Start by marking “Zebra and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Zebra and Other Stories

Zebra and Other Stories

The renowned author of nine books for adults, including The Chosen, turns his writing toward young adults in this collection of six stories in which children face moments of crisis or grief and see their world anew. In the title story, Zebra learns to use his crushed right hand and leg in an art class.
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published September 12th 2000 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Zebra and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zebra and Other Stories

Start your review of Zebra and Other Stories
Tawny
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Author: Chaim Potok
Title: Zebra and Other Stories
Genre: short stories
Publication Info: Random House. New York. 1998.
Recommended Age: 11 and up

Plot Summary: “Zebra,” the first of six stories included in this book, is about a young boy named Adam Martin Zebrin. People call him Zebra because of his last name and because of his love for running. One day he ran too quickly down a hill and could not stop himself. A car hit him, crushing his left leg and hand. Zebra wore a brace and sling for over a ye
Liesse Bohlmann
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Children's stories.. but I still enjoyed them
Kayla
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Katherine
May 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-stuff
Zebra and Other Stories is a collection of six short stories featuring young people in a wide variety of situations. In “Zebra” a young man named Adam befriends a wounded Vietnam veteran who becomes his art teacher in a summer program. The man reminds Adam of himself because Adam was also recently injured when a car hit him. In “B.B.”, B.B. and his family are struggling to deal with the death of his infant brother Timmy. His mother is pregnant again and is about to give birth, despite the fact t ...more
Michael Wing
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Potok is not familiar to me, but "Zebra and Other Stories" caught my eye because it was assigned the YA distinction. Having previously said that short stories might be attractive to reluctant readers, this was worth a read. Glad I did. Potok's six stories involve adolescents in crises, illness, family tragedy, fear, loss and difficult relationships. The protagonists, male and female, are often in the first person as they reveal their rationale for decisions and beliefs. Perfect. Good stories mak ...more
Gwen
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I just re-read these stories. It was written as young adult short stories, but I think they really are perfect for adults. It's a great collection that is beautifully written and quick to read from cover to cover. This is a great introduction to Chaim Potok, but very different than most of his books because the stories aren't based around the Jewish experience. I would highly recommend this for everyone!
READ MOORE
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book that showed the power of how our mental state can determine our physical state. Zebra overcame his sorrowful outlook on life, when famous artists, John Wilson, taught him to see in a new way. The lesson is one I have had to learn time and time again; thoughts are powerful, so be careful what you give thought to! MParker 8-27-11
Philip Burt
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We can, perhaps, see a little of ourselves and our young lives in these gripping stories. While these stories are realistic on the whole, there seems to be some supernatural elements that really work to color these stories, too(e.g., the way art seems to help heal Zebra's hand.)I would recommend these stories, which highlight critical moments in each of the young protagonists' lives.
Rebekah
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Liked Zebra, Moon, and B.B. best.
Patty
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Chaim Potok has a beautiful way with words and is able to reveal his characters in understated ways. I preferred the stories in which his protagonist is a boy; the stories about girls rang less true for me.
Reid
May 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
A delightful collection; it's been on my shelf for years, and I have no idea why I hadn't read it before now. Potok has a wonderful and wry sense of humor, and it is especially apropos in this book that deals mostly with early adolescents.
Hannah Goodman
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
This collection about 6 pre teens and the life changing events they go through has a promising strong start with the first three stories from the male perspective but when Potak tries to write from a girl’s perspective he falls way short.
Susan Emmet
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Have loved Chaim Potok for many years, with Asher Lev and The Chosen. Fine, fine short stories which capture much of Jewish life, as well as just plain life. GREAT read for kids who read in shorter bits. Once thought I saw a zebra in Harpswell, but no go.
Jordan Taylor
This is a collection of six short stories by Chaim Potok (author of "The Chosen") that all focus on death or loss, with children as the main characters. I thought that the opening story, "Zebra," was the best.
Powerful writing by a brilliant author.
Nancy
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, ya
short stories filed in kids at Long Beach library. More YA to me. Second story really good about father who leaves the family, but then changes his mind. The son is the only one who knows of his dad's original intent.
Lisa
I remember reading this in jr high, I think, and I remember liking it even though I wasn't really into short stories. I couldn't tell you a thing about it now, but I've been thinking about it recently, so I thought I'd try to look it up (I couldn't remember the title).
Victoria
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
if you like reading different stories in one than read this book.
I didn't like it very much, manybe you will like it.
G (galen)
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it
while this collection of short stories by Potok is interesting, the stories lack diversity, each following similar themes and characters. Still a good read, but not as satisfying as his novels.
Jenni Adkins
Sep 27, 2008 rated it liked it
I love Chaim Potok. Eventhough these short stories are supposed to be geared for younger kids, they were so poignant.
Demetrius
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everbody
This Book Is About A Boy That Is Noticed By Everyone In His Neighborhood Like Myself
Mel
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this story in my 6th or 7th grade literature book and loved it. Zebras and the war vets' stories were so interesting.
Audrey
Nov 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Sort of disturbing. I'm still trying to process some of the themes...and the fact that it's in the young adult section. However, a captivating read just like all of his work.
Ryanne Berry
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved it but you really can not do a rising and falling action book report. It is 6 or 7 stories so it is strange.
Alphonso
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
great book boy goes from a runnig adiction to seeing life in a new way
Cupcakegal
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Well, i didnt really read all of this book. In La class we read Zebra and now we are writing an essay about it. I did actually enjoy Zebra.
Brenda
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2012
Book Club read for February. Good, short stories with a bit of a punch to them. I really like Potok's writing.
Jordyn B
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
interesting stories. Very quick read.
Trisha Turney-chapman
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of short stories, all moving in different ways.
Telps
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book by one of my favorite authors.
The Scrivener's Quill
I read B.B., a great story about a boy's interaction and emotional rollercoaster with his parents who suffer from the loss of a child and their concerns about what a new pregnancy and baby may mean.

• This Book Will Save Your Life
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 3
  • Nightschool: The Weirn Books, Vol. 4
  • The Parisian Tie
  • The Life Of Brian: Screenplay
  • In the Sea There are Crocodiles: Based on the True Story of Enaiatollah Akbari
  • Life
  • Šepoty a výkriky
  • Verrà la morte e avrà i tuoi occhi
  • The Fires of Autumn
  • The Uncommon Reader
  • The Lost Daughter
  • A Manual for Cleaning Women: Selected Stories
  • Jak chutná moc
Herman Harold Potok, or Chaim Tzvi, was born in Buffalo, New York, to Polish immigrants. He received an Orthodox Jewish education. After reading Evelyn Waugh's novel Brideshead Revisited as a teenager, he decided to become a writer. He started writing fiction at the age of 16. At age 17 he made his first submission to the magazine The Atlantic Monthly. Although it wasn't published, he received a n ...more