Jump to ratings and reviews

Enchantée #2

Everything That Burns

Magic.
Betrayal.
Sacrifice

Camille Durbonne gambled everything she had to keep herself and her sister safe. But as the people of Paris starve and mobs riot, safety may no longer be possible...

Not when Camille lives for the rebellion. In the pamphlets she prints, she tells the stories of girls living at society’s margins. But as her writings captivate the public, she begins to suspect a dark magic she can’t control lies at the heart of her success. Then Louis XVI declares magic a crime and all magicians traitors to France. As bonfires incinerate enchanted books and special police prowl the city, the time for magic—and those who work it—is running out.

In this new Paris where allegiances shift and violence erupts, the answers Camille seeks set her on a perilous path, one that may cost her the boy she loves―even her life. If she can discover who she truly is before vengeful forces unmask her, she may still win this deadly game of revolution.

Gita Trelease's Liberté is the transporting sequel to Enchantée, hailed by NPR as a “soaring success!"

448 pages, Hardcover

First published February 2, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Gita Trelease

5 books613 followers
Hi there! I hope you'll follow me on GR for updates and on Instagram and Twitter, where I post about my books, my process, and random musings. Hope to see you there!

I was born in Sweden to Indian and Swedish parents and have lived in lots of places, including New York, Paris, and a tiny town in central Italy. I attended Yale College and New York University, where I earned a Ph.D. in British literature. Before becoming a novelist (what I'd always dreamed of becoming if I didn't become a spy), I taught classes on writing and fairy tales—some of which have seeped into my stories.

With my husband and son, I divide my time between a spooky old village in Massachusetts and the coast of Maine, where I'm still searching for a secret portal that will take me back to Versailles.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
68 (8%)
1 star
7 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 170 reviews
Profile Image for jessica.
2,481 reviews29.8k followers
March 11, 2021
this was a really interesting reading experience because this concluding installment has everything i thought was missing from the first book, but its lacking everything i loved about the story originally.

so the trade off has me enjoying the ending for different reasons than at the beginning of the series.

i think this book does a good job at expanding the world-building. i think the alternate history where magic plays a role in the french revolution is exciting and fits in quite well, so i enjoyed learning more about the magic system and its role in the revolution.

however, from a plot standpoint, i was kind of bored with this. i still stand by my original opinion that the story is nicely wrapped up in the first book and should have remained a standalone.

so overall, im not too disappointed with this. it was fun to be back in this world again, but i think this book could also be easily skipped for readers who are not really invested enough in continuing the series.

Profile Image for Gita Trelease.
Author 5 books613 followers
Want to read
July 14, 2020
7.14.20

Big news on Bastille Day!

First, a little backstory. When I started querying agents three years ago *today,* the working title for my manuscript was Enchantée, and to me it captured many crucial aspects of the story. But after the book was published, and as I wrote (and rewrote!) the sequel, my idea of these books began to change. I’d always known the general arc of Camille’s journey, but the more finished the series became, the more I wondered if the titles—especially Liberté—did it justice.

Fast forward to this spring when, in the midst of the pandemic, my publisher asked if I’d be willing to change the titles. It felt like a brush with fate, a chance for reinvention. But friends, excited as I was, I was also worried (still am, to be honest). I’d never heard of this happening before. How would the word get out? Wouldn’t people be confused? What would happen???

But in my heart I knew I owed it to these stories to try. Words are my magic, and now that I understood this series in a new way, surely I could conjure up a new pair of titles. And I did. They are miniature versions of Camille’s story: from her beginnings as an orphan who can work magic from sorrow and who becomes enchanted by the dangerous glitter and glamor of Versailles, to a girl who must discover who she truly is when everything—her city, the revolution, and even love— begins to burn. I hope you like these titles as much as I do!

Details: The US hardcover edition of the first book will remain as Enchantée. All That Glitters will be the title for the US paperback as well as the ebook. The book formerly known as Liberté is now Everything That Burns, which feels extremely right now *and* very 1789. For for UK readers, the first book will remain as Enchantée; the cover and title of the sequel should be ready to reveal soon!

*******

Liberté update!

Mes amis, Liberté has a new release date: February 2, 2021. Why, you may ask?

