Start by marking “The Half Sister” as Want to Read:
The Half Sister

The Half Sister

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  7,134 ratings  ·  1,216 reviews
Kate and Lauren meet for Sunday lunch every week without fail, especially after the loss of their father--but a knock at the door is about to change everything. A young woman by the name of Jess holds a note with the results of a DNA test, claiming to be their half sister. As the fallout starts, it's clear that they are all hiding secrets, and perhaps this family isn't as ...more
Published June 16th 2020 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Half Sister, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Roxanne "Erm" is the Brit version of "um"…more"Erm" is the Brit version of "um"(less)
Steven Townsend
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  7,134 ratings  ·  1,216 reviews

Start your review of The Half Sister
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Nope! This didn’t work with me! When I see something illogical and nonsense point which affects the entire story’s development, I truly lose my interest. That’s exactly happened during my reading!

The story told by Kate and Lauren, two sisters, polar opposites, envying each other’s lives. Kate is successful reporter, climbing her career ladder faster, having a lovely husband Matt but she wants to have a baby, trying too hard, exhausted from IVF treatment process. She wants to have a family. And L
Chelsea Humphrey
Unfortunately, this was my least favorite book of the author's to date. When it comes down to it, the entire plot is tired, predictable, and less a mystery/thriller and more a family drama. If you are new to the genre and are looking for a light, fast read, maybe give this one a try for yourself.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.
Debra (having surgery will be back in a few days)
Family Drama, Family Secrets, Motherhood, Marriage, Lies, Deception, Shock

That knock on the door that changes everything!

Sisters Kate and Lauren have been getting together for a weekly lunch with their family after their father's death. One day there is a knock on the door and a young woman who claims that she is their half-sister. A sister they never knew about. A sister who has DNA proof which rocks all their worlds, or does it? Is the DNA proof real or is a forgery? Because if it is real, it
Jayme
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up!

NOW AVAILABLE!

This story may have you thinking TWICE about sending in a DNA sample to a genealogy company!

Remember-you cannot choose your family, and you could be opening a whole “can of worms” when you embark on this adventure!

Lauren has sent in a “sample” but she never expected “half sister” Jess, to show up at the family’s Sunday dinner!

Full sister, Kate, an investigative reporter, (and a “Daddy’s girl”) isn’t buying into the claim, that Jess is making, because if true, it
Holly  B
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it

3.75 STARS

More of a family drama and has quite a slow start (actually the first half), but really picks up in the second half with lots of family secrets revealed. I really enjoyed the book from 50% forward and wanted to pick it up and see what surprises were coming.

And there are surprises and twists that entertained me quite a bit. My expectations were low after reading lots of meh reviews, but it made for a entertaining domestic drama with a bit of edge towards the end.

I do feel that some ed
Kaceey
I wish I could say I loved it...but I didn’t.
I wish I could say I somewhat enjoyed it...but even that would be a stretch.

Who knew a simple DNA test could wreak total havoc on an already struggling family. Uh…hello, apparently everyone!

Kate and Matt are struggling to start a family, having failed all previous attempts at in vitro. Could they finally have their dreams come true?

Raising 3 children, Lauren and her husband appear to have a comfortable marriage. Looks can be deceiving. One never kno
Bridgett
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
The Half Sister wasn't a bad book by any means. The story had great potential and was mostly compelling. I enjoyed getting to know sisters, Kate and Lauren, who tell their tale through dual narratives. Kate, especially, was feisty, congenial, and likable. I personally wish the novel would have delved more deeply into her story...it was the sole focus at the beginning, but then melted into the background and all but disappeared. Jessica, the half sister, wasn't at all fleshed out, and Lauren, who ...more
Liz
May 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
2.5 stars, rounded down
The Half Sister deals with family secrets and how so often we don’t really know our parents or siblings. Jess shows up on the doorstep announcing she is the third daughter of Henry. Henry, deceased these past 10 months, is in no position to confirm or deny.
This book never engaged me. The first half just crawled along, as Lauren and Kate disagreed about everything, especially this new arrival. It finally picks up in the second half as everyone’s lies (real and of omission)
Susanne  Strong
How about No? Absolutely Not! This book was Absolutely Ludicrous.

Lunacy doesn’t even begin to describe it. None of the plot points in “The Half Sister” added up or made sense and it got more ridiculous as the book went on.

Family. Parents. Siblings. DNA.

Deception. Secrets. Lies.

If only that said it all!

If lunacy and deplorable characters are what you’re after, this book is for you!

While I’ve loved all of Sandie Jones’ prior novels, this one just didn’t do it for me. 1.5 stars.

