for a business holiday for a week in the snow now that sounds good doesn't it? Well as we go further into the book things spiral out of control, that was the good bit BUT now the down side i was bored wasn't rushing to pick this up it became confusing at times EG was i readi
Ceecee
Aug 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What links or unites a group of well to do guests in a luxury chalet in La Mediere in the French Alps in January 2020 with the death of a British skier in the same place in December 1998? The story is told in dual timelines and from multiple points of view.

First of all, the setting is fantastic and the heavy snowfall adds a chilly atmosphere to the growing tension between the guests in 2020. The multiple narratives takes a bit of getting used to but as soon as you sort out who the various chara
Alan Cotterell
Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Collins Publisher for inviting me to this this ARC.

This book is a dual story line about an accident in a French Ski resort in 1998 and another incident in 2020 at the same resort. That is told in two time frames and by multiple characters.

Mark
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hey, new week, new review for ‘The Chalet ‘ ( thanks Deryl for posting about this book ) and next up am excited to be reading ‘Trust No One’ the soon to be published new book by Keri Beevis
A real super find that is easily and quickly read and a real good yarn
Simply put it is a book about revenge and revenge with a capital R
4 ‘friends’ go ski-ing but all have secrets and 1 has been to the resort before, also at the resort is someone they knew and also someone that knows more about the past than
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
The Chalet was a book that I was really looking forward to reading. I am not sure if I read it too soon after reading another book set in the snow with murders and revenge but for me it was just ok.

I felt that all the characters were unlikeable and I get that they should have been. There were too many coincidences in the story for my liking. The dual timeline aspect was good. I can see that a lot of people have enjoyed this book.

If you are a fan of revenge stories, nasty characters and things
Sandra
Feb 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers-uk
The Chalet by Catherine Cooper is an exciting immersive read set in the French ski resort of La Madiere.
In 1998 two men go missing on the mountain when the weather turns bad..... only one man is found.
In 2020 Ria is on holiday with her husband in an amazingly luxurious villa. Her husband has invited another couple to stay, he is hoping a business deal may be struck by the end of the week.
During their stay a body is discovered on the mountain after a storm.
The story is told from these two time
Gary
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent debut novel by Catherine Cooper an author I am sure we will hear a lot more from in the future.

Instantly absorbed by this exciting novel, so much that I pretty much read it in one sitting. Set in the French alps on a ski resort, the story is told in a then and now format. Twenty years ago two brothers were skiing on the French Alps but only one returned. Two decades later at the same resort there is another tragedy when a dead body is discovered. Are these two deaths connected and were
Kelli Wilson
Feb 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
I'm too bored to come up with anything whittier than "Blah" and "Ugh" ...more
Anissa
Oh, this was a fun, wintry read to end 2020. The perfect atmosphere of an Alpine chalet and a murderer out for revenge.

This is told in several POVs in two timelines. We open with an unnamed narrator (there are two in this book) who related the fateful day on which the premise is set. There's also Hugo, one of the vacationers at the chalet, his wife Ria. Simon, a prospective business partner also at the chalet. Rounding out the group are Louisa, girlfriend to Will and his brother Adam. The shift
Chris
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-fiction
The Chalet is a multiple timeline mystery that has multiple points of view. I'm not going to summarize this as I feel that doing so will give away too much of the mystery. Checking out the synopsis will give you all the information you need to go into this one.

The multiple timelines and points of view change from chapter to chapter and are labelled as to the point in time, place, and the character who is narrating. This wasn't confusing at all until Part 3 when we are introduced to a nameless c
Jannelies
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shortly after reviewing One by One by Ruth Ware, a story that is set in the French Alps during a blizzard, I read The Chalet, set in the French Alps during a blizzard. Coincidence… both books have a group of people staying in a luxury chalet, and in both books people have secrets in their past.
The Chalet is Catherine Coopers’ debut and a very good one too! She uses the beautiful but dangerous Alps as a good background for the story. The main characters are very well developed and the writing st
Amanda
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
We start this fantastic book in 1998 in a french ski resort where brothers Will and Adam have taken their girlfriends on holiday. The brothers go out skiing together but tragically only one brother returns.

Fast forward to 2020 to the same skiing resort. This time the guests are different but when there is an avalanche and a body is discovered, it is identified as Will’s. The new guests are somehow connected to the missing brother. It seems they all have their own secrets.

I love a story with dual
Barbara Behring
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books
I really enjoyed the Chalet. The dual timeliness was very effective and I enjoyed all the twists and turns
Pauline
Aug 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a duel storyline about an accident on the ski slopes in France in 1998 and another incident in 2018 at the same resort.
The story is told in two time frames and by multiple characters.
I found this story slow and the characters unlikable.
Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Publisher for inviting me to this this e-copy.
Adrian Dooley
Two brothers go skiing in France in 1998 and only one returns.
20 years later and we are at the same resort with a group staying in an upmarket chalet. Is there a connection between this group and the tragedy 20 years previous?

This was a lovely bit of escapism in these covid times. Ski resorts, a beautiful chalet etc. Perfect escapism.

The story is told from present day with different narrators and also from 20 years previous, in the same format.
I really enjoyed this for the most part. A very easy
Louise Wilson
Oct 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
French Alps, 1998: Two young men ski into a blizzard, but only one returns.

Twenty years later: Four people connected to the missing men find themselves at the same ski resort. They all have a secret. Two might have blood on their hands. One is a killer in waiting.

Two brothers and their girlfriends go to the French Alps but only one brother came back. Twenty years later, Rita and her husband, Hugo are entertaining potential investors in their business in a chalet at the same ski resort. The set
Yvonne (Fiction Books)
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
"I haven't finished yet!"