Well, I wrote a bit about it on my Instagram feed, but the long and short of it is that the book wasn't going to be what I'd hoped it would be if I had to rush through revisions for the July 2019 release date. It took me three years to write Enchantée, and trying to write the sequel in a year and a half just wasn't enough time. I wanted to give all of you readers who loved Enchantée the sequel you deserve, and I am grateful that my publisher agreed to make the change. I hope to have a synopsis for you soon and ARCs this summer!

Thank you all for hanging in there with me—your support has meant so much!

✨Liberté—Enchantée Book 2—Update! ✨

October 24: It looks like we *may* get a cover reveal (and also a summary?) next week! Stay tuned—I'm so excited to share it with you all!

*****

It's July 2019 and I'm revising the second book in the Enchantée duology!

Once things start to feel a *tiny* bit more final I will update with a synopsis. I can say that this second book follows Camille, Lazare, and their friends as they get caught up in the revolution—where nothing is exactly what they believe it will be, and being a magician is a terribly dangerous thing.

We're looking at a release date of summer 2020—I've seen the cover and I can't wait to share that, the title, and more with you!
Want to read
October 13, 2020
There's a synopsis! But the titles have changed, which makes me a little sad. I thought Enchantee and Liberte were a great fit for this series, and kind of made them stand out among lots of other YA books that have titles very similar to these... but 🤷‍♀️ as long as the author likes the new ones, I guess.

---

No synopsis? Don't care. Loved the first one, will read the second!

... but synopsis, please, would be nice. Thank you. :3
Profile Image for Sandra.
602 reviews95 followers
March 7, 2021
A stunning conclusion to wonderful duology. Let me just start by saying that I'm surprised these books did not have 100 000 ratings each. Gita Trelease is definitely an author that deserves more buzz then she is getting so far. So if you are reading this by all means add this duology to your own to read list of fantasy books are your thing.

I loved the settling and the blend of fantasy and history and I liked nearly all the characters. Not to mention that this was an excellent portrayal of the mess that was the French revolution. There is a good reason why the French generation after the revolution and Napoleon is known as the nervous generation (this is after Waterloo in 1815 into the 1820s).

Even though this is a fantasy book this explained why it was so confusing at the time. I could see how Camille's situation turned out the way it did. It was like she had no good options. I won't say too much about that though because well spoilers, but if you know anything about France and especially Paris during the early 1790s this will not surprise you. It felt so organically written and flowed so well.

PS as always I loved her relationship with Lazare and her friendships.
Profile Image for Twins.reading.books.
318 reviews975 followers
April 11, 2021
The second installment of ENCHANTÈE (ALL THAT GLITTERS) set during the French Revolution, Gita has written another masterpiece to capture a whole story that will captivate your heart, ETB is a truly spellbinding novel with risks, blood, love, suffers, it just makes it an epic fantasy that will immerse yourselves in and never want to leave. I love Gita's style of writing, the elements she puts are so compelling and outstanding, ETB is a beautifully written prose and fascinating crafted plots that come together in a most unexpected shocking way!
Compared to the first part, ETB is in a faster pace, with twists and turns that are so mind-blowing and very thoughtful, the background of France during the revolution is so vibrant and  magnificent! We get to see and some past moments of Camille that I loved so much, the dynamic relationship between her and Lazare is so unique and very interesting!
The shocking moments are in every page of every chapter, it just captivates your brain and it really dwells you into the fascinating details that Trelease has written in such a magically complexed way!
Camille is truly inspiring and a powerful heroine, her decisions are outstanding and so much more grown than in the first part, the Author has developed the characters very interestingly. The ending of the book I must say that it has torn my "brain", the details that Gita has crafted and the shocking twists appearing at those last pages are so overwhelming and astonishing, this duology is definitely my most favourite of all time, my heart is stuck with the characters and their staggering stories!!
Profile Image for Twins.reading.books.
318 reviews975 followers
January 26, 2021
Compared to the first part, ETB is in a faster pace, with twists and turns that are so mind-blowing and very thoughtful, the background of French during the revolution is so vibrant and  magnificent! We get to see and some past moments of Camille that I loved so much, the dynamic relationship between her and Lazare is so unique and very interesting!
Profile Image for Elyse (ElyseReadsandSpeaks).
755 reviews43 followers
January 27, 2021
Plunging right into this one after re-reading Enchantee left me a little wanting. Although I liked the characters (I liked them enough to continue reading the series, after all), it was missing the charm and the fun of the first book.

