Start by marking “Girl Gone Mad” as Want to Read:
Girl Gone Mad

Girl Gone Mad

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  14,568 ratings  ·  983 reviews
They say everything is fun and games until someone gets hurt. Well, someone did—and now the game has changed…

Emily Bennett works as a therapist in Pennsylvania, helping children overcome their troubled pasts—even as she struggles to forget her own. Once upon a time, Emily was part of a middle school clique called the Harpies—six popular girls who bullied the new girl to he
Published September 1st 2020 by Lake Union Publishing

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Girl Gone Mad
daph pink ♡
3.15✨

Too many unbelievable situations and events. Lorry-load of NSFW Language.

Well when I completed this book I had similar feelings like His and hers like it was good but it was like rather unbelievable and full of chance events. Other reviewers have discussed the plot, so I’ll only do a review.

1. PLOT / THEME / STORY LINE

I thought this started out pretty good. I thought with a bit of a cleanup of the language it might make a great young persons story. It felt formulated l seem to pick ma
Oscar
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

The story follows this past and present narrative. In the past, Emily Bennett was a member of this bully girl gang in middle school known as the 'Harpies'. Enter quiet new girl Grace Farmer. The Harpies did something to her in that time. Something terribly bad and concerning. After with what happened to Grace, the Harpies took a blood oath not tell anyone what they did to her. Fourteen years later, Emily is a therapist helpi
Farrah (on a short hiatus!)
2.5 ⭐ because I have difficulty enjoying a book that relies on shock value instead of realism or convincing writing.

Girl Gone Mad has a compelling and dark storyline. It also deals with some very heavy subjects.

Unfortunately there are too many plot holes and corny, stereotypical characters for me to rate this book any higher.

However, this book has received quite a few high ratings so I'd say that if you're considering reading it.... go for it! Especially if you enjoy YA books like One Of Us I
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
*** HAPPY PUB DATE- September 1st***

"Once a Harpy, always a Harpy." Holy mean girls! There are mean girls and then there are MEAN girls. I can honestly say this is the meanest bunch of girls I have ever encountered. Popular, powerful, hated and envied, these 14 year old's have it all, until they went too far....way too far.

We all know them, that group of girls that just have it all and they make sure you know it. This is why the new girl Grace couldn't help herself when they invited her into the
Ceecee
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I often thought through my teaching years that girls have a greater capacity for meanness but this book takes it to a whole new level. ‘Once a harpy always a harpy’ is the motto of a clique formed at Junior High, known as The Harpies. They are so well named. To say that they have delinquent tendencies, are competitive, can be bullies and downright saccharine nasty to their victims is perhaps an understatement. Emily, Olivia, Elise, Destiny, Courtney and leader MacKenzie target new girl Grace Far ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hurray! My hair is smoking: rest of my brain cells are on fire! I need a quick reset and upgrade them. This book stole a little sanity left in my soul and last marbles keep me functioning! Well played, well written!

Especially last twists pulled the rug out from under my feet! I’m sitting on the floor and banging my head to the wall, repeating “stupid! How couldn’t you see them coming!” Yes, guilty as charged: I didn’t expect them.

Book started like a great psychological drama and thought provok
Michael David
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Harpies were mean girls...but mean is way too nice. I’d probably use another adjective, or even a noun, that would get me kicked off Goodreads. So we can stick with mean girls.

Emily is a therapist who helps children with issues from their past. Fourteen years ago, she was a part of The Harpies, the popular middle school group who cruelly befriended new girl Grace, bullied her, and ruined her life. Now, when one of the Harpies commits suicide...and Emily thinks she sees Grace in a crowd of p
Michelle
Oct 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Emily makes a living today as a therapist helping young children but when Emily was 14 years old she was a member of The Harpies - a group of mean girls that took delight in tormenting others. Especially Grace Farmer. Quiet, shy, and weak Grace took punishment upon punishment at the hands of the Harpies which led to her suicide attempt.

Now, years later, and it seems the members of The Harpies are now taking their own lives and Emily fears that she'll be next unless she puts a stop to it first.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Sep 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Emily is now a therapist, but she was once a Harpy (a group of bullies in high school) and plays a part in bullying a girl named Grace and with such intensity that whatever happened has to remain a secret forever. This all comes back around to Emily when one of the other Harpies dies. And then Grace returns, at least to Emily, and now Emily doubts her own sanity, measured heavily with her guilt from what she did all those years ago.