A buddy listen
Katie B
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Once again Sandie Jones has come up with an entertaining story. I truly enjoyed watching everything unfold and this ended up being a quick read for me. However, even I can admit the story is kinda missing the wow factor. The family dynamics was the strength of the novel rather than the mystery/thriller/suspense elements.

Sisters Kate and Lauren eat lunch together every Sunday along with their husbands, Lauren's kids, and their mom. Kate and Lauren's father died about a year ago. During one of th
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
I was so happy to receive a copy of The Half Sister by Sandie Jones and I drove straight in. It was a fast read for me and I finished it in a few days. I enjoyed the story and the twists that it threw up. Not my favourite book by this author but still a fun, light read and I needed it.

One Sunday afternoon Kate and Lauren are having their usual Sunday lunch with their mother who is recently widowed when there is a knock on the door. A young woman called Jess is there and she claims to be their ha
Frank Phillips
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
3 1/2 or so Stars, rounded down. This was another solid release from Sandie Jones, and 3 Stars is not a bad rating for me, it's just that I've read so many great thrillers/suspense novels lately that this one in particular will most likely not stand out among them all when the year is up. I enjoyed this one's pacing and didn't feel that there were any dull moments, however it was most definitely a family drama and not a suspense or thriller, IMO. The characters in this drove me bonkers (Kate, Si ...more
Julie (JuJu)
Nov 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5/5 ⭐️’s

Those do-it-yourself DNA tests have become very popular. In fact, I’ve had one sitting on my dresser for months…just begging to be submitted. I think I’ll finally take the plunge, and hope I don’t find myself in a sticky situation like the family in this story!

Jess knows how to ruin a family get together! She knocks on the door, interrupting a family meal and shocking everyone when she claims to be the half-sister of Kate of Lauren.

It all started when Lauren submitted a DNA sample. And
Jenny
Apr 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Imagine getting a knock at the door during a family lunch and in that single moment after answering, your life is changed forever, in fact everyone in your family will never be the same. On the other side of the door is a young woman looking for her father. No big deal, right? She has the wrong house, right? No because she is looking for your Dad. The man who recently passed away. The man who was "faithfully" married to your mom, Rose, and father to two children, Lauren and Katie.
Do you believe
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I am so happy to have the opportunity to be part of the blog tour for The Half Sister by Sandie Jones. Thank you to the team at Pan Macmillan, for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

About The Author:

I have heard a lot about Sandie Jones, but I haven’t read any books by her prior to The Half Sister. Sandie Jones has worked as a freelance journalist for over twenty years, and has written for publications including the
Suzy
Jul 11, 2020 rated it liked it
3 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️

If you’ve ever thought about trying one of those DNA tests to discover your ancestry, you just might think twice about doing so after reading this book!

After reading Ms. Jones’ last book - The First Mistake - and really enjoying it, I couldn’t wait to get this one when I saw it was available to request. Unfortunately this book was not as fast-paced or juicy for me.

Two sisters, Kate and Lauren, enjoy lunch at their mother’s house every Sunday since the passing of their father Harry
Darinda
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two sisters, Lauren and Kate, are visiting their mother when they get some interesting news. A young woman knocks on the door, and claims to be their half-sister. She has proof, a DNA test. The sisters react differently to the news, with one being more welcoming than the other.

Told using alternating points of view of Lauren and Kate. The characters are well-developed, and the different points of view work well for this story. As the story progresses, secrets from the past and present are reveale
Javier
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The half sister” was my first Sandie Jones book and I still don’t know if it will be my last. If I had to describe it in just one word it would be meh.

The story is told through dual narratives, Kate and Lauren, sisters that are polar opposites but equally annoying. In fact there wasn’t a single character in the whole story I empathized with. Jess, honey, are you sure you wanna be part of that family? One of the reasons I couldn’t find the characters relatable at all was cause I listened the aud
Chelsey (a_novel_idea11)
3.5/5!

Sisters Kate and Lauren have a strained relationship. Kate, a journalist for a gossip magazine lives a fast-paced life chasing down stories and interviewing celebrities. Happily married and child free, Lauren is envious of Kate's seemingly glamorous life. Lauren is a nurse on maternity leave and is staying at home with three young children. Her husband is frequently out of work, often drinks away their extra cash, and they struggle to make ends meet. But on the surface, Lauren has everythi
Michelle
This book was off-the-wall and not in a good way! Definitely my least favorite book of the year so far and I’m not one to say something like that.

Sunday lunch has always been a routine fixture for the quaint little family of four. Both daughters, Kate and Lauren make every effort to come sit and chat with their mom, especially after their father passed away. It’s not even been a year with him gone, and they all miss him dearly. He was the glue they held them all together.