OMG! - A debut novel - Really? - No Way!

I haven't read a book this quickly in I don't know how long, and that's not because it was a PDF copy which needed to be read on my computer, or because I have a little more free time as I am still at home. No! I rattled through this one at a great rate of knots because I simply needed to know how it ended, and I needed to know right now!

In my haste, the pages practically turned themselves, on a book which had just about everything
Michelle
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s 1998 and brothers Adam and Will are on holiday with their girlfriends on the French alps at a resort. When the brothers want some time out from their other halves. So, they decide to go out and have time on the slopes. But the weather is not good but, Cameron the instructor thinks that they can still go out. But when they do the brothers get lost out in the snow and only Adam returns.
Twenty years later back at the resort Ria and Hugo are entertaining clients to get sponsorship money for Hug
Rach
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chalet is told in the past in 1998 and in the present 2020. The past is set in 1998 in the French Alps, there is two brothers and there girlfriends. Various things go on while they are at the ski resort and eventually an accident happens involving the two brothers. In the present in 2020 we again at the same place but this time it is two couples, one is trying to get other to invest in the company. As the stories goes on secrets come out in the past and present which builds the story up to t ...more
Lois
This was both delightful and satisfying.
CW for drug use, cutting, sexual assault, child abandonment, could be more

Despite the warnings I found this to be not very intense, a nice mostly relaxing thriller.

The storyline was interesting and engaging without being overly upsetting or intense.

I was more invested in the story than any of the characters and this had rotating pov chapters and a timeline that jumped between the past and present storylines.

I listened to it on audiobook in an afternoon.

I'
Susan
Oct 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is set partly in 1998 and partly in 2020. Although I am not a great one for duel time frames, which are very over used, it is necessary here, as the action in the earlier part of the novel reflects on the later part.

In 1998, two ski guides take out two men on the slopes. I am not a skier, but it is clear that Cameron despises his clients, who ask for difficult slopes that they cannot really cope for. It is Cameron’s partner, Andy, who does all the warm and friendly work, while Camero
Lou
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Chalet is Catherine Cooper’s mesmerising debut crime thriller, set in the picturesque French Alps and is perfect escapism in a time when our movement and ability to holiday is restricted. It's 1998 and brothers Adam and Will Cassiobury and their girlfriends are on holiday at La Madière ski resort in the scenic Puylaurens region of Southern France. Unfortunately, the brothers’ relationship is fraught and always has been; they argue constantly. When one day the brothers, having no ski experien ...more
Alan Cotterell
Thank you to NetGalley and HarperCollins Publisher for inviting me to this this ARC.

I don’t like writing negative reviews and I rarely do, especially for debut writers. But I found this story slow and the characters unlikable, almost without exception they were pretentious, selfish, arrogant snobs. Maybe that’s
Adrian Dooley
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Two brothers go skiing in France in 1998 and only one returns.

I really enjoyed this for the most part. A very easy
Val
Thank you to Harper Collins and to Netgalley for the invitation to read The Chalet by Catherine Cooper. It's a book based at a ski resort in France based in 1998 when two brothers go on a ski holiday together with their girlfriends and 20 years later when two couples go skiing at the same resort. I don't want to give any of the story away.

I loved all the intricate relationships between the characters and how they intertwined to the current date.

It's Catherine Cooper's debut novel and what a br
Denise
Dec 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note to self: do not go on a ski trip in the French Alps. Bad things happen there...

Two brothers and their current girlfriends go for a holiday at La Madiere, France, in December of 1998. Unfortunately, the brothers, Adam and Will, don't get along very well and matters come to a head while they are out skiing off piste as a terrible winter storm comes in. Abandoned by their guides, one of them is found the next morning and the other is not.

Flash forward to 2020. A luxurious chalet and several we
Liz Barnsley
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Chalet is a chilly, absorbing read with some divisive engaging characters and an excellent sense of mystery to it that really involves the reader on many levels.

The setting is well described and easy to see, slightly claustrophobic and always compelling as the tale unfolds. A luxury holiday that will end in tears, a past incident haunting present day and you have a classic “whodunnit” with a beautiful modern twist.

Perfect reading for those cold winter months The Chalet is a little bit Christ
Julie (JuJu)
Apr 08, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021-reads
I noticed this one before it was published, but didn’t get a chance to read it. The cover and description grabbed my attention, so I snatched up the the audiobook when I saw it was available. I had a small road trip planned, and thought it would be a fabulous way to pass the time.

It was filled with annoyingly unlikable characters. Unfortunately, they weren’t the type that you love to hate, so I grew tiresome of their antics early on.

The story itself was well-written, but I didn’t care for it a

• Group: How One Therapist and a Circle of Strangers Saved My Life
  • Imperfect Women
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Untitled Summer 2020
  • Say You're Sorry (Romantic Suspense, #22; Sacramento, #1)
  • One Left Alive (Detective Morgan Brookes, #1)
  • Birthspell (Lebrus Stone, #1)
  • The Eighth Detective
  • Somewhere in the Dark
  • The Searcher
  • Every Step She Takes
  • Their Silent Graves (Detective Gina Harte, #7)
  • Trio
  • Relative Fortunes (Julia Kydd #1)
  • Idle Hands
  • Innocent
  • The Christmas Killer
  • The Wife
See top shelves…
I am a freelance journalist living in the South of France with my husband and two teenage children. We moved from London in 2009 so that the children could grow up bilingual and we could all ski more, and to enjoy a more relaxed pace of life.

I learned to ski on a school trip when I was 14 and have loved it ever since.

I'm an avid thriller reader and have been since I discovered Agatha Christie as