Oh boy, this one got under my skin and felt extremely authentic.
Bren
“think it was then I realized it was true—a lot of the friends you have in high school will be friends you’ll never see again. The only thing keeping you together is a giant building. Once you’re out of that building, the invisible binds snap, and you’re set free.”
― Avery Bishop, Girl Gone Mad

Welll..well, well, well..was this a wild read or what?

I admit the beginning did not draw me in. Slow burn people! Wait for it.

And wait you should because this book is GOOD. It so plays with your head. But m
Jayme

“Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”

I remember reciting that Nursery Rhyme as a child, and “Once Upon a Time”...that was true...

But, in today’s World of Social Media and Cyber Bullying, I think we have all learned that names can hurt worse, than sticks and stones, because the body heals faster than the mind.

Fourteen years ago, Emily Bennett was part of middle school clique called the Harpies.
Six popular girls, until there were SEVEN.

Grace Farmer was a new
Christina
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Mean Girls” on steroids! This book takes “You can’t sit with us” to a WHOLE new level.

Having once been a junior high school girl myself, I did not find it at all a stretch to believe the mean junior high school girls (turned adults) would do any and all of the horrible things depicted in this book. You should definitely go into this book blind - maybe don’t even read the blurb - because the twists and intrigue begin early and keep coming at breakneck speed throughout the book.

Super fast-paced,
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
That was some seriously messed up shit! Back in middle school, 14 years ago there was a group of girls calling themselves the harpies. As it turns out the name was very apt. Mackenzie, Elise, Olivia, Courtney, Destiny and Emily were the harpies. Emily was feeling vulnerable as possibly the lowest ranked member of the group as her family wasn’t wealthy like the others. Until one day a new girl, Grace Farmer, turned up and Emily saw an opportunity to rise from the bottom rung. Of course the group ...more
Javier
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Once a Harpy, always a Harpy”

What a nice motto, isn’t it? With such a “pleasant” nickname who would have guessed these girls weren’t the sweetest and best behaved, right?

This story came to reinforce two personal views of mine:
1. I can’t stand teenagers and much less when they come in a group.
2. Karma’s a bitch (and yes, I’m not ashamed to say that I clapped my hands when some of these girls got their comeuppance). 😅

Seeing as “Mean Girls” was already taken, this book could have also been called
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Mean Girls to the extreme! Girl Gone Mad is one crazy psychological thriller and I could not get enough of it. I have been seeing this one all over social media and was very excited to finally read it. And it did not disappoint, this book will keep you turning pages to find out what would happen next. It was relatable, twisty and and addictive...you need to read this book.

In middle school they called themselves the Harpies and their motto was “ once a Harpie, always a Harpie” They were the popul
Sue
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a delicious book to devour, it was different than many books I’ve read lately so I was thoroughly invested in this one.

The Harpies

I think they should have been called something else! Vicious little madams who tormented Grace. The quieter one of the pact.
Something terrible happened and years later events are unfolding.........
Suicides are happening....
But why?
And why are they “seeing” Grace? Grace is dead!

A very well written book with lots of readers to get their teeth into.
Theresa Alan
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Be warned, this is far more gruesome than some mean middle school kids bullying their less wealthy “friend.” Because of that, unless you have a strong constitution for horrible stuff, I don’t recommend this at all.

A group of wealthy girls do something unimaginably horrific to Grace, a new girl in town, and vow never to speak of it. Many years later, one by one they seem to die by suicide. The mystery and writing is good, but this is a read that makes you puke in your mouth.
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 2.5/5 stars.

On the outside, Emily Bennett has the perfect life. She dedicates her days to working as a therapist and aiding her clients to heal from their trauma and goes home to spend her evenings with her perfectly nice fiancé. Emily has many skeletons cluttering her closet though and when she finds out that two of her former school friends have recently died they become increasingly more persistent in their attempts to resurface in her life, bringing the remnants of her former f
Monica
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-prime
Best thriller I’ve read in quite awhile! This story builds slowly and kept me guessing until the final pages. The timeline alternates between the present and middle school years for a group of girls. * Trigger warnings for self harm, bullying, and suicide.

As the two narratives weave the plot, we learn the psychological damage that was done decades earlier will come back to haunt them all. I highly recommend this book for any mystery/thriller reader.
Emma☀️
Girl Gone Mad is a fast-paced psychological thriller with some solid plot twists. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. This book was disturbing and not for the faint-hearted.