But, this particular S
Dana
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copies
The Half Sister is told from alternating perspectives of sisters Kate and Lauren. A knock on the door during Sunday lunch - a DNA test and a woman claiming to be their half sister turns everything upside down. From there the story unfolds...

I would have loved much more from both Harry (flashbacks perhaps as he's deceased) and Jess's characters. A thrown in chapter or two told from their perspective would have been really satisfying.

Overall this was a quick read, I just feel I craved more from
Nursebookie
What happens when a knock on the door changes everything?

Sisters Lauren and Kate have a lovely tradition of spending time with each other weekly over lunch with their mother Rose on Sundays. This particular Sunday, they receive a visit from a young woman named Jess who claims that she is their half sister following the results of an online DNA testing kit. Uploading the data, she is able to connect with Lauren. Kate working as a journalist is sceptic by nature and put her investigative skills i
Lisa Leone-campbell
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sisters Kate and Lauren and their mom Rose have been dealing with great loss in their lives. First, the matriarch of their family, their dad and husband, died suddenly leaving terrible grief in the close knit family. Kate has been desperately trying to get pregnant through IVF with her husband Matt. This is their last shot. Lauren, who has three children with her husband Simon is beginning to realize her life is miserable. Unbeknownst to her family, Simon is verbally and physically abusing her.

B
Dennis
May 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Half Sister is a predictable family-drama with a light mystery component. I loved The Other Woman, but have struggled with Sandie Jones' follow up works. I don't think I will continue with this author's journey, but I definitely feel as if this book will resonate with light mystery fans and will be a great summer read. I've gotten strict when it comes to mystery novels, and I just feel as if this story has been told already. ...more
MissBecka Gee
Meh. It was a decent family drama.
I was expecting a thriller/suspense type, so not what I was expecting.
********** FREE FROM GIVEAWAY ***********
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Half Sister by Sandie Jones. (2020).

Kate and Lauren are sisters. As they gather for their weekly lunch with their mum, a knock on the door changes everything. The woman at the door, Jess, claims to be their half sister which would mean the unthinkable...that she's the secret daughter of their recently deceased father Harry. As the fall-out starts, it's clear that each is hiding secrets, and that perhaps this family isn't as perfec
Lindsey Gandhi
3.5 stars that I rounded up.

I think the first thing to point out is this isn't your typical thriller. This is more like a really interesting mystery story, in my opinion. I like the storyline concept of genetics being used to solve old cold cases. That's being used in real life and it's a great idea for a story. There were so many different ways this story could have gone and that's part of what I enjoyed and kept me interested. About the time I thought I knew the direction the author was going
Alayne Emmett
Feb 11, 2021 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this book and as I started it I thought “ I thinks I’m going to enjoy this”!! Don’t get me wrong, I did in some ways but, most of this book I didn’t enjoy very much. I found the characters very unlikeable, very concerned with looking after themselves and not each other. The fighting between the sisters was unsettling as well as the secrecy which didn’t sit well with me, coming as I do from a close family where we look after each other and support each other as best as we can ...more
Shelby
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
What would you do if you had a sibling you never knew existed?

Sisters Lauren and Kate are shocked when a much younger woman named Jess shows up on their mother’s doorstep, claiming to be their half sister and the daughter of their late father. Kate doesn’t believe her father ever would’ve had an affair, as she had a close bond with him. Lauren wasn’t as close to their father and is now open to getting to know their new half sister.

But Kate decides to look into who their supposed half sister tru
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I have to say this book was very captivating. I could not turn the pages fast enough I had to know who did what and when they did it. I love a good mystery and Jones did not disappoint. This is one twisted read with one of the best plots I have read in a while. 4.5 stars and I HIGHLY recommend this one.
Bookish First Rea...: The Half Sister by Sandie Jones 10 30 Apr 02, 2020 01:01AM

• Late to the Party
  • Close to the Truth
  • Found
  • Say No More (Romantic Suspense #24; Sacramento #2)
  • Grace Is Gone
  • The Monsters We Make
  • Last Chance Summer
  • Not Another Love Song
  • The Green Dress (True Colors)
  • Influence
  • The Jetsetters
  • The Truth About Keeping Secrets
  • Fearless
  • The Good Mother
  • The Sunday Girl
  • Take It Back
  • Hour of the Assassin
  • The Essential Air Fryer Cookbook for Beginners: Easy, Foolproof Recipes for Your Air Fryer
Sandie Jones has worked as a freelance journalist for over twenty years, and has written for publications including the Sunday Times, Woman’s Weekly and the Daily Mail. She lives in London with her husband and three children. The Other Woman is her debut novel.