This book is an immediate continuation of Enchantee where the French Revolution plays a much larger role. In this world, part of the revolution entails identifying magicians and executing them for being traitors to France. Therefore, Camille has to hide her magic even more so than she did in the first book so that she isn't slain by angry mob. As we already know, Camille is a good magician who doesn't use her magic to hurt people. Instead, she unintentionally uses it to help the "lost girls," girls who are living on the streets who each have their own tales of woe.

I did like this addition to the story - I was intrigued by each girl's backstory and enjoyed seeing it written in Camille's pamphlet. It added another layer to the French Revolution of how these were everyday people being neglected by royalty and forced to live in squalor while the rich were careless with their splendor. That being said, I did find myself not caring about their role in Camille's story and not as engaged in this book in general because of the jumping between subplots - the Lost Girls, Camille hiding magic, searching for a special book, Sophie + Rosier's play, Lazare's balloon, the French vendetta against magicians, etc. There was a lot and it just didn't blend together well.

This wasn't bad, but it just wasn't what I was hoping for. I felt kind of indifferent at the end which is why I'm going with 3 stars.
Profile Image for Aarushi.
290 reviews80 followers
April 12, 2021
I don't really know what to rate this book, because I have conflicting feelings on it.

First off, I read Enchantée (known as All That Glitters now, but I personally prefer the titles Enchantée and Liberté *what this book was supposed to be called initially*) way back. I think in September of 2019 or around that time, and I probably should've reread All That Glitters before I read Everything that Burns, because I was a little confused with the characters and world and needed to remember everything :) (for context I have read over 100 books since then so it's a bit all over the place)

All That Glitters made it onto my all-time favorites list because I was OBSESSED with the book when I read it. I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I just wanted to read it over and over again. Needless to say, I was in love with everything about the book.

I should probably say that I wasn't expecting a lot of Everything That Burns mainly because of how I didn't remember a lot from All That Glitters, mostly just that it was so amazing and was one of my all-time favorite books.

The world-building and world definitely stayed true to the first book, and I greatly enjoyed it in both books. I loved coming back to the world. The backdrop, set during the French Revolution in Paris, is a perfect background and prelude to the magic system. It's so magical to read about the French Revolution, and Trelease did an amazing job of keeping it very historical fantasy and an accurate portrayal of the french revolution.

I really like the magic a lot as well. While the magic system isn't something I've never read before or completely unique, I love the concept of magic being sorrow and the two sides of the coin to magic, as well as magic's consequences and effects on everyone and the city. Camille's journey mainly focuses on her coming to terms with her magic, and it was done very well.

Also, I would say that I loved Camille as a protagonist. She was realistic and interesting to read about. But I did have some things about the other characters.

Mainly, I felt like they were underdeveloped, and sometimes one sided. Chandon was one of the few characters who I found developed and interesting, and Blaise as well, but I wish the other characters were as well done as them. Especially Lazare, Rosier, and Sophie, among others.

I wish Lazare was more of his own character and less of Camille's love interest. Don't get me wrong, I loved their romance, but it felt like there was nothing to him other than being Camille's lover and his relationship with his family. I wanted more Lazare the scientist rather than Lazare the sappy lover.

But Lazare and Camille were totally my OTP ship in the last book even a year and half ago, and they still were. I just wish they weren't so sappy. Maybe it's just a me thing, because the only time I like a romance is if it hasn't been talked about so much I start to despise the ship and the characters themselves (cough cough Feysand cough cough). Anyways, I still love Lazare and Camille together and individually, though.

Sophie and Rosier... same thing with them. I wished Sophie was more than Camille's sister, and Rosier more than (-SPOILERS-) Sophie's love interest.

The plot was absolutely amazing in the last book, and I still enjoyed it in this book. Is the plot of Everything That Burns the best plot I've ever read? No, but it was enjoyable and made the book fun to read.