This novel follows Emily Bennett. She has an amazing job, a gorgeous fiancé, her life seems to be in order… so we thought. Until she finds out that someone from her past is coming back for revenge after what she and her former friends, dubbed the Harpies, did to them 14 years ago.

The plot was intriguing and we are th
Kimberly Belle
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Old grudges resurface with a vengeance in Avery Bishop’s, Girl Gone Mad, where former it-girls are dying off one by one. This twisty tale of bullying and toxic teenage friendships, of suspicions and obsessions, will keep you glued to the pages all the way to the unexpected ending. An addictive debut where revenge isn’t as neat or pretty as it seems.
Foxy Vixen
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
What a great debut book for Avery Bishop! I have to say that I don’t usually read books like this... but I was pleasantly surprised.
We are taken back and forth from present day to 14 years ago when the bullying incidents happen.
I found it very disturbing that Middle School girls were just SO mean... all to be accepted. Needless to say this led into adulthood as well.
My favorite character in this book was Courtney... she actually pulled her head out of the clouds... was living a hard life to supp
Cari
Girl Gone Mad by Avery Bishop was my Kindle First Read selection for August 2020..

This book currently has me feeling that post-book high and jumble of feelings with which I know every self-respecting book addict is all too familiar. You know what I'm talking about... Your racing mind might be saying "Geez that was good!" but you're also simultaneously muttering "Come on!" under your breath as you desperately search for more pages. What can I say? This book was super addictive and while the endin
Alessandra Torre
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and was pleasantly surprised to find out that Avery Bishop was a man. It's not an easy feat to write multiple characters from the opposite gender's POV, and he did an eerily good job of building this world of horrible mean girls.

I would love to know his alternative pen name so I can read more of his work.

This had some unexpected twists and turns, and I'm normally a shark for hunting out twists, so I really loved getting caught off guard by the ending.

Highly recommen
Lisa
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-like
What a horrible book I am sorry but I cannot stand bullying this author might find a group of girls set up another to be raped a good or but I don't therefore I will leave it at that.😡 ...more
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
He didn't know just how ruthless we could be. How conniving. How feral.
I need to say that Avery Bishop is a master at writing suspense...I was blown away how phenomenal this book was. The entire cast of characters in Girl Gone Mad are well developed and the story-line was thoroughly and intricately planned out. The twists and turns were shocking and unexpected—Loved that. The pacing is spot on...trust me when I say it’s unputdownable.

We girls—girls who will eventua
Ellen Gail
First glance at the cover and I was sure I'd already read this, but turns out I was remembering The Night Before.

In addition to being a book doppelgänger it's also a freebie, so kindle here I come!
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
4.5 STARS

Oh what a tangled web we weave.

During middle school, Emily and her popular friends, The Harpies, brutally bully Grace, a new classmate. Fourteen years later, Emily distances herself from her past and former friends. Engaged to Daniel and working as a therapist, she hides the hold Grace still has on her. When two Harpies commit suicide, the past and present collide.

GIRL GONE MAD kept me glued to my kindle, eager to figure out who was gaslighting Emily. I even wondered if she was doing it
angie
Aug 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
There is nothing redeeming about this book whatsoever. Full of despicable behavior and characters, Girl Gone Mad _could_ have taken some time to examine how absolutely horrible and inexcusable bullying is; instead the novel is just a sensationalistic thriller that seems to justify bullies, offer pat answers and reinforce negative stereotypes.

It’s insulting to people who have been bullied to suggest that teens bow to peer pressure and act the way they do because of it. Tons of teens don’t bully

• Median Gray
  • A Deep and Deadly Undertow (Garrison Gage #7)
  • The Boy from the Woods (Wilde #1)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #33)
  • Hear No Evil (Hidden Norfolk #5)
  • The Monsters We Make
  • Hurry Home
  • The Wives
  • Dead Land (V.I. Warshawski #20)
  • A Problematic Paradox
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • Have You Seen Me?
  • Good Girls Lie
See top shelves…
Avery Bishop is the author of GIRL GONE MAD.

Articles featuring this book

“Friends who would remind you of all the terrible things you’d done, once upon a time.” 4 likes
“The Olivia I remembered had never struck me as depressed, but oftentimes people do a good job of hiding their depression. They know when to smile. When to laugh. How to say the right things at the right time. Until the day finally comes when the depression becomes too strong and they’re tired of fighting it.” 2 likes