Trelease's writing is beautiful, though, and made the book even better with it's descriptions and lyrical writing. Thankfully, it wasn't too flowery or long-stretching, and the duology overall is a fast paced historical fantasy, really good for a weekend of reading and a beautiful world you can disappear into. Overall, I wasn't expecting much of this sequel but I still enjoyed it very much.

Everything That Burns and All That Glitters are worlds apart, but it's amazing how they are connected and fit together so well. I genuinely enjoy both books very much. Since both are so different, I don't think I would be able to pick a favorite. I'm an easy to please girl, and I think I can overlook Everything That Burns' flaws purely because I had such a good time reading them.

HIGHLY underrated book series! No one talks about, and I think it should definitely get more hype overall as a duology. I recommend to all and everyone.

4 stars!

Also, I forgot to mention that, but I did feel like everything wrapped up nicely in All That Glitters, the first book, and if the author would have left this a standalone I still would have liked it. I don't mind that she turned it into a duology, though, so I'm a bit on both sides of the fence about that topic.
Profile Image for h ⚜️ h.
130 reviews7 followers
March 14, 2021
I just re-read Enchantée, and I bumped up my rating from a 3.5 to a 4. It’s a great book with a great premise, an interesting magic system, and I was really excited to see how Camille was doing in her new life in Everything That Burns.

Unfortunately, this book just didn’t work for me. The story was messy, the characters and their dialogue felt off, and most of all, the writing was simply not as good as in Enchantée. I don’t know what it was, there just wasn’t the same magic about it. It didn’t flow as nicely. It didn’t create the same atmosphere as in Enchantée, there wasn’t the same passion about the story. I just wasn’t feeling it. There were few moments that I really enjoyed, but mostly, I was just really disappointed.

This story really didn’t need to be told. I think Enchantée would have been much better as a standalone. Now, instead of being a great standalone, it’s unfortunately just a mediocre duology. We didn’t gain anything of importance from Everything That Burns.

I really like the idea of the Lost Girls and the way Camille helps them tell their story, but I think it’s such an interesting concept that it would have been better as a standalone, perhaps with a different MC than Camille, so we could focus more on the girls and their stories instead of on balloons, relationship drama and magic. I could really see the potential in a story like that.

Also I don’t like when authors use real, historical people in fictional books. I just think it’s in kinda poor taste, and honestly, unnecessary. There are definitely ways to work around it. In Everything That Burns there’s a really good historical note at the end though, and that’s something I very much appreciate and respect.

-----

honestly i'm super bummed that the author/publisher decided to change the titles of these two books. the new titles are so unoriginal and just don't give off the same vibe. what a shame.
Profile Image for Jess.
382 reviews232 followers
January 30, 2021
Really gutted I didn't enjoy this one. An alternative history of the French Revolution, magical realism galore? Yes, please!

Camille Durbonne uses her magic for good – if unintentionally. Now that she and her sister, Sophie, are safe from their corrupt brother, Camille lives for the rebellion. Using her father’s treasured printing press, she publishes a series of inflammatory pamphlets that present a powerful exposé of life under the tyranny of the aristocracy. But as her work begins to captivate the public beyond all odds, she begins to suspect that a darker magic is behind her success. And when the Revolution names magicians as traitors to France – magic now bearing the death sentence – Camille must fight against the unknown forces that threaten those she loves.

Compelling, no? Trelease's prose is wonderfully detailed - but therein lies the issue. Liberté is a slog. For all the talk, there is very little action and I could not tell you one quality of any of the characters. The cast lean towards stereotype, presenting nothing particularly new or exciting, and the pace was glacial. Overall, it's just lacklustre - there was nothing interesting enough to keep me reading.

Another incident that throws the old adage back in my face - the cover made me do it. It is, however, a relevant call to arms against unjust government and oppression. Vive la Révolution!

With thanks to the publisher for the review copy.
Profile Image for Jade Melody.
204 reviews143 followers
May 30, 2021
Please believe me when I say that I wanted to enjoy this. I wanted to enjoy this book after enjoying my reread of the first book. Neither of those really happened. The first book was fine, but any magic (haha get it because the book deals with magic) that I found within the first book, the first time around, completely disappeared once I picked it up the second time. I mostly figure this to be because I am not the biggest fan of rereads, but also because I have changed a lot this reading the first book two years ago. Had this come out under its original title and it's original publication date (May 2020) then maybe this would've been more of a success with me. But here in 2021 it kinda flopped.

It wasn't a complete flop... just enough for me to know, or predict, the twists before they happened and that I was bored by the writing the whole time. What was such a hit the first time I read the first book, kept on and on and on, with no luck of capturing my attention fully. The characters were better in this one. They were fleshed out and had more personalities than in the first book, which I did appreciate. Instead of the focus being solely on Camille, like in the first book, I like how this one focused more on the other characters too.

This book did have good elements, and if you have read the first book recently and enjoyed it, then this one will most likely be a success for you! I'm sad that it wasn't for me.. but that just happens sometimes.
Profile Image for Shannon (It Starts At Midnight).
1,084 reviews1,010 followers
February 4, 2021

4.5*

Everything That Burns is one of those rare (and awesome!) books that is better than its predecessor. While I quite enjoyed Enchantée (which is apparently now titled  All That Glitters , in case you want to grab that one), I found this sequel/finale to be more engaging and entertaining, and just a really solid follow up. There were so many elements that I really enjoyed that I am just going to go ahead and tell you about them!

►The characters all worked very hard to reclaim (or in some cases, claim for the first time) their agency. Camille, the main character, is certainly at the forefront of this movement, but she helps empower plenty of others to do the same. I loved the message that these characters had control over their fates in some ways, even if certain aspects were out of their control. Very affirming, very positive.

►The relationships in the book felt very realistic and honest. Without giving much away, we see certain relationships progress in the first book. These include romantic, familial, and friendships, and they're all developed even further in this book. The best aspect is that the trajectories seemed so authentic to how relationships actually play out. There are ups and downs, good times and bad, and the author did not sugarcoat that sometimes things are hard. Sometimes people have wildly different opinions, and sometimes things cannot be mended. And sometimes, with a lot of work, they can.

►The stakes were higher than ever. Not only was the country on the verge of a revolution, but magicians were being persecuted for simply existing. As both a French citizen and a magician, Camille was doubly worried, obviously. I enjoyed the parallels and comparisons between the revolution and the war against magic immensely, it made for a quite perfect juxtaposition.

I want to say more, but alas, I don't wish to spoil anything from either book. But if you liked the first book, I daresay you will love this one.

Bottom Line: An exciting and compelling sequel to wrap up a great historical and magical duology.
Profile Image for Samantha Hastings.
Author 22 books176 followers
February 2, 2021
A sumptuous and thrilling conclusion to Camille’s story set during the French Revolution.

Camille and her sister Sophie now have a home and money; but many other lost girls are less fortunate. Camille helps a flower girl escape the untrue accusations of a nobleman and meets a group of girls that are about to be evicted. She writes their stories to get them support. Meanwhile, both the king and the revolutionaries are calling for the deaths of magicians like her. Revolutionary Paris becomes even more dangerous and Camille has not told Lazare that she is performing magic again.

Lazare continues to be a dynamic and layered love interest (who flies hot air balloons). The romance grows with their relationship. Camille finally accepts who she is and is willing to pay the ultimate price for her beliefs. Author Gita Trelease does a beautiful job of showing how revolutions can begin with hope and ideals, but then end in violence and destruction. She also includes several facts at the end of the book about the French Revolution.

A bloody and beautiful, murderous and magical, romantic and revolutionary book.
Profile Image for chelsea.
355 reviews139 followers
September 23, 2021
3.5 rounded up.

I love the real history facts/timeline at the end. I always go researching to see what's real and what isn't when I finish a book, but I don't have to with this one!
Profile Image for Rebecca Allen.
Author 7 books8 followers
January 30, 2021
I was drawn into All that Glitters, book 1 in the Enchantée series, by the dark magic and the glitter of the court of Versailles. I was drawn back for the sequel by Camille, her tough determination to save herself and her sister against all odds.

The mood of Everything that Burns couldn’t be more different from All that Glitters. It’s only weeks since we left Camille, but revolutionary fervor has pamphlets being spread throughout the city and ideas being debated in the papers, in bookstores, and on the street. The people of Paris seek to find a culprit behind the rising price of bread and their own poverty, and when they think they’ve found them, they rise up to take justice into their own hands.

Where All That Glitters was about the sparkle and magic of court, Everything That Burns has a more serious message. Themes of income inequality, fake news, and crowd violence spurred by political leaders connect 18th century France and the state of the U.S. today.

I loved the stories of the Lost Girls, Camille’s new, dark, magic and her blooming romance with Lazare. Everything That Burns will appeal to fans of dark young adult fantasy, as well as those frustrated with 2020 and looking for a cathartic end to it.

Highly recommended.

At TheWingedPen.com we have dozens of reviews of middle-grade, young-adult and #ownvoice books. Check out our reviews at:
thewingedpen.com/category/books/
or just click on Book Recommendations on our home page where you can search by category!
Profile Image for Bookish Selkie.
337 reviews43 followers
February 2, 2021
Everything That Burns returns to revolution in France, where Camille and Lazare are living through the aftermath of the fall of the Bastille. While Camille promises that she’s done with magic, she is tempted to use it for good when she meets a group of young girls fighting to keep their home. Surely just one pamphlet telling their stories couldn’t hurt? Public desire for the persecution of magicians begins to spark and Camille is forced to examine her beliefs about the nature of magic. When Lazare is compelled to use his balloons for military purposes, Camille must fight to protect her family and magician friends before they are vilified as traitors to the revolution.

Glittering with gorgeous descriptions and sensory details, I couldn’t put this book down! Everything That Burns is a well-paced and enthralling tale that effortlessly combines historical details about the French Revolution and fictional attitudes toward magicians. The magic system is unique and Camille’s journey to understand more about it was fascinating. I felt deeply attached to the characters and their perilous journey through the streets of Paris, especially Camille and Lazare. One of my favorite aspects of Trelease’s writing is the carefully woven sentences that set the scene, so you feel as if you’re in Paris. Camille’s fearless efforts to protect herself and her chosen family make it impossible to look away.

I really enjoyed All That Glitters (previously Enchantée), but Everything That Burns has completely captured my heart. This was a stunning conclusion to Camille’s story and I can’t wait to see what Gita Trelease writes next! Everything That Burns releases on February 2, 2021. Thank you so much to Gita Trelease, Flatiron Books, and Netgalley for a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for BarricadeBoiz.
161 reviews18 followers
February 19, 2021
Everything That Burns by Gita Trelease is the sequel to All That Glitters (previous published under the title of Enchantee) is about a young woman with magic who is printing pamphlets for freedom in Paris during the beginning of the French Revolution but begins to question if the cause is truly oriented towards good and not towards mob mentality. This book focuses on the nuance of the French Revolution and the people involved in it. I overall really enjoyed this book especially since one of my all-time favorite books, Les Misérables, is set a few decades later in post-revolution France, when the Revolution had not created equality for most. The writing was beautiful. It was not too flowery but it did convey what the author wanted to say in a very poetic way. Throughout the book, pamphlets that the main character writes for freedom are displayed and are very well written. The characters were also well-developed and the reader was able to see their motivations. The female characters were powerful but without being insufferable or acting like they’re not “like every girl.” My favorite part of this book is the nuance of the French revolution. While at many points the Revolution is portrayed a good thing, with its intention being equality for all regardless of class, there were also part like when the main character sees a body of a boy who had been killed by the mob, that we also see the depravity of man. And the book brings to light how some people acted as supporters for the movement as it was in fashion and didn’t actually work for it. And finally, parts of the movement are shown to not include certain peoples of the society like magicians, and more seriously, people of color. These themes were important and prominent then, but are also just as important and prominent in these past few years in the world.
While I did enjoy this book, I have a few critiques. In the middle of the book, the main character and her love interest experience conflict. And while conflict can often be found in relationships and can be used for character development, it just felt unnecessary. The ending also felt rushed but was satisfying so I didn’t mind as much. I liked this book more than the first book, as it delved deeper into what does freedom cost, the depravity of man, and who is really included and who is ignored in the push for equality. I would recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction, especially the French Revolution, and those who love magic plotlines or deeper themes. 4.9 stars out of 5 stars.

Ok so I was wrong about the gender bent Enjolras cuz she kinda turned out to be a scumbag, but there was one scene where it was like Enjolras, especially the imagery (if you read or seen the movie or musical of Les Mis then you know)
Profile Image for Amanda Hagerty.
472 reviews5 followers
February 1, 2021
I was given this NetGalley copy from a goodreads giveaway. In return for my honest thoughts and my review. This is second book in the Enchantee Duology. I must say that I wasn’t disappointed at all, i cant wait for this book to come out tomorrow February 2, 2021 and I get a finished copy. The author does amazing job with this world and with the characters. Camille is still my favorite character. Again magic and historical fiction both my favorite to read and this book has both just like the first book. I am sad that this is only a duology. But can’t wait for whatever the author comes out with next. I highly recommend this book and book one. I will give a little about this book. But because this continues where book one leaves off I will not give to much away. Definitely wont be disappointed when reading this book.
About Book:
Camille is living a better life with her sister Sophie now that they have a beautiful place to live, Camille has promised her sister and Lazare that she will not use magic again. But when Camille is asked to help some girls out and tell their stories . She cant help when she writing magic comes out. Camille definitely cant’t be using magic now that king will king or throw you in prison for using magic. Highly recommend this book.
Profile Image for Lovely Loveday.
1,925 reviews
February 3, 2021
Everything That Burns is the second book in the Enchantée series by Gita Trelease. A young adult fantasy full of magic and a hint of romance that is sure to keep you turning the pages. Camille is truly inspiring and a powerful heroine. Her decisions are outstanding and so much more grown than in the first part. The author has developed the characters very interestingly. I was pulled in from the beginning and could not put this one down. I had to know what happened next.
Profile Image for Katarzyna Kuczynska.
68 reviews2 followers
August 26, 2022
Compared to the first book, not enough magic... a little bit more of magic would add the extra star (in my opinion).
Profile Image for Becca.
575 reviews11 followers
January 10, 2021
I was super excited for the sequel to Enchantée by Gita Trelease and I felt like this follow up was as strong as the first book. The book has a more feminist focus than the debut, re-uniting us with Camille, Sophie and Lazare whilst also introducing new characters in The Lost Girls. In a world where France has ordered all magicians to be killed, Camille must do what she can to survive.

After the events of book one, Camille and Sophie are living in Seguin’s mansion, no longer struggling to find food and pay rent. Sophie is still making hats that are in demand across the aristocrats, and Camille finally has her printing press. One day, Camille saves a flower seller, Giselle, from a man who wishes to hurt her. After this, she is introduced to The Lost Girls.

I really enjoyed the introduction of The Lost Girls and the stories that Camille prints about them. Their story made for a good plotline in addition to the magician hunting too. I wish The Lost Girls had a larger role to play in the story!

Gita writes so beautifully – I loved the continuation of the romance between Camille and Lazare. The other side characters also return such as Chandan and Blaise. There are some really heartbreaking moments in the story, amplified by Camille’s strong emotions.

Overall, this was a solid finale to this duology (at least I think it’s a duology, it wrapped up very neatly). I enjoyed the ending a lot, and can’t wait to see what else Gita writes in the future.
Profile Image for Dianna .
213 reviews
January 21, 2021
Trelease does it again with this magical beauty. I found myself wholly sucked into this world with Camille and her family and friends. My heart was ripped in shreds as I followed this painfully magic story full of power, revolution, and a reminder that sometimes it’s not enough to be silent and safe, but sometimes you need to fight for what’s right and embrace every aspect of who you are.

Wonderfully done and a series I highly recommend to everybody.
Profile Image for Gretal.
621 reviews69 followers
January 18, 2021
Can't quite put my finger on what it is about this duology that makes me really love it, but this was great :)
Profile Image for Lauren.
356 reviews131 followers
January 29, 2021
This sequel was confusing for me.
Maybe it's because Enchantée was marketed so heavily as a French Revolution story, but this was not the sequel I was expecting. Enchantée let me down a bit because I assumed we'd experience some of the bloody moments during the French Revolution, and then when I read it, I realized the book served more as an introduction to the guillotine instead of in the midst of it. Though in Enchantée, I adored the writing, trips to Versailles, and the characters, specifically the magicians and nobles at the parties. The level of magic and mysticism blew me away, and I'll forever cherish the debut for that reason.
Now all of that previous enjoyment fell because this sequel is completely different from those parties. I lost that glamour and toil amongst the courtiers, and I could've handled that fine if the revolution took more of a forefront to the sequel than it ultimately did. The only real event that stuck out to me as *French Revolution* was the Women's March on Versailles, which Camille wasn't even truly there for most of it because she was up in the balloon.
I felt as if I was constantly teased and never given the blood that I was promised. The significant death of one of Camille's friends was the only moment where I felt the brutality of the revolution because everything else was slow and scheming, yet at that point, I didn't even care for Camille's sadness because I just wanted the story to continue. It was a little too late to snag my attention wholly.
The plot with Odette also seemed to come out of nowhere for me. Multiple new characters are introduced and have a heavy influence within the story, but it seemed odd that they didn't show up in the first book. It just was too much new information and too fast for me. Then, somehow, the story moved incredible slow until we get to the trial at the end. I didn't feel any action or excitement until those last 60ish pages where the tension cranked up.
I know now that I shouldn't have left my expectations and excitement for the historical moments during the revolution drive me, but it's a bit too late for that. I can't help how I expected the story to be. I apologize for allowing that to consume me, but when one of the bloodiest revolutions is mentioned as the basis for a story, as a history nerd, I'm going to expect the guillotine x10.
I'm sad that this review for one of my most anticipated sequels is so negative, but I will say the writing was just as spectacular as Enchantée. I love how Gita writes her stories! She makes me able to smell the scents as if I'm in the room with Camille, or her descriptions of the streets feel too lifelike to be true! It's amazing!! Her writing was the saving grace because even though I was bored most of the time, I could cherish her words themselves.
Overall, the focus on Camille's pamphlets/ Odette and entourages hatred for magicians just did not do it for me. I wanted more than that.
Profile Image for CR.
2,720 reviews28 followers
December 4, 2020
This was a great story with layers of romance and a wonderful story. Fight for the revolution and join your side as you go on an adventure of a lifetime! I am so glad that looks like we have another story on the way. I need more!! I loved how this one turned out and can not wait to see where this story leads.
Profile Image for Marissa.
475 reviews79 followers
April 16, 2021
I'm not sure what I expected from this book/duology, so it's hard to say I was disappointed. But for some reason, I never got fully pulled into the story either.

I appreciated Camille, her plight, her focus on the power of telling people's stories in order to bring attention to the injustices of the downtrodden and poor in the face of the French Revolution. Yes, total Les Mis vibe...

description

I also found the story between Camille and Lazare sweet and the highlight of the story, which is a shame because I feel like the story of the "Lost Girls" should have been more of where I connected to the story... but... it didn't happen.

description

The overall story was interesting though, a fun look at a magical realism that should sit comfortably next to historical fiction for the specific French details in the setting and many events. I recommend these for fans of magical realism stories...
Profile Image for Diana.
1,702 reviews215 followers
September 6, 2021
2'5-3 maybe?

It began interestingly enough, with the Lost Girls and the persecution of magicians, but soon nothing happens. Not really. I mean, Camille has to confront herself and decide if she can separate being a magician from her own persona or if it's being a magician what makes herself who she is, and whether Lazare can accept her for who she is or wants to cut away the parts of her he doesn't like, so they spent the book spliting and reuniting again...

I think this second part wasn't needed, the first one was amazing on it's own, and this second one doesn't really add much to the story.
Profile Image for J.S..
Author 2 books77 followers
January 1, 2021
I was lucky enough to read an early copy of this story and I was thrilled to be back in Camille's world for another magical adventure. This one deepens the themes of Book 1 and seeing a more mature Camille playing an even higher stakes game than she did in the first book made it a compulsive read.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 170